Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > WI 11-12 General Questions & Answers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Post your general questions about the Reading w/Style challenge, Style point rules, or the Winter 2011/12 Challenge here.

message 2: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Ooh, love the theme!

message 3: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments I love the Winter Challenge already!

message 4: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments Concerning the poll. Home for the holidays. If you have lived in more than one place, can you repeat the task using a different location?

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon In task 20.5 the link to "this list" appears to be broken?

message 6: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Shannon wrote: "In task 20.5 the link to "this list" appears to be broken?"

Thanks for letting me know! It should be fixed.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon It is! Thank you, Liz.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments I had a problem with that link too.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Sorry, folks. I was supposted to test that.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula | 163 comments I'm so excited about the winter challenge! Looks like great stuff already - I L-O-V-E Dickens so the 20 point challenges look super fun! What great motivation to finish up the fall challenge tasks (for me at least!). I have 4 more books to go, and I WILL finish them (I'm looking at you, Moby Dick).

Quick question - can we use books that we've already started, for the challenge? I'm looking at The Portrait of a Lady for one of the tasks. The book is about 650 pages - I got to about page 100 or so then set it down for the fall challenge. Can I use it for one of these tasks if I pick it up again in December? Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments You can use the book if you have less than half the book read before you start the winter challenge. I believe that is how the rule goes but you have to double check with Becky.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Yes, we have always had the half-way rule, so if you don't get too excited about Henry James between now and the end of the month, you will be able to use it.

message 13: by Liz M (last edited Nov 14, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Liz M Paula wrote: "Quick question - can we use books that we've already started, for the challenge? I'm looking at The Portrait of a Lady for one of the tasks. The book is about 650 pages - I got to about page 100 or so then set it down for the fall challenge. Can I use it for one of these tasks if I pick it up again in December? Thanks!..."

Jayme & Elizabeth are correct, but just to be clear, this rule only applies for ONE book.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments Where is the CiV sub challenge information? Has it been posted yet?

message 15: by Liz M (last edited Nov 14, 2011 01:47PM) (new)

Liz M Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Where is the CiV sub challenge information? Has it been posted yet?"

It has not been posted yet. We need to finalize the scoring system and clarify a couple of other points first. It should be ready by this weekend?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments okay, I was just curious. :)

message 17: by Liz M (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

Liz M Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, I was just curious. :)"

I would be too, if I didn't already know what it is :D.

And, um, if you're the type of person that has to have all the challenge reading planned before it starts, make sure you have some free time before looking at the sub-challenge. I think I spent , um, 15 hours(?) plotting my books (Mind you, I like options and now have enough options to complete the darned thing three times).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments I think I spent about 4 hours before scrapping my plan and starting over and then another 3 hours trying to make 10 books work. But the first 4 hours weren't wasted because I learned where my biggest problem was. ;-)

message 19: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "Concerning the poll. Home for the holidays. If you have lived in more than one place, can you repeat the task using a different location?"

I think I am going to ask y'all to pick one location, out of consideration for those of us that haven't lived in a dozen different states/cities.

message 20: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments Ok, now I am really curious and I'm going to plan on some time this weekend to go through it!

message 21: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4424 comments Liz M wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Concerning the poll. Home for the holidays. If you have lived in more than one place, can you repeat the task using a different location?"

I think I am going to ask y'all to pick o..."

So we could repeat the task as long as we stick to the same location?

message 22: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Karen GHHS wrote: "So we could repeat the task as long as we stick to the same location? ..."

Yes. Because sooner or later, I need (ok, I want) to read a dozen New York City books :D

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments Liz M wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, I was just curious. :)"

And, um, if you're the type of person that has to have all the challenge re..."

I do like to plan my books out ahead of time because I am in three reading challenges: this one, Seasonal Reading Challenge and the Historical Fictionistas challenge and any book I can use for all three is good.

message 24: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Liz M wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, I was just curious. :)"

And, um, if you're the type of person that has to have all the challenge re..."

now I'm scared

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments I only finished one of these reading challenges since I been on this site since 2009.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Jayme, I've never finished one. Doesn't keep me from ploughing forward, though.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments me neither. I am getting books crossed off my list though.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula | 163 comments I haven't done it yet, but am on a serious mission, for some unknown reason. I'd like to tackle some bigger books during the next challenge season, though. I had a few books that just barely met the page minimum.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments I hate when that happens, when a book is like 5 or less pages shy of meeting the requirements.

message 30: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments Liz M wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Concerning the poll. Home for the holidays. If you have lived in more than one place, can you repeat the task using a different location?"

I think I am going to ask y'all to pick o..."

fair enough

message 31: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments I really like the theme being based on an author and his books. Hopefully we can do it again in another challenge. i'm thinking Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling, Leo Tolstoy, Edith Wharton, Jane Austen, Willia Cather etc, etc, etc....(smile) i thought i'd better stop. there are too many great authors!

message 32: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments Can we get extra points for actually reading a book by Charles Dickens? Maybe Style points for just this one challenge?

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Jane Austen would be a great idea...six novels, six tasks.

message 34: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2389 comments Love love love the Winter Theme!!

Can't wait for 1 Dec ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments Rebekah wrote: "Can we get extra points for actually reading a book by Charles Dickens? Maybe Style points for just this one challenge?"

All Dickens novels get a combo with 20.1. ;-)

message 36: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Can we get extra points for actually reading a book by Charles Dickens? Maybe Style points for just this one challenge?"

All Dickens novels get a combo with 20.1. ;-)"

And 10-15 oldies points and most also get jumbo points.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2258 comments I haven't seen a thread for 20.9 task yet so I will ask it here. Are series titles included as part of the book title like if I want to read a book from the Night Angel trilogy, would that count?

message 38: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I'm 51% of the way through East of Eden...if only I'd slacked off just that little bit more! ;)

message 39: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I haven't seen a thread for 20.9 task yet so I will ask it here. Are series titles included as part of the book title like if I want to read a book from the Night Angel trilogy, would that count?"

No, series titles do not count for this task.

message 40: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Liz M wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I haven't seen a thread for 20.9 task yet so I will ask it here. Are series titles included as part of the book title like if I want to read a book from the Night An..."

I would not have called it, but this looks like it's gonna be one of my harder slots to fill from the main challenge.

message 41: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Denae wrote: "I'm 51% of the way through East of Eden...if only I'd slacked off just that little bit more! ;)"

Oops! I lied! I picked it back up since it seemed like it wouldn't matter and turns out my boyfriend had put the bookmark back in randomly after the cat knocked it off, so I'm not that far after all. Still close, only about 20 pages different...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments As to 20.9, I have but two ideas:

Saint Maybe
The Angel's Game

message 43: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "As to 20.9, I have but two ideas:

Saint Maybe
The Angel's Game"

A friend recommended The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, so I penciled that in.

message 45: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 19, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11730 comments I love the time thinking about a new challenge. I go through my shelves, including my wish list, and am reminded of all the wonderful books the GR community has brought to my attention.

The Angel on the Roof
Angels and Insects
Pigs in Heaven
The Killer Angels

message 48: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) Before I forget - great job on the Group Reads! I want to read every single one of them!

message 49: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4194 comments The Augusta Goodnight series by Mignon Ballard. Augusta is a guardian angel that helps solve mysteries.

So would Santa count as in Santa Claus?

message 50: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "The Augusta Goodnight series by Mignon Ballard. Augusta is a guardian angel that helps solve mysteries.

So would Santa count as in Santa Claus?"

The santa in Santa Evita is Spanish for Saint. So, I am inclined to say that Santa, as in a variation on Saint Nick, is acceptable, but I'd like Krista to confirm.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.