Authors Lounge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Lounge > Getting the word out

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Waterfall *Daughter of Northridge Earthquake* (falls) Add an apostrophe to Authors. That's been bugging me since I joined. Other than that, I adore the title.

Waterfall *Daughter of Northridge Earthquake* (falls) 's shows possession, dear. It's not the authors lounge. It's the Author's Lounge. Otherwise it'd just be the Author Lounge.

message 3: by Ward (new)

Ward (kd_pl) Authors' Lounge?

The plural possessive? But I am an engineer, so don't take my word for anything about grammar.

message 4: by C. (new)

C. Purtill Ditto what Ward said. Plural possessive is correct because this is a lounge for more than one author. I'm a grammar freak so I had to weigh in! :)

Waterfall *Daughter of Northridge Earthquake* (falls) Oh, right, because it's not your lounge, you're sharing it.

message 6: by Ward (new)

Ward (kd_pl) C. wrote: "Ditto what Ward said. Plural possessive is correct because this is a lounge for more than one author. I'm a grammar freak so I had to weigh in! :)"

I may have to may have to write this day down in my calendar. I am never right when it comes to grammar. Good thing a comma wasn't involved. . .

message 7: by C. (new)

C. Purtill I know it seems like a minor thing but if you're a writer (particularly if you self-pub) you need to care about the details. The readers will. When I read a book by an indie author and there are too many grammar mistakes that could have been easily corrected, I put the book down. I assume that a writer can't tell a story properly if he or she hasn't mastered the English language.

message 8: by Agent (new)

Agent S.D. | 151 comments Mod
Well, on this account, I only have 17 friends and 4 of them are already part of this group. But I'd be happy to help in any way I can. :)

message 9: by Guy (new)

Guy (Guy_Magar) | 2 comments As the newest member just invited by Carroll...gotta be the plural possessive...Authors' Lounge works for me.

message 10: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments Authors Lounge would be right if it was about authors lounging around, taking a break, not a possessive, but a plural authors with a verb, like ships sailing!

Planes fly. Rockets twirl. Rebels spout. Idiots glean.

No ' in sight there!

I would agree with the possessive if we get to own the place. What is possession anyway? Sorry, have to go, my nurse has arrived.

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee Robinson (reneerobinson) | 18 comments Carroll wrote: "I don't think an apostrophe is required. The apostrophe indicates a break in two words, for example: "Some author's trying to write his book." - Clearly, this would translate to, "Some author IS tr..."

I always reserve the right to be wrong. It is always the best policy unless, my wrong is right. In which case, I will take full credit for that well.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee Robinson (reneerobinson) | 18 comments Ward wrote: "C. wrote: "Ditto what Ward said. Plural possessive is correct because this is a lounge for more than one author. I'm a grammar freak so I had to weigh in! :)"

I may have to may have to write thi..."

I have issues with semi-colons. Nasty little buggers.

message 13: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 5 comments Of course Authors Lounge is not a place, its a description of a certain type of author. Its declarative too, and active. Perhaps it should be "The lounged author" to make it passive?

message 14: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Stephens (adrianstephens) | 5 comments I'll be another to weigh in on the apostrophe. Definitely should be Authors' Lounge if this is our lounge. Possession of more than one person or thing would require an apostrophe at the end. I'm particular about that as well, and so is my wife, who isn't an author but does teach 8th grade English.

As for semicolons, I hate them. Never should have been invented. They have only one good use. ;-)

message 15: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Jade (EMJadesRealm) | 1 comments Agreed.

message 16: by C. (new)

C. Purtill Adrian, I adore semi-colons. Now, ask me about ellipses...

message 17: by Agent (new)

Get a group of authors together and they're bound to start talking about grammar. ;)

I definitely think there should be an apostrophe in the title.

message 18: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Stephens (adrianstephens) | 5 comments C ~ What about ellipses? ;-)

message 19: by Agent (new)

Adrian wrote: "C ~ What about ellipses? ;-)"

Haha, intentional?

message 20: by M.C. (new)

M.C. Humphreys | 3 comments I think ellipses are most effective at the level of the whole book. That's kind of what being and Indie author is like.

message 21: by Brett (new)

Brett Talley | 5 comments No apostrophe needed in my view. So many grammar "rules" are more like suggestions. Teachers Lounge, Pirates Cove. When it is the name of the thing more than literally, the lounge of the authors, one need not be so pedantic. Here is the site for the California Writers Club, for instance. http://calwriters.org/ Another for the Horror Writers Association. http://www.horror.org/

message 22: by Randy (new)

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 97 comments I sort of like "Lounge Author" as in "Lounge Lizard" rather closer to what we do.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 48 comments Carroll wrote: "I don't think an apostrophe is required. The apostrophe indicates a break in two words, for example: "Some author's trying to write his book." - Clearly, this would translate to, "Some author IS tr..."

Authors' Lounge means a lounge for authors. The apostrophe goes at the end.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 48 comments Ward wrote: "Authors' Lounge?

The plural possessive? But I am an engineer, so don't take my word for anything about grammar."

Yes, Ward. You are correct.

message 25: by A.G. (new)

A.G. Claymore | 27 comments What if we say that it's a lounge full of Authors but they don't own it?
I'm also just an engineer, so I tend to look for the lazy answer...

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Harper (stephentharper) | 2 comments This is really funny to read from the top down. Like a Marx Brothers routine.

My 2 cents, if it's possessive it certainly has to be plural. So, Authors' Lounge.

But...

I agree with Brett and I think that Carroll's initial spelling is fine. It's Ladies Room. Not Ladies' Room (and certainly not Lady's Room). It's Mens Room.

Maybe that's just colloquial spelling, but it feels right.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 48 comments I think it's a little ironic. This is a "getting the word out" thread and how long have we gone on about the name of the group? Is this how it'll go for everything? Sigh. :-)

message 28: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Schultz | 15 comments One more vote for "Authors' Lounge."

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 48 comments Stop it, Harriet! :-) (Though I agree with you.)

message 30: by Agent (new)

(I agree too. ;) )

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 17 comments Waterfall *Daughter of Northridge Earthquake* wrote: "'s shows possession, dear. It's not the authors lounge. It's the Author's Lounge. Otherwise it'd just be the Author Lounge."

lol was just reading this stuff. I'm thinking it's meant to be like many Authors therefore it would be Authors lounge. Many Authors in the lounge. lol I'm going to go have a drink.

message 32: by Randy (new)

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 97 comments Still think my solution is the best "Lounge Author," as in "Lounge Lizard."

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.