Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > Getting to know your reading habits

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Came across this at another forum, thought it would be fun to try here. :-)

1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
2. What is your favorite drink while reading?
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open?
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both?
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
9. What are you currently reading?
10. What is the last book you bought?
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc?

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Yes, I do like to nibble often while reading, nothing special.

Don't really have a favorite, often it's lemonade or soda pop.

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I detest writing in a book, but I have made special exceptions for specific nonfiction resources I have.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open?
Bookmarks is my prefered method, but if I am going to be right back I might lay a book flat open if I don't have a bookmark close at hand.

Fiction a bit more than non-fiction

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I can stop anywhere but I prefer to read to the end of a chapter.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
Nah.

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
I stop and look it up right away. I like to keep a dictionary near by just in case.

Just finished First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I can read more than one but I prefer not to.

Not really.
I like both.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
No, I recommend SO many different ones.

By genre, then author, then series order, then single titles.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No, not usually. Though I read every minute I possibly can, so sometimes that coincides with eating.

Not really; maybe tea (hot).

I've never gotten in the habit of writing in books (too many library books in my youth, maybe); I'm not horrified by the idea, but I don't much like it.

Bookmarks are never where I need them to be, so I use whatever piece of paper is nearby. Sticky notes are good. (And that's where I make notes, rather than writing in the book.) This habit can be a problem when the piece of paper I stick in a book happens to be a bill, and stays in the book when I finish it ...

Both, but mostly fiction.

I'd rather stop at the end of a chapter. If I can't do that, I'd like a page break. If I can't do that I try to read to a page that ends on a closed paragraph. But if I have to just stop, I'm not hung up about it; it's just more annoying when I pick up the book again.

I've literally thrown two books (The Sword of Shannara - not to be reread as a Tolkien-loving adult, I guess - and another book where it was me, not the book, that caused the wall-banger). I've dropped several on the floor, with contempt; I admit to stepping on a couple in passing on purpose.

If I'm reading an e-book I will probably look it up online. Otherwise, I might make a note if it bothers me enough and check it out later.

Heh. I am reading (or listening to):
1 - Emily of New Moon on audio, in the car and during other down moments
2 - The Man Who Cast Two Shadows in paperback; I'm getting the latest book as an ARC and I want to catch up on the series
3 - Kim from Project Gutenberg, mostly at work (shhh)
4 - Dearly, Departed on my laptop, as a review galley from Netgalley.com
5 - Telling Lies for Fun and Profit in paperback in betwixt and between
That's it? I've gotten it up to six a couple of times this year ...

Bought bought, as in bought brand new: An Echo in the Bone. Swapped: The Magicians and Mrs. Quent from paperbackswap.com

:D See #10. A book for everyplace and everyplace with a book.

I don't feel right if I don't read before bed, and at least a page or two in the morning before work.

Either. Sometimes it's refreshing to pick up a stand-alone and know that the whole story is in my hand, but if I love the characters I'm always glad of a series.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Guy Gavriel Kay, till the sun goes down. Always. I think I always assume everyone I've met has read or at least tried Tolkien, but if I know you and I like you and you haven't read Kay, you must.

I worked at Barnes and Noble for a while, and I follow their patterns. Genre, then alphabetized by author. I try, anyway.

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments . Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I do not usually snack while reading, that's a movie thing

coffee or soda pop
I do not mark up my book unless it is the bible.
Bookmarks is my prefered method, dogear if no bookmark, or my finger if I'm doing to be
quick. My bird used to keep my place as a kid.
Fiction a lot more than non-fiction

I like to read to the end of a page as long as there is a period. I hate it when I get real tired before I finish reading.

No. I'll throw a boring book on the floor.

I stop and look it up right away. I like to keep a dictionary near by just in case.or my kindle dictionary

have a lot of books to finish, most likely a YA book

just got from the browse shelf from the library: Pegasus Descending (James L. Burke)

I can read more than one but I often don't finish any books this way until six months from starting them. get bored easily.

Not really.
i like to mix in stand alone books in between the series if I can't find the next book in series.

No, I recommend SO many different ones.

random. I don't have many books from one single author.

message 5: by Teawench (new)

Teawench 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No

Hot tea. Usually Darjeeling

I don't write in books. And yes, the idea horrifies me because I've gotten too many that were all written in.

Usually bookmark. Or random paper if none around. Flat if I can't immediately find something else.

Both probably equally but getting more into non-fiction because i'm finding fiction to be too predictable.

I'll try to finish a chapter if I can but I'm not adverse to stopping in the middle.

I had never actually heard of this practice until I started hanging out on GR. Never done it, never will and don't understand it.

I usually ignore them. But now that I have my Nook, I'm more apt to look them up.

Dracula the Un-Dead
A Game of Thrones
some others

There was a stack of books from a used bookstore that included some PN Elrod and I forget what else.

Usually more than one

Any time I can. I prefer to be somewhere my cat can be on my lap.

Depends. There are a few series I like but I probably prefer stand alones.

Edward Rutherfurd

Genre -> Author -> Date of publication with series being after stand alones when an author does both

message 6: by Karen M (last edited Nov 11, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Karen M | 418 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Trisket

Tea, lots of tea

I never ever write in books but in complete contradiction I love finding notes and comments in used books.

Bookmark unless I've temporarily lost one, then its whatever bit of paper comes to hand.

Both. Love lots of variety.

I try to read to the end of the chapter but lately I find myself just stopping wherever I am.

No, no, no book abuse Please!

LOL Dictionary.com is on my Favorites List

Middlesex
The Bird Sisters

Harry Potter Boxed Set

I do better with two but sometimes I'll do an audio to make it three.

Anytime at all

I like both. I think I have too many series going at once but eventually I'll get to them all.

Little Women

First, Read and TBR and then by author.

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes and it really doesn't matter as long as it's yummy and doesn't drip.

Milk or water

Horrify me.

A red ribbion that I use as a book mark.

Both

Stop anywhere

Sometimes

No

The Death Cure

Inheritance

I sometimes read more then one but most of the time just one.

Nope

Depends on my mood, sometimes I want to just know what happens and not wait for it and sometimes I enjoy the relationship you get with series.

Enclave-I reccommend it to all Hunger Games fans

Genre and then by series.

message 8: by Shannon (last edited Nov 11, 2011 02:37PM) (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I do not often snack while I read but I do tend to read during meals (when I'm alone of course)

I usually have water near by at all times and occasionally I'll have a glass of wine

It is only acceptable to write in text books and I rarely do that because I like to sell them at the end of the semester

I use plastic coated paperclips as book marks, very reliable (they don't fall out)

Mostly Fiction but I'll pretty much read anything that catches my eye.

Stop anywhere (preferably where a sentence and page end at the same time)

No, I won't say I don't ever want to but I don't act on the impulse.

Nope

Destiny and listening to Wed Him Before You Bed Him

Taming the Highland Bride

I almost always have at least 2 books going at once.

Anytime, Anyplace..... as long as it won't get me in trouble.

I'm a sucker for a series

Lately Lynsay Sands I always blab about a "new to me" author that I like

Type of book (hard back, Mass market paperback, etc) then author's last name.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (bookeater89) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I don't choose to snack, i'm just somtimes reading when its meal times and so they overlap.

Sainsburys Peach and white grape juice. Its pure heaven!

No, unless its non fiction.

Bookmark, but if ive lost it anyhting thats too hand. If not I just lye it over the arm of the chair.

Both, but mostly fiction.

I can stop anywhere, but I prefere to read to a break of some kind.

Haha! I've only done this with one book and that was Dracula because the ending dissapointed me that much on first reading, ive still re-read it every year, and the ending makes me sigh in fustration every time.

I make a note and carry on, if it really bugs me I will look it up. Theres always a dictionary close by.

ummm... alot haha! the book in my hand at the minuite is Charlaine Harris, Dead untill dark. But I also have an Encyclopedia, Bernard Cornwell's new book Death of Kings and Terry Pratchett's, Wintersmith all within reaching distance that are all half way through.

I picked up from Waterstones the Inheritance book, but with the wonders of internet shopping I can't remember untill they arrive.

More than one very easily.

All the time, anywhere.

I like stand alones but I sometimes wish that they would carry one. Some series I wish the authors would just end them so it's final and I can stop reading them now.

Bernard Cornwell and Terry Pratchett.

They were all authors last names apart from non fiction which was catagorised.... but now its just where ever the books will kind of fit. :(

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
cookies and milk, of course
see above
Oh, the horror!!!
Bookmarks only!!
Mostly Fiction :)
Wherever... it's literally the thought that counts :P
..on the floor...
No, I will write it down if it bugs me...
Bad Blood, Les Miserables, Let Me In and The Night Eternal..
The Night Eternal
see above :)
Evening, after work... or a nice,, lazy sunday
Both
Stephen King!!!
By author and publish date of those books. Stephen King and starting with first book; then Dean Koontz, etc., etc. ...:)

message 11: by Pete (last edited Nov 11, 2011 07:55PM) (new)

Pete | 42 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Never

Don't drink while reading either.

I haven't been able to bring myself to mark my books (except some nonfiction). I do, however, really enjoy reading other people's notes in their books or used books that I've bought.

Bookmark

Mostly fiction. I want to read more nonfiction next year.

I try to make it to the end of a chapter if my eyes will stay open.

No, I just stop reading it. I won't even start a book if I suspect it will irritate me.

I often do. I keep a dictionary next to my reading chair.

The First Horseman by John Case and Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynmann!

The Dyslexic Advantage (I'm a dyslexia tutor)

More than one

I go down to my basement library at around 9:00pm and read for 1-3 hrs.

Doesn't matter

I do have favorite authors, but I try to stay out of a rut.

Fiction I organize by author. I keep the hard cover books separate from the paperbacks. Nonfiction I organize by subject.

message 12: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Henderson | 10 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes I snack but nothing special, just whatever's in the cupboard.

Tea

It doesn't horrify me. Sometimes I'll write notes in my books, just depends.

Bookmark

I read both, moreso fiction though.

I can stop anywhere

No, I just stop reading

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? No, I write it in the back of the book and look it up later.

The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise

10. What is the last book you bought? Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I tend to read more than one at a time, but if I find a book I can't put down, I just stick to that one.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Just whenever I have time

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Doesn't matter

Not really, no. Depending on the person and their interests, the authors I recommend vary.

I don't. I just put on my shelf whichever way. I'm not organized.

message 13: by Pete (new)

Pete | 42 comments Sonya wrote: "4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open?
... My bird used to keep my place as a kid."

Sonya? Would you care to elaborate?

message 14: by Valerie (last edited Nov 12, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 57 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Not really.

Coffee, water, or tea.

I only mark up my textbooks.

These days, I use bookmarks.

Mostly fiction, but I like non-fiction once in a while.

I try to read until either the end of a chapter, end of a paragraph before a section break, or the end of the page if it ends with a full sentence.

Hah, I actually did that for the first time a few weeks ago...

I really should, but I don't. :(

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters and Orientalism.

Wintersmith, Swordspoint, and The Oracle's Queen at a Borders run in September.

I can do up to three comfortably.

Not really, I just tend to read whenever. :D

Right now I'm juggling quite a few series, so I'm aiming for more stand-alones at the moment.

From hanging out at the Community Book Recommendations section, I find myself recommending M.T. Anderson quite a lot. He's a YA author who is amazing. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing and Feed are very different books, but equally amazing.

Indiscriminately. :P

message 15: by Thom (last edited Nov 12, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments 1.Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I occasionally snack while reading and generally it is some kind of hard sausage. Yes, I know it is not the wisest or most healthy of snacks but it is delicious.
Hot tea with lemon; It combines remarkably well with my snack.
I don’t disfigure any book and it is a horrifying idea.
I am defiantly a bookmark man.
I’ll read almost anything in print.
Taking into consideration that I read anytime and any/everywhere, I stop anywhere and pick it up again when the time and opportunity presents itself.
I can’t honestly say that it has never crossed my mind but prudence prevails and I have never actually done it.
I love words and consider the mastering of each a treasure. If the opportunity presents itself I look it up directly and to help embed it in my mind and active vocabulary I try to use it within twenty-four hours. If I can’t look it up immediately I write it down and look it up later.
I am currently reading Code to Zero by Ken Follett.
The last book I bought was Fire Along the Sky by Sara Donati.
I generally read one book at a time, being a male I’m not the best at multi-tasking but occasionally I do venture two books.
In an old high-backed Chesterfield chair in my library is my favorite place. As long as the place is warm and dry I can read happily anywhere. I think this is because I generally leave this world and step into the story.
I have no preferences in series or stand-alones but I do prefer thick books (1000+ pages) to thinner books.
The last great story I’ve read would be my current recommendation. I do tend to stay true to any great author I read and look for and read as many books by them as I can
I generally organize them by author’s last names (the thought of organizing them by the author’s first name had never occurred to me).

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Not too often.
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Iced tea
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I never mark in my books
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Bookmark
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Mostly non-fiction but also British mysteries
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? End of the chapter
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Never, I just give it away
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? No
9. What are you currently reading? The Boer War
10. What is the last book you bought? The Bonus Army
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I usually read at least two at a time
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? In bed
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Either
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Yes, Christopher Hibbert for those who love British history
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Unfortunately, my books are in no order whatsoever

message 17: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments i truly enjoyed reading these

message 18: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments @ Sonya - they are fun to read, aren't they? Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed reading everyone's answers, lol. And now I'm going to do my own!

Don't snack

Coffee or tea

I don't write in books, but if I can be bothered, I'll get a piece of paper and copy out any lines I find that I like

Bookmark

Both, but I read more fiction

I can stop anywhere... wherever my eyes get too tired

Nope. But I will complain endlessly about it to anyone within earshot!

...No

A Short History of Nearly Everything and Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip - Book Two

Orbitsville

I like to have a fiction, a non-fiction or classic and a graphic novel on the go at the same time

Sleep time

Don't mind, but I read more stand-alones

C.J Sansom and Wilkie Collins

Wherever they'll fit on the shelves... I dream of having organised bookshelves ;-;

message 19: by Tayla36 (new)

Tayla36 | 14 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Is there a difference between snacking while you read, and reading while you eat? Because I always have a book in my hand while I'm eating lunch.

Water or hot tea

Never do I ever write in a book.

I always use a bookmark (and sometimes that's just any piece of scrap paper laying around). My young nieces are just starting to read chapter books that they can't finish in one sitting. I'm trying to get them to use bookmarks, but one of them lays the book flat open and the other dog ears. I cringe every time I see them do that. I have, when I haven't had anything to mark the page with, let the book close rather than dog ear or laying flat, and then had to go search for where I left off.

Almost exclusively fiction and almost exclusively Science Fiction and Fantasy (which I still group together)

I try to read to the end of the chapter, but it doesn't stress me if I just have to stop anywhere.

No.

Usually, because usually my computer is on and it's easy to go to an online dictionary.

The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven

I went to a library book sale in October and bought 8 books (which is actually a small haul for me) that included two of the "Twilight" books and one of Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" books. I hardly ever buy a book full price anymore. It's always library sales, online used books, bookswaps, or discount stores.

Usually one at a time, but I have occasionally had two going.

Nope. I will read any time, any where.

I read almost exclusively Sci Fi and Fantasy, and they are usually series.

Nope. Depends on what kind of story people are looking for.

Physically, by genre, and then alpha by author's last name. but I do have two seperate logs, one alpha by author, and one alpha by title. Oh and I seperate Hardbacks from Paperbacks.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Came across this at another forum, thought it would be fun to try here. :-)

1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? No
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Tea
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? No
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? bookmark
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? both
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Anywhere
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? NO
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? NO
9. What are you currently reading? The Dovekeepers
10. What is the last book you bought? 1Q84
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Just read one.
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Right before bed.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Both
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? No
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Sizel

message 21: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Nov 13, 2011 04:59AM) (new)

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I used to eat tons of sunflower seeds for years, but nothing for the past year.

Tea or coffee.

I mark/underline my self-guide books only.

Bookmark, TV-control, napkin... whatever's handy since I detest dog-earing.

Fiction, almost exclusively.

Anywhere.

Only has happened twice in my life.

If I'm reading in my ereader I check it right away in the built-in dictionary. Else, only if the word seems crucial to the meaning of the whole sentence.

The Shadow of the Wind, The Night Circus

Jacob

I read one book at a time and listen to a second one when in the car, gym, office.

In my armchair by the fireplace during the winter; anywhere the rest of the year. Anytime I can.

I prefer stand alones but I do have series that I follow faithfully.

No, I recommend based on the person asking advice or the last book that made an huge impression in me, as happened with The Hunger Games.

Only organization I make is undread versus read books.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary Chambers (marycha) | 49 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
not any more!
I like coffee or tea, both hot or cold.
The only book I mark is my Bible.
I use bookmarks, preferably a personally chosen travel brochure.
both
I can stop anywhere and pick it up again. But if I try to read to the end of the chapter I get more reading in.
absolutely not, I cherish books.
no. I don't have time.
a memoir, TRESPASSERS WILL BE BAPTIZED by Elizabeth Emerson Hancock
HEAVEN by Randy Alcorn
I read many at a time, right now it's eleven.
any time, any where
I love series books, but I read more stand-alones.
I recommend Bodie Thoene. She writes Christian Historical Fiction.
by author's last name

message 23: by Shaik (new)

Shaik | 3 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
As a general rule, No. But when I do it’s some form of crisps (or chips as some of you call it).

This would depend on where I’m reading. At home it seems to be coffee.

I refuse to write in any book. I do use post-it notes or any other items (like currency notes) to mark pages that I want to refer to later.

I always read with a bookmark.

Both, but these days it seems to be more non-fiction.

I usually stop at the end of a chapter.

Never.

No, except on the rare occasion when the dictionary happens to be laying close by.

“The Emperor of All Maladies” by Siddhartha Mukheriee and “Critical Path” by R Buckminster Fuller.

“Getting the Best out of Al-Hajj” and “The Ultimate Guide to Umrah”, both by Abu Muneer Ismail Davids.

Usually it’s 2 or 3 books together. There’s at least one is kept in my room and one in my bag.

Not really.

Stand-alones it is. I only start on series if I have access to the whole set.

These days I’m hooked on Buckminster Fuller (Bucky).

I’m very disorganized.

message 24: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments I also enjoy reading about other peoples reading habits. Sometimes I even adopt them into my own weirdness!! :)

Sometimes - depends on my mood and where I am reading. Could be anything from carrots, grapes, to lunch, to a quick chocolate faze!
Mt Dew or Water
I am horrid - I enjoy marking up the self help book, finance books, and text books. Books for enjoyment - No Way, but I do like to write down good quotes from my books for enjoyment.
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Bookmark, but if it is just for a bathroom break then I will lay it flat (I apologize, I can hear the shuddering from many of you.)
Both, but I tend to do more fiction. I wanna escape the real world!!
I prefer the end of a chapter, but as I have gotten older have started stopping anywhere.
Shudder, but yes I have done this. It was a really irritating book!!
If I don't understand from the context of the sentence then the dictionary app on my phone is quickly put to use.
9. What are you currently reading? Glenn Beck - Arguing with Idiots
We will go with the last one that I received in the mail (I ordered it and told my parents that is what I wanted for my b-day!) - Inheritance
I myself read one book at a time (usually) but am reading a book with each of my nieces, so in some ways I have at least three books going at a time.
I usually read before bed for a few hours, but I always carry a book with me.
Both, and anymore it seems like more and more are becoming series. Why, oh why??
Not really because I tend to recommend on what the person is looking for, but I am a creature of habit. I tend to stay to the same authors I know and love.
I don't really organize much off of that, but I put the same authors together and by paperback vs. softback. I also tend to put series in number order.

Mariel (TheCrownedGoddessReads) (marieru) | 88 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No. If the need come I put the book down and get something to eat.

None. Same as above.

It's a valid choice for some but not for me.

Bookmark. In desperate case, any piece of paper.

Mostly fiction.

End of the chapter for me. Or at least the end of a paragraph.

Never. If I'm very upset I just close it for a while.

Most of the time. And I try to use it or talk about it to someone.

The Name of the Wind

Blood Red Road

One book at a time.

I can read anywhere, anytime.

Stand-alones. Sometimes I buy a book and don't know is a series, it happens with The name of the Wind.

No.

By language, genre and finally author.

message 26: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes (sometimes I eat dinner). Usually apples & cheese
Diet coke
I like to underline; make notes: I think of it as "being in dialog with" the book (only in books I own of course); sometimes I use a variety of color markers; I hate to use pencil but it depends on the paper surface.
Mostly I stick whatever is flat & nearby; sometimes I lie open or use a "real" bookmark; I never dog-ear. Often I just close the book: I figure that if I don't remember where I was when I open the book again, I should re-read from the last place I remember.
Both, tho' I love fiction. Also poetry.
I can stop anywhere. Sometimes I jump to the end of the group. I try to finish the sentence!
It's been known to happen. Especially with The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, a book I later grew to love.
Not usually, unless it seems critical for the meaning of a passage or is particularly cute.
1Q84. Also, Sophie Scholl and the White Rose; The Recognitions; Speaking Christian: Why Christian Words Have Lost Their Meaning and Power - And How They Can Be Restored; Silence of the Grave
Silence of the Grave
Uh...more than one
afternoon, evening; middle of the night/in my car, on my bed (bad though because I tend to fall asleep-which is especially bad with my Kindle), in the park
Either if they're well-written. I like detective series
Haruki Murakami; A Wrinkle in Time
At my best, by genre & within that by author's last name. Right now, the biggest book goes at the bottom of the pile & the piles should be kept neat!

message 27: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I do sometimes. My favorite reading snack is almonds, it's not going to leave smudges on my book ad is still yummy.

Diet coke or coffee, either will work for me.

It depends on the kind of book. If its a novel or book I want to swap once I finish it then no I won't write in it. If its a NF or other book I am using for my own development, learning, or whatever then I will mark on it.

Mostly bookmarks that consist of scrap pieces of paper.

Both

I always try to leave off at the end of a chapter, but defintely at the end of a scene.

If the book is truly that horrid then yes I will. But it had to be pretty tragically, pathetically bad....like blood shooting out your eyes bad.

Not right away, I try to figure it out based on the context it was used. If I still don't know then I will look it up later.

Serial by John Lutz

I think it was Left to Die by Lisa Jackson

I usually have 3 or 4 books I am in the middle of reading. I have one at work, one in my bag, one for reading before bed, and one for the car.

In my bed before bedtime when its raining.

It depends on how good it is. I am a sucker for series, but they have to be good. Stand alones are great too.

I can't seem to stop recommending Lisa Jackson and Scott Sigler to people...even if I am apprehensive they will like it.

I tend to organize my books on the following shelfs....read and keeping, read and swapping, not read yet.

message 28: by Mackenzi (new)

Mackenzi (werewolfmack) | 21 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

I will eat anything and everything while reading a book. I have mastered eating cereal or soup while laying down in bed while reading a book at the same time.

Same as above!

I never had a reason to write in my books, except some of the big book of quotes I get. I underline or highlight my favorites.

All of the above- I keep a bookmark until I lose it. I dog-ear pages that I like to re-read after the book is done. I lay my books out flat when I have to jump up for a quick moment. I remember the page number if it's time for lights out or I have to go to class.

Mostly fiction, but I also love art books, biographical books (thinking David Sedaris style), and info books about nature, bugs, animals, mythology, that sort of thing.

I can stop anywhere, but if I cross a stopping point it's just that much harder to put down.

I haven't ever. The worst writing I've read has only made me put the book down permanently- probably the worst thing you can do to an author's feelings anyway.
My mother once burnt a book she disliked so badly- put it on a stick over the fireplace out back.

No, I can't stop the story for something so trivial! If it ever comes up again I may look it up, but usually I forget about it by the time I put the book down.

Too many books unfinished but waiting to be...

I think... it was "Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists" and it is a very fun, inspirational book full of little art activities that anyone could try.

I have 20+ going right now, but they can be on pause for years worst case scenario. I'l' finish you someday, Journey to the Center of the Earth...

It feels the best when I have something more important to be doing. >:) Reading books is the only procrastination method that I can use without feeling guilty- with expectedly disastrous results!

BOTH.

Stop whatever you are doing and go read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón RIGHT NOW. It is the best book I have EVER read.

At home: Genre>category>size>color/author
I only have one small bookcase at school, and it is sorted by color. I never have problems remembering where my books go, I just put them where it makes sense and I know where to look for it later.

message 29: by Chris (last edited Nov 16, 2011 08:36PM) (new)

Chris 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Almost never

Water or Mt. Dew

Never have, never will, never want to.

Bookmark. I use a 3x5 index card in which I write down the book title and the page numbers down of passages that were particularly meaningful that I might want to refer back to later.

Mostly non-fiction, with an occasional fiction thrown in the mix.

I definitely prefer the end of the chapter, but can stop anywhere if necessitated.

No. Although this year I did actually throw away a book because I was so appalled/outraged/grossed out by it. I'm not a proponent of throwing away books by any means, but that book was a special case.

Yes. This is why I have the Dictionary App on my phone for this very reason

Atlas Shrugged

In a Time of War: The Proud and Perilous Journey of West Point's Class of 2002

I generally read only one book at a time. However, I will have unfinished books lying around occasionally when I give up on a book for a little while

Depends on my mood. A few favorites though would be outside on the porch on a nice warm day, curled up on the couch on a rainy day, or by the fire under a blanket on a cold day. I prefer wherever it is to be quiet.

Depends on the subject

On certain subjects, yes

The way my books are organized on my shelves wouldn't make much sense to others for the most part, but it makes sense in my head. Hard to articulate it in writing

message 30: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 Joseph wrote: "Came across this at another forum, thought it would be fun to try here. :-)

3. Do..."

What a fun post!

message 31: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Nope. I especially try to avoid cheesy snack, since they’ll ruin the pages.
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Sprite, although I don’t always drink anything while reading.
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Yes, I mark my textbooks. I don’t mark fiction books, however.
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? I use post-its or a library receipt.
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I feel a little annoyed when I can’t read to the end of a chapter, but I get over it—quickly.
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? No, of course not.
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? No, I often write them down on the post its I’m using and look them up later. I used to keep a notebook full of vocabulary. I don’t practice this as much as I should.
9. What are you currently reading? Cleopatra and listening to Solitary.
10. What is the last book you bought? Solitary (an audio book).
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I prefer to read one at a time, so I can remain fully attached, but it does not always work that way for me, because I like listening to audio books during my long commute.
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Yes, Sunday mornings—for hours.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Stand-alones, although I have read a riveting series or two.
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? No.
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? On my bookshelf? By size (small to large). I put keep textbooks together.

message 32: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 5) Both. I love Realistic Fiction, Fantasy, and Inspirational books.

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Not usually, although I have been known to nibble on a few Triscuits or maybe a couple of shortbread cookies once in a while.

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Tea or water. I've become addicted to the Mio recently, so I've usually got a water bottle flavored with that.

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I've never been able to write in books. And, slightly off-topic, but can I say how much that whole altered book craft trend made me cringe?

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? If I'm reading a paper book, I use a bookmark. I have a pretty fair collection of them. With my Kindle, it isn't an issue because it remembers where you left off.

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Mostly fiction, but I do like non-fiction, as well, mainly history or biography.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I usually stop at the end of a chapter unless it's gotten to be very late and my eyes just won't focus on the page anymore.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? No, I'll usually just close it and set it aside. The only time I can actually remember doing that was when I tried to read "Twilight".

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? If I can't get it from context, then yes. Again, that's something that is much easier with the Kindle, because I just have to highlight the word and the dictionary pops up the definition for me.

9. What are you currently reading? "White Seed" and "Fortune's Fool". I like having more than one book, but they need to be very different genres.

10. What is the last book you bought? "Keegan's Chronicles: Trilogy Set"

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I usually have 2-3 books going at any given time. They all are different genres, so I have something to read, no matter what my mood.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Pretty much anywhere, although I usually nest in on the couch at night. The cat and I curl up together.

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? It depends on the book. I've read fantastic stand-alones that made me wish they were a series and series that I thought should have ended earlier. It really depends on the story.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? I have a few favorite authors, but if I recommend a book, it's usually because it really grabbed me and I think a friend or family member would also enjoy it.

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Paper books are organized by author, then title. Series go in chronological order. On my Kindle, I have genre folders that are listed by author. I also have a few series that are listed, as well.

message 34: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I don't snack while I read because I usually read before going to bed. But...

...Whenever I do snack, it's a cup of coffee or hot chocolate for me =)

The idea used to horrify me but I needed to do it while I was in university in order to remember certain thoughts that stood out for me. But for fiction novels, I don't; I actually have this bookmark from Knock Knock that enables me to write page numbers down and stuff, which is pretty nifty: http://www.knockknockstuff.com/catalo...

Bookmark

Both

I try to read to the end of the chapter or after the end of a scene; it'd nag me all day if I stop in the middle of an intense moment or something.

Not that I recall xD

Thanks to my Kobo eReader, yeah, I have a tendency of doing it now, just to add to my vocab

I actually just finished reading two books right now--Adam Gopnik's Winter and Georgette Heyer's Regency Buck--so I don't know what I'll be reading next.

Georgette Heyer's Black Sheep for my Kobo

Can read more than one book at one time, something I've been doing a lot of lately xD

In my room, when there's no one bothering me =P

I'm usually a bit picky with series books only because of time constraints (fantasy unfortunately is made up of lots of trilogies and series so you have to wade in a bit and prioritise, lol), but I like both.

I found myself recommending Ann Fortier's Juliet a bit lately; I read it last year and absolutely enjoyed it.

I usued to organise it by genre but given my lack of shelf space these days, it's organised based on height and who can squeeze where *blushes*

message 35: by Amy Seraphina (new)

Amy Seraphina (amyseden) | 1 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Not really, I don't want to smudge the pages of a book with chocolate bits.
Coke or cordial.
I would never mark a book, I use post-it notes or light pencil if I have to.
I use the receipts as bookmarks so if I'm on the go and enter a book store I always have the receipt. I would never intentionally lie a book flat incase of damaging the spine.
Fiction mainly, nonfiction has never really grabbed me.
I can stop anywhere, but I usually stop at the end of a chapter.
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? I have twice, only when an author really, really irrates me. I then remove the book from my reading list and throw the book in a box never to be seen again.
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? i take a mental note and look it up later unless it's a word that really strikes me to find the definition at the time.
Many books, but at this very moment - House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones.
House of Many Ways and Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones
Many just one at a time, usually.
Not really, my bed with my cat lying beside me?
Both.
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Jasper Fforde, plus many others...
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? By series and favourite authors. But basically what fits on my bookshelves the best...

message 36: by Joanna (new)

Joanna 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Occasionally I do snack while reading but I don't have a specific 'reading snack'.

Tea/Hot chocolate/glass of wine

Yes I do, always did, naturally only in my own books. It's one of my ways of interacting with the text.

Bookmark usually, sometimes laying the book flat open.

Mainly Fiction. Occasionally Non-Fiction (a bit of psychology, history, linguistics, essays on literature)

I usually try to get to some sort of natural breaking point in the story but I also read myself to sleep and often drop off at random points.

No, but I do shout, swear and write multiple insults on the margins.

It all depends on how engaged with the book I am (sometimes I don't want to break a spell and check the word immediately) and how vital to the understanding of the text the word is. Lately I've been reading mainly on Kindle so I can check any word pretty much immediately.

'ICO: Castle in the Mist' which I'm not really enjoying and another volume in a 47-books saga. Fairly mindless/generic stuff but I've been mad busy at work and need light entertainment when I'm off.

"A Storm Hits Valparaiso" by David Gaughran

Usually a few at the same time.

No favorite time, and as to the favorite place - the very comfy couch in my sitting room.

Both

LOTR, "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco and many more

The only divisions I made on my bookshelves are fiction/non-fiction and in English/in Polish

message 37: by Julia (new)

Julia Winegeart | 3 comments Joseph wrote: "Came across this at another forum, thought it would be fun to try here. :-)
This was fun to read all the people's responses! Thanks!

3. Do..."

Not always, but when I do it's normally pretzels or dry lucky charms.

Black coffee or fruity teas.

Depends on the edition I have. I can't write in a book if it's too pretty but if it's just a beat up paper back I'll write and highlight.

Post it notes or receipts or whatever paper happens to be lying around.

I devour non-fiction but I do enjoy non-fiction occasionally. I'm equally interested but I can't wholly emerse myself in non-fiction as easily though.

End of the chapter. I can't stand stopping anywhere because then I know when I open the book again I'll skip and read ahead when looking for my spot.

Yes. Normally accompanied by much shouting. My husband tells me I'm a loud reader.

I didn't used to because I didn't want to stop reading. I'd note it and look it up at the end of the chapter. But now with the Kindle, most definitely yes. That's one of the reasons I love it.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

A Grief Observed, CS Lewis

One book at a time.

Always and anywhere although I do prefer less noise.

I don't really have a preference.

I'm self conscious about recommending books. But I do recommend Sense and Sensibility quite a bit as I'm a bit of an Austen nerd.

First by genre and then by author's last name. Child of the Dewey Decimal system.

message 38: by Huw (last edited Jan 22, 2012 12:16PM) (new)

Huw Evans (dochuw) | 58 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack?
AS little as possible - I hate grease stains on the pages as much as I hate coffee rings.

2. What is your favourite drink while reading?
It doesn't matter as long as it is nowhere near the pages

The idea horrifies me, unless it is a textbook. If anything strikes me I write it down in a notepad and follow it up later.

I have a large selection of postcards that work admirably

Anything and everything at least once.

I can stop at the end of any paragraph

It has to be a hideous read for me to do this; I am much more likely to swear volubly at the text. It is also the only occasion I might deface a page.

I usually take a mental stab at its meaning, write it down and check it at the end of the chapter.

Stephen King's, The Drawing of the Three and Paul Theroux' Ghost Train to the Eastern Star (what a curmudgeon that man is)

The Emperor of All Maladies - buying books is an limited option when on UK state benefits

I have to have more than one book on the go - I need to read something that suits my mood at the time.

12. Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
Anywhere where I can be uninterrupted for long enough to indulge my senses. I have a room with two signs on the door. One says, "Beware of the Rottweiler", the other, "Piss Off, I'm Busy". If the door is closed, take notice.

I will read series until I get bored of the characters or the plot line becomes predictable (Sharpe springs to mind).

I would much rather find out what other people enjoy reading but confess to being able to find a Terry Pratchett that suits most readers!

Strangely, by size and then by author within that size. My fault entirely - I screwed up when putting up the shelves! There is one shelf that disobeys this rule and contains all sorts of things in no particular order. These are my "comfort reads" and the love each other far too much to be separated.

message 39: by Alpha (new)

Alpha (janomega) | 20 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I don't snack or eat anything during my reading unless I am at Barnes & Noble in which I'll have something from their cafe. I usually get Tazo Chai Fraps, Spinach & Feta Cheese Pretzels, or any of their sandwiches.

Consult answer to question #1 please.

I don't mark my hardcover or paperback books. My Nook has a highlight and note function and I use that to mark my favorite quotes and chapters.

Bookmarks all the way! I only lay the book flat if I need to attend to something quickly but only if it's quickly!

Both

That depends on the book. If a chapter is over 200 pages long...I tend to read to a break.

No author irritates me. I will always find enjoyment in any novel I read...PERIOD!

I write the word down on a sticky note if its a hardcover or paperback. If there is internet, I tend to use the dictionary option my Nook has.

A Little Bit Wicked Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristin Chenoweth Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert The Way of the Wild Heart A Map for the Masculine Journey by John Eldredge Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman

Electric Barracuda (Serge Storms Series #13) by Tim Dorsey

I prefer to read one book at a time but every once in a while, I go crazy.

Anytime I can which includes lunch hour, after work, and weekends. My favorite place is Barnes & Noble.

I don't mind either. However I treat series like a stand-alone. I good book could possibly ruined by readers if its in a bad series...kinda like the 50/50 war for those who read the Hunger Games Trilogy!

Not necessarily! I like them all equally!

Author's Last Name unless it's a very specific pen name like Maddox.

message 40: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Not usually, if I do, then I find I have eaten WAY too much by the time I'm done reading.

Cliche, I know, but Coffee or a glass of wine.

I only mark non-fiction books when I think that I will need to reference that particular passage in the future. I was one who had more highlighting in my college books than un-highlighted passages:)

I usually lay the book flat open.

Both.

I usually try to stop at a chapter break, but if that's not always possible.

Yes, I have been known to abandon a series because I didn't like where the story was heading.

Not usually.

Currently, I'm looking for a new book or series. So, I have several books started, waiting for one of them to truly catch my attention.

Tangled Threads, by Jennifer Estep.

I usually read one at a time, but not always. It depends upon whether one of the books has truly captured my attention or not.

Absolutely before going to sleep at night, then pretty much anytime I have a free moment.

Lately, I've been reading series, but I do enjoy stand alone novels as well. I think the appeal for a series (to me) is that if I find a character or story line that I enjoy, of course I want to read more than just one book about it.

Yes, lately it's been the Downside series by Stacia Kane. It changes over time though.

Usually by genre.

message 41: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (ninjaneer) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Not usually. I don't like getting food on my books.

Tea. I know it's super cliche, but I love myself some tea.

Writing in books that I read for pleasure is something I don't do, but I don't mind writing in textbooks that I've bought for college.

Generally a bookmark. It's easiest for transportation.

Yes.

If I know I'm going to have to do something, I'll stop at the nearest chapter so that I can find my spot quickly when I come back, but if I have too-short of notice, then I don't mind just stopping wherever.

I don't really throw books, but then again, I don't do angry. But I have abandoned a book or series if I didn't care for it.

It kind of depends. If my computer is handy, I'll google the definition. Otherwise I'll make a list of words to look up later.

I'm currently wading through the unabridged edition of Les Miserables (passed the 1/4 mark yesterday!) but I'm also reading a few other random books when I get tired of reading Les Mis.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (I found a beautiful hardback copy at the local Half-Price Bookstore)

I usually read one at a time, but not always. It depends on how long and involved the main book I'm reading is. The heavier the main read, the more likely I am to have a few light reads on the side.

Pretty much any time that I'm conscious and not obligated to work on something else.

I like both. I'm almost always involved in a series, but I like to interject random stand-alones in between parts of a series.

Well, I work in a tutoring office at my university, and we make it our goal to bring out the nerds within people. So I often recommend books like Dune and Ender's Game.

I've only got one set of shelves because I'm a poor, recently-graduated-from-college kid, but they're just kind of haphazardly organized at the moment because I don't have the space to organize them properly. But I would organize them my fiction/nonfiction first, then by author.

message 42: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 65 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I rarely snack when reading.

Same, I don't really drink when I'm reading either. If I do, it's whatevers sitting handy.

Only books I've ever marked have been 1s for exams at school. That was before they got too fussy about "clean copies"

Sometimes I'll use something as a bookmark - post-it notes usually. Or else I just tend to remember the chapter/page number

Mostly fiction

Depends on the length of a chapter. I prefer the end of a chapter but I can stop anywhere if the chapters are very long or I don't have time to read to the end.

Nope, never done that.

Nope.

Some Girls BiteOrange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison and also Bleak House

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

Sometimes I read more than 1 at a time.

Not really... anytime, anywhere...

I like both

Not really

Partly by size, partly by author, I like books in a series to be together, partly by genre. I don't have 1 main way to organise them but the mixture of ways suits me.

message 43: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No. I don't want to damage my books with greasy hands.

A can of soda

I don't mark the book. I just sign in here and mark the book as read. And I have an excel sheet that I keep track of what books I've read and when I read them, etc.

I use a bookmark. I don't do any of the other things because they damage the book and make the pages fall out.

Fiction

I read till the end of the chapter.

LOL, no.

Yea, the built in dictionary is something I really love about my kindle.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

One For the Money by Janet Evanovich. I've already read it.

One at a time.

When no one else is home.

I like both.

Not really.

Author last name, A-Z on my many bookshelves.

message 44: by Becomingme (new)

Becomingme | 15 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? Not really
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Water
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Horrify!!
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Anywhere
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Nope
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Of couse, look it up
9. What are you currently reading? Lord John and the Hands of Devils
10. What is the last book you bought? The Goose Girl
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? More like 10 or so
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read?Bed, couch. Can’t fall asleep without reading at least a paragraph
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? I love all books
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Let’s see, so many, David Eddings, Charline Harris, Carole Nelson Douglas
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Organize? If anything, by what’s read, what I like to read over and over, and what’s still to be read.

message 45: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments Came across this at another forum, thought it would be fun to try here. :-)

I do not however I read anytime that I can- ie lunch in a queue etc.. so sometimes I am eating when reading but I do not specificaaly snack whn I read. If I am eating something messy then I do not read.

Ias above I don't specifically need to have a ddrink with me to read but my addiction is coke. a can

You should never write on books- though I had/did when they were my study books -as that was expected

No way- i like having pristine books or at least leave them how I got them. i use a bookmark if I have one nearby or piece of paper. if nothing lie that available I shit it and have to fin the page when time to read.

I go for fiction though on occaasion read biographies

If I was reading at home tehn i would ffinsih at the end of a chapter, same if on a break at work. however if I was reading while in a queue or waiting for someone I would stop reading when it was my turn to do what ever been waiting ofor no matter what.

No way that would damage the book.
I am more likely to talk outloadf how irritating or riduclaous that particular part was

No, I find that usually from the sentence you knpw what it means

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Last book bought was Noone left to tell by Karen Rose

Tend to be one at a time though if reading a biograhy I read it over a course of time in bits so at that point it would be 2

No anytime anywhere. Reading in my room though is the best as can fdo it in peace

both

no

boxes and shelf for Read and shelves and boxes for unread

message 46: by David (last edited Jan 29, 2012 06:05AM) (new)

David | 11 comments Whoever inherits my library will gain a lot of insight into my life, as I never read without a pencil in hand. Yes, I'm one of "those" who mark in books. I underline well-written sentences or passages that I admire or make me think, or that seem signifiant to a novel's themes or a non-fiction author's case. I keep a record on the title page of passages I've underlined, grouped by theme as appropriate. I also note connections I see to other books I've read, and I note the date I finished a book on the back cover. My marks and notes help me to understand a book, or simply appreciate examples of great writing. It's a way for me to interact with the book.

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
-Nope
-Genmaicha or coffee
-It absolutely scares me to death. If there's something I really admire, I insert a sticky note.
-Bookmark
-Both
-I tend to read to the end of a chapter but since I ride the bus to and from work I often stop anywhere.
-I'll just stop reading instead of throwing the actual book.
-Yes.
-Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
-At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
-If I find something much more interesting than what I'm currently reading I'll stop where I was reading in the current one, read the new one in its entirety, then go back to the one I was previously reading.
-I love reading on trains. Anytime.
-Stand-alones. But there are some series I like. Most of them are guilty pleasures haha
-The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera and Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Or anything by either of these two. They're my favorite and lesser known usually than other novelists.
-I just moved so there is no organization whatsoever. But when the time comes, I think it's going to be autobiographical like John Cusack's characters record collection in High Fidelity.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes. My preferred snack is chips of one kind or another, but quite often I'll eat a piece of fruit instead. :)

Tea or coffee.

The idea of writing in my books horrifies me, but I do, however, keep a journal filled with favourite quotes or observations from my current read.

Bookmark. If I won't be long, I lay the book open until I get back.

Any and everything.

I HAVE to read until I hit a break in the text. I find it really difficult to stop in the middle of something.

No. I will close it forcefully though, if I disagree with the author.

Yes. Definitely.

"Doctor Zhivago" by Boris Pasternak.

I bought a bundle of six at the Discount Shelf in Chapters. :) All six of them (hardcovers included) only cost me $15.00!

More than one. I typically have three books on the go.

In the car. I also really like to read just before bed.

Both.

I really like Maeve Binchy for a comfort read, James Patterson for a fast-paced one, and Khaled Hosseini. All of Hosseini's books are fantastic.

Author's last name and genre.