Stephen King Fans discussion

Cycle of the Werewolf
This topic is about Cycle of the Werewolf
Talk about the Novels > Cycle of the Werewolf

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Discuss Cycle of the Werewolf here..

Andrea (serialreader13) Has anyone else read this??? I read it today and I LOVE it. I think this book is like a children's book on crack. Haha The illustrations definitely helped make the book so good too.

Gatorman | 561 comments Agreed. I read it over two days at lunch at a B&N. The pictures were a plus.

message 4: by Kit★ (new) - added it

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments It's been over a year since I read it last, but it's a good one :)

Andrea (serialreader13) I just like how King writes these lengthy very detailed stories and yet he can also write a vague little detail story and still scare the crap out of me. This is why he's my favorite author....beyond versatile.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I enjoyed this back when it came out though I predicted too much too soon.

Steve | 246 comments It was an enjoyable quickie; I read it eons ago so I dont remember much. The movie "Silver Bullet" is often derided but I think it is a welldone flick (it stars Megan Follows of PBS ' Anne of Green Gables as well as Gary busey)

message 8: by Erica (last edited Nov 13, 2011 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments Love both the book and the movie! Gary Busey rocked!

message 9: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments The first edition hardback of the book was a very small run, only 7500 copies. It's very collectible.

Kandice | 3915 comments Matthewcross87 wrote: "just ordered this on amazon its 160 pages or so , why is it so expensive i payed £10 , but some crazy people think and some ones going to pay £150 for it people are trying get £450 on ebay"

Part of the expense must be Bernie Wrightson's artwork. He's brilliant and was in great demand in his day.

Kandice | 3915 comments King wrote this with the intention of making a calendar for charity. Each month was to have an illustration and a paragraph or two of text. King, having the diarrhea of the pen we all enjoy so much, got a bit carried away!

mrbooks | 1469 comments We hear you Mathew, but if it was done for charity then they would have the price high enough to cover cost and raise a decent sum for the chosen charity. Does anyone know what charity it was done for?

Kandice | 3915 comments It was 1984, but I'm not sure of the charity. I'll see what I can find.

message 14: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe | 10 comments Why can't I get this book on my nook?

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments I bought this not too long ago. I managed to find a used copy for 11$ on amazon. so I won't be re-reading it with y'all but i'll join in on the conversation. silver bullet and the howling movie scared me to death when I was young. those 2 movies are responsible for my fear of werewolves. that being said, I found the illustrations terrifying! I hope everyone can find it and enjoys it.

mrbooks | 1469 comments The copy I have is a Signet special paperback with illustrations in black and white and in color. It has both the cycle of the werewolf and his complete silver bullet screen play to include black and white still photo's from the movie. Printed in 1985.

Illustrations are done by Bernie Wrightson.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 958 comments I checked Amazon and couldn't find it. I don't know what happened to my copy. Very sad.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Allarid (lillisa) Absolutely loved this book! It was a fun read and I enjoyed the illustrations too.

Catherine (yarnmama10) | 89 comments Recently borrowed it from the library and read it in a couple evenings. I remember reading it when it first came out, whenever the library got it anyway. I didn't have much money to buy books in those days.

It's a fun, quick read. Loved the illustrations!

message 20: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments The book strikes me as a cross between a short story and an epic poem. King holds to the form so tightly and his descriptions are so lyrical that you'd almost expect it to rhyme. The illustrations are almost a counterpoint to the text and you have to think that King expected readers to look at the picture and draw their own conclusion before they read the words. Sometimes the pictures preview what is to come and they almost act as teasers. Still, it's a simple story but really well told. This is almost as unique as King's pop up book version of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but much more effective.

mrbooks | 1469 comments I just finished the Cycle of the werewolf and am part way through the screen play for Silver bullet. It is as good as I remembered it. I am going to finish Silver Bullet and go on to continue with the gun Slinger tomorrow with any luck.

message 22: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments mrbooks wrote: "I just finished the Cycle of the werewolf and am part way through the screen play for Silver bullet. It is as good as I remembered it. I am going to finish Silver Bullet and go on to continue with ..."

GOOD LUCK!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Not so much luck Nick as the necessary time I think I am giving up sleeping for the next week or so to keep up with the reading groups I have to also make time for the book that isn't a group or buddy related read.

hats OK though I will sleep after my son gets married next month, LOL if the boss lets me that is meaning lots of work to do on the house.

Alexandria Stokes (alistokes) | 3 comments I loveeed this! It felt as though it WAS meant for children in a way lol

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments Lol mine was 11$ used. I don't know the currency conversion for that.

Kandice | 3915 comments I'm happy to say I've had my copy since it was printed, so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I also have two more copies I found used at the library sales, so I am pretty lucky in that regard.

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments lol that's good!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Latasha wrote: "Lol mine was 11$ used. I don't know the currency conversion for that."

Latasha that would be approximately eight pounds at the current exchange rate of 1.36 to the pound.

mrbooks | 1469 comments I think I paid 7.99 when it first came out. and that's for the special edition.

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments Lol oh well. It could've been worse.

mrbooks | 1469 comments True

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments what will we be reading in October?

message 33: by Matt (new)

Matt Tandy | 193 comments Nick wrote: "The book strikes me as a cross between a short story and an epic poem. King holds to the form so tightly and his descriptions are so lyrical that you'd almost expect it to rhyme. The illustrations ..."

Originally Cycle Of The Werewolf was going to be a calendar, which explains the format. I've always liked it, and for some odd reason (maybe because I'm odd myself), I read it every year during my Christmas break. It's a good 1 or 2 session read.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Latasha wrote: "what will we be reading in October?"

I think it's Sleeping Beauties.

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments Ok thanks.

mrbooks | 1469 comments LOL I have two other group reads I am doing so I will skip this one.

Kandice | 3915 comments I'm super excited for Sleeping Beauties!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Let me know how it is, but watch out fro the 7 dwarves they are evil LOL.

Donna (dfree46) | 33 comments Donna Freeman I just started your club at the end of August so I read "ROADWORK" and "CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF" both and loved them. I then watched the movie "SILVER BULLET" that was the film version of "CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF" and really liked it too.
I don't know how I missed it before.
I just ordered "SLEEPING BEAUTIES" so I am ready for October.
In the mean time, I am re-reading the book "CARRIE" while listening to the audible version narrated by SISSY SPACEK who is awesome! Anyway, I am loving the club. Thanks for having me💕

mrbooks | 1469 comments No thank you for joining, Are you going to read the Dark Tower series, we started at the beginning of Sep and it is one book a month. If you like reading large books, try reading the Stand, it is an epic dystopian adventure and I think you will like it.

Latasha (latasha513) | 365 comments Donna wrote: "Donna Freeman I just started your club at the end of August so I read "ROADWORK" and "CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF" both and loved them. I then watched the movie "SILVER BULLET" that was the film version ..."

Glad to have you here Donna!

message 42: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments Donna wrote: "Donna Freeman I just started your club at the end of August so I read "ROADWORK" and "CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF" both and loved them. I then watched the movie "SILVER BULLET" that was the film version ..."

Glad you're here Donna. Looking forward to talking with you about "Sleeping Beauties".

message 43: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Crump | 29 comments I loved the story. Short and snappy, but totally absorbing.

It's refreshing to read something which shies away from feeling the need to make the story arc complex - less is more after all.

message 44: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Ian wrote: "I loved the story. Short and snappy, but totally absorbing.
I remember reading the cycle of the werewolves back in the 80’s. Considering at the time KINGS record of accomplishments—vampires (1976), Crazed Dogs (1981), man-eating cars (1983), and dead cats that come back to life (1983) —IT was just a matter of time before S.K addressed the subject of werewolves. Therefore, when S.K. says, “something inhuman has come to Tarker’s Mills”, you know he is not talking about a mild-mannered reporter. What follows was a tale using a whodunit format for the most part about a small town in Maine where one of the trusted citizen’s makes some munchies out of his neighbors when the moon is full. What I found interesting was that the evil entity was hiding behind their religion and using IT as a deception to kill you. Also, Unlike with S.K’s treatment of vampires in 'Salem's Lot, KING seems to have no interest in the werewolf lore. In the story, the werewolf appears without origin; the person who becomes the wolf is as much at a loss for explanation as we were. Only the basics of werewolf myth - full moons and silver bullets, etc were used.