Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading November 14?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm on deadline and won't be reading a lot this week, but I do hope to finish The Next Always by Nora Roberts and Any Given Christmas, Candis Terry's second Sugar Shack novel. I really liked the first one, and this one has a football player as a hero.

message 2: by Nana (new)

Nana (marsh113) | 2 comments I'm now reading Yang Terjadi di London by Julia Quinn Indonesian version of What Happens in London (Bevelstoke #2) by Julia Quinn . still on Chapter 1.

message 3: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I am jumping the gun a bit and reading our December book club read, Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt. I read the previous two books last week, and decided to continue with the series and read the third book this week.

message 4: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2038 comments Mod
I'm starting on a YA by Mike Mullin- ASHFALL.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1882 comments Mod
Welcome, Marsh! I'm reading Baby It's Cold Outside by Addison Fox. Only about a third of the way it, but I'm enjoying it. She's got about four couples interwoven through the story. Though there's one primary couple who leads the pack.

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I second Manda's Welcome, Marsh!!!

I'm reading Edge of Sight, by Roxanne St. Claire! I just love her! Lol!

message 7: by Manda (new)

Dang, Monica, you've been flying through those Roxanne St. Claire books!

message 8: by Janga (new)

I'm sad that she's not going to be writing more RS anytime soon. I read so few RS authors. But I admit her YA book sounds great.

message 9: by Manda (new)

I know, Janga. Still makes me crazy that she's going to be doing small town romance. Not that I don't like small town, but it's like coals to Newcastle.

message 10: by Janga (new)

Even I, a lover of small town romances,am beginning to long for big city settings. I keep thinking they will peak, but I've about decided they, like vampires, are here forever.

message 11: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2038 comments Mod
I started it last night, Elyssa. I read the first 5 chapters and I'm on the fence. Everyone raved about it and I think that sent my expectations soaring O.o I'll let you know what I think when I'm done with it.

message 12: by Irisheyes (last edited Nov 15, 2011 01:25PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments The Bride Fair by Cheryl Reavis. It is a story set in the reconstruction after the Civil War time frame. I like American Historicals and good ones are hard to find - kind of like Westerns. I'm several chapters in and this is definitely a good one.

The title makes it appear silly or frivolous but it's turning out to be a very character driven, hard look at two opposites trying to get along after the war. The hero is a Yankee Colonel and the heroine is a southern daughter left literally alone (her father is alive but sick) to pick up the pieces. He is sent back to the town where he was held prisoner during the war to bring about order and is billeted in the heroine's home. Neither are too happy about the arrangement.

message 13: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Finished Scandalous Desires today. I think it is my favorite in the Maiden Lane series. Looking forward to Winter's story, but too bad it won't be out until next summer!

Next, I am going to read Princess of the Midnight Ball and Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George. They are YA books based on the fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Manda wrote: "Dang, Monica, you've been flying through those Roxanne St. Claire books!"

Manda, Lol! I seriously love her books!! I think she's writing them just for me!!! LOL!!!

Aly is so frigging bored | 848 comments Mod
I am re-reading LOTU, the 3rd book "The Darkest Pleasure"(by Gena Showalter) and also reading "The Perils of Pleasure" by Julie Anne Long, have any of you read it? I can't seem to get sucked in it :-<

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Aly ~Thanatos~ wrote: "...also reading "The Perils of Pleasure" by Julie Anne Long, have any of you read it? I can't seem to get sucked in it"

Aly, I've read it, and I wound up liking it a lot. It's the first of JAL's Pennyroyal Green series, so there is a lot of orientation to the world, and that makes it dense sometimes. But Colin's more than he seems at first, and Madeleine is a great heroine, smart and self-reliant. I think JAL always tells a story beautifully.

message 17: by Manda (new)

Sorry you're not connecting with The Perils of Pleasure, Aly. I have to admit that it's still my favorite of the Pennyroyal Green books. But then, I'm totally a romantic suspense buff so I appreciated the mystery angle on that one.

message 18: by Janga (new)

I'm sorry too, Aly. JAL is a never-fail author for me. I started reading her with The Runaway Duke, loved it, and have loved evey one since. What I Did for a Duke is my favorite with How the Marquess Was Won a close second, but I knew when I read The Perils of Pleasure that the series would be a success. I think it's worth a reader's persistence, and, as Theresa said, Colin and Madeleine prove engaging characters. Madeleine particularly is extraordinary.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments Irisheyes wrote: "The Bride Fair by Cheryl Reavis. It is a story set in the reconstruction after the Civil War time frame. I like American Historicals and good ones are hard to find - kind of like Westerns."

Irisheyes, this sounds like a really good story. I'll have to see if I can track it down at the library.

I'm reading Pack Challenge by Shelly Laurenston. It's pretty good so far.

Aly is so frigging bored | 848 comments Mod
I am starting to like it :D I have to read more and then I'll see if I'll read the others too

message 21: by Irisheyes (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:49AM) (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Cindy wrote: "Irisheyes wrote: "The Bride Fair by Cheryl Reavis. It is a story set in the reconstruction after the Civil War time frame. I like American Historicals and good ones are hard to find - kind of lik..."

I really liked it, Cindy. It gave a real feel for the time and the emotions surrounding the characters without getting too immersed in the politics and sticking to the relationship between the two.

message 22: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
I just read the bakery sisters trilogy by Susan Mallery. I liked Nicoles story best. Loved how the high school sportskids come over to her house to protect her. Also love that he stages the big public proposal at football game after being a jerk and she walks away and her sister says it's not romantic . I am so sick of public proposals making a jerk ok