Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2011 > Our Mutual Friend Chapters 11~13 Podsnappery ~ Tracking the Bird of Prey

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Published in August 1864
For discussion of these chapters

message 2: by Bea (last edited Nov 16, 2011 10:18AM) (new)

Bea | 233 comments If more than one chapter from the same book qualifies as among the greatest Dickens Chapters, I nominate Chapter 11, Podsnappery. I see so many practioners of that illustrious art on TV every day. All I have to do is substitute America for England when I read his philosophy and his ilk is all around me.

I love this quote:

As a so eminently respectable man, Mr Podsnap was sensible of its being required of him to take Providence under his protection. Consequently he always knew exactly what Providence meant. Inferior and less respectable men might fall short of that mark, but Mr Podsnap was always up to it. And it was very remarkable (and must have been very comfortable) that what Providence meant was inevitably what Mr Podsnap meant.

Poor Georgiana! What is in store for her?

message 3: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Nov 19, 2011 04:18PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I know, Bea. The Lammale's have her in their sights and are ready To pounce.
All I can say is that I am glad I was not a guest at that party!

The Podsnaps....I can't tell who is worse, the Mr or the Mrs. He is so full of himself and his opinions, and his way of life it makes one shudder. She seems intent on making her daughter feel more and more inferior. Quite the duo these two are!

This chapter took a big huge swipe at a social class that placed themselves above the ills of the world. I wonder that in certain circles this chapter might have gone over like a lead balloon. But then again, those that needed to see themselves as the Podsnaps probably didn't.

message 4: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments I had written down exactly the same comment Bea: poor Georgiana!!!!

message 5: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments LauraT wrote: "I had written down exactly the same comment Bea: poor Georgiana!!!!"

We can only hope that Dickens winds up being kind to her and getting her out of the clutches of those two.

message 6: by Christyb (new)

Christyb | 44 comments I love how Dickens leaves us with cliffhangers at the end if each installment. I can picture myself anxiously awaiting the next monthly installment. Why did the Lamells want to get close to Georgiana and bring her down? What happened to Hexam? I know the answers will be found as we read further, but I love how Dickens leaves us hanging. Does anybody know if he wrote the sections monthly, or did he write the entire book, and then submit it for publication?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments I believe he often wrote novels while they were being published serially.

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 233 comments I've read the same thing.

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim (tjb654) | 45 comments According to David Perdue's "Charles Dickens Page," OMF was "published in monthly parts, May 1864 - November 1865." The Perdue website is a nice resource, but be warned: the OMF page does contain spoilers. Here is a link for the website.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) It is a great resource, Tim, but there are many spoilers.

message 11: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 497 comments Everyman wrote: We can only hope that Dickens winds up being kind to her and getting her out of the clutches of those two.

I think something will come out on that side!!!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Just finished chapter 12 this morning. What is Roger Riderhood doing? Ooh, sneaky. Just love all the descriptions, of him rubbing his cap over his head and face, and "chewing" the extra wine he helped himself to.

message 13: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2531 comments Susanna wrote: "I believe he often wrote novels while they were being published serially."

That's my understanding, too. Sometimes he apparently was really under the gun getting an installment written.

I also believe that he didn't have his novels fully planned or plotted out in advance, but had a general idea where he wanted to go but let the way it happened develop as the novel developed. He would, I have read, decide to emphasize or de-emphasize certain characters or plot lines as the public was reading and responding to the novel.

message 14: by Sera (new)

Sera Kelly wrote: "Just finished chapter 12 this morning. What is Roger Riderhood doing? Ooh, sneaky. Just love all the descriptions, of him rubbing his cap over his head and face, and "chewing" the extra wine he ..."

I loved it when he said that people called him "Rogue" Riderhood, but only because "Rogue" is so close to "Roger" - ha ha ha.

message 15: by Sera (new)

Sera The Lammells do make great villians - how fun that they turn their hate against each other against those around them. I thought it was funny, too, how lovely dovey they are in public and then turn against each other again in private. Dickens is great.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim (tjb654) | 45 comments As Bea says above, chapter 11 is brilliant. The Lammles are indeed quite a pair. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the night and the weather in the next three chapters, as well as Eugene's part in the dialogue.