Start by marking “I'm Not Julia Roberts” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Julia Roberts

I'm Not Julia Roberts

2.64  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Does every second wife look like Julia Roberts? Lu Klein certainly doesn't, and her life is anything but glamorous. When she married a man with children, Lu had no idea that she was also marrying his shrewish ex-wife, Beatrix. And Beatrix had no idea that making a new home with her second husband would mean welcoming her wicked teenage stepdaughter, Liv. And Liv's mother R ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Julia Roberts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Julia Roberts

Jenna
This book had potential; it had a good start. But it failed in so many ways.

For one, it had too many characters. It was almost like the author was wanting the reader to connect with her characters, so she threw a load of them out there, like the adage, there's someone for everyone. I couldn't keep the players straight, and too many of them were entirely unnecessary.

I also found that there was too much negativity. As a mother who has dealt with a stepmother in my children's lives, and as a step
Cheryl
Dec 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Chick lit lovers
Shelves: reviewed
I picked this book up at a book exchange, and I admit that it was mostly due to the intriguing title. I will preface this review with the comment that I don't normally read 'chick lit', so this may color my opinion of this novel.

"I'm not Julia Roberts" was awash with too many points of view and too many characters. There were so many characters, in fact, that the author found it necessary to provide a 'Family Tree' and 'List of Characters' at the beginning of the novel and it was certainly neede
Kelly
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
I thought it was slightly amusing, but overall I didn't like it. The character development was terrible, making it too hard to keep all the characters straight (despite the "family tree" at the front). She should've just stuck to the main 3 women and developed their stories more deeply. As a step-mom, I could only relate to a few of the sentiments. Who really acts that like with their ex?? I could relate the most to Lu and some of her feelings towards her step-sons, but that was the extent of it ...more
Shinelle
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Somehow, despite the title, this book circumvented my expectations. It was odd--and interesting--to read a narrative in which there are no wicked stepmothers and the perceptibly wicked stepchildren are either tortured artists or struggling with OCD. The collection of stories almost feels like a novel, because of the tight, interweaving thread, but because they are short stories, there isn't room for a resolution of any of the conflict. That might well be the point, that there is no resolution, t ...more
Kristi
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love Laura Ruby and this is the first adult novel by her that I've read, and am so far enjoying it greatly. It's crafted to read like intertwined short stories but with the same cast of characters running through eachother's lives - all divorced and coping with blended families, exes, steps, challenging children. Funny and biting at the same time. The title of course is a play on the film Stepmom...
Jane
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Very funny... complicated relationships ...there's a "cast" list and a family/divorce tree to keep the characters straight. You don't need to...these linked stories stand on their own fallible feet, but knowing a character's previous story...her exes and presents...her kids, parents, siblings...made the book more enjoyable for me. Perfect vacation reading...funny and snide and generous at heart.
Doofenshmirtz
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I liked Laura Ruby's Lily Ghosts, which is a book for children, and Good Girls, which is for young adult. This book stars a middle-aged mother (or at least someone old enough to have school-aged children), and perhaps it's because I haven't been-there-done-that yet that I wasn't able to appreciate this novel. I'll definitely give it a try again in another ten years or so, though, only because Laura Ruby is one of the best fiction writers I've encountered.
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not sure
I'll probably donate it to the library.

Very convoluted connection of MANY characters, their exes, their new spouses and their kids and extended families. I like the humor, but it's mostly about divorce and reconstructed families, not necessarily applicable to my life or reflective of people I know. An easy read. Good if you are getting on an airplane, and don't have a great reading selection at your disposal.
Tammy
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a quick decent read. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. As the book went on, there were too many connections and it was a bit hard to keep the minor characters straight-on how they connected to the story. It could have been better executed, but I would read something else written by this author.
A.J.
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is like a photograph album: a series of views on a group of people who are connected (or disconnected) by marriage. It's a reflection on the role of parents and step-parents in blended families.

It's a subject I find fascinating and Laura Ruby's insights into the lives of her characters are deep and sympathetic. Her writing is engaging, humorous and intelligent. Enjoyed it.
Candice
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Im sorry, what was the point to the book? there are like 20 characters (that you have to flash to the front of the book and read the actual TREE to fig out who the hell is who and married to, and...) I loved Lu, her character was very likable and could have been a great book if it was more about her and that family.
Amy
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a funny book about stepmothers, divorce, and second marriages. While I did enjoy it, I thought it was a bit difficult to follow all of the characters and relationships and how they were all interconnected, not exactly a page-turner. I could not read it in one sitting. Having stated that, I did thoroughly enjoy Laura Ruby's cynical outtake on the movie Stepmom, so true!
Krystal
Jun 19, 2007 marked it as booksillprobablyneverfinish
Shelves: chicklit
I just cannot get into this book...and its not for lack of effort. I don't really know the why's of its lack of appeal. When I found it in the bookstore I thought it sounded like a great read, but it just hasn't lived up to the expectations for me. I may give it a try at a later date, who knows.
Amberly Crowford
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
It took me awhile to decide if I liked this book or not but I think I did. It made me realize I'm not the only one out there with a crazy family of step-something's and ex-something's, and that I'm not the only one who is not particularly fond of some of them.
Jean Marie
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
with all the ex husbands/wives and kids/stepkids to keep u with, i lost track and lost intrest in this book a little less than half way through. there were some funny moments, but not enough to make me want to finish this book. sorry!
fleegan
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
It's not bad, but there's too many characters.
Kristin
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Meh. Too many characters - I couldn't keep everyone straight. And the whole "Stepmom" thing was like, a page long. The book jacket is slightly misleading on that point.
Mary Lea
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book! An interesting look into mixed marriages and dealing with ex's and step children.
April
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I kept having to go back through previous chapters to see where these characters tied together. It was a confusing storyline.
Lori
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
somewhat funny, a bit confusing as to who's who. not my favorite book
Alissa
Nov 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008
This was humorous at times, but because the narratives shift in each chapter/short story, I was left feeling dissatisfied by the entire book, asking myself - what’s the point?
Christa Kelly
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I thought it sounded like a good book, but instead it was filled with arguments from divorced couples. I quit reading 1/2 way through because I couldn't take how depressing the story was.
Angie
Feb 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
It sounded good and there were a couple of comical scenes, but it just didn't deliver. Too many "ex's"!
Kaethe
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ruby is brilliant. I've loved her books for younger readers, as have the Offspring, but these stories are witty and cutting and close to the bone. If you haven't read her books yet, get started!
Jill
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it
This is story about dysfunctional stepfamilies and their relationships within their marriages, remarriages, children and stepchildren. It was a little tough to follow and not a happy book.
Cathy Davidson
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shifting POV and many characters made this a challenging read, but very much worth the effort.
PWRL
Jun 13, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Sandra Campeau
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Too any characters, not well developed. Glad when it ended
Tina
Jun 19, 2013
Susan
rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Miss New York Has Everything
  • You Are a Miserable Excuse for a Hero!: Book One in the Just Make a Choice! Series
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • A Much Married Man
  • Colors Insulting To Nature
  • Behind Bars: The Straight-Up Tales of a Big-City Bartender
  • Middletown, America: One Town's Passage from Trauma To Hope
Raised in the wilds of suburban New Jersey, Laura Ruby now lives in Chicago with her family. Her short fiction for adults has appeared in various literary magazines, including Other Voices, The Florida Review, Sycamore Review and Nimrod. A collection of these stories, I'M NOT JULIA ROBERTS, was published by Warner Books in January 2007. Called "hilarious and heart-wrenching" by People and "a knowi ...more