Sirens Conference discussion

Introductions 2012!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Minli (new)

Minli | 3 comments Please use this thread to introduce yourself! Below are a few questions you can answer and post. You're welcome to share as little or as much as you like--I just figure people are more likely to talk about books if they know who they're talking to.

What you'd like to be called:

Occupation/school major:

Favorite book:

Favorite character:

Favorite author:

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend:

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge:

Sirens experience (if any):

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?:

3 things I think are exciting:

3 things that make me happy:

3 things that annoy me:

3 random things about me:

I'd also like to share:

message 2: by Shveta (new)

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) | 5 comments Because Minli asked. :)

What you'd like to be called: Shveta, pronounced "shwe-thah."

Occupation/school major: I am currently writing full time but have also worked as a proofreader/copy editor and will probably do that again.

Favorite book: Wayyy too many to list. The books that win my heart are unusual, deeply immersive, and inspiring. If they contain magic in some form, even better. Most of the books in my personal collection are fantastical in some way.

Favorite character: Anyone who is strong and multifaceted.

Favorite author: This is too hard to answer. I can't settle on a favorite anything. So anyone who writes beautifully and deeply and makes my heart dream of magic?

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: See above. How about most stories from around the world?

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: I've read a lot of these already, so maybe Book of a Thousand Days or The Palace of Illusions.

Sirens experience (if any): I've been to Faeries and Monsters and can't wait for Retold Stories!

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: The amazing Sherwood Smith. She posted about last year's theme, and I knew I needed to put together a panel--which of course meant being there.

3 things I think are exciting: Travel, the thought of seeing my own book on a store shelf one day, Sirens!

3 things that make me happy: Colors, creativity, and deliciously written books.

3 things that annoy me: People who assume everyone must share their worldview, prejudice/bigotry, and the TSA.

3 random things about me: I am decorating my kitchen in a cupcake theme, I love flavorful food, and if I had a superpower, it would be a magical pencil that could draw anything into existence.

I'd also like to share: I care very much about feminism and diversity in YA literature (especially fantasy!), so I'm currently working on the fourth draft of my own YA novel. It's based on South Asian mythology and folklore.

Oh, and speaking of retelling stories, here's one of mine: "Lavanya and Deepika"!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ambrose (JenniferWriter) | 11 comments What you'd like to be called: Jennifer Ambrose (As a member of the Jennifer Tribe, I feel compelled to include my last name!)

Occupation/school major: Freelance writer, adjunct Admissions reader, kickboxing instructor. I spend most of my time working on a YA novel!

Favorite book: The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Favorite character: Eilonwy from Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles

Favorite author: Kelly Link, Laini Taylor, Neil Gaiman, Terri Windling, and Catherynne Valente

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: Snow White, Rose Red

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: The Fox Woman and Horse, Flower, Bird

Sirens experience (if any): Faeries 2010 and Monsters 2011

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: From Moonrat's blog Editorial Ass

3 things I think are exciting: dramatic movie trailers, nightmares, first kisses

3 things that make me happy: talking to my sister, walking in the woods, full moons

3 things that annoy me: driving, people being thoughtless, the fact that candy is not "good" for you

3 random things about me: I'm a twin, I talk to trees, and writing funny, rhyming poetry is my secret talent

I'd also like to share: I'm a binge reader and I think talking about stories is at least as much fun as reading them!

message 4: by Minli (new)

Minli | 3 comments What you'd like to be called: I'm Minli, carefully guarding my identity on Goodreads though I'll tell you if I like you (or if you message me, ha). Minli is actually a character from Grace Lin's amazing Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, a middle-grade fantasy tying in many Chinese folktales.

Occupation/school major: publishing--though I majored in anthropology and loved it

Favorite book: this changes every few days. Right now it's Franny Billingsley's Chime and Melina Marchetta's Finnikin of the Rock

Favorite character: Kel from Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small books, Tiffany Aching, Matilda, Mary Smith from Cranford and Tdor from Sherwood Smith's Inda books

Favorite author: Laini Taylor could write a blender manual and I would read it

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: Tam Lin, Mulan, probably more as this year goes on--ask me next fall!

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: Kate Bernheimer's anthologies

Sirens experience (if any): attended warriors 2009, staff for faeries 2010 and monsters 2011

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: Sherwood Smith, a guest of honour in 2009, posted about it on her LJ. I knew I had to come when I saw that Tamora Pierce and Kristin Cashore were also guests!

3 things I think are exciting: bustling pedestrian streets, time travel, making a difference

3 things that make me happy: lively conversation, really delicious ethnic food, window seats

3 things that annoy me: traffic, corporate lobbyists, incompetence

3 random things about me: I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with competitive figure skating; when I'm playing bananagrams, I'm more focused on creating interesting words than speed; I almost didn't get my degree because I failed my swim test… luckily the proctor took pity on me and passed me anyway

I'd also like to share: I'm so lucky to live in a travel hub, I feel like most people pass through New York at some point or another. If any of you lovely Sirens people are in town, please don't hesitate to contact me--I love chatting about books!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina | 1 comments What you'd like to be called: Chris or Christina

Occupation/school major: high school science teacher

Favorite book: Le Petit Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Lips Touch:Three Times - Laini Taylor

Favorite character: Kel (Protector of the Small - Tamora Pierce)

Favorite authors: Tamora Pierce, Laini Taylor, Melina Marchetta

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: Little Red Riding Hood

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: In the Night Garden - Catherynne Valente

Sirens experience (if any): attended Fairies, staff for Monsters

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: during Warriors, Minli kept sending me random texts saying stuff like "I'm having lunch with Tamora Pierce and Sherwood Smith right now, what are YOU doing?"

3 things I think are exciting: traveling to new places, exotic food, museums

3 things that make me happy: new stationary/art supplies, when a student finally "gets it", seeing old friends (and/or friends who live far away)

3 things that annoy me: traffic, rude people, self-righteousness

3 random things about me: I knew how to swim before I knew how to walk; I have an odd fascination with the colour purple; though I KNOW how to count in English, I inevitably revert to French when I get passed the number 15 (and that's generous, sometimes it's 10)

I'd also like to share: I didn't start reading books in English until I was about 10 or 12, and at that point I jumped right into adult books and classics. So unless it was translated into French, odds are I hadn't read it. Because of this, for the past 5-7 years or so, I've been having fun discovering all those middle-grade/YA books that everyone's read... if you have any suggestions/favourites, bring 'em on!

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Nolan (monstrousfictions) What you'd like to be called: Katie

Occupation/school major: Production coordinator

Favorite author: Jane Austen and L.M. Montgomery. I love many authors, but these two women make me feel like I'm home.

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: There's this one Christmas fairytale I read once about a carpenter's son who fell in love with a princess and participated in a contest to win her hand, and the last challenge involved sewing her a dress, and he was helped by a bird that he had saved and he sewed the princess a simple, lovely dress. Not entirely sure why it's stuck with me, but it's always what I think of first.

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: I haven't even had a chance to really look at the list, sob!

Sirens experience (if any): All three years, each year more awesome.

3 random things about me: I compulsively make sound effects for pretty much everything I do. I have made muffins using Mountain Dew cans and a slow cooker. I enjoy being sloppy with the English language.

message 7: by thistle (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

thistle (tigrey) | 10 comments What you'd like to be called: "thistle" is fine, here

Location: if you're in the US's contiguous 48, probably west of you

Occupation/school major: I studied literature and currently work for a research library.

I am not good with shortlist-favorite anything :) but I'll say I've read enough of the Arthurian tradition (full millennium size) to have worn out my former liking for it!

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: Angela Carter's Bloody Chamber, which I've been meaning to read for ages. For me the list is split between the big chunk I've read and a chunk of mostly YA titles that I can't distinguish one from the next, so I look forward to learning more about the latter.

Sirens experience (if any): I reviewed a few books as part of the 2011 review squad. Here's hoping that I'll be able to attend in 2012!

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: I've helped out here and there.

3 things I think are exciting: time enough to read more than a few pages at a time, well documented code (the programming kind), old handwriting.

3 things that make me happy: tightly plied yarn, the moon over water, shades of grey.

3 things that annoy me: lack of follow-through, waste, when someone makes fun of an aspect of a culture.

3 random things about me: I'm trying to knit a cardigan for myself for the first time, baked pumpkin pie today, and buy Green & Black chocolate in bulk.

I'd also like to share: I used to consume books very rapidly; with a toddler around, I consume them very slowly. :P

message 8: by Emily (last edited Nov 03, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

Emily (skycornerless) | 1 comments What you'd like to be called: Emily

Occupation/school major: Publishing intern/bookseller

Favorite book: Hm. The books I'm currently most eager to reread are The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, and The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, so let's go with those.

Favorite character: I don't know! I'm super into the women of A Song of Ice and Fire, though - Arya and Sansa, Dany, the Sand Snakes! They're awesome.

Favorite author: I don't know that I really have a favorite author! Maybe Franny Billingsley or Erin Bow for right now.

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: Six Swans, Twelve Dancing Princesses, the frame story of 1001 Nights, Persephone, Pandora.

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me!

Sirens experience (if any): None, unless you count Minli pestering me to register. Which I finally have! I'm very excited for 2012. :)

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: Minli!

3 things I think are exciting: Publication day for an exciting new book, prospect of traveling, prospect of eating something delicious.

3 things that make me happy: Lazy weekend mornings full of sunshine, cats curled up next to me while I'm reading (as opposed to sitting on my chest and demanding I pet them instead of read), brainstorming story ideas with friends.

3 things that annoy me: Slow walkers, sinks piled full of dishes, the subway ride not being long enough for me to finish a chapter.

3 random things about me: At my parents' we have two pet sheep, Desmond & Chico; my favorite flavor of ice cream is Perry's Mint Ting-a-Ling; my rainy day comfort TV is the 2009 adaptation of Emma.

I'd also like to share: I've decided to regiment my to-read list so that every other book I read is a fairy tale book. I am maybe a little obsessed with fairy tale retellings, so this is the perfect time for me to join Sirens. I'm excited!!

message 9: by Guenevere (new)

Guenevere | 2 comments What you'd like to be called: Guenevere

Occupation/school major: Graduate student/assistant, getting my MAT English/Teacher of Students With Disabilities while working with a faculty member who loves YA lit as much as I do, and I moonlight on the weekends as concierge at an assisted living facility.

Favorite book: The book I have read and re-read most is Good Omens, and the last book I fell in love with is Sorta Like A Rock Star

Favorite character: Cecilia and Kate from Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. Alanna, from Song of the Lioness quartet; Ella, from Ella Enchanted; Alexia and Ivy of the Parasol Protectorate; Jessie of Into the Wild Nerd Yonder

Favorite author: You can't honestly expect me to choose. It's bad enough you asked me to pick a favorite character!

Favorite fairytale/myth/legend: I went through a phase where if it wasn't a fairytale retelling, I didn't want to read it. I blame my mother, for naming me after a legend. I love stories of Camelot (like A Squire's Tale by Gerald Morris), Sleeping Beauty, and Beauty and the Beast.

Book you're most looking forward to reading from the 2012 Sirens Reading Challenge: See all of my To-Read books :-D

Sirens experience (if any): Only secondhand, via Minli

And because we're curious, how did you find out about Sirens?: One of my best friends from high school is deeply involved, I've been secretly stalking Sirens through her posts for years.

3 things I think are exciting: dinner parties, new episodes of Castle, registering for next semester's classes

3 things that make me happy: tension tamer tea, ballroom dance class, being left alone long enough to read

3 things that annoy me: 1) people who pass on the right when they should use the left, as traffic law intended (especially when the left lane is a perfectly viable option) 2) when my lunch break is delayed 3) when buildings have the heat or air on at the wrong time of year resulting in the use of space heaters and fans, a general waste of electricity, and much discomfort.

3 random things about me: when I was 12 I loved purple lipstick, I now love plum hair dye, my mother chose the Welsh spelling of my name

I'd also like to share: Whenever I should be working on classwork, I end up on Goodreads... or reading novels on my Nook. Whoops.