Around the World discussion

closed topics > What will be your first book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Or if you already started reading your 52 books, what was the first book you chose to read?

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Leonard The Bookseller of Kabul. No special reason, just the first country on my list and I have it at home.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 75 comments Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness -- I got it on audio from the library and since it was available, I went ahead and listened to it :-) I think I will have read at least 3 books from my list before January actually rolls around. Let's face it, I have no self discipline when it comes to books!

message 4: by RG (new)

RG (pascualduarte) | 36 comments Either Anonymous Celebrity, or Mulata. Of the books I already have, I figure these two are likely the ones to take me the longest to get through, so I want to get going on at least one of them while I have plenty of time.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments That is a good strategy, Rodolfo. I have several chunksters on my list, so I'm thinking 1 a month.

message 6: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments i'm going to start with Agaat...

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Wendy wrote: "Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness -- I got it on audio from the library and since it was available, I went ahead and listened to it :-) I think I will have read at leas..."

If your shelves are like mine, Wendy, there will be plenty of books to replace your early reads. What fun is discipline, anyhow?

message 8: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) "Agaat" it is, beginning Jan 1.

message 9: by Mikki (new)

Mikki As of right now, I'm thinking [Book: The Ice Palace], but don't hold me on that...

message 10: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin Looks like I am starting with Kristin Lavransdatter (for a group read) and Doctor Zhivago for this group read.

message 11: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Ack! KL! I forgot about that...oh gosh two big books to kick off the new year. Uh-oh. Time for me to work on a calendar for myself.

message 12: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (starfish13) | 155 comments Oh, what planning! I think whatever is on the top of the pile on Jan 1. As I just got a big parcel from Amazon the other day, its likely to be either my Canada or Haiti choice.

Unless I go for the thickest book first to get it out of the way, in which case it will be [Book:We, The Drowned|7988467] by Carsten Jansen.

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I will start with The Oracle of Stamboul because I won it on first reads and need to review it.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Janice wrote: "I will start with The Oracle of Stamboul because I won it on first reads and need to review it."

Oooo! A free book. Congrats!

message 15: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) At least, Agaat will be the beginning week of January and Dr Zhivago the final week of January.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I'll be starting the new year with The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë. It's a group read (1001 books) and I've been wanting to read it for ages.

message 17: by Mikki (new)

Mikki I think that group reads will be a nice way to start off the new year! Asmah, Merieke, Genia and now Anne all have the right idea.

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise | 120 comments I'll start with The Complete Cosmicomics - as I've promised to review it in January :-)

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue I'll be reading Agaat along with many others and I also plan to read The Invisible Bridge. I may start the latter over the holidays. I've been wanting to read it and actually received it as a gift last Christmas. It's time has more than come.

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Sue wrote: "I'll be reading Agaat along with many others and I also plan to read The Invisible Bridge. I may start the latter over the holidays. I've been wanting to read it and a..."

Sue, I'm impressed that you read your books so quickly. :)

message 21: by Sue (last edited Nov 18, 2011 08:53AM) (new)

Sue When I read, I do tend to read quickly--with fiction. Not so quickly with non-fiction. Some books, like mysteries, I read very quickly so they are fun for me, almost relaxation. That's why I have a few in my 52 books challenge (and have been finding more as possible alternatives as needed).

I do sometimes wonder if this quick reading may be a liability on some level in terms of retaining the details of what I read. but I'm not going to sit and worry about that with a huge TBR and all the nice plot summaries listed here at GR.

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen My strategy is to start with a few of my shorter books ... The Summer Book and Like Water for Chocolate ... so I can build up some early momentum - knock out a critical mass of books early on so I feel good about myself, haha.

message 23: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Kristen wrote: "My strategy is to start with a few of my shorter books ... The Summer Book and Like Water for Chocolate ... so I can build up some early momentum - knock out a critical mas..."

i looooooooooooved The Summer Book. :D

message 24: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter So far Agaat :)

message 25: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Kristen wrote: "My strategy is to start with a few of my shorter books ... The Summer Book and Like Water for Chocolate ... so I can build up some early momentum - knock out a critical mas..."

You and I are on the same page.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been going already since I have a different self-imposed deadline, but I'll try to start something for this challenge on 1/1.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) I'm starting with The Bronze Bow since I had picked it up to read for my Newberry book goal. I had just started it when I saw this group and decided to wait. Working in a school library I felt like I needed to read as many of the Newberry award books as possible, so this year I've been going back to the older books and reading them. Many of the older titles are set in other countries and I find it interesting to see the difference in the types of books selected 40+ years ago compared to today's titles.

message 28: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns as the first book.

message 29: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I haven't the faintest idea. That will depend on my mood then.....

Am I the only one who thinks like this?!

message 30: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Don wrote: "I'm starting with The Bronze Bow since I had picked it up to read for my Newberry book goal. I had just started it when I saw this group and decided to wait. Working in a school library I felt lik..."

that's really interesting! you'll have to share exciting insights as they occur.

message 31: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Chrissie wrote: "I haven't the faintest idea. That will depend on my mood then.....

Am I the only one who thinks like this?!"

Chrissie, normally i would be like that...but moderating groups has made me behave slightly differently...strange, huh?! i'm actually excited to read Agaat and have lots to read before January that i am also excited about. surprisingly, i very rarely feel annoyed about reading books that i didn't think i was in the mood for. i'm not expressing this well, i don't think. basically, goodreads has succeeded in making me CrAzY.

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Marieke wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I haven't the faintest idea. That will depend on my mood then.....

Chrissie, normally i would be like that...but moderating groups has..."

Are you saying that you used to be like me but now having moderated in a group you have changed? Is that it? There are so many books I am excited about I simply cannot decide now. Because now is different from then..... I am not so hot at explaining this either!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Chrissie wrote: "I haven't the faintest idea. That will depend on my mood then.....

That is how I feel too, Chrissie. At that point I will have been off work for two weeks and probably read a lot of other stuff, so I'm sure I'll be wanting a change. But who knows what I'll be reading over the holidays! Maybe it will be freezing outside and I'll want something set somewhere warm. Maybe it will be unseasonably warm and I feel like I need some cold.

I'm pretty sure I'll start with a longer book since I'll have more downtime before the semester starts. So excited though!

message 34: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie54321) | 23 comments I'm trying to get most of my books on Kindle, and the only one I haven't managed to get in kindle format yet is James Mitchener's Poland, so I've ordered that today from Amazon. If it's anything like his book Hawaii, it will be a long read - so I might get a head start on the challenge and begin reading it in December!

Most of the books I have chosen are new to me; a few I have read before, but remember how enjoyable they were, and look forward to reading them again. I'm still a few short of my whole list, so I will post it up when I've finished.

message 35: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Welcome, Angie, look forward to seeing your list! :)

message 36: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Chrissie, no worries, we are understanding each other! :D

Angie--i liked poland a lot more than hawaii...in fact, i'm not sure i ever finished hawaii. :/

poland is long, but it was a fascinating read. :D

message 37: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jenny and Marieke, nice! I am not alone.

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie54321) | 23 comments Thanks, Marieke - I was worried I wouldn't like it as much (I loved Hawaii - I bought my copy on our honeymoon in Hawaii 23 years ago, and I must have read it about 6 times before it fell apart.) Unfortunately none of his books are available on kindle, or I would have them all.

I'm looking forward to reading Poland now :)

message 39: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 75 comments Angie wrote: "Thanks, Marieke - I was worried I wouldn't like it as much (I loved Hawaii - I bought my copy on our honeymoon in Hawaii 23 years ago, and I must have read it about 6 times before it fell apart.) ..."

You guys are now making me think I need to try to add Poland to my list as an alternate. I read (and enjoyed Poland along w/ a few other Micheners). They are such a time investment that I usually only read one every few years or so. Good luck w/ Ploland Angie!

message 40: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Maybe I should try Hawaii again. I read Poland when I was living in Germany so I'm sure that added to my fascination. I'm also wanting to read The Covenant but I already chose Agaat as my South Africa book.

message 41: by Angie (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:08AM) (new)

Angie (angie54321) | 23 comments My future daughter in law is Polish, and my son lives there, so that makes me interested in the history, and I know a little of their recent history (WW1 and forwards)so it will be interesting to learn more.

There are many countries from where I have found several books I would like to read: Perhaps this will become an annual challenge!

Marieke wrote: "Maybe I should try Hawaii again. I read Poland when I was living in Germany so I'm sure that added to my fascination. I'm also wanting to read The Covenant but I already chose Agaat as..."

message 42: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie54321) | 23 comments Thanks Wendy - it should turn up midweek, so I will know then what a challenge it is going to be! Also on my mind is the fact that I am visiting Poland in February, and I know someone over there who would probably love to read the book, so if I make it one of my first books, I can pass it on.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Angie,
I have Poland by Michener at home. I can tell you how many pages it is. Are you ready? There are 616. But they are small pages and the print isn't too small.

message 44: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie54321) | 23 comments Thanks, Anne, I think that is similar page length to Hawaii. I'm going to have to start it as soon as it arrives I think!

message 45: by Sue (new)

Sue I've read several of Michener's books but not Poland. I think my favorite was The Source. I'm feeling the pull to return to reading him but too many other books are calling.

message 46: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 75 comments I also read The Source and think it is my favorite Michener (at least so far). Angie, if you want an easy read on Polish history, then Push Not the River might at least give you a bit of an overview. I must confess to really liking it, but I know some people did not think it was all that good, so maybe check out the reviews on goodreads and decide for yourself. I'd still keep Michener for your official 52 books read on Poland, but if you're up for an additional and lighter approach, then keep the other one in mind too :-) It's always good to have options, right?

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue Judy wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'll be reading Agaat along with many others and I also plan to read The Invisible Bridge. I may start the latter over the holidays. I've been wanting to r..."

Duh! Not really quickly!!!

I read this in the discussion email and saw your note went right over my head!!. Oh well. I read quickly but not timely. How about that?

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue Wendy wrote: "I also read The Source and think it is my favorite Michener (at least so far). Angie, if you want an easy read on Polish history, then Push Not the River might at least g..."

Push No the River looks very good Wendy. I think I've looked at it before but this time I fell over the edge and added it to my TBR.

message 49: by Angela (last edited Nov 20, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

Angela | 70 comments I just read The Bastard of Istanbul. I am changing my South African book to Agaat so that I can participate in the group read. I think I will also read Half Blood Blues.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Oooh I really want to read Half Blood Blues too. What country are you in? It is unavailable where I am until February....

« previous 1 3