Shut Up & Read discussion

SU&R Group Talk > Comments & Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tanecia (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3781 comments Mod
If you have any comment's or suggestion's we would love to hear them. :)

message 2: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) Is there a way to get the Shut Up & Read widget without the "books we've read" portion?

message 3: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Jul 14, 2012 07:49PM) (new)

Sheri | 12317 comments Mod
You have to have a bookshelf on the widget (I think), but you can change the shelf...either read, currently reading, or to-read.

Or, in the box where it asks for the number of books to show, try putting on "0". I'm not sure that would work, but worth a try and let us know.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/member...

message 4: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) Sheri wrote: "You have to have a bookshelf on the widget (I think), but you can change the shelf...either read, currently reading, or to-read.

Or, in the box where it asks for the number of books to show, try p..."

Okay, thanks. I'll let you know if it works.

message 5: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (jacqui-lee) | 37 comments I was trying to sign up for read it and reap 86 but its frozen and wont let us post I was wondering if it would be open at a specific time or if it was just computer/site issues?

message 6: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Tt will open the thread when she's ready to open sign ups. She'll send out a group message to let you know it's open :)

message 7: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Hey everyone! I've been moving things around a bit trying to make the group easier to navigate and getting rid of old threads to clean things up a bit. Sorry if for any confusion if you can't find what you're looking for! It's all there, just re-grouped!

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see in this group!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) Good work on changing the blog colour scheme, by the way.

A light background with dark text, is much, much easier on the eyes than white text on a black background.

message 9: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Thanks. I was going for more...I don't know...professional maybe. Or at least neater.

message 10: by Tammy K. (last edited Jul 31, 2012 06:18PM) (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) | 148 comments Ok where do I suggest thread ideas?
Got one, if I am posting this in the wrong area feel free to remove the comment. :) It's for the authors corner..
Have you ever had a character, that while you were writing the book, gave you a new understanding or insight into the concept that you were exploring? if so will you share that experience with us (like did it cause you to take the book in a new direction? change or challenge your personal views on the concept of the book? and so on).
I ask because I am sorta writing a book, and now that I am four chapters into it, I am thinking I need to change the way the lead character was portrayed, making me wonder if others have faced this hurtle, and if so did they stick to their original idea or change it out.

message 11: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Tammy, go ahead and start a thread in the author's corner for your question.

To start a thread, click on 'author's corner' then click on 'new thread' at the top. Thanks!

message 12: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 8 comments Hi, I am hoping you can help me...I have a few active "reading projects"...one here, one there, and another over there. lol I was wondering how everyone keeps track of all their "open reads".
For example, I have a book to read and review by Aug 17th.
I have another to read in Aug (as a BOTM)
And then another that I'm reading with a friend that has a 3 month time limit...as if I will need that long. :)

(And they are all for different groups I belong to)

How do you guys keep track of all your stuff? I'm not really seeing anything helpful on Goodreads other than creating a bunch of different shelves.

message 13: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

The best thing I've came up with is creating monthly shelves. From there, you can make your shelf 'sortable' on the bookshelf edit page, which allows you to number the books on your shelf. Put the books you have to read first at the top.

message 14: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 8 comments :) And add notes in the "private" section. I've been doing that or just adding comments where everyone can see. Seems to be working ok. I also started adding little sticky notes that I have on my comp to my desktop with book titles and due dates.

Thank you!

message 15: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) Never Too Old For YA Books does poem competitions.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks for the reply Marni, I will check it out.

message 17: by Ms Bridget (new)

Ms Bridget (obridget2) My suggestion? For ME PERSONALLY...I don't like all the event invites (invites period) that I get from Non-Friend on Goodreads...Although I do appreciate the thought...It gets to be too much for me.. So, again, for me personally, please do not send the invites...Thank you.. :-)

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

When one of the mods do a group invite for an event or a group message, it goes out to all group members collectively. As far as I know, there is no way to change this in your personal settings. As long as you are part of the group you will get these invites/messages. These will only come from the group mods. Any other invites you are getting are not from this group.

We do these invites to let the group members know of events happening here...Read It & Reap, blog events, etc.

message 19: by Tanecia (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3781 comments Mod
Michelle's wrote: "Hi, I am not sure where I should post this, but will try here. I have an author friend, who has a new dystopian book coming out in December, she is looking for bloggers to read and review the book...."

Michelle I will email you in a couple of hours!

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) | 1381 comments Not sure where to post this but hopefully someone can help me answer this question.

What is a genuine reviewer????

I'm confused are you only considered a genuine reviewer after you have your own blog, or can you just be really selective as to what you choose to review?

message 21: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I've never heard the term 'genuine reviewer.' Maybe it is someone who reviews for money? Or maybe someone who has done a large number of reviews? Where did you hear it?

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) | 1381 comments Someone was looking for reviews for their book, I offered to review the book and was told that it was for 'genuine reviewers', I just was not sure what it meant. I was sort of offended.

message 23: by Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (last edited Jan 20, 2013 03:42PM) (new)

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) | 1381 comments Sorry I guess I am still just a little upset. I realize the author has the right to deny someone for review, I just wish it had been done more gracefully.

message 24: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Yeah, you would think if they were going to have specifics for reviewers they would have stated that.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melstephensbooks) I saw this in another group and thought it was cute for a challenge.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 26: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

That does look fun. Thanks for the idea :)

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) I have a question about BotM voting. If you vote for a particular book, is the expectation that you will DEFINITELY be reading it/participating in the discussion should your choice be selected?

The reason I am asking is that I'm not really able to afford many books these days, so I typically borrow a great many from the library. I'm just afraid that I would not be able to get my hands on the book during the time the read-along is scheduled.

message 28: by Sera (new)

Sera (seracatty) Lumpenprole wrote: "I have a question about BotM voting. If you vote for a particular book, is the expectation that you will DEFINITELY be reading it/participating in the discussion should your choice be selected?

T..."

I don't think that's the way it is. For example, you can also vote for a book you loved and you want others to enjoy as well. It is nice if you can read it, but I don't think it's mandatory.

message 29: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Leigh | 15898 comments Mod
It is not mandatory.

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Leigh wrote: "It is not mandatory."

Glad to hear it, and thanks for letting me know. Will now cast my vote w/a clear conscience.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (goodreadscomrebeccae) I an new,I volunteered to read and write a review of 2 books in a series.I hate the 1st book (1/2 through) because it is way too depressing to me.I should not review dark books.I read 2 books a day but I can't force myself to finish the book.Should I just not review books.I love paranormal but just don't do depressing (child molestation,child violence,rape).Ikept hoping it would get lighter.No such luck.Don't want to slam author because of my preference.

message 32: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 116 comments Make sure to let author & mod on group know why you aren't reviewing. I now mention what I won't read asking the author if I'll be a good fit. I've found authors to be understanding when I forgot to mention up-front and to appreciate my asking questions before volunteering to read.

message 33: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Leigh | 15898 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "I an new,I volunteered to read and write a review of 2 books in a series.I hate the 1st book (1/2 through) because it is way too depressing to me.I should not review dark books.I read 2 books a day..."

Write your review stating your issues with your problems with the book. It was not your cup of tea and could not finish.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Rebecca wrote: "I an new,I volunteered to read and write a review of 2 books in a series.I hate the 1st book (1/2 through) because it is way too depressing to me.I should not review dark books.I read 2 books a day..."

I would just like to add to Leigh's response that I am very grateful for reviews that warn me about book content. More than once I have been interested in a book and then read a review that alerted me to depressing topics or something I would want to avoid and was glad someone posted a review and saved me the grief.

message 35: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Michael wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I an new,I volunteered to read and write a review of 2 books in a series.I hate the 1st book (1/2 through) because it is way too depressing to me.I should not review dark books.I re..."

Tags are another way to deal with this.
I have tags like "trauma" and "incest" and "sexplicit" on my books, not because I won't remember, but because I imagine that some people would want to know.
Reviews are also a good place to mention it.
I personally don't take the time to review all of the books I read though, so I know a tag can be a nice alternative.

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Alyssia wrote: "Michael wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I an new,I volunteered to read and write a review of 2 books in a series.I hate the 1st book (1/2 through) because it is way too depressing to me.I should not review..."

It's taken me a while, but I am starting to notice tags more. Although some people's take some deciphering!

message 37: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) It's true. Some of my tags are more for me - "speaks the truth" is my "I see the human condition here" tag, and is HIGHLY subjective. Things like "American lit" though, I feel are fairly accessible.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Here are some good ones I found:

Multiple meanings
pwn3d
slashy
twilight (but not a tag for Twilight)
i-am-a-grown-up
title-a-i
top-of-the-podium
stem-periodic-table
for-the-ears
tumble
i-m-praying
love-heaps

Indecipherable?
rr
yabc
ajpl
scpl
ryob
tjek-ud
ftlor

message 39: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Vollmer | 4 comments Faded GrayNovel Faded Gray wishes everyone an A1 St. Pat's day. St. Pat's day is a reoccurring day in the book and sets the real Am-multicultural scene.

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Johnson (nicoleann8211) | 4 comments I suggest a lot of really great books on my blog :) So please check there if you are interested.http://soulcleverbooks.blogspot.com

message 41: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickatron) | 5 comments People, what is the best book you have ever read? Something that not everyone has read, maybe (Fault in our Stars, Hunger Games, etc.). Something unusual...

message 42: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Hi Joe,
Here is the folder already set up within the group for social media - Twitter, blogs, Facebook, etc.:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 43: by Tina (new)

Tina Creek | 2 comments I asked this under the read and reap requirements but maybe i should have put it here. I understand that part of the fun in read and reap is adding new books to your collection, but I was wondering if reviewers/readers were encouraged to pick up the novels from kindle as well?

message 44: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 21 comments I just received an unexpected giveaway. I am a heavy commenter on another Group. But Mammoth by Jill
Baguchisky does not appear to be within the genre. I look forward in reading and reviewing this uncorrected proof.

message 45: by Victor (new)

Victor Carvajal (viccreator) | 1 comments Hi, i am reading all the naomi novik stuff, any recommendation to read for later? fantasy only please :)

message 46: by Patrice (new)

Patrice Nicholas | 1 comments Free on kindle unlimited
Do you have motivation? This book sure does, it is the perfect read for anyone who needs a cup of motivation. We as humans go through tons of emotions daily, and sometimes it's hard to relax. This book is a breath of fresh air and your guide to real life, self-development, wisdom, and the plain truth. If you want to go harder in life, you have to do what champions do! If you want to be successful, you have to turn that dream into a reality. If you want to change a bad habit, you must first change your mindset. I write for that boy who is suffering from depression, for that girl who wants to achieve her goals, for that man who needs encouragement through his marriage, for that woman who is getting physically abused by her husband, and for anyone who needs that extra boost of motivation. I give you real people with real problems to help you get through any situation.https://www.amazon.com/Staying-Motiva...

message 47: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 220 comments I have a suggestion... maybe to open a topic to share our book characters(the way we see them...), like in this review I posted https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
when i´m reading it´s like I´m watching a movie...just an idea :)

message 48: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 220 comments Also...maybe a toipic where people ask for help/reccommendation, for example this month I have to read a book with a crown on the cover and I´m between 2 books and I would love to know your opinions... should I go and read Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard or Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1) by Kendare Blake .I didn´t know exactly the place where I should ask for this. :)Hope it´s a good suggestion

message 49: by Oona (new)

Oona (warriorpriestess) | 7 comments It’s my birthday month so I have a little something for my readers to say “Thank you” for your support and love for my work!
This month my #ebooks are available for only $1,99 so go and grab it until the end of the month to support #reading and the love for #books aka cinema-in-the-head 📚🥳🌺

Available for @amazonkindle !

The Fairy In The Phone Box
My Mind Electric: a philosophical sci-fi horror novel
Creative Magic: how to write with focus and efficiency

message 50: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 220 comments I´m doing the reading challenge A-Z but having troubles in finding a book (better if romance or fantasy) for the letter X and Z. Want some suggestions please

« previous 1