Time Travel discussion

Time Travel Books > Books with unexpected time-travel elements

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Missjulied (new)

Missjulied I wanted to post about a book I just read that had an unexpected time-travel element, but I couldn't find a good place for it - so I thought it could be a fun new topic!

The book I just read is "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". I'm pretty sure it's YA, though I didn't know that when I bought it. It's still quite enjoyable for an adult.

Past the halfway point of the book a time-travel element is introduced that was a new concept to me. You guys should check it out!

message 2: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I have had that book on my radar simply because I love the title. Now that I know it has time travel, I will have to check it out for sure. Feel free to nominate it for our next group book club selection if you would like. Just look for the discussion thread under the heading "book club nominations."

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison Kraft (allisonkraft) | 15 comments I read that one a few weeks ago myself, and thought it was an interesting twist to time travel, too. It started out promising, though I have to admit the later half of the book kind of disappointed me. I'm on the fence about reading the next in the series when it comes out.

message 4: by Tej (last edited Nov 05, 2011 03:03PM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
I read a sample of this book on my Kindle but didnt purchase it in the end. But like the rest of you, I will now. Thanks for the post Missjulied

There lies a problem of recommending books of this nature without giving away any plot twists. As sometimes the themes that are of interest may be the twist to the story. There is actually a movie that I want to mention in the TT movie section that has a major TT twist. Its catch 22 for me because I really want others to see it because it a very nice film. See, if I mention it, I've spoiled the twist but if I dont mention it, I know not many people wont see it because it is actually chinese film.

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Volz (starbreaker) | 10 comments I always liked the sudden time travel plot in Harry otter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

message 6: by Tej (last edited Feb 02, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Just remembered another book that I read 22-23 years ago. I needed help to identify what the book was from the "what's that book called???" GR Group. Its a supernatural story told from the perspective of a female ghost who is trying to find out who she is and how she has come to be a ghost. It involved time travel as a plot turn. I rather would not have said so but at least its not the only plot revelation. It was a unique story and I remember enjoying it a great deal. Its called:

The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones The Time of the Ghost

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 870 comments That does look interesting. I avoid horror - but then again The Mirror was supposed to be horror and I didn't find it too intense. Do you happen to recall whether squeamish people could enjoy Jones' story?

message 8: by Tej (new)

I dont recall any real horror, Cheryl. I think it was fairly squeem free :)

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 870 comments Tx!

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise | 19 comments I just finished reading Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and I thought it had a unique approach to time-travel.

message 11: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Tyler wrote: "I always liked the sudden time travel plot in Harry otter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Me too. That was my favorite Potter book.

message 12: by Tej (new)

E.B. wrote: "Tyler wrote: "I always liked the sudden time travel plot in Harry otter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Me too. That was my favorite Potter book."

Mine too. The time travel was so unexpected and so good that it features often in a top ten time travel book list even though its synopsis hints nothing about it.

message 13: by Tej (last edited Jul 05, 2013 04:22PM) (new)

Harv wrote: "Well, if a time travel book can't surprise you, what good is it?

Reading Paul Sherman's AN EXTENDED JOURNEY. (view spoiler)

Sadie Forsythe's THE WEEPING EMPRESS surprised me (view spoiler)

E.B. Brown's THE LEGEND OF THE BLOODSTONE surprised me when E.B made me believe (view spoiler)

Connie Willis's DOOMSDAY BOOK surprised me with a messy plot of sick & dying characters both in the past and in the future, the way I found myself really caring about the characters so much that this is my new favorite time travel novel.

Surprise me with the unexpected if you want me for a reader.

@hg47

Oh man, I gave you too much Jack Daniels on the rocks didnt I? :) You've gven spoilers to at least 2 books! I had to delete your post but I requote you with spoilers hidden.

Harv, I like the elements that surprised you in the time travel books you mentioned but we're talking about books that do not suggest any time travel in their synopsis or marketing but upon reading throws a surprise time travel element. Most popular one being Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban. Not only was it a surprise but it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable time travel sub plots than many fully fledged time travel novels. Certainly would appear in my top ten time travel novels.

Hey, what on earth are you doing with that whole bottle of JD? And watch that porcelain vase on your right...sigh, you'll find the dustpan and brush in the cupboard...200 years old Qing dynasty, that was...

message 14: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin | 66 comments Thanks, Tej!

This is so cool. Wake up hungover with no memory of having made any posts, to find you have left an awesome post and given me credit for it! Thanks again. @hg47

PS - Couldn't find my pants, so I wore one of your dresses home. Hope you don't mind.

message 15: by E.B. (new)

E.B. Brown (ebbrown) | 320 comments Oh, my Harv, posting while tipsy, hmmm? What on earth will we do with you?!!!

..wait a second... missing pants? Tej in dresses? If it's a kilt, then count me in. Pictures, please. Your words mean nothing!!!!!!!!!

message 17: by Superior Ven A. (new)

Superior Ven A. Cava (superiorcva) | 10 comments I just wanted to come on here to thank Missjulied for mentioning Peculiar Children because the time travel aspect was a pretty interesting surprise in the book and also it was a good read. ;>