Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Vampire Academy discussion

Did Rose Get Less Likable Through Out The Series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 215 (215 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 16, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

When I first started reading this series I absolutely adored it. I loved Rose's independence and unmoving loyalty to her friends, especially Lisa. But, as the series got into the last few books, I felt like Rose became very selfish. Starting when she uses Adrian's feelings for her, for his money, even though she knows she could never really return what he feels. Not to mention the fact that she basically ditches Lisa. And that was just the start. Over the course of the last, what? 2? 3 books (It's been a while since I've read them and books in a series tend to blend together in my head)? She continues to use, cheat, and string Adrian along. Throughout the last book, she was just down right cruel, to Adrian, who's done nothing but help her and support her through all of the books (or at least since he was introduced into them). Plus, the fact that she completely ignores her duty as Lisa's guardian and best friend to be there, while Lisa's being basically attacked by other royals and finding all of the stuff about her dad and everything else that's going on. I understand that other things were happening, but I just think she got very selfish as the book went on..

message 2: by Mim (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mim The way she manipulated Adrian was really bad, i agree. He had some major feelings for her, and as soon as she was out of his sight she goes back to dimitri.And I get what you said about her not being there for lissa all the time, but Lissa's had to learn to think for helself some time. She was actuaally the one that annoyed me a bit. Its like if she didnt have someone there to tell her what to do shed be lost.

I liked Rose throughout the whole series tho, shes a major badass

message 3: by S.L.J. (last edited Nov 17, 2011 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.L.J. After reading the series for a second time I really started to notice just how many people die because of Rose's actions and apart from Mason, I never got the sense that she felt much guilt about it.

The human security guards that Dimitry kills in SB would have been saved if she hadn't stopped Eddie from staking him. I think there were about 12 of them and she only mentions that they are dead because of her once or twice afterwards and then it's forgotten.

And in Bloodlines, she shows zero signs of remorse for what she did to Adrian even when she's in the same room as him. In fact, Abe actually shows more concern than she does...and that's saying something.

Fangs for the Fantasy I can't say i ever really liked Rose

i think she wasn't so much selfish per se (she didn't have much in the way of personal goals) but she was ridiculously "independent". And I put in the scare quotes for a reason - her "independence" meant never listening to people even when they were right, ignoring even legitimate authority figures and repeatedly getting in people's faces and acting out or lashing out when it was an overreaction

She also ignored good ol' common sense a few too many times. It turned out for the best each time, but it doesn't change that her decisions, when she made them, were poor to say the least

I don't mind her abandonning Lissa so much because the natura of Moroi society is so grossly exploitative of the dhampire that it was actually nice to see her reject, even slightly for a little while, the whole living to serve thing

Jezka I think the thing a lot of people are missing is that Rose has issues with her control. She doesn't have a real hold on it, and that is something she slowly starts to learn through each book; though she will never have complete control. Just like Dimitri doesn't have great control either, but he rarely shows he is lacking.
I believe Rose was allowed some moments of selfishness. She is only seventeen, and she is being taught that the Moroi come before her--always. She goes through her own troubles, but she feels she has no one to confide in because "they come first."
She may have ditched Lissa, but Lissa needed to learn to speak for herself. And, c'mon, she couldn't have been too much of a great friend if she never took notice of what was going on between Rose and Dimitri...
I loved Rose from Vampire Academy to Last Sacrifice. I don't think she ever intended to hurt Adrian, but Dimitri is her, for lack of better word, soul mate. I can't imagine it would be easy to constantly fight against that.

Emily V I used to like her b4 she broke Adrian's heart. POOR ADRIAN! I know that spirit was affecting her but she didn't really care about him ever!

message 7: by .·:*¨ × Shannon♥Beel Stole & Ate My Heart × ¨*: (last edited Nov 19, 2011 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Beel Stole & Ate My Heart × ¨*: I was never really an fan of rose, she annoyed me but at least in FB, she grown up an little. too bad in later books she got very hypocritical and do not get me started on how she treated Adrian and Lissa. Sure rose was an fighter but she wasn't an very good person.

Veronica I always liked her. She was being realistic and brave battling Strigoi for the sake of keeping Moroi safe and happy. Most of us feel rose was unfair to Adrian but i think Adrian deserved it. If he thought by throwing himself on someone he can win their love, then it is his fault if things didn't click. Isn't Dimitri her soulmate? Just because he turned strigoi doesn't mean she has to immediately replace him with Adrian. Whatever she felt for Adrian was due to her loneliness and not to mention broken heart.
Lissa is royal and rose is about to be her official guardian, that doesn't mean she has to prevail herself upon Lissa all her life. Doesn't Lissa have a life of her own and if she is gonna become a queen being babysat by her guardian will get her nowhere. There's a need to draw a line in friendship as well as in profession. Besides Rose has more problems than to mope over the indiscretion of Lissa's father, lets give her some credit, she goes on a quest to find the Jill doesn't she?
If she mopes over the death of innocent ppl she can quit this job and raise damphir kids, that would be peaceful . Battling with strigoi doesn't give damphirs time and mind to think about innocents dying. It is sad to see so many dying but pinpointing all the blames at rose is baseless.

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Beel Stole & Ate My Heart × ¨*: Veronica wrote: "I always liked her. She was being realistic and brave battling Strigoi for the sake of keeping Moroi safe and happy. Most of us feel rose was unfair to Adrian but i think Adrian deserved it. If he ..."

So since things didn't click between him and rose, He deserves to be used, lend on & cheated on? that's bull. besides he truly loved her, at least he tried to be good for her but rose still complained about him no matter what.

message 10: by Vyta (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vyta Rose is a very interesting character. But yeah, it's strange that she didn't care about those security guards...Actually, she never cared about anything except Dimitry and Lissa. But she's a teenager in love. And a part of me agrees that Adrian needed Rose to show him the real world. I think he never loved anyone, except Rose...He always had the looks, the money, the power. And you can't win true love with that. What Rose did was cruel, but he needed it. What pisses me off is that she never really felt bad about it. She's one of those people, who do whatever they want, no matter the price. They will leave everything burning around them, but they will have their happy ending. Rose grew on me, but she is selfish... I think she isn't a character, who should be admired. (Sorry for my English...)

S.L.J. Blackrain wrote: "Rose is a very interesting character. But yeah, it's strange that she didn't care about those security guards...Actually, she never cared about anything except Dimitry and Lissa. But she's a teenag..."

Good call. She got the job done but then she dismised it like it was nothing. I prefer characters like Dean Winchester (Supernatural fan here) who struggle with the guilt and depression but still manage to rise to the occasion while being a hell of alot funnier than Rose.

P.S. Season 7 rocks!

message 12: by Siam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siam Campbell yer got put off her quickly. same as dimitri even though i still like him. i liked her attitude at the start but became worst!!!!!

Fanny When I started reading books Rose fascinated with her attitud I identified with it .. that things you mentiones about Adrian is sadly true ... he did not deserved it because he really loved Rose ... but also I think that I understand the fact that Rose and Dimitri were soul mates...thats isn't a justify what she did..but well love almost always win :D...I love Adrian he adorable but he deserved something more than Rose...

Veronica .·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Like Woe × ¨*:·. wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I always liked her. She was being realistic and brave battling Strigoi for the sake of keeping Moroi safe and happy. Most of us feel rose was unfair to Adrian but i think Adrian de..."

Just because Adrian loves Rose doesn't mean he owns her, shouldn't Rose love him the same way?
Adrain's love is unrequited.

harshini I liked Rose's badass character but other than that she can be.......kind of.....

message 16: by Siam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siam Campbell shes very selfish and boastful!!!!!!!!!!!!....

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Beel Stole & Ate My Heart × ¨*: Veronica wrote: ".·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Like Woe × ¨*:·. wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I always liked her. She was being realistic and brave battling Strigoi for the sake of keeping Moroi safe and happy. Most of us feel..."

Of course he doesn't own her. but that doesn't mean Rose has the right to take advance of him. She was using the fact that he obviously had feelings for her to get what she wanted. Regardless, Adrian didn't deserve any of that. Rose used him and rarely thought about his feelings, the only time she thought of him and cheating was when she was holding Dimitri's hand.

message 18: by Sema (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sema I really liked her but it seemed to me she was really full of herself; and didn't actually thought about other people besides Dimitri and Lissa. I'm glad she ended up with Dimitri though.

message 19: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi I liked Rose from start to finish. She didn't always make the best choices but who makes the best choices all the time in stressful situations. I'm 26 and I've made a lot of dumb ass mistakes in my life. It's understandable that someone who's 17, in love, and emotionally unbalanced would make some wrong decisions in stressful situations. I understand Rose and I understand the decisions that she made.

As for Adrian, I don't feel like she manipulated him. She did make some bad decisions with him by jumping into a relationship with him while she was mourning and for not breaking up with him when she found out that Dimitri was still alive. I got into many arguments about this in the past but that's still how I feel. Adrian knew that she was still in love and mourning. Even before, she never led him on or made him think that she wanted something from him. She didn't even want anything until she needed money. She didn't promise that she would come back but she said if she did then she'd give him a chance. He knew he shouldn't give in to her but he wanted a chance and he really did care about making her happy.

In the end, Rose realized that he was playing the victim. He truly was. The only reason why he stopped smoking and drank less while they were together was because of her. He wasn't making any changes in his life for himself but for her, to make her want to be with him. I was pleasantly surprised that Adrian himself realized in Bloodlines that he realized that he'd played the victim too. LOL And it seems like no one understood that because they were so in love with Adrian. I like Adrian but I love Dimitri. I was happy that he realized that he could do better, he could overcome what he'd gone through.

Veronica ★ Kimi ★ wrote: "I liked Rose from start to finish. She didn't always make the best choices but who makes the best choices all the time in stressful situations. I'm 26 and I've made a lot of dumb ass mistakes in my..."

Just perfect. Thank you

S.L.J. ★ Kimi ★ wrote: "I liked Rose from start to finish. She didn't always make the best choices but who makes the best choices all the time in stressful situations. I'm 26 and I've made a lot of dumb ass mistakes in my..."

For a slacker and an addict that self medicates on a regular basis in an effort to hold of complete and total insanity, I think he made a pretty good run of things for her. Adrians biggest problem is that he has nothing driving him.

Rose gave him a reason to try and be a better person and he truly believed in her but she never truly believed in him. She didn't respect him enough to be completely honest and tell him that her heart was still fully stuck on Dimitri which I think is just plain wrong.

After all the support he gave her, she couldn't even do that for him? The poor bastard really fell for the wrong woman.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Veronica wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "I liked Rose from start to finish. She didn't always make the best choices but who makes the best choices all the time in stressful situations. I'm 26 and I've made a lot of dumb a..."

LIKE! I can be a complete dumbass to, i mean who says "OMFG your as red as a blueberry? or flips an emtpy trolley?" anyways, offtopic,
^^^^^^^ this totally sums it all up :)

message 23: by Jazz (last edited Nov 21, 2011 03:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazz ★ Kimi ★ wrote: "In the end, Rose realized that he was playing the victim. He truly was. The only reason why he stopped smoking and drank less while they were together was because of her. He wasn't making any changes in his life for himself but for her, to make her want to be with him. I was pleasantly surprised that Adrian himself realized in Bloodlines that he realized that he'd played the victim too. LOL And it seems like no one understood that because they were so in love with Adrian. I like Adrian but I love Dimitri. I was happy that he realized that he could do better, he could overcome what he'd gone through."

I don't know about all that. Neither Adrian nor Rose nor Dimitri are completely faultless in the outcome of the whole situation. Which is why I don't get mad at any of them. Though I really don't see how anyone could deny that Rose did do Adrian wrong. She did lead him on, seeing as to how she entered into a relationship with him when she knew from (before really) the start that she wasn't going fully commit.

message 24: by Jazz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazz I found Rose to be entertaining althroughout the series. I will admit thought, she does get kinda old. She can be selfish to a degree and extremely arrogant which gets very annoying. And her drama with Dimitri got old real fast, like by the end of Blood Promise. But overall, I still thinks she's an awesome character.

Fanny Dani wrote: "I found Rose to be entertaining althroughout the series. I will admit thought, she does get kinda old. She can be selfish to a degree and extremely arrogant which gets very annoying. And her dra..."

yeah thats true...even with all the drama she is a good person...she take care of the ones she love...a thing with Adrian..well thats was something kind of difficult

S.L.J. Adrian, Eddie, Sydney, Jill...all the characters in bloodlines are all the ones that Rose screwed over.

Jacqueline No way, she was just as bigger bad ass as the end as she was at the beginning and I didn't want it to end

Sandy I stopped liking her from the fourth book.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't really start disliking Rose until Blood Promise, and it was all downhill from there. She has constantly showed herself to be a selfish, maniuplative, hypocritical, and immature person. There is nothing that excuses her behavior for me. A protagonist should mature and grow as a person throughout a series, not digress into a whining infant.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Sammy wrote: "Adrian, Eddie, Sydney, Jill...all the characters in bloodlines are all the ones that Rose screwed over."

Exactly and people are constantly crying "They'll be in the spinoff though!" but that doesn't excuse Rose's behavoir. She didn't give a fuck what happened to them as long as she got Dimitri.

message 31: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi My bad, I completely forgot to come back to this discussion... I know even in the end Rose cared about everyone affected by the events. But she was also happy that her friends willingly were there to help her despite what could happen to them.

@Veronica Thanks a lot! =)

@Sammy Very true. He didn't have drive and yes she should have been honest. At times it's hard to be honest but regardless one should be honest, even when one is trying to protect someone from pain. I don't deny that.

@Courtney16 LOL

@Dani I agree that no one is faultless when it comes to relationships. I've never denied that. I also don't deny that Rose was wrong for getting into a relationship with Adrian.

@Jacqueline Rose was totally still bad ass in the end. I didn't want it to end either but sadly, all good things do. =/

Kaitlin Smiffy Smith i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!

Fangs for the Fantasy I was never really a fan of rose. She was aggressive for no reason (coming off as a bad tempered teenager) but she did get worse, I think. more manipulative, more determined to get her own way no matter what - and her decisions became less and less sensible, not more. She continually made decisions that, really, should have blown up in her face, it's pure chance they didn't.

message 34: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!"

Thank you thank you Smify! She totally did get more BAD ASS. It's a shame certain people don't understand the Rose persona!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!"

Thank you thank you Smify! She totally did get more BAD ASS. It's a shame certain people do..."

LOL if you're going to insult people, at least call them out by name instead of passive agressively doing it. She's a person who cheated on her boyfriend, used said boyfriend for money, watched people get killed in front of her and did nothing about it, and never took any responsbility for her actions but rather blamed everyone else. I think I understand her persona just fine.

message 36: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!"

Thank you thank you Smify! She totally did get more BAD ASS. It's a sham..."

Dude really? Are we really going to do this again? I didn't have you in mind. I haven't thought about you at all. I didn't have anyone particularly in mind. I didn't insult anyone. Stop trying to create drama. Why do you even care what I say? I didn't say anything to you, nor did I attack you.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!"

Thank you thank you Smify! She totally did get more ..."

Then why add that comment "it's a shame CERTAIN people don't understand Rose's persona.?" You were clearly referencing people in this post who do not like Rose and attribute it to a lack of comprehension, which isn't the case. Just because someone doesn't like a character doesn't mean they are too dumb to understand, which is what you implied by saying that.

message 38: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!"

Thank you thank you Smify! She to..."

Ur thinking too much into it, really! Gosh, are you stalking me or something in all Vampire Academy topics? One would think that you would just stop reading stuff I say. You seem to have issues with my commentary. Is it really that serious? Its just a book. Fiction. Things that I say are my opinion. I'm certainly not aiming to offend you. Like I said. And I don't even know you. I didn't say anyone was dumb. Its definitely a fact that many people have different understandings and interpretations of Rose and the book as a whole.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!!"

Thank you tha..."

Wow, really don't flatter yourself. I come onto Vampire Academy topics because it was a series I enjoyed despite its flaws, not for you. I didn't know that made me a stalker and I wasn't allowed into certain posts. And we've only ran into each other in ONE other VA discussion, so who's the one being dramatic? And the "it's just a book" argument doesn't make any sense because if that's the case then why discuss them at all?

message 40: by Kimi (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS as the books went on!..."

The person who keeps starting drama over a book is being dramatic and that is in fact you. Every time I say something that you don't like, you think way too much into it. I think we've figured out that there is no middle ground with us. There's a difference between discussing and lashing out. see this is ruining the discussion so I'm going to stop speaking to you now. This will only get worse and worse.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Midnight_Kiss wrote: "★ Kimi ★ wrote: "Smify!! wrote: "i dont think she did acctually i just think she got more BAD ASS..."

I don't think actually analyzing what's in a book and calling characters/people out on their behavior is "starting drama" but whatever. If you can't handle it, so be it.

message 42: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Hahahaha

Angel I liked Rose in all of the books. No ones perfect and ppl make mistakes and I think she cared about Adrian, but not as much as she did Dimitri. Everyone has there own opinion and Rose is my favorite character.......

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Angel wrote: "I liked Rose in all of the books. No ones perfect and ppl make mistakes and I think she cared about Adrian, but not as much as she did Dimitri. Everyone has there own opinion and Rose is my favorit..."

She might have cared about Dimitri more bit she should have broken up with Adrian before sleeping with him.

message 45: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Angel wrote: "I liked Rose in all of the books. No ones perfect and ppl make mistakes and I think she cared about Adrian, but not as much as she did Dimitri. Everyone has there own opinion and Rose is my favorit..."

She was and still is my favorite too. I agree with you. =)

message 46: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May what rose did for Adrian may be cruel but he had to have a set doen to uinderstand what life islike he can't just expect everything to be handed for him in a gold platter just because of his money and don't really say you wanted rose to end up with Adrian she has always loved Dimitri and Adrian knew that no one should leave love and stay in a relationship just because you don't want to hurt the man that would be bitchy but what she did was at least dignified she didn't run from it or hide and made feeble exuses as for the guradians she didn't mourn well it's really hard tomourn someone you don't know and I know she should feel guilty but guilt isn't what got her to be an amazing dhampir,, killing is a part of her profession and I know the gurdians were innocent but don't bullshit yourself and tell me that you really facing the same situation were gonna stake the man you love and she's not lissa's babysitter and If you remember she wasn't yet assigned to liss when she went to Sibieria and the ways of the moroi society are wrong and should be written anew because that what rose felt like she was sacrficing her life and her love to be with her friend and nobody should be forced to pick lissa came around at the end and the love of her life has turned into a bloodsucking bastard she's entitled into a little bit on unfairness I have alot to add but I can't phrase myideas and If you really think rose is selfish sorry but you didn't understand the book neither did you uinderstaand rose's character

harshini I don't get how people can be trained to protect someone else and care about themselves......or is that just me being thick?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Harshini wrote: "I don't get how people can be trained to protect someone else and care about themselves......or is that just me being thick?"

Apparantly being selfish and a hypocrite equals being a badass.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

May wrote: "what rose did for Adrian may be cruel but he had to have a set doen to uinderstand what life islike he can't just expect everything to be handed for him in a gold platter just because of his money ..."

Cheating on someone, using them for thier money, not taking responsibilty for your actions and blaming everyone else and thier mother is the epitome of selfish and immature. My reading comprehension skills are fine. And all Rose did was give excuses

message 50: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Midnight_Kiss wrote: "May wrote: "what rose did for Adrian may be cruel but he had to have a set doen to uinderstand what life islike he can't just expect everything to be handed for him in a gold platter just because o..."

I don't agree with her for cheating that you're right on but Adrian knew what she was gonna use the money on it's not like she fooled him and she never blames anything on anyone, she blamed herself for getting liss in trouble never did she blame lissa she took resbonsibility of that she took responsibilty and blamed herself when she found out that mason has gone after strigoi and she went out to help him she took responsibility of lissa and took the dark effects of spirit she blamed herself for Mason's death she made a vow and abided by it when she followed Dimitri to save his soul and kill she took responsiblity and told his family about his death when the morori didn't even bother and she didn't even emit the truth or tried to downplay it for them I could go on and onbut I guess you got the picture

« previous 1 3 4 5