Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) Wicked question

Is it worth it to read the rest of the wicked books?
Miranda  Knowles Miranda Nov 06, 2011 07:24AM
I've heard that Wicked is a really good book. I just found out that there are 3 more in the series. Is it worth it to read all 4?

I read Wicked because I heard it was great. Then it was excruciating to read. I didn't understand why I disliked it so much but when I posted to Facebook, many others who I consider good readers agreed that it wasn't good. If it's the best in the series, I can't image the others are worth it.

I read Wicked and Confessions of an ugly stepsister and both were good!

I have read all 4, because I loved "Wicked" so much. I liked "Son of a Witch" even better, but found "A Lion Among Men" a little harder to get through, though it did tie together some important details. Just finished "Out of Oz" and liked that it brought the entire story well to a close.

Kimberly Wilcox I liked Son of a Witch, but I also had issues with Lion Among Men. It didn't seem to progress the story much. I have Out of Oz on my Too Read list but ...more
Feb 05, 2013 09:24AM

I have not finished very few books... Be it the OCD or just my love of reading it kills me not to finish a book... finishing this book NEARLY killed me... LOVE THE MUSICAL ... the book was excruciating! The concept BRILLIANT! the execution... was LACKING

Well, read the first one and see what you think. If you don't feel like reading the rest, it holds up wonderfully by itself. If you want to read more, however, go for it.

I really liked the first one but never made it through the 2nd...

I actually liked the second one better. I haven't read the rest, yet, but I do have them.

I like the idea of these books, but they all are a slow read. i actually did not finish the last two.

One of the few books I just couldn't force myself to finish. I hated it.

I've read Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men, and my opinion is that the books get steadily less interesting.

But I think it all depends on where it's going, where it ends up. A good ending could make it all worth it, as is the case for any series.

This is generally why I don't read series.
Wicked just sucked me in early.

In my personal opinion......I think it's worth reading the rest of the books in the series. I read Son Of A Witch and loved it....for me it's pretty cool for Elphaba's story to keep going after she's dead....and also reading the rest of the series helps you see the first book from different characters points of view. It helps you understand it more.

I haven't read the third and fourth. Bought the third, and its on my list. I am hoping its ok. I liked the first one a lot, but the second really fell flat.

I liked the first one, really liked the second one, can't even really remember the third one, and have yet to read the fourth one. I did pick it up, and look forward to reading it, I just have other things I wanted to read more...

I have read all the books, and loved them all!

I read the first one after I saw the musical and both were fantastic. I later continured to read the second, So of a Witch, and although there were parts that were okay, a lot was slow and very boring. The third, A Lion Among Men, was the same way, but I would definately suggest Lion faster than I would Son

Gregory Maguire uses a gimmick, i.e., someone else creates the story universe, and Maguire re-imagines it. But the initial lack of imagination ends there, as his books are extremely imaginative. Personally, i think the gimmick works great and has led to interesting books. Yes, you should read all of the Wicked series and all of his other stuff too, except "The Next Queen of Heaven" which i cannot recommend.

I haven't read the third and fourth. Bought the third, and its on my list. I am hoping its ok. I liked the first one a lot, but the second really fell flat.

I found Wicked extremely painful to read. I had it recommended to me by a very dear friend, whose reading tastes are usually beyond question. However, with this one it was from the mark. At first I thought it may have been because I was not used to this style of writing, so went away and read some others written in the same style, Hilda the wicked Witch and Hilda, Snow White Revisited by Paul Kater, and found these 2 to be highly amusing. It also made it clear that it was not the writing style of Wicked I found problematic.

In my opinion, and I agree you should read it yourself to see what you think, the book was written in a very monotone style and did not spark my inner voice into life at all as is the norm with most novels I read.

If you want to you should, they bring further detail to a lot of the things only briefly mentioned in Wicked. They are very lengthy and words though.

I have read the first 3 in the Wicked series and I loved them. Am looking forward to the release of the 4th as I really wanna know how the series ends. I did find the first half of 'Wicked' quite tough going but once we actually got through it, I loved it. I recommend that you read the others as you might surprise yourself.

Wordy, sorry about that.

I read Wicked and loved it. It was exciting to read an alternative view to an age old story. I also read Son of a Witch but I feel it fell short of the standard Wicked set. I am busy reading A Lion Among Men and its boring but I feel I have to finish a book I start - I've been at it in small intervals for almost a year!!!

Try some of his others. True Confessions of an Ugly StepSister was good. I currently am reading Mirror Mirror and having trouble sticking with it.

I liked the first one but I hated the second and refused to read any more in the series after that. I would have been content with just reading Wicked as a standalone novel as opposed to thinking of it as a series.

No. I hated that book. I have no desire to read anymore of those books at all, because I struggled to get through Wicked. But, I agree with Katie, it's best to just read the first and see if you like it. You may love them.

Loved Wicked, Son of a Witch was ok, Lion Among Men was difficult to finish as was Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It's hard to tell if you will like a series based on others experience in reading because tastes vary so much. We can tell you that we liked or didn't like something, but ultimately, you need to read the book to determine how you feel about it.

I really enjoyed Wicked. I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed Son of a Witch to a slightly lesser degree. I didn't, however, enjoy A Lion Among Men. It felt rather pointless to the series so I didn't even bother to finish it.

I LOVED the first, I mean yes it is slow at first but I thought that it was really good but for those who saw the play then are expecting the book to be just like that will be greatly disappointed. I read the second one and it was okay and I have bought the third and fourth and I can't wait to read either

I've read all of them and i definitely think it's worth reading more than the 1st book. Sure,the 2nd book's story lags a just little with Liir's aimless wandering, but by the end of book 2 it starts to get fairly interesting again and book 3 makes up for it by going into Yackle's & The Cowardly Lion's story (I'd been wondering alot after book one what Yackle's history was and how she tied into it all)

I liked the first book quite a bit. But I did read it before seeing the musical. I bought the second book and just couldn't get through it, it was pretty rough. So I have no intentions of reading anymore of the Wicked books. Book one was enough for me.

Ally wrote: "I've heard that Wicked is a really good book. I just found out that there are 3 more in the series. Is it worth it to read all 4?"

I loved Wicked and I enjoyed Son of a Witch, but not as much as Wicked. Now I am almost done with A Lion Among Men (the 3rd book), and I was so board I almost put it down, but I made myself continue because I came this far, I was afraid I would miss something. I'm glad I did! Now, half way through the book it got interesting. lol

Bottom line: I enjoyed all three, but the 3rd was slow starting.

I just found out the 4th (and final) book was released a few weeks ago and it's supposed to be very good. The title is Out of Oz.

Ally wrote: "I've heard that Wicked is a really good book. I just found out that there are 3 more in the series. Is it worth it to read all 4?"

Yes, It took me awhile to get through the 1st book but I loved them. I am getting ready to start the last book in the series.

I liked Wicked, Son of a Witch, and A Lion Among Men. I loved the musical! Did the fourth book just come out?

Wicked is a great book but I couldn't force myself through the rest of them. I think what we have here is an example of an author with one really, really good story to tell. but, you know, just the one.

Wicked is a good stand-alone book and does a lot of personal preferences towards current events in the Wizard of Oz Storyline. It was a good read if the material is relative to you in the first place. A lot of Anarchists, Activists, and Special Interest Enthusiasts loved this book.

The second was good too but not as good as the first and the third book was a slow read but that was all me. I got Out of Oz and hope it picks up since A Lion Among Men was kind of disappointing compared to its previous novels.

Wicked was awesome. Son of a Witch was great. Lion Among men was bland, but it did fill in some story gaps. I just bought Out of Oz and haven't started it yet. As a series, I love it.

His style of writing is not my favorite. I liked Wicked, but thought there were too many loose ends that never got tied and that bothers me. I don't mind ambiguious endings that leave the reader to wonder, but there are some pretty important factors that never got adressed. I really liked Son of Witch(#2) better than Wicked. A Lion Among Men was good, but not as good as the second one. I haven't read the last one yet. One thing I do love is the way he brought the world of Oz to life and shed a different light on the life of Elphaba. However, I think the characther development was lacking.

YEES!

I read Wicked and loved it, I then read Son of a Witch and thought it was boring and struggled to finish it. I have begun to read A Lion Among Men and so far it is much better than Son of a Witch.

I have to agree, Wicked wasn't my favorite ever, but compared to Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men, both of which I've read, Wicked was much better. At least, it was more interesting. I intend to read Out of Oz, and I'm hoping it's better than the second and third in that series.

Wicked is in my top 5 favorite books of all time. I've read it twice and listen to the audio book every now and then. When Son of a Witch came out, I was hoping to fall in love with it in the same way, and while I still enjoyed it, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I personally thought A Lion Among Men was a little better, but still didn't quite capture me the same way that Wicked did. But let me tell you, Out of Oz brought me back! I couldn't put it down, but at the same time, I wanted to slow down so that I wouldn't reach the end so quickly! So if you fall in love with Wicked, I definitely recommend getting through the next two books so that you can read the fourth one.

havent seen the musical yet... need to get on that... the first chapter nearly KILLED ME!!!! didnt know what the heck was going on. but after the first chapter in the first book i was hooked... loved wicked really enjoyed son of a witch... lion among men was ok not my favorite and im currently reading out of oz. kinda sad it is going to end :(
His other books are enchanting as well. mirror mirror the ugly step sister etc etc.. havent read all of his but im working on it. Loved the wicked series so far though. Nice twist to the fairy tales etc.. makes it fun!

Wicked was definitely the best, IMO - if you consider the best to be an easy, entertaining read. A Lion Among Men was way different. It was harder to read, but a good read for sure. It made me think more. I have read all of his book with the exception of a couple - which I intend to read. Each book is slightly more intense, deeper...and I think they each can stand alone.

I guess my aside to that would be that Son of a Witch was not one of my favorites.

I liked Wicked. The premise is terrific. I've read the other three and he's just trying too hard. I wanted to like them but just couldn't do it.

I read the first three and i'm really close to finishing the fourth. I agree that it's good as a stand alone, but I don't feel like reading the other three was a waste of time. I'm one of those people who HAVE to finish things once they've started lol.

Joey Omg! I'm exactly the same way lol ...more
Dec 08, 2015 01:47PM · flag