What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Peck something; adventures with, perhaps?[s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sorcia (new)

Sorcia Macnasty (SorciaMacNasty) | 19 comments I believe this was non-fiction and recounted the author's adventure with his childhood pal, who I believe was named "Peck" or something like it. It was very Tom Sawyery in feel. At the end, you learn the trouble-making, wise-cracking main character, Peck, eventually became a minister. Thoughts? It was read aloud to my 5th grade class in 1990.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Oh my goodness! I believe I read this! I'll be thinking on it. hmmmm...

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Was there also a sort of side plot with one of the boys searching after gold in a forest pool? I seem to remember something like that.

message 4: by Sirvantes (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Sirvantes | 82 comments I think the book is Soup, by Robert Newton Peck, first published in 1974 (or one of it's several sequels). These are humorous semi-autobiographical stories about Peck and his best friend Soup growing up in the 1920's in rural Vermont. His friend Soup (Luther Wesley Vinson) does indeed grow up to become a minister. Soup is dedicated "to the Reverend Luther Wesley Vinson, a shepherd of his flock, from his first sheep."

message 5: by Sorcia (new)

Sorcia Macnasty (SorciaMacNasty) | 19 comments Sirvantes wrote: "I think the book is Soup, by Robert Newton Peck, first published in 1974 (or one of it's several sequels). These are humorous semi-autobiographical stories about Peck and his best friend Soup growi..."

Yes! That's it -- thank you so much.