You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > New format for monthly group reads

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments The New Year brings with it a new format for our group reads. We will be offering the choice of topic rather than choice of individual books. What better way to read one of those books already sitting on your shelf gathering dust or pick up that book you've been wanting to read at the library? There's only one catch,.... you will need to tell the group how it relates to the monthly chosen topic. But we're thinking this will be the funnest part, because there are no rules and we look forward to our members creative associations!

Oh, a couple more things.
*There will be questions listed each month to encourage sharing about your book. After all, Jenny began this group with the idea of securing recommendations and that will continue to be the primary purpose of this group.
*There may be some fun along the way, too.
*Once the topic is selected, you may pick a book from any genre, non-fiction, fiction, etc. along as you can make a connection between the topic chosen for that month.
*Happy reading!

If you have any questions or comments regarding the upcoming change, please post your comment.

So, now is the time to vote for January's topic. Click on the link below and place your vote!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/56...

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47204 comments I love the themes you've come up with! Good job. :)

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Thanks, Janice! I hope we can have a lot of fun with it. :)

message 4: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I like this idea :-)

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Susan wrote: "I like this idea :-)"

I love your enthusiasm, Susan!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Anything that whittles Mt TBR is a good thing, and this looks like a lot of fun! Thank you!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments I had a hunch you would like it, Cheryl. I'm glad you do!

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah_337) | 22 comments I love this idea especially because there's no library around here and I can't afford to buy books full price so I can pick one from the mess of fiction cluttering up my bedroom.

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Hannah wrote: "I love this idea especially because there's no library around here and I can't afford to buy books full price so I can pick one from the mess of fiction cluttering up my bedroom."

My sympathy on the lack of a library - how far is the nearest one?

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah_337) | 22 comments Alison wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I love this idea especially because there's no library around here and I can't afford to buy books full price so I can pick one from the mess of fiction cluttering up my bedroom."

M..."

7 miles, no bus and I don't have a car. There was one 2 miles away from me but they closed it.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Hannah wrote: "Alison wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I love this idea especially because there's no library around here and I can't afford to buy books full price so I can pick one from the mess of fiction cluttering up ..."
Terrible - is this a victim of the recent UK cuts?

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah_337) | 22 comments Alison wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Alison wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I love this idea especially because there's no library around here and I can't afford to buy books full price so I can pick one from the mess of fiction..."

Yeah, its been under threat of closure for the best part of ten years and its finally given in.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Condolences, Hannah, I can't imagine not having a library available. However, I'm glad you have a nice stack of books to choose from and that this format works for you.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Oh gosh Hannah, I'm so sorry to hear that. I would think public transportation would be better organized in the UK.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47204 comments I can see how the new format will work better for your situation, Hannah.

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana | 23 comments I love the new format and the themes... but ok, "Roughin'it" has won the theme for january? Does that mean you choose a book, like from the suspense/ triller category, where there's some action going on? :-))
I really love this club, but I don't really have fully understood the idea yet. :-)

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Thanks, Diana, I'm glad you are excited about the changes.

There are only two rules regarding the new format (that I can think of,anyway). :) The first is that the book comes from your TBR and that isn't even a big deal because it would just need to be a book that was on your TBR before the monthly read began. Secondly, in regards to "Roughin' it" --- the interpretation is 100% up to you, there is no right or wrong. You determine the connection between the book and theme and post what that is once you have read the book. The themes are purposely general and with the idea that they can be manipulated to fit a lot of ideas. For example, with "Roughin' it" a few of the possibilities would include reading a wilderness memoir, fiction set in less habit-able circumstances, pioneer history, memoirs and fiction, camping stories....these would be literal connections to the theme. On the other hand, (my favorite) you could use your creativity and make a connection such as if you had a book who had a character with the nickname "Rough" or an author with the last name of "Ruffin", in either case, you could say that you were "Roughin it". We're not picky. Phonetic likeness is perfectly acceptable. There is no problem with puns either (I'm sure you've seen me use more than a few bad ones in my posts!). Just have fun with it, use a book from your TBR and let everyone know what the connection is to the theme and though optional, we'd like to see more reviews/recommendations. Does this help? If not, let me know. :-)

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana | 23 comments It does and I want to participate! But I actually to do not have a TBR shelf on goodreads, but I will use the themes to search through my tens of unread books in my shelves... my real shelves :-) And for this particular theme, I think I'll use the literal meaning of "rough", because I was planning to read a suspense novel and I want to participate in the discussions!
I think this kind of challenges are great, since you get to find out more about other books... but I really did loved the way this group chose monthly reads, based on particular reads...
Will this disappear altogether...? :-)
Thank you! You have been really helpful :-)

message 19: by Judy (last edited Nov 21, 2011 04:58AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Diana wrote: "It does and I want to participate! But I actually to do not have a TBR shelf on goodreads, but I will use the themes to search through my tens of unread books in my shelves... my real shelves :-) A..."

If there is a lot of interest in continuing the old format we may be able to continue it as a "side read". (I haven't discussed this with Janice yet.) It would be good to have an idea of how much interest there would be, because it seemed like there were fewer and fewer participants each month, hence the new format which allows everyone to read something like and therefore, participate.

Just a thought, I thought about including a "side read" in order to read through classics. It seems so many people have them on their shelf, but sometimes it takes reading them with someone else to get started reading them.

What is it that you like most about the old format, Diana? Is it the reading the book together, the book itself?

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana | 23 comments Good that you have brought this up!
For one, I really liked that the moderators participated actively in the discussion and tried to revive it, whenever it became stale. I like the themes.
But, I think it is problematic for some, to choose books with 500+ pages and to read them in a one-month span. Not that it is impossible, but most people have jobs or go to school and so on and I am guessing you are too :-)
If you are going with the idea of of side-reads, which I really think is awesome, why not divide the books in weekly chunks, like 100 pages per week, so that it is easier to keep up with the pace?
For example, we pick up "Anna Karenina", we divide it in chunks for each week, announcing it a 3-4 weeks in advance and we move on each week with more chapters and questions, maybe some historical background, something about the author and so on....
And I really like the monthly book, because it is nice to discuss a specific book with people. To see what everyone thinks, to get more input on the novel you have read. That's why I love GR. :-)
Think about it :-) I would love to help out with anything concercing this group! So, if it needed, contact me :-)

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments I agree with you about the long books. Your idea of dividing it up into weekly reads is what I had in mind. There wouldn't be a problem with allowing up to 6 weeks for long books. My experience is that if it goes longer people drop out - it can be tricky gauging how long to allow. Well, let's put it out there for discussion....

I think doing both classic and the old format is too much. Personally, my preference is the classic format.

Oh, one other idea, buddy reads....A folder for members to connect for buddy reads and post their thoughts as they read.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Judy:"Oh, one other idea, buddy reads....A folder for members to connect for buddy reads and post their thoughts as they read. "

Great idea.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Anne wrote: "Judy:"Oh, one other idea, buddy reads....A folder for members to connect for buddy reads and post their thoughts as they read. "

Great idea."

Thanks, Anne, that is one of my favorites, too. I can see it as a workable option to the old monthly format because there isn't always a lot of people wanting to read the same book. This allows for small groups to read what they want, when they want.

Diana, I wanted to say thank-you for your enthusiasm and willingness to help. :)

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana | 23 comments You're most welcome.
Unfortunately, not many people tend to read anymore, so I do what I can to be around people to discuss certain books with :-)

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Bearing in mind that not all classics are long.... I like all these ideas - but every time it will just depend on the book. I liked the idea of monthly reads but they just haven't been books I've been interested in. I guess what I'm saying is that whatever you try, I'll try to participate in.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Bearing in mind that not all classics are long.... I like all these ideas - but every time it will just depend on the book. I liked the idea of monthly reads but they just haven't been books I've..."

Thanks for your input, Cheryl. I guess one thing that I have in the back of my mind, is that monthly reads like we had before can be found in most groups, the classics are found in a few groups. I like the idea of classics more because they give a nice contrast to the theme-based read. Of course, someone can choose a classic, but my guess is that most people will choose books that are more recent. Also, on Cecily's biblioguilt thread, Classics were mentioned the most as the books that people know they should read but haven't. Any thoughts?

message 27: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Late comment but I think this is a fantastic idea - otherwise my TBR just keeps ballooning!

And sometimes I really don't want to do 'monthly reads' in the old format because the book doesn't get my attention, so being able to pick one of my own books for a theme is much more enticing.

message 28: by Cheryl (last edited Nov 22, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I do have a couple of shortish classicish books, owned, on Mt. TBR. I think it'd probably be best if I just start a thread for a buddy read when I'm about ready to pick one up....

Meanwhile, are we just doing the Toppler for Dec, and then moving on to Roughin' It for Jan? I've no idea what to do for that theme - it'll take some thinking. However, I do recommend Roughing It for anyone who wants to be literal. It was a good book and not too difficult (though there were a few bits I kinda skimmed cuz the slang or the historical detail were too obscure).

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) What would we do without imagination and poetic justice? "Roughing It" could be:

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (girl lost in the woods)

The Cove (investigation in an island setting)

False Memory (psychologic terror)

The Gold Coast (wealth and power)

message 30: by Judy (last edited Nov 23, 2011 04:41AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Kim wrote: "What would we do without imagination and poetic justice? "Roughing It" could be:

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (girl lost in the woods)

The Cove (investigation in an ..."

Good choices, Kim! You have the idea. :-)

@Cheryl We are proceeding as scheduled. There aren't plans to scrap what we've started (unless everybody absolutely hates the new format). What we've suggested as far as buddy reads, the old format would be side reads in addition to the new format. As far as side reads, I don't see starting those until next year. I'm sure everyone will be extra busy over the next month. I think we'll table this discussion until after we've had a month with the new monthly format and then everybody can discuss what they thought, etc.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) sounds good!

message 32: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Yeah...too bad I can't read them all in one month!

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47204 comments Just for edification, December's group read is Becoming Jane Eyre. January's is based on the theme "Roughing It" - a book chosen from your TBR that fits the theme as you interpret it. Examples are Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole or They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?.

I think everyone has valid points. I suggest that we try the new format and see how people respond to it. Maybe we could throw in the occasional "group read" just to keep a good variety going. Ultimately, Judy has the final say since she's running that portion of the group.

I like the idea of buddy reads. We have a thread called "Random Book Discussions" and I'll change the name to "Buddy Reads". People can ask others to join them in reading a specific book and discuss it there.

message 34: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Janice, agreed.

I've read Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole and it would fit the literal application of Roughin' it" on many fronts. Is this the book you are considering reading in January?

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Sounds good! What we can do for buddy reads is, if a member is looking for a buddy, post a poll: "is anyone up for reading...?" If more than one says yes, than you can make it a mini group read amongst those that answered.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47204 comments Kim wrote: "Sounds good! What we can do for buddy reads is, if a member is looking for a buddy, post a poll: "is anyone up for reading...?" If more than one says yes, than you can make it a mini group read am..."

Let's keep it simple. If anyone is looking for a buddy, start a thread in Buddy Reads and say, "Looking for a buddy to read name of book, please sign up below. Use the same thread for the ensuing discussion.

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Ok. I've been in other groups where we did that and maybe there were just too many going on at one time, that an announcement would be missed.

message 38: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Kim, where we have a set location, everyone will know where to look to find someone to read with. The problem with sending out polls is that if the buddy read became a popular item, YLTO members will get inundated with group e-mails. Also, mods are the only ones who can send out polls and that could become quite a job for us.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Love your enthusiasm for improving the group!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Honenberger (sarahhonenberger) | 1 comments Judy wrote: "Kim wrote: "What would we do without imagination and poetic justice? "Roughing It" could be:

As an author with deadlines and also as an avid reader, I love the TBR theme idea. Members will report in more depth in order to explain the link to the theme, giving more information for the rest of us to decide if we want to read that book. The more sorting I can do through more detailed recommendations here, the more time I have to actually read. How I love books.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47204 comments Welcome Sarah. We are looking forward to our new monthly read format. We are hoping that we will get more participation if people are able to read a book of their choice rather than an "assigned" book.

message 41: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Where are we putting our choice of book? Gypsy Princess by Violet Cannon will it go in the challenge section and be in the beta thingy?

message 42: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments The beta-thingy is optional. The new format won't begin until January 1st. I'll wait to open up a thread for it until then. When the thread is open, you can post it there. :-)

message 43: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Coolio

message 44: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 121 comments I like the idea of the winter theme for December. I've already done some winter stuff.

Eight Below - a movie which is excellent. I'm not sure if it's a book - guess I oughta look.

The Tenderness of Wolves - which I didn't finish - got halfway through and kept asking myself 'WhereIsThisThingGoing' and put it in the 'out box' for return to the library.

The Call of the Wild - Jack London - didn't finish it yet, but I'm sure I will.

Winterdance - Gary Paulsen - oh, man! Don't miss that one - if you love stuff about the Iditarod and snow dogs, you'll love that book. I think I did it in September/October.

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47204 comments You have time to finish Jack London's book (if you started it in December) and include it in the Winter Challenge.

message 46: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Anadelle wrote: "I liked reading one book together with this community :( Oh well, times change."

Me too, but I can understand if it was becoming difficult to get something every one wanted to read and had much to say about.