The Sword and Laser discussion

A conversation between Neil Gaiman and Connie Willis at the 2011 World Fantasy Convention

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://youtu.be/bYHocfS17sI

Haven't watched it yet but I found it on a Google+ Spark.

Yes! I use Google+ sparks

message 2: by Nick (last edited Nov 18, 2011 11:14AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments After listening to this I realize I often find discussions had with authors more interesting than some of the books they write. So in this case I thought Connie Willis very entertaining and witty but I was so bored by the part of Blackout I read that I found myself wishing she could have transferred more of that wit to that novel. Maybe later in that novel she did put more wit in it but after nine-ish hours of listening to the book I didn't hear it. Kind of like N.K. Jemisin. I liked the interview S&L did with her so much I felt guilty I didn't enjoy the novel more than I did.

message 3: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments IMO Willis has written much better books and short stories. For something short, try The Last of the Winnebagos.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 112 comments My wife was tweeting from the banquet hall - Connie Willis was extremely entertaining.

message 5: by Tora (new)

Tora | 69 comments Nick wrote: "After listening to this I realize I often find discussions had with authors more interesting than some of the books they write. So in this case I thought Connie Willis very entertaining and witty ..."

I loved Blackout and All Clear, but they're definitely not her most humorous. If you're looking for witty, I'd recommend Bellwether or To Say Nothing of the Dog, or, if you like H. L. Mencken, there's Inside Job. It's probably good even if you're not familiar with Mencken, but much better if you are.

message 6: by Nick (last edited Nov 19, 2011 07:42AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Tora wrote: "Nick wrote: "After listening to this I realize I often find discussions had with authors more interesting than some of the books they write. So in this case I thought Connie Willis very entertaini..."

I was just a bit bored. I found the internal monologue of each character to be annoying. It was one long fret about reaching a drop point. I was listening to it on audible so it could have just been the narration too.