The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Least Favorite Books of the Fall 2011 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17591 comments Mod
What were your least favorite books of the Fall 2011 Challenge?

message 2: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Not my favorites from the Fall-

Why I Love Geeks (Why I Love... #1) by T.A. Chase , Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4) by Marie Sexton

message 3: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Least favorite 3 books...

2 stars- Labyrinth of Terror by Richard P. Wenzel

3 stars- The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer, #1) by Amanda Howells Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7586 comments I love this list and seeing what I loved that others disliked

message 5: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments LOL, you talking to me Dee?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7586 comments just in general ;) but I did like Strawberries for Dessert when I read it (although its been a while so it would be interesting to see if my opinion has changed ;) )

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I knew it! Most people loved it but I just couldn't stand Cole. I just didn't see the attraction or understand how they could be in love. I also don't like stories where the relationship is casual and they can sleep with other people when they are out of town- ugh!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15880 comments Mod
There were some NF books I read that I found disappointing because I didn't think they lived up to what they promised. Of the fiction books I read, I was particularly disappointed by The Buddha in the Attic. I enjoyed When the Emperor Was Divine, so was looking forward to it, but for me, it was too general. There was no focus on any character, just lots of general statements about the picture brides and their lives. I guess I need an individual or two to focus on - I kept comparing this to Honolulu, which was so much better.

I didn't much like Eat, Pray, Love, either, because she just annoyed me SO much!

message 9: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments 1 star:
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

I have never abandoned more books than during this challenge: Atlas Shrugged, Cleopatra, some others I don't even remember.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7586 comments Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence - the female mc is supposedly in her late 30's/early 40's and is a librarian and has no idea how to interact with kids - it was like omfg

message 11: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Nov 15, 2011 05:05PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Pride and prejudice
Persuasion
The Bookseller of Kabul
Never Let Me Go

message 12: by Amy J. (new)

message 13: by mstan (last edited Nov 16, 2011 03:27AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments No 1-star reads this time round, but I had a few blah ones, and coincidentally, all these are YA novels.

Stolen A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher Beauty Queens by Libba Bray The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell by Crickett Rumley The Red Umbrella by Christina Gonzalez Looking for Alaska by John Green

message 14: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Dee wrote: "Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence - the female mc is supposedly in her late 30's/early 40's and is a librarian and has no idea how to interact with kids - it was like omfg"

Dee, your comment made me *lol*!!

message 15: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments I know!! I'm afraid, I'll stop reading YA completely and then miss out on some good books.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I had a couple of serious bummers:

Iron House by John Hart was very disappointing as I've really enjoyed Hart's previous books. I just didn't buy the protagonist at all. He's supposed to be desperately in love with his pregnant fiancee and very concerned for her welfare as his violent life blows up around him, but it never seems to occur to him that she might be in danger when he can't reach her for most of the book's middle section. It just made no sense at all and I felt like shouting at the book, "Geez, have you never watched TV before?!?! Get a clue already!"

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick was another fail for me. The premise of a young woman marrying an older wealthy man with the intention of knocking him off had me hopeful for a Double-Indemnity style mystery, but Goolrick spends most of the book on the characters' histories of abuse and the warped sexual desires that result. After the tenth less-than-sexy scene I was begging for the book to just end already. Ugh.

message 17: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 890 comments My worst book of the season was Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell. This book was a big disappointment but she is well respected so I'll chalk this up to one bad book.

message 18: by Butterflycager (new)

Butterflycager | 326 comments These were my lowest-rated books from Fall 2011:

The Amber Room by Steve Berry
The Pack by Jason Starr
Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Body In The Bog: A Faith Fairchild Mystery by Katherine Hall Page
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
Harm None: A Rowan Gant Investigation by M.R. Sellars

message 19: by Chris (last edited Nov 21, 2011 03:42PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments My biggest stinkers were books I read for other groups and decided to at least get some extra credit for.
Years of Red Dust by Qiu Xiaolong The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

message 20: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments No 1 stars again, sooo...

2 Stars
The Peach Keeper: A Novel
Fallen
Dead as a Doornail

message 21: by Bea (last edited Nov 30, 2011 02:07PM) (new)

Bea | 3927 comments My only 1* was The Arrival, a graphic novel read for another group which everyone seemed to love and which I just did not get. Oh, well.

message 23: by Mabeelle (new)

message 25: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments I read all three books of His Dark Materials and really did not enjoy them. At least now I've gotten that out of the way though.

Other low rated books:
Stormy Weather
Requiem for a Gypsy: A Jana Matinova Investigation Set in Slovakia
The Good Daughters
Deep Dish