Queens Library discussion

Queens Library Customers' Favorite Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Suri (new)

Suri | 1 comments I was on a bit of a non-fiction, self-help kick in 2011. I really enjoyed The Secret and The Power by Rhonda Brynes, The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, Every Day a Friday by Joel Osteen and Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace series.

message 3: by Debbi (new)

Debbi | 15 comments Mod
I'm slogging through Jonathan Lethem's "Chronic City" and am realizing that authors named Jonathan who live in Brooklyn are truly not my cup of tea. I should have learned this from trying to read Jonathan Safran Foer! Oh well. Need to wrap it up and then move on to something a lot better (I hope!).

message 4: by Gennady (new)

Gennady | 5 comments Debbi,
You are not alone. I was actually considering Chronic City for our book club dedicated to fiction set in NYC but one of our members gave me a look that make me reconsider. I'd like to check it out anyway though, at least to see what turns people off.
Debbi wrote: "I'm slogging through Jonathan Lethem's "Chronic City" and am realizing that authors named Jonathan who live in Brooklyn are truly not my cup of tea. I should have learned this from trying to read J..."

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Estepp (quietjenn) In defense of the Jonathans ... actually, I can't defend all of them/all their books - and I've never even gotten around to trying "Chronic City."

BUT! "Motherless Brooklyn" is pretty brilliant. (And, I personally liked "Fortress of Solitude," although I've friends who hated it.)

Someone else will have to defend Foer, though. He kind of makes me crazy.

message 6: by Debbi (new)

Debbi | 15 comments Mod
Hey Jenn. Yes, in fairness, I should probably give "Motherless Brooklyn" a shot. While I thought "Fortress of Solitude" was another huge disappointment, I had read it based on the short story version of it I read in a magazine. So I know he's got talent. Also, I'm not sure if Franzen lives in Brooklyn, but I did like "The Corrections" quite a bit and "Freedom" wasn't bad, either. Just finished "Tragedy of Arthur" (not a Jonathan) and loved it!

message 7: by Debbi (new)

Debbi | 15 comments Mod
Hi Gennady! Oops, I just saw your comment. When do you have your book discussion in LIC? Maybe I could get there for at least one. Hope all is well!

message 8: by Gennady (new)

Gennady | 5 comments Hi Debbi! We actually decided against choosing Chronic City for the book club. You are welcome to come to the club, however, if you wish and can squeeze it in you schedule(you probably have a pretty busy one now!). We've read fiction set in NYC and next time it is Saul Bellow's Seize the Day. This Monday (3/26) they'll watch the film with Robin Williams and the following week(4/2) we'll talk about the book and the movie.Mondays, 11:30 a.m.Queensview Community, Room 7, 21-50 33 Rd.

message 9: by Gennady (new)

Gennady | 5 comments Motherless Brooklyn sounds like a good idea for my book club on fiction set in NYC if only I can get them consider another Lethem book. Thanks for the idea!
Jenn wrote: "In defense of the Jonathans ... actually, I can't defend all of them/all their books - and I've never even gotten around to trying "Chronic City."

BUT! "Motherless Brooklyn" is pretty brilliant...."