Start by marking “Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)

Princess of Glass

(The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  21,143 ratings  ·  1,810 reviews
Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other's countries in the name of better political alliances--and potential marriages. It's got the makings of a fairy tale--until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmothe
Published May 25th 2010 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Princess of Glass, please sign up.
Katie Having read the first one and just started this one I would say that you should read them in order. The first books events are referred to quite a lot…moreHaving read the first one and just started this one I would say that you should read them in order. The first books events are referred to quite a lot and reading this book before Princess of the Midnight Ball will ruin Princess of the Ball if you ever go back and read it.(less)
Pen&Quill Read I know what you mean. I'm still lost on to who was killed at the end of book one and who became the latest king understone
<spoiler> though in book 3 P…more
<spoiler> though in book 3 Princess of the Silver Woods the girls are also confused on this subject so who know? </spoiler>
Maybe try asking the author? You can do that by going to the authors profile page, make sure you request desk top site, and there should be a bar on the right of the screen where you can post questions to that author!:-) (less)

·  21,143 ratings  ·  1,810 reviews

Start your review of Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
Jessica
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Brilliant!

Basically I wanted to explore what would happen to one of the Twelve Dancing Princesses after their curse had ended. In the original story it says, And they lived happily ever after, and they never danced again. So I decided to stick one of the girls into a new fairy tale, one where she had to dance, and see what she would do. Also, I love writing Poppy's snappy dialogue and rather sarcastic outlook, so I decided to give her her own book!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Three years after they have solved the problem of the evil underground King of Stone and his twelve sons in Princess of the Midnight Ball (or have they?), the king of Westfalin and his twelve daughters are still dealing with the aftermath. Some of the girls are suffering from PTSD, and the rulers of neighboring kingdoms are still bitter about the loss of their princes and other young men who died while trying to figure out the mystery of the danc
Having had a few years to recover from the Westfalin-Analousian War, the kings and queens of the Ionian continent have devised a novel peacekeeping plan: they’ll all exchange children for several months to a year, hopefully securing many marriage alliances and lifelong goodwill.

Most young Ionian royals find this plan annoying, but it’s actually painful for Poppy and Daisy, twin princesses of Westfalin. Not too long ago, they and their ten sisters were under a curse that left several Ionian princ
Scribbler King
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read the prequel, PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL about two years ago and loved it. When I saw that PRINCESS OF GLASS was coming out soon, I was very excited. Then, only a few months later, I found it on the shelves of the library. It took me exactly how long it took to get back to the car to start reading.

It didn't disappoint. I was excited to read more about Poppy and loved the twists and turns that the plot took on CINDERELLA.

For those of you who read my review of PRINCESS OF GLASS before,
Julia W
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was dissappointed by the first book - Princess of the Midnight Ball - and really hope this one would be better. The thing I have noticed so far with the author is that her books are wonderfully written and engaging up until the ending. About 50 pages - give or take - before the end I feel like the author is anxious to be done and rushes through what should be the most amazing, wonderful, and exciting part of the book. The climax comes too quickly and leaves the reader totally unsatisfied. As a ...more
m a r y l i z
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
From my experience, Jessica Day George's books have proved to be light, fun, and inventive reads. Well, Princess of Glass definitely fit in that description.

I loved the unique way that she retold the Cinderella story. It was so much different than any other Cinderella story I've read/seen, and I loved that. Creativity = very epic. (Do not doubt the mathematical accuracy of this formula. XD)

The characters were loads of fun, though I have to admit, some of them acted rather ridiculous most of the
Jennis Andelin
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one quite as much as the first one. I loved Poppy, and I like the whole Cinderella twist. Christian was okay, but he seemed a little stupid to me the whole time. (I know, I know, he was bewitched and under a love spell like HALF THE BOOK, but still.)

The end was SUPER confusing. Like, I had no idea what even happened. One second everyone is doomed, then next Rose and Galen show up and TADA all is well. Whaaaaaat.

I'm not exactly sure why I didn't like this book. It just didn'
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
I read this book for the BookTubeAThon 2017 (Challenge #3: Finish a book in one day)

“Dancing? You, Poppy? I never thought..."

I adore this series. It's one of the sweeter retellings I've found so far - much more adapted to younger readers, but still enjoyable for those of us (like myself) who's older. And I like how the author interpreted the end of the original story of the 12 Dancing Princesses - "They lived happily ever after and they never danced again." - in order to explore what hap
Cara
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Shelves: 2010, fantasy, fairy-tales
When I first heard there was going to be a companion novel to Princess of the Midnight Ball I got so excited I didn't even bother to find out what the next book was going to be about. I'm glad I didn't because I might have been turned off that it's a retelling of the Cinderella story. It's hard to make this original, but the author did a good job of making sure the story stayed fresh and yet keep true to the heart of the retelling.

This time around Poppy (one of the twins from the previous novel)
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one, more so than Midnight Ball. I so enjoyed getting to know Princess Poppy. She is just so spunky and not your normal princess. I loved her.

I loved all of the characters really, they were fun to read and when it came to Prince Christian, his obliviousness towards his own appeal was quite enduring and It made me more attracted him.

The story is interesting and fun, the writing so fluid I was able to fly through each chapter (when I actually sat down to read). Highly recommended.
Kathy
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
January 2013: I enjoyed this just as much the second time around. I loved that even though Christian was under a spell he still thought of Poppy. Cute couple. A fun read.

July 2010: Loved it! This was an interesting take on the Cinderella story, told from the perspective of Poppy, Christian and Eleanora. I’m thinking Eleanora is supposed to be the “Cinderella” character, but the main characters are really Poppy and Christian. I loved both, they were fun to read and I enjoyed their relationship. P
Colleen Houck
I loved this retelling of the Cinderella story. The melted glass slippers were so cool as was the glass bubble world the godmother lived in. Prince Charming was definitely charming and princess Poppy was a fun heroine. Loved the clothes and the balls and the cinders and ash and the disappearing carriages.
Brittany Fichter
I'll admit that I was skeptical about this book when I began reading it. I'm a HUGE fan of George's original "Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess, #1), and I wasn't sure I really wanted to read about the ongoing tales of the younger sisters. But oh my goodness, I'm so glad I didn't listen to myself!

This retelling of Cinderella was surprisingly delightful, particularly considering the main character is Poppy, one of the younger sisters I didn't like much from the first book. George developed
MOVED - CHECK BIO
Princesses rock. And not because they have cute dresses ;)

Princess Poppy is what I call force into a program where royals go to different countries in hope of marriage. I call it, 'Go there, get married, and give us your money.' Wait no, that sounds more like a commercial, except without the married part.

Eleanor is a new servant who gets into trouble often(No! She is NOT like me). She works in what I call a castle.

Princess Poppy is one of the twelve princesses who used to be cursed until her sis
Dawn
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-books, fantasy, ya
Okay, I've given Ms. George's books glowing reviews before, but this one didn't really hit the spot for me. It was again inventive and exciting, but the ending was a little too clean cut for me. I'm not sure what happened to the villain in the end that somehow made her quit her quest and even her motives for chasing the characters was a little unclear. I liked the spin on the Cinderella story and enjoyed the characters and how they related to each other, but the ending left me feeling unsatisfie ...more
æra
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rtc
This was my favorite book in third grade and it's still up there on the podium now. ...more
Abby
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Was this perfect? No. But good grief, it's so fun. The way it retells Cinderella is so masterful, and GAH I just love Jessica's books a lot.

Poppy is a fantastic heroine. She's sassy, she's confident, she knits and dances and gambles and swears like a sailor and is still allowed to cry. And it's perfection. She's so iconic.

My one complaint in this book is that we don't get enough of Christian. I mean, this kid could have gone so far. He hears someone in trouble and just... yeets himself out the w
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Poppy from PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL returns and, along with her unmarried sisters, is currently helping her father regain political alliances by participating in a royal exchange. Now she's living with her cousins, Lord and Lady Seadown, and their daughter, Marianne.

She turns down invitations to balls because she refuses to dance after surviving the curse from her mother. Society soon frowns upon her absence, thus forcing Poppy to attend the b
Ginny
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so like Valerie, I wasn't expecting too much greatness from this book pretty much for the same reason that the story of Cinderella has been done multiple times and there doesn't seem to be much more room for anything new; and because well, Princess of the Midnight Ball was amazing and how much creativity can you have left after something so great? (This sounds pretty lame written, but it made sense in my head.) But, I was delighted to find that Jessica Day George still has lots of creative j ...more
Kayla
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was good, I did like this book slightly better than the first book.
Celia Buell
Review 2/11/21
I enjoyed this the second time around, but admittedly, when reading them so close to one another, there are enough similarities that I am glad Jessica Day George did not attempt to write 12 of them.

This was the first Cinderella retelling I ever read (not counting Ella Enchanted in elementary school), and since then I've gone through Geekerella, Princess of Midnight, and Cinderella Is Dead, as well as maybe a few others I'm not remembering right now. I find it interesting how much o
Valerie
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
I was excited to read another book from George but I was bracing myself for a little disappointment because it was a retelling of the Cinderella story and there are so many that I wondered how many takes can one fairy-tale have? But I could take pleasure in it anyways and the main character is not the 'Cinderella' it's Poppy, one of the twelve dancing princess from Princess of the Midnight Ball. Seeing the Cinderella story unfold by an outsider’s eyes was nice.

Poppy is a twin somewhere in the mi
Amy
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: former-favorites
This sequel/companion book to Princess of the Midnight Ball was very good!! Princess Poppy, the fifth oldest of the twelve dancing princesses, has reluctantly agreed to take part in a royal exchange program, princes and princesess from all kindgoms travel to other kingdoms in hopes of political alliances, and possible marriages.
Poppy goes to live with her mother's cousin in Breton. The "mysterioius, exotic princess" is a puzzle to the court, she refuses to dance. She would have also refused eve
Dorian
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-ebooks
Overall, I liked this better than the first book in the series. There was something just slightly flat about "Princess of the Midnight Ball", but this one was livelier.

This time the base fairy tale is "Cinderella", but the author has put a rather dark twist on it, which I liked, because I've never liked the original tale; Cinders is so very wet. The Cinders character in this isn't very bright, but she isn't wet, at least. She also isn't the heroine; Poppy, one of the twelve dancing princesses fr
Olga Godim
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This novel continues the tale of the 12 dancing princesses that started in Princess of the Midnight Ball. Here the protagonist is one of the younger princesses, Poppy. A few years have passed since the first novel. Poppy is sixteen and visiting her mother’s cousins in the neighboring kingdom of Breton. There is also a young Prince Christian, on a princely visit to Breton. They meet… you know that story.
There is also a maid Ella and lots of soot and cinder involved, glass slippers and an evil so
Faith M:)
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars from me. Any fairytale retelling catches me eye immediately and this was no exception. This book was very well written, and the storyline was great! I loved that it was a retelling of Cinderella, but told in a completely new way! Poppy is hilarious, strong, and loving. I really enjoyed her character:)

I give it 4 stars because of a few inappropriate comments. Nothing terrible, but they didn’t have to be added. (Ex. Marianne is dressed skimpily at a ball; couples wanting to run off with o
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Zzzzz. Mmmm. Wha? Sorry? Oh right, I was reading, not sleeping. It's just that this book? Bored me to death. Too simple, too easy, too predictable, too vague for any real tension, nor for any real sense of character to develop for the entire cast. An interesting idea - what happened to the Twelve Dancing Princesses after their curse is ended - but turned out to be a rather blah, and uniformly boring read. ...more
RubyRidingHood
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA fairy tale lovers
Shelves: favorite-ya
My absolute favorite. I thought I had written a review already? I used to try to read this book every year on over three days for my birthday. Poppy is just so awesome, and I was Enchanted by this story!!!! I should reread it. It’s just so good. I can’t say anything eloquent right now haha but I promise it’s a great book and beloved to me. <3
Jenni Sauer
This book didn't click for me as much as I hoped and I had some issues with the execution... But Jessica Day George is a master of character and prose and even as I was feeling meh about it I couldn't stop reading.

And Poppy is amazing and I love her with every fiber of my being ❤️❤️❤️
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

The twelve princesses of Westfalin have finally been freed of the curse that caused them to dance every night in the realm of the King-Under-Stone, but tensions in the neighboring kingdoms run high. Many eligible young princes fell prey trying to break the curse on the young princesses, and in order to make amends, the King sends his unmarried daughters accross the continent in a show of good will. Princess Poppy - impetuous, beautiful, and outspoken - dr
Characters 14 47 Jul 08, 2016 02:12PM
Please help! Does it ruin the first? 5 63 Mar 29, 2015 10:56AM
Fairy Tales Eclectic: Princess of Glass 8 17 Mar 16, 2015 11:54AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 5 Feb 13, 2015 08:48AM

• Fairest
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • Princess Ben
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Before Midnight - A Retelling of Cinderella
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • The Princess Curse
  • A Daring Sacrifice (An Uncertain Choice, #2)
  • The Forgotten Sisters (Princess Academy, #3)
  • Book of a Thousand Days
  • An Uncertain Choice (An Uncertain Choice, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Castles (A Tale of Two Castles, #1)
See top shelves…
Jessica Day George likes chocolate, knitting, books, travel, movies, dragons, horses, dogs, and her family. These are all things to keep in mind if you ever meet her. For instance, you could bring her chocolate to make the meeting go more smoothly. You could also talk about how adorable her children are, even if you have never seen them. You could discuss dog breeds (she had a Maltese named Pippin ...more

The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)

News & Interviews

“Took you long enough!,' she said, and planted a kiss on his lips.” 57 likes
“Dancing? You, Poppy?" Marianne shook her head slowly. I never thought..."
Rose looked concerned. She even felt Poppy's head for fever, but Poppy shook her off.
"I don't know about you, Rose, but I'm done letting creatures like Under Stone and the Corley dictate my life. I enjoy dancing, and I will blasted well dance at my wedding!"
"Poppy! Language!"
Poppy didn't answer; she just threw her arms around Christian and kissed him soundly.”
51 likes