The Reading Lamp discussion

Monthly Book Reads > November Group Read

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Ya! I'm going to go get my copy right now! Excited for this book, I hope it lives up to everyones hopes :)

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments My copy is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait!

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Im on page 62, so far I'm really into it! I love how its alternating between Ky and Cassie, It's really got me pulling for them at this point!

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Okay I just finished this already! I couldnt put it down! I'll wait to talk about it more later though, There are things I loved and things that bothered me but I did like it :)

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments At least we know it is compelling since you couldn't put it down. I will try and get it read this week.

message 6: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Don't hurry, sorry sometimes I read a book too fast :/

message 7: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I am the same way when I am in to a book. I am just trying to finish a couple of library books.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Let me know how you liked The Rose Garden, I have that on my to-read list

message 9: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I loved The Rose Garden, but I have yet to be disappointed by anything she has written. My only recommendation is to space the reading of her books far apart from one another because they are all similar in their setting and atmosphere.

message 10: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments Just finished my reread of Matched. Should be finished with Crossed by tomorrow or Friday!

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey I've only read one book by kearsley but I did really like it, I'll definitely read this one too! Hope you like crossed!

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I finished Crossed, but should we wait to discuss? Is anyone else reading it?

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Hmm I don't think anyone else is but there may be a few who are and just don't post a lot, honestly I think it's just us haha but maybe we should wait a few days hehe

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments Sounds good.

message 15: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Okay I think we're safe to talk about it now haha,, so what did you think? I get what a lot of people are saying about it being too long in the canyons and it was basically just about their feeling the whole time, but at the same time I still enjoyed it. Maybe because I had missed the characters and just enjoyed hearing their thoughts and feelings haha,, but to me it was more realistic for them to have been wandering around that long in the canyons cause who of us could find our way through something like that with no problems or hitches lol,, also lets see I didn't mind India really, I didn't fully ever trust her but she didn't seem bad just someone who had their own story and agenda. I kinda figured all along that Xander had something to do with the Rising, I think it was obvious, question is how much? A few times I was thinking Ky is the Pilot because most heroes don't walk around thinking they are heroes and Ky definitely don't think he's trying to save anybody but I'm thinking maybe he is, idk it's just how I felt or could just be wishful thinking because I like him,, I definitely do not trust the Rising completely, and who is the Enemy? I hate at the end they just seperated so fast and then Cassia went on back to the society and they just end it, it's like they fought so hard to be together and then just let it slip away so fast, and then at the very end she says she's meeting "him" and I think we are supposed to be excited its Ky but I think it'll just be Xander idk...I can't wait for the third book now, I really wanna know how it plays out...whew, sorry so long, what are your thoughts?

message 16: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I liked it, probably not as much as I did the first, and I thought it was a good continuation of the story. I think the difference for me was that this story didn’t have the emotional impact that Matched had and I think the reason could be how the storyline kept switching perspectives. I think you loose momentum when they constantly switch narrators. I think this book would have been really awesome if she would have told this one from Ky’s perspective. I liked when she told stories from Matched from his viewpoint.

What I would really like is for an author to write one really long story from beginning to end so I don’t have to wait 3 years. Is that too much to ask?

While I might complain about things I stilled enjoyed the story and am looking forward to the next.

message 17: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey That's a really good point though! It would be nice for an author to be like "hey here's a huge storyline that I'm not going to capitalize on and divide into 3 parts, here's an 800 page novel, enjoy!" Aren't they confident enough that they'll have some other story to sell again someday

I like different perspective but I just wish she would have stayed with one for longer than 2 or 3 pages, that's what aggravated me

message 18: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments So what are we reading next month?

message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey I'm really not sure, any suggestions??

message 20: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Im kinda interested in Down River by John Hart
also The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern
but im up for anything, do you have anything you've been wanting to read? Or anyone else?

message 21: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Or it will be December if you think it should be holidayish hehe

message 22: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments Well, I was thinking that we could find something that has the holidays as a backdrop, or set during the winter. Skipping Christmas was blah so that one is out.

message 23: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey okay I'll start searching for something like that, and if you find one you'd think would be good just let me know :)

message 24: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I have been looking but they all seem a little "lifetime movie" to me! Not that there is anything wrong with that. But . . .

message 25: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Well I don't think we'll find anything that isn't at least a bit "lifetime movie" but sometimes thats good if your in the mood for it hehe, and I guess that is the point of a holidayish novel :) so if you wanna suggest the ones you thought of that'd be cool, here is a few I thought might work, let me know what you think,
Snowed In by Rachel Hawthorne
Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright
The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

I'll look for a few with just winter themes too in case

message 26: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I found these on different lists throughout goodreads.

Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayard
Gift of the Magi by O’Henry
Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilche (sp)

The Christmas Train and Snowed In sound interesting.

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Those sound good too, especially the Mr. Timothy, I think I'll make a poll with these 5 we've came up with in case others here would like to participate this month , if no one besides us votes (haha) then I'll be happy with any of them :), sound good?

message 28: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments Sounds good!

message 29: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymiller40) | 38 comments I will be unavailable for the next week and a half, so if no one votes on a book just pick whichever you would like to read. I am ok with any of them.

message 30: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey alrighty :)