Start by marking “Snowed In” as Want to Read:
Snowed In

Snowed In

From beach-read favorite Rachel Hawthorne, author of Caribbean Cruising and Love on the Lifts, comes another winter romance perfect to get snowed-in with! Great for fans of Stephanie Perkins, Lauren Barnholdt and Susane Colasanti.

Seventeen-year-old Ashleigh is about to experience a lot of things for the first time. 1) Snow. She and her mom are moving from sunny Texas to an
Published November 27th 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Snowed In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowed In

Sarah Louise
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-themed
I think my craving for Christmas stories is blinding my judgment towards books. Take away the snowy atmosphere, Snowed In is pure romantic fluff that features quite immature characters and relationships. But for some reason, I absolutely loved it.

Ashleigh Sneaux and Josh Wynter.

First of all, those names just make me happy.

Ashleigh and her mother decide to embark on a new chapter in their lives by moving up North to a little island where they will run a bed and breakfast. This island was so quai
Cait S
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pros: It's short.

Cons: Everything else.
Sovanratana
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
A perfect and awesome Christmas read.
SyaSya Syed Nasir
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With someone to keep you warm, might as well get...
Patricia Crowther
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually really liked it. Initially I wasn’t all that impressed with the writing or the plot then about 100 pages in and the little twist occurred and I was hooked for the remainder. Some of it really resonated with me too, which I think probably contributed to how much I liked it. I just loved the added ‘complication’. It was just a fun little read despite not particularly liking any of the MCs, being a little cheesy at times and ugh those inner monologues!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

How would you like to move from Texas, where an ice storm is a major news story, to a remote island in the Great Lakes that has no cars, but does have store signs that say "Return after the first thaw"? And to find out that the junior class will have a mere six students when the winter break is over?

Ashleigh's parents are recently divorced, and to make a clean start, Ashleigh and her mother have moved to a small island to open a bed and breakfast named Cha
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
If you’re looking for the perfect read to curl up by the fire with this winter, Snowed In is the perfect book for you! This wintry book takes place on a perfect island and the main character is so sweet. This book is so cute and pretty short.

Snowed In is short and sweet, what I would consider pure fluff. This story is about a girl who moves to a small island with her mom and the adventures she has along the way. There are plenty of cheesy moments in the book, but they actually work well with the
Stephen
A perfect vacation read. A light hearted romance set in the winter on lonely Mackinac Island.

I became intrigued by this when I read that it was set on Mackinac Island. I went there once on vacation as a child with my parents and my brothers. It's a beautiful locale and very remote. And the no-cars rule adds a historic feel to the island that's quite unusual.

Of course my most vivid memory of that particular vacation was on the mainland, with my dad driving from gas station to gas station looking
Heather
Feb 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Who wouldn't like to experience snow?

As a girl who lived on a tropical island all her life, I really do love to experience it even a bit besides I'm the type of person who is fond of the cold season. I wanted to cuddle on my bed and comforter, read books and drink hot chocolate, So, this book is definitely fun fun fun read for me.

Ashleigh's parents are recently divorced, and to make a clean start, she and her mother moved to a small island and decided to open a bed and breakfast. Then she met N
Katie W
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A light, fluffy, teen, wintery read. Ashleigh's dad is getting remarried, so her mom moves her from Texas to a small island in the Great Lakes area to open a bed and breakfast--at the beginning of winter! Faced with the fears of a small high school and an even smaller dating pool, Ashleigh learns to accept the town and makes friends--and falls for their handyman--but he's taken. Like I said, cute, fluffy story--like hot chocolate with whipped cream.

Content: a small handful of swear words; guy an
Zach
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
After reading this, I want to point out that the female mind is a complicated thing. Not fond of the cheating aspect of it even though it wound up working.

I think everything resolved much too quickly to be realistic.

It had its funny moments though, so I will give it an extra star.
Gina
Cute but way too short!
Elusive
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Snowed In’ was a surprisingly engrossing book. Hawthorne writes in such a way where the story flows smoothly and you find yourself turning the pages despite the fact that the story is of the generic type. Since Ashleigh Sneaux’s (pronounced ‘snow’ and yeah it’s silly – it’s easier to spell it as ‘snow’) father is going to remarry, she and her mum move to a little island and decide to open a bed and breakfast place.

As much as it was a delightfully pleasant read, it really had no depth and it was
Heather
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Last week I asked by bookish friends on Twitter for recommendations of some good Christmasy/ winter set YA books and Snowed In came highly suggested. Gotta say this was a fun read. I think I may have found a new favorite author in Rachel Hawthorne!

Ashleigh and her mother have just moved from scorching hot Texas to a tiny remote island in the Midwest where there is no motorized transportation and the local scene is tight knit. The homes are historic Victorian cottages complete with turrets, one
Samantha
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really loved Rachel Hawthorne's "Snowed In" -- pretty much as much as I have loved all her other books so far. The characters are perfect -- not in the "omg he's a model-rocket-scientist-who-loves-orphans" kind of way. More like they seem real.

Ms Hawthorne uses amazing timing and the sequence of events is realistic. There are so many YA books out now that I read and think "As a teenager, would I actually do/say/think that?" but with Snowed In (and pretty much every other Rachel Hawthorne book
Geli
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, teen, michigan
I've been a fan of Rachel Hawthrone since Caribbean Cruising, so I figured Snowed In would be just as awesome. But I was sadly wrong. Within the first chapter I was immediately thought "Is she going to keep asking herself the same questions for the whole duration of the book?" It was just broader line annoying with so much of her self doubt. And theres all the characters "need" for a boyfriend. I understand that most girls do think that they arent defined unless they are in a relationship but it ...more
Brianna
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: holiday, favorites
Kayleigh Didion
Mar 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
I first read this when I was 15 or 16, maybe it's because I'm older than the characters but man these characters were infuriating. The main character's, Ashleigh, and the love interest's, Josh, actions were totally juvenile and parts unacceptable for someone in a relationship, and for someone who knows that said person is in a relationship. Another side character, Nathalie, kept referring to her boyfriend (Josh), as her boyfriend, never using his name. The only characters I liked were two of the ...more
Lindsay Gillis
Jul 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
I actually felt my brain turn to goo reading this. The heroine is 17, but she sounds much younger than that. It's about a girl named Ashleigh from Dallas, Texas who moves to Mackinac Island, Michigan, with her mother after her parents' divorce. While they work on renovations for their new inn, Ashleigh falls for the interior decorator's son, Josh, who has a girlfriend, Nathalie. Nathalie is the most obnoxious girl in the world. All she cares about is having a boyfriend and she only calls him by ...more
PickyReader
I skimmed the last 20 pages of this book. So sue me.

Snowed In is an elementary level book disguised as a teenage book. The writing style and characters are mind-numbingly simplistic and one dimensional. I loathed it at the ending.

Hence the skimming.

Here is an example of the simplicity of this book: "He said you weren't the reason, but if you weren't the reason, the I would be the reason... I don't want to be the reason."
"Sometime, no one is the reason. It just happens. It happened with my paren
Nica Zomerdijk
Hmmm I thought this would be an amazing christmas read, but it wasn't about christmas at all.

I liked it because it is such a cute story and the characters are fun. I didn't like Nathalie (she was very annoying) but the main character is SO ME. I loved her. The book is about love, winter, getting to know people etc, but it was kinda childish how the storyline went... I don't recommend this if you're allergic to insta-love and mean girls and such.

Oh and the writing style is awesome. Rachel is ve
Susan
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This young adult book was a fast, fun read. Perfect way to spend a snowy day, which is when I read it :)

I am well past this first love, first date stuff so for me this was a fluff read but a great way to unwind. This is the 2nd Rachel Hawthorne book I've read so will be looking for the others to keep handy when real-life gets to be too much.
Jessica
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Not usually what I would read, but it was fine for a quick December read. I like that Nathalie and Chase were not made into shallow catty villains. I like that it's set on Mackinac Island, where Somewhere in Time was filmed.
Jessica
So cute :) And I love how - when it comes to Hawthorne's books - you can never tell a thing about the story you're about to get into by the synopsis. :)
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
This novel is definitely a cozy Christmas read! Since it's a YA romance, it's full of the typical teen angst regarding relationships. Some adults might not even bother with it, as it's a light, fluffy read. I greatly enjoyed it! The book has certainly made me nostalgic for those high school days in which not being asked out was a major tragedy, and the desire to fit in and be accepted was of the greatest importance.

The main character in this story, who has the rather unusual and comical name of
Natalie
Betty Lou Bat
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: let-it-snow
Look at this cute and cheesy cover and you know exactly what is waiting for you... ;-)
This book is everything it promises to be.
It is silly, cute, romantic (except for one big NO GO*), easy to read and funny. The characters are more on the flat side but still likeable. Despite the plot being 100% predictable, the story is entertainig from the first to the last page - there isn't one boring moment. I had a lot of fun!
The setting is really beautiful.
There is delicious fudge, hot cider, crackling
Mehsi
I am really starting to love this author, she makes some pretty swoon-worthy and delicious books.

4.5 stars.

This one is my second book from this author, and this time instead of an island with sun, we are at an island covered in snow and cold. And it is shut off from the main land during the winter, which, as the main character likes to tell us, is a perfect horror setting. Yes, our main character loves horror.

I loved the setting, and I can imagine the mom moved away from Texas. Divorcing your hu
Mary
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Warning: the snowed in part does not happen until the end. I had mixed feelings about this read, but overall it was OK.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Summer in the City
  • Sleepless
  • Killer Cruise
  • Ex-mas
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Major Crush
  • Kissing Snowflakes
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Gettin’ Lucky
  • Something Borrowed
aka Jade Parker and also writes with her son as J.A. London
(also writes romance under Lorraine Heath)

Rachel Hawthorne, who also writes as Lorraine Heath and Jade Parker, is the daughter of a British beauty (her mother won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® during which she received a kiss from Caesar Romero-who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series) and a Texan who w
“You've been avoiding me," he said, talking to the sandwich.

I laughed. He looked over at me. "Sorry. I just realized that you talk to a lot of inanimate objects.”
21 likes
“He finally cleared his throat. "Well, huh."
"Yeah," I said. "What now?"
"Well"—he cleared his throat again—"I guess you and I go. I mean, unless you really don't want to."
Why put it on me to bail out?
"Do you want to?" I asked.
"Yeah. I really do. I had to talk Dad into giving me the afternoon off. And since I don't usually go to a lot of trouble to fix lunch, it seems a shame to waste the effort. Besides, there's the thing I want you to see."
He said all of this while staring at the door like he was talking to it. I almost expected it to respond.”
11 likes