Books on the Nightstand discussion

What Are You Currently Reading? November 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 193 (193 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
The Dark at the End (Repairman Jack, #15) by F. Paul Wilson

This is the last Repairman Jack book. I hesitate to call it a novel, since for the past six or seven books, the RJ saga resembles less a series of novels and more a continuing saga, each book ending in a cliffhanger. This book ends in a cliffhanger, too, and the saga will dovetail into Wilson's "Adversary Cycle". The final book of the Adversary Cycle came out in 1992, but a new revision of it will be coming out in a few months, and will cap the storylines.

Repaiman Jack is a resourceful guy who lives off the grid: no last name, no social security number, no legal existence. He's kind of a freelance vigilante, helping out people who are being conned or threatened. Often in his adventures, he takes on paranormal threats, all related to "The Otherness", an interdimensional, Lovecraftian wellspring of horror that wants to take over our dimension. The Otherness is inimical to life as we know it. Jack gradually comes to realize that he's being groomed as Earth's champion against The Otherness. So what starts out as a more earthbound story about a kickass vigilante becomes a high stakes existential horror/adventure story.

The books in the series run the gamut from excellent to so-so, but the series as a whole is very much worth reading, and this volume is a page turner of nail-biting suspense. My advice? Start with "The Tomb" and move on from there.

message 2: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) | 199 comments Can't believe its November! Anyways, I am currently reading Rebel Angels

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon B | 85 comments I am reading Turn of Mind, and I really wanted to call in "sick" today so I could finish the book! I resisted that temptation, but I can't wait until the work day ends so I can find out what happens.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments I'm reading Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre and still trying to finish The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint and Flappers and Philosophers The Collected Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald (Penguin Hardback Classics) by F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Just started The Submission on Nov 1. Next will be Before You Knew Kindness (trying to get all the Chris Bohjalian books read before the December author talk about Secrets of Eden), Shadow Divers, Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen and The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove (November author chat), the Imperfectionists, and then probably 1 or 2 more Chris Bohjalian books.

The Submission A Novel by Amy Waldman Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove by Susan Gregg Gilmore The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) | 56 comments Eric wrote: "The Dark at the End (Repairman Jack, #15) by F. Paul Wilson

This is the last Repairman Jack book. I hesitate to call it a novel, since for the past six or seven books, the RJ saga resembles less a series of novels..."

Eric is right...this is a fun and fantastic series. Repairman Jack might be able to beat up Jack Reacher in a fight (and I also love Lee Child's books)!

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Yeah. I just read the new JR and RJ books in succession. Two great tastes that go great together!

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i finished Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier which i found interesting.

i read a beautifully written y/a book Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate .

i started Two Kisses for Maddy A Memoir of Loss & Love by Matthew Logelin .

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:29AM) (new)

I just started listening to Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War; narrated by Jonathan Davis. It's Lehane's first novel and I'm a sucker for Boston Irish Noir. Davis doesn't attempt a Boston accent, which is better than a bad Boston accent; but I'm not getting the atmosphere. Davis tends to be a little "stately" in his reading and I don't think he has much of a sense of humor. I keep coming across phrases or passages that could probably benefit from an ironic interpretation. Bit still, I keep listening because the writing's that good :-/

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) | 56 comments Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "I just started listening to Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War; narrated by Jonathan Davis. It's Lehane's first novel and I'm a sucker for Boston Irish Noir. Davis doesn't attem..."

Tanya,
I adore the Dennis Lehane mystery series...gritty, suspenseful and fantastic writing.

message 11: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I started Rosemary's Baby yesterday, and it is fun so far. I've never seen the movie, so the whole thing will be new for me!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin wrote: "Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "I just started listening to Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War; narrated by Jonathan Davis. It's Lehane's first novel and I'm a sucker for Boston Ir..."

I've only ever seen Mystic River, the movie. I can't believe on what I've been missing! This is exactly the kind of writing I love! I can feel each scene as if I were there. I've already put the rest of his novels on my wish list :-)

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy This week's lunch-hour book is Terry Pratchett's new Discworld novel, Snuff, which I'm rationing to make the experience last longer. I finished the newspaper-column collection Feagler's Cleveland yesterday (and reviewed it here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...). Next up: a Goodreads-recommended fantasy called Flora Segunda, the new Wolcott Gibbs New Yorker collection Backward Ran Sentences, and David Ulin's The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books are So Important in a Distracted Time.

message 14: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Callie wrote: "I started Rosemary's Baby yesterday, and it is fun so far. I've never seen the movie, so the whole thing will be new for me!"

I've always wanted to read this one. Let me know how well you liked it. I've never seen the movie either.

I'm currently reading The Son of Neptune and also Eve both of which I like. I just finished Room which I thought was really good, and also Slime and other stories. That was such a fun read.

message 15: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Kathy wrote: "This week's lunch-hour book is Terry Pratchett's new Discworld novel, Snuff, which I'm rationing to make the experience last longer. I finished the newspaper-column collection [book:..."

post what you think of Ulin's book. it sounds interesting.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Elizabeth wrote: "post what you think of Ulin's book."

I will, but at the moment I'm still waiting for the inter-library loan shipment to arrive.

message 17: by Sharman (new)

Sharman (dsei) | 45 comments Amy wrote: "Just started The Submission on Nov 1. Next will be Before You Knew Kindness (trying to get all the Chris Bohjalian books read before the December author talk about Secrets of Eden), Shadow Divers, ..."

I loved The Shadow Divers. It is a great true life adventure. While reading it, my husband and I were driving through Limon, CO. I looked up from the book and saw a 4-6 ft. silhouette of a submarine on someone's fence. I made my husband drive around the block to just to make sure I had actually seen it. I thought I had just gotten too caught up in the adventure!

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 16 comments I'm loving Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin. It's my first experience with this writer, but it won't be the last. This seems to be a quiet, simple novel-- but the characters, places, and situations are showing up in my dreams between reading sessions!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraroxie) | 16 comments I'm currently reading the Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. I do like it but find it sad and heartbreaking so I needed a break from the doom and gloom and am also reading Lee Childs latest book, The Affair. If you like historical fiction, the Dovekeepers is a good one for you.

message 20: by Normandy (last edited Nov 02, 2011 04:59PM) (new)

Normandy (bookwitch69) I am still reading - The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "I just started listening to Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War; narrated by Jonathan Davis. It's Lehane's first novel and I'm a sucker..."

A Drink Before the War is my favorite Lehane -- it may not be the most popular, but I think it's his best. I do love them all, though (have not read The Given Day).

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
I have Summer 2012 sales conference tomorrow, and then I'm going to take a break from manuscripts and start reading some of the books by authors who are coming to our various Booktopia2012 events. ;)

message 23: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I am starting Shutter Island tonight. Glad to hear he is well-loved. :)

message 24: by Sharon L. (new)

Sharon L. Sherman (slsherman) | 5 comments La suma de los dias is by Isabel Allende and I'm tackling the Spanish pretty well so far! It is in English as:The Sum of Our Days. It is the sequel to "Paula" in some ways --check it out!

message 25: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Normie wrote: "I am still reading - The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson"

I've been wanting to read this one. How do you like it?

message 26: by Normandy (new)

Normandy (bookwitch69) So far very good - it is graphic with lots of detail - The main character is very complex but Marianne is the most intriguing. I will let you know.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisa--m) | 34 comments Laura wrote: "I'm currently reading the Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. I do like it but find it sad and heartbreaking so I needed a break from the doom and gloom and am also reading Lee Childs latest book, The A..."

I'm curious about the Dovekeepers. We went to Masada last year when we were in Israel. Since I'm not Jewish I was not familar with the story. But after being there this book intrigues me.

message 28: by John (new)

John (taborcarn) | 45 comments I'm currently in the middle of Drood and The Magician King . Once I finish those I plan to move on to Steve Jobs

message 29: by Vera (new)

Vera (vvrcpa) | 68 comments Reading/listening to Ready Player One during my daily commute. While this is not the type of book I'd typically pick up, I find I'm really enjoying it! Wil Wheaton narrates and does a fairly good job. I got a kick out of the reference to Wil Wheaton in the book! Lots of references to 80's pop culture - fun! My BOTN book is Thunderstruck. I read In the Garden of the Beasts this summer and previously read Devil in the White City. I really enjoy Larsen's writing style and the way he intertwines the stories of the main characters. No matter what he writes, I find it compelling.

message 30: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) Vera wrote: "Reading/listening to Ready Player One during my daily commute. While this is not the type of book I'd typically pick up, I find I'm really enjoying it! Wil Wheaton narrates and does a fairly good..."

I just picked this audio up yesterday because I've heard so many people enjoying it. Glad to hear that you are, too! Looking forward to diving in

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon B | 85 comments I am reading Black Swan Green. I am having a hard time connecting with the protagonist-a teenage boy-but am still enjoying the read.

I am also listening to Alice I Have Been, and have loved every second of it. The reader of the book is the perfect choice to portray Alice Liddle.

message 32: by Vera (new)

Vera (vvrcpa) | 68 comments Shannon wrote: "I am reading Black Swan Green. I am having a hard time connecting with the protagonist-a teenage boy-but am still enjoying the read.

I am also listening to [book:Alice I Have Bee..."

Shannon,

Black Swan Green is another book I listened to during my commute. It ended up being one of my favorite books EVER and David Mitchell is now on my Literary Mount Rushmore! Love him! I hope it warms up for you as much as it did for me!

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairebear8) | 38 comments I'm still reading Duma Key by Stephen King. Its been a little slow going at first but I think I'm starting to get to the good part where things start happening (hopefully). Even though a little slow at first, its a good story.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. I just finished A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane. Just wow. I love this kind of book: It takes me back to the Boston I knew and remember. I can all see all the places and characters so clearly in my mind. I want more! Good thing there's plenty to be had :-)

This week-end, I'll probably pick at A distant Mirror (by Barbara Tuchman some) and then on Monday start Dr. No (James Bond #6; by Ian Flaming; narrated by Simon Vance.)

message 35: by Esther (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) I finished The Passage which left me going ARGHHH!!! because I hadn't realised it was part of a trilogy. Now I have to wait. Even so it was well worth reading the 900+ pages. Despite the length the story never dragged.
Now I'm reading Of Guns, Revenge and Hope which I was sent to review. When I started it the voice seemed a little young but I have become used to the simple writing style and am enjoying it.

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 221 comments I'm currently reading Rich Boy by Sharon Pomerantz. I really love this book. Can barely put it down.

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason Tan Just finished The Litigators. I dreaded the beginning, but loved it midway through the book and all to the end.

Currently waiting patiently for 11/22/63 to be released in a few more days and that will be my next read.

message 38: by Sharman (last edited Nov 05, 2011 10:27AM) (new)

Sharman (dsei) | 45 comments Still reading March by Geraldine Brooks. I had to take some time off reading to finish a quilt, but get to enjoy again.
March March by Geraldine Brooks

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon B | 85 comments Vera wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I am reading Black Swan Green. I am having a hard time connecting with the protagonist-a teenage boy-but am still enjoying the read.

I am also listening to [book:..."

Vera, I am very much enjoying Black Swan Green now! Its a fun, yet intense, read.

I see you are listening to ready player one, that is up next on my audio book list. I look forward to it!

message 40: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments Just started Northwest Corner by John Burnham Schwartz...good so far and I just rented Reservation Road to catch up on the backstory.

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Ann wrote: "I have Summer 2012 sales conference tomorrow, and then I'm going to take a break from manuscripts and start reading some of the books by authors who are coming to our various Booktopia2012 events. ;)"

Teaser!

message 42: by Shane (new)

Shane | 5 comments Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children - Ransom Riggs

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 138 comments I'm reading Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart, a satirical yet also poignant look at a dysfunctional future America. I just finished listening to Drood (24 or 25 CDs) by Dan Simmons, and after taking a break for a day to catch up on a backlog of podcasts, plan to start on Graveminder by Melissa Marr, a fantasy novel.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments I am reading The Night Strangers. I haven't read very much (just a couple of chapters) but I'm already hooked. However, last night I dreamed that I witnessed a plane crash in the water. And when I say witnessed, I mean it happened right in front of me. I could see the people in the plane windows. I'm not even to the scary parts in the book and it's already influencing my dreams. I might have to stop reading it at night! By the way, if anyone knows how to interpret dreams, could you please tell me why Danny DeVito and Denis Leary were on the plane in my dream?

message 45: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Nancy wrote: "I'm reading Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart, a satirical yet also poignant look at a dysfunctional future America. I just finished listening to Drood (24 or 25 CDs) by Dan Simmons, and..."

i really like shteyngart's take on the future. he has some interesting ideas about what will become relevant. i hope you like the read.

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Just finished Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Surprisingly funny, great commentary on cultural values.

And almost finished with 1491 New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline in the lineup. Which one first? Any comments?

message 47: by Shannon (new)

Shannon B | 85 comments Robin wrote: "Just finished Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

And almost finished with[bookcover:1491: New Revelations of the..."

Robin, I started Ready Player One (audio version) yesterday, and I LOVE it! Although I am quite interested in IQ84 also..........what a tough choice to make!

message 48: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments I am in a total reading slump, I've been busy with work and it's leaving me no time for reading, uugghh. I just downloaded the audio of Alan Bradley's new book I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce #4) by Alan Bradley , so I am very excited to begin. I hope it helps my slump....

message 49: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Shannon wrote: "Robin wrote: "Just finished Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

And almost finished with[bookcover:1491: New R..."

Just downloaded Ready Player One (audio) from library. Thanks for your comment.

message 50: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) Robin wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Robin wrote: "Just finished Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

And almost finished with[bookcove..."

Good choice! I'm about 4.5 hours into the audio and it is adorkable - so great. Enjoy!

« previous 1 3 4