Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Divergent > Final Thoughts? (spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments If you've finished the book, or have already read it, what did you think? What do you like about it? What bothers you? Are you avidly awaiting the sequel?

Warning:spoilers are allowed, so if you haven't finished yet, be warned.

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Alright! *Rubs hands together* I get to voice my thoughts.

I did not like it.
Now, now, don't get mad. I know many, many people loved this book. Let me explain my dislike fully.

I'll put it all in a spoiler.

(view spoiler)

So, no, I'm not avidly awaiting the sequel.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "Alright! *Rubs hands together* I get to voice my thoughts.

I did not like it.
Now, now, don't get mad. I know many, many people loved this book. Let me explain my dislike fully.

I'll put it al..."

I can totally see your point with all of those (view spoiler)

But I still really liked the book, usually I'm a huge nit pick with things like that but I think I have hope that more will be explained in the next one..there were snips of it in here...I really liked the original motos and reasoning of the fractions.

Oh and the thing with eric (view spoiler)

any way I really enjoyed so I will read the next one...however I have that feeling that this series might get worse rather then get better we will just have to wait and see

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments You don't need spoiler tags in this topic. We're assuming that if you're participating in this part of the discussion you've finished the book (or at least understand that most of the people commenting here have).

message 5: by Ingrid (last edited Nov 03, 2011 04:12PM) (new)

Ingrid Melanie, I get what you're saying about Eric, but still.
I mean, a whole faction of Dauntless against one man? I'm pretty sure something would happening.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

But I think the people who are at the top (its mentioned he is in training to be the new leader) are the ones he really bought over so the majority of the fraction think that even if they dont like eric he is still being controlled by the old leaders at that time...and I'm sure some dauntless agree with eric too

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

@kate ahhaha thanks it was going to get hard lol

message 8: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid It's just, history has proven that if you treat the minorities awful, you're really digging your own grave. In any historical setting, there would be people plotting against him.
The world was just obviously improbable. Aristotle's dictum comes to mind. "One should always prefer the probable impossible to the improbable possible."

The factions and the backwardness of Chicago might be possible sometime, but it is definitely not probable and therefore is highly unbelievable.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

well we did see that there were people trying to plot against them (the chick in the tattoo shop) to be honest I feel they probably thought they had more time.
But I can see where your coming from, I think its why the writer made Abnegation such a complacent fraction they really wouldnt think of rising up because it would benefit them and they are above being selfish.

she skimmed around it a lot and if she put more thought in she could have made it work.

message 10: by Kara (new)

Kara Cabarle (karacabarle) | 2 comments The ending was quite hanging. I can't wait for Insurgent!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to see if she'll make the next book better than this one...

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "3. "Don't manipulate the simulators, they'll know what you are." A few weeks later, the big simulator ending stage. She manipulates EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Hello?"

Yes. Thank you! I was sitting there reading it and I was like-ok, you're not supposed to manipulate the circumstances in the simulator. Final test-she invents a gun, she suddenly is able to break unbreakable glass with her hands.....Some of that test was fine, but some...wasn't.

And with the mind control-really? Could you at least have been more creative about how you made it? It almost worked. Almost. There was no real explanation about why Divergents weren't affected. And to be honest, I don't know if the whole mind control thing even makes sense the way she did it. The computer program is telling you what to do, but when things changed (AKA they had to attack Tris in particular) how did they know to do that? Shouldn't they not have known that she was a problem, since the computer didn't? The program didn't turn them into Jeanine's slaves, it turned them into the computer's, but at times it seemed like the other way around.

Also, I'm pretty sure that at one point they said that they were going to join with the Divergent-born initiates. And then it never happened.

I like the book, but things like that stopped me from loving it. I will definitely read Insurgent, but I don't have all that high hopes for it.

message 13: by Mia Claire (new)

Mia Claire | 142 comments Kara wrote: "The ending was quite hanging. I can't wait for Insurgent!"

Me too. Can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

message 14: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Yes, Kate! I completely agree with all of your points.

Except, it kind of stopped me from even liking it.

message 15: by Carly (new)

Carly Ingram-Gerrard (carlylovesreading31) | 2 comments I really really like this book a lot! Agree with all your points too :) I loved the relationship between her and Four! Also I loved the end where they escaped! I can't wait for Insurgent!

message 16: by cayla (new)

cayla (jumbleofpassions) The book was amazing! And the relationship between Four and Tris was lovely; but it did sound a bit similar to The Hunger Games...still, I can't wait for the next book to come out! :D

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly Ingram-Gerrard (carlylovesreading31) | 2 comments I can't wait either! I also LOVE, Love, love "The Hunger Games", the official trailer for the movie comes out this MONDAY :)

message 18: by cayla (new)

cayla (jumbleofpassions) Carly wrote: "I can't wait either! I also LOVE, Love, love "The Hunger Games", the official trailer for the movie comes out this MONDAY :)"

I love it too! Can't wait for the trailer xD

message 19: by Elen (new)

Elen Caldecott | 1 comments I enjoyed it. It wasn't the most original novel (had shades of everything from 1984 to Matched)but I think it was well written. And I liked that the female protag chose to join the 'bad' group. It made me wonder what Harry would have been if he'd joined Slytherin. Tris was nicely bad-ass. I found the ending implausible too, especially the way that she was forced to save the two people she really didn't want to. That was pure sequel set-up. But I will definitely be reading the sequel.

message 20: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I really really like it. The main characters were great and had a strong personality, and although the plot was just okay I like the whole book, I enjoyed reading it and I think it might be better than The Hunger Games. And that is why I am really looking forward to Insurgent.
It's also amazing how the book could be suddenly so popular and even already have a movie coming up in such a short time!

message 21: by Megha (new)

Megha (thebookmarkgirl) | 59 comments I really loved the book. Although it was really similar to some other books I've read, I enjoyed it very much! I just didn't enjoy too much when we had Marcus at the end and she hated him and all, I found I didn't care if she hated him or not because we hardly knew Marcus at all.

But, apart from that, this book was SO good! I really, really CANNOT wait for Insurgent to come out!

message 22: by Miss Ryoko (last edited Dec 07, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments I had mixed feelings while I was reading this book. At times I was like "ugh, this book is boring" but then it FINALLY kicked up and started getting more interesting.

I gave it a 3 star rating based off of what I read and not what I didn't read. I have never read a dystopian book before (not sure I will read more beyond this series) so I didn't have any expectations for it. The idea of the 5 factions was neat and I really liked the fact that everyone both had good and bad in them, but my biggest problem with this book was with its awful main character.

If I could light Tris on fire, I would do it without a second thought. She is beyond annoying! I couldn't stand how she was so obsessed to prove she wasn't who she really was, because that would make her "less Dauntless" so instead she was a complete and utter selfish, heartless, whiny bitch. She was so judgmental but yet thought SHE was the brave and awesome one (just for the record Tris, saying your brave over and over does not make your selfish, cowardly acts brave ones. Doing what you KNOW is right is brave... but you know, if she would have done THAT, the right thing, what she KNEW was the right thing, that actually, in the end, makes her a coward so why would she do that? UGH!!)

I honestly am not sure how people can like her. And what was this whole "I can't bring myself to kill these people I absolutely can't stand and are out to get me... but oh look, there is Will, my friend. I know he's being controlled, but since he's my friend, no big, I'll aim for his head and he can die. It's the least I can do, right?"

WHAT THE HELL!?

Beyond the fact that Tris is the worst female lead since Bella Swan (whoops, did I say that outloud)... I enjoyed the story. I liked the other characters and the situations, for me, were interesting. I was definitely on the edge of my seat at the end, even if Tris proved to be even more of heartless bitch during that time, but for the most part, I decided to judge the book by what was in front of me, and I enjoyed MOST of what was in front of me.

Now, when Summit makes it a movie and casts horrible actors in it, I guarantee I will no longer like this book or the series. Summit tends to do that with their movies made from books. Thanks Summit, you're awesome.

(haha with all this negativity it seems like I didn't like it! Haha! But I enjoyed it for the most part...but Tris...ugh....)

message 23: by Ingrid (last edited Nov 18, 2011 09:41PM) (new)

Ingrid Yes, Teresa, YES!
Tris was just a selfish, ignorant, heartless, and immature little kid. She was impossible! Urgh!

message 24: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "Yes, Teresa, YES!
Tirs was juist a selfish, ignorant, heartless, and immature little kid. She was impossible! Urgh!"

Truth!!

I saw others complain about her, so I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't stand her!

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "Yes, Kate! I completely agree with all of your points.

Except, it kind of stopped me from even liking it."

For certain books, you can only expect so much. I read it for mild enjoyment instead of expecting it to be a great book, so the issues weren't as big a deal. If I had believed all the glowing reviews and gone into it expecting something amazing, then my opinion would probably have been lower.

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 81 comments I am so glad that I read this book for the group read! It was really good, even though it's different than most books I read. Can't wait to read the next astounding group read!

message 27: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Four... *Shakes head* I never got understood the appeal. It makes me wonder.

And of course it's not too late to comment, Megan. In fact, we need people to discuss the group reads. We could even use more of them *hinthint*

message 28: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid He just seemed, I don't know, kind of strange to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I love strange characters, but Four I just couldn't get. He just made no sense.

message 29: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments Megan wrote: "Hope it's not too late to comment. I gave the book 3 stars... but one line in the book that had me rolling my eyes, is the following:

"Fine. You're not pretty. So?" He kisses my cheek. "I like how you look.""

It seems to be this HUGE theme these days in Young Adult fiction where super hot dudes go for the "average, not so special" girls. I mean, of course that happens in real life, but I'm not really sure why its such a popular piece in YA literature these days.

For me, its a little annoying. I'm tired of these female characters being like "ugh, I'm not pretty or anything, why do you like me? Clearly I'm not good for you" *rolls eyes* Ugh!

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 81 comments Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "Alright! *Rubs hands together* I get to voice my thoughts.

I did not like it.

I'll put it al..."

I agree with you on number 4. On number 2, I disagree because I think Tris is strong and she'd been going through so much that she didn't really have time or the emotion left to really dwell on it at the moment. Number 3: You're right. I didn't get that part either.

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine | 81 comments Kara wrote: "The ending was quite hanging. I can't wait for Insurgent!"

Completely agree!

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine | 81 comments ~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "I had mixed feelings while I was reading this book. At times I was like "ugh, this book is boring" but then it FINALLY kicked up and started getting more interesting.

I gave it a 4 star rating bas..."

Interesting review...a bit of a crazy rant...interesting points, though...

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine | 81 comments Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "He just seemed, I don't know, kind of strange to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I love strange characters, but Four I just couldn't get. He just made no sense."

That's what I thought while reading it!

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine | 81 comments ~*~Teresa Gyllenhaal~*~ wrote: "Megan wrote: "Hope it's not too late to comment. I gave the book 3 stars... but one line in the book that had me rolling my eyes, is the following:

"Fine. You're not pretty. So?" He kisses my chee..."

Funny last bit.

message 35: by Shalini (new)

Shalini Boland (shaliniboland) | 1 comments I gave it 5 stars because I couldn't stop reading it. I'll always let the author get away with a little bit of artistic licence if it adds to the enjoyment of the story. I really felt the atmosphere of the world. Like the Hunger Games, I could picture the people and places and it had me absorbed for the whole time I was reading it (a day!).

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments I loved the book but why? Why? Why? Why? Did Veronica Roth do that to Tris!?! To anyone who might not of read Alliegent, there are shocking surprises in the end.

message 37: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 115 comments I really enjoyed both Divergent and Insurgent, but Allegiant let the trilogy down. The story is extremely thin. It reads like an early draft, and one that still needs a lot of work.

message 38: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments Really? That's how Divergent read as well (in my opinion) so I'm not surprised

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Lynne wrote: "I really enjoyed both Divergent and Insurgent, but Allegiant let the trilogy down. The story is extremely thin. It reads like an early draft, and one that still needs a lot of work."

I agree it does need a lot of work. I don't see why the publishers didn't call her off on that.