Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Divergent > Pre-Reading Thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Divergent is clearly a dystopian book, of which there are a lot at the moment. Do you think it's going to be boring and repetitive after all the others, or will it be refreshing and unique? What do you want to get out of this book?

message 2: by Megha (new)

Megha (thebookmarkgirl) | 59 comments Ah, what to say?

I have friends who aren't huge fans of dystopians and still adored this book to bits. If they can love it, I have a feeling I will love it too :-)

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 4 comments I've read the book and trust me-it is SO good! It's not my most favourite book but it's definately up there! :)

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments If you've read the book already, you can discuss it here.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 4 comments I wouldn't normally comment on pre-book discussions but there was only two comments here so I thought I'd add something.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments No problem. Thanks for trying to boost the numbers. (Other people, please don't hesitate to comment!)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

before reading this I seriously thought I was going to hate and it would be like all the others

message 8: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
I may read it later this month, when I finish what Im currently reading. I have attempted to read this in the past, but I dont think I got past the first ten/twenty pages. I found the writing very poor, and it seemed like the author was trying to hard to make a strange world. Twenty pages is too early to judge, but I just couldnt stand it. I think what did it for me is people having to jump of a moving train in the morning to prove their braveness )or something like that?) That just seemed tacky, so I put it down.
However, I spent $15 on the book, so I'll have to give it a second chance.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 04, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

well the wirter is only 23 I found out.

But your right jess the writing is pretty poor but the story does get better (minus the jumping off the train thing)

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I agree with you, Jess.
But, as I'm sure you've realized. I do not like this book.

message 11: by Mia Claire (new)

Mia Claire | 142 comments Before reading it I've read a negative review. I thought the book wouldn't suit me but I was mistaken. It's now one of my favorites. :)