Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > Once Upon a Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by S (new)

S Pearlyan (purplewidow) | 84 comments Did anyone watch it? I find the concept of frozen time/fairy world in modern world fascinating.
Can't wait for next episode.

message 2: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) I enjoyed the first episode. have yet to watch the second. I agree, the concept is definitely intriguing. hope they can pull it off!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I've seen the first two episodes - I think it's an interesting concept (though, so far, I like Fables better as a 'fairy tales in the modern world' kind of thing) - but I'm curious as to how they're going to stretch the story out indefinitely.

message 4: by S (new)

S Pearlyan (purplewidow) | 84 comments I doubt it can last more than 2 seasons unless they decide to stretch it out unnecessarily. Oh wait, they already do that with most shows.

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci I like it okay so far, but I doubt it'll finish one season. I just don't think it appeals to anyone not interested in a fantasy fairy tale show. It's a little (alot) hokey. That being said though I like the "flashbacks" more than the real world segments.

message 6: by S (new)

S Pearlyan (purplewidow) | 84 comments Have you noticed the recent trend of tv shows towards supernatural? The other new show Grimms. I like that one as well

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine I am happy to see this trend. So much better than the "reality" shows.

message 8: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) Ramen.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Traci wrote: "I like it okay so far, but I doubt it'll finish one season. I just don't think it appeals to anyone not interested in a fantasy fairy tale show. It's a little (alot) hokey. That being said though I..."

I also like the flashbacks better.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm not a big fan of fantasy shows because they always take a turn for the worse (the dark) and they always jump the shark.

:-(

I saw Grimm and I wasn't impressed....there are too many plot holes the size of my pocketbook (which is ginormous).

message 11: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) | 338 comments I missed it! Boo. :(

message 12: by Traci (new)

Traci MrsJoseph wrote: "I'm not a big fan of fantasy shows because they always take a turn for the worse (the dark) and they always jump the shark.

I saw Grimm and I wasn't impressed....there are too many plot hole..."

Did you ever watch Pushing Daisies? It might seem like a dark and serious premise but that was the sweetest, most uplifting show I have ever seen. I was so disappointed it got cancelled.

message 13: by S (new)

S Pearlyan (purplewidow) | 84 comments I really liked this week's Once upon a Time. Maybe because it had more of fairy tale world than real world.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) MrsJoseph wrote: "I'm not a big fan of fantasy shows because they always take a turn for the worse (the dark) and they always jump the shark.

I saw Grimm and I wasn't impressed....there are too many plot hole..."

The main fantasy shows that jump the shark in my view are the ones that become very popular. The more 'cult'
shows tend to stay down to earth and based around their audience's wants and needs.

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 143 comments I've been enjoying the majority of the episodes. I tuned in a little late, and will admit that the Prince Charming and Snow thing just get's dragged out a little too far - and often. But I like having more fantasy around on TV... keeps me from tuning into crap like The Legend of the Seeker. (I watch Merlin too sometimes, but it's a little too kiddie imo.)

Traci wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "I saw Grimm and I wasn't impressed....there are too many plot hole..."

Did you ever watch Pushing Daisies? It might seem like a dark and serious premise but that was the sweetest, most uplifting show I have ever seen"

I LOVED Pushing Daisies. But apparently, we were in the minority. Grimm can't keep my interest for a whole episode. And Lost Girl??? Really...? (view spoiler) *rolls eyes* Geesh.

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 102 comments I've been keeping up with "Once Upon a Time." I agree with comments that the flashbacks are more interesting. I also worry about how sustainable the premise is.

The other thing that really bothers me is the insane aggression the mayor has for Emma. She feels more like a high school "arch nemesis" than a real villain.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments Need to catch up on the last few episodes, but I have been enjoying this show.

As others have mentioned, I think this is a hard premise to maintain indefinitely. They need to be building toward a climax. Which US broadcast TV is loathe to do. They prefer to milk a show as long as possible (and often beyond) rather than try out new shows on a regular basis.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments This is good show, it's one of my favorites. I like this kind of show. I like the fairytale land better than the real world.

I dumped both Grimm, Lost Girl, Merlin, because they suck.

Colleen ofCC wrote: I like Fables better...
I didn't know that aired, I thought it was on the back burner. Where are you watching it? I'd like to see it.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Sorry - I meant just the story/books of Fables. I like how they handle the fairy tale people in modern day world better.

message 20: by Kasi (new)

Kasi Blake (kcblake) | 64 comments I hated Once Upon a Time at first. When they showed that cricket with his umbrella and clothes, I switched channels. Then I returned when nothing else was on and fell in love with it. I am so glad it's coming back in the fall.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I'm also glad it's coming back. I never hated it - though I did get weary of the love-drama stuff... but I'm curious how they'll continue to story and whether they can really keep it going.

My favorite character is Rumpelstiltskin, so I'm curious to see what he'll do now that he's (view spoiler).

message 22: by Jackie (last edited Jun 05, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Colleen wrote: I meant just the story/books of Fables.
OK, thanks for the clarification.

OUAT has good episodes and bad, like every other show on TV. Rumpelstilskin is the best character on there, Carlyle does a fantastic job of it.

message 23: by Kasi (new)

Kasi Blake (kcblake) | 64 comments Totally agree. Rumpelstilskin is my favorite too. I love how shocked the evil queen looks every time he says, "Please." LOL

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Yeah, like she sucked a lemon, lol

message 25: by Kamla (new)

Kamla | 119 comments I enjoyed the first season although I found the acting was at times a bit poor/cheesy (maybe it was the directing). The plot, however, was entertaining enough to keep me interested. I agree with Jackie and K.C., Robert Carlyle (Rumpelstilskin)stole the show. I've been a fan since watching him play Dr. Rush on Stargate Universe plus I love his Scottish accent. After watching the season finale, I'll like to see what they do in season 2. I'm hoping that the show doesn't become too soap opera-ish.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Kamla, Dr Rush on SGU was another character that I absolutely loved. That show should never have been cancelled, it was so good and Rush was a huge part of what made the show so good.
I'm a sucker the Scottish accent. Every time. lol

message 27: by Kamla (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Kamla | 119 comments Jackie, Tell me about:(. It seems that more often than not the good ones get the boot. I loved all the Stargates but SGU was exceptionally well written and well acted. Another really good one that got cancelled was Camelot. You would think that a series that can turn Merlin into a raw provocative sex symbol would merit staying on the air. Joseph Fiennes had me seeing Merlin in in ways I never would have imagined.

message 28: by Jackie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:40AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I loved all the 'Gates but SGU was so much more. The darkness, the mystery, how could it not have a bazillion viewers?

I liked Camelot, but didn't love it, too many changes from the traditional story. And I hated the boy as Arthur, the one who played Gawain is more like my vision of Arthur...a strong man, not a boy with skinny arms, lol And changing this boy-Arthur into a backstabbing horny jerk is not Arthur, he's all about honor...that storyline made Camelot and chivalry irrelevant. I hate when they do that to a beloved character.
Totally agree about Merlin. Yowza! I never seen Merlin so hot, I mean, smoking hot. I liked Eva Green as Morgan, both of them made the series for me.

message 29: by Kamla (new)

Kamla | 119 comments Jackie wrote: "And I hated the boy as Arthur, the one who played Gawain is more like my vision of Arthur...a strong man, not a boy with skinny arms, lol And changing this boy..."

It's funny you mentioned that. Both my son and I had the same contention with the show. It could have done with a more Arthur like Arthur but it would have been interesting to see how the different take on the story would have played out....and if it fizzled well I stilled would have watched it just to get my Merlin on.
Ditto on Eva Green. I also watch the BBC's Merlin. It's a silly more lighthearted take, but I really don't like the Morgana they have on the show.

message 30: by Jackie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 03:29PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I wanted to see how it played out too. Different, but that just means I don't know what's gonna happen.
I tried BBC Merlin, again, the wrongness of it all. Merlin and Arthur are contemporaries, no, Merlin served Arthur's father first, it's how Arthur was born. And then that ugly thing they cast as Gwen. I couldn't do it.
Now, all that aside, I thought it wouldn't last and that was the deciding factor in quitting. So now that it's been on for a while, and BBCA is running a marathon this Friday, I decided to see if I can get past my own traditionalism and try to enjoy it. I'll let you know next week, lol

Did you watch BBC Robin Hood? That was really good. Jonas Armstrong, Richard Armitage, more hotness. Marian was gorgeous, the Sheriff was monstrous. I loved it, lol The guy who played Gawain on Camelot was Archer on RH.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I really liked BBC Robin Hood when it started, then it went through a scary phase, but I thought the ending was handled well.

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Refresh me, what was the scary phase? When Gisborne and Robin worked together?

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments It's really good, I hope you like it.

message 34: by Kamla (new)

Kamla | 119 comments I enjoyed BCC's Robin Hood also. It did seem to become a bit formulaic and cheesy at times but I still like it. And let's not forget to add Clive Standen (Gawain from Camelot) who played Archer to Jackie's list of the show's hotties.

message 35: by Claude (last edited Jun 06, 2012 05:32PM) (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 20 comments BBC's Robin Hood was great! I didn't like the blond much (Heck, why did they kill Marian!), but the last part with Archer made up for everything!

Claude Dancourt

message 36: by Jackie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 05:53PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Clive Standed, definitely a hottie. I've got a long list, lol

I wasn't happy about the blonde either. I hated her. Mainly because I missed Marian. Ironically, the actress went on the play one of my fav characters on Downton Abbey. Why is that ironic? Because I've been known to hold grudges from past characters, lol

I wanted to kill Gisbourne for what he did to Marian, stalker asshole.

The actress who plays Marian will be on True Blood this season. I'll be glad to see her again.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Jackie wrote: "Refresh me, what was the scary phase? When Gisborne and Robin worked together?"

Sorry. I was using scary as a euphemism for crap. ;)

I heard they killed (view spoiler) 'cause the actress wanted to leave the show.

message 38: by Jackie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Yes that was a big pile of crap. I was so pissed off. It definitely changed the show for me after that.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) One thing I really liked about the end of the series was how they sort of got you to sympathize with Guy, despite what he did. Well, it worked for me, anyway.

And as for Guy... did anyone know that Richard Armitage is playing Thorin Oakenshield in the upcoming Hobbit movies? I had no idea - I couldn't even begin to see him through the make-up!

I can sort of see it now, now that I know it's him, but I wouldn't have guessed if I hadn't read it.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Colleen wrote: I really liked about the end of the series was how they sort of got you to sympathize with Guy, despite what he did
Definitely got me to feel that way too.

And yes, I knew about Armitage from day one, I follow a lot of British actors to see what they're gonna be in. Holmes from Sherlock is Bilbo, Mitchell from BH UK is Kili. The Hobbit has an exceptional cast.

message 41: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) It's Watson that's doing Bilbo, though Sherlock is doing the voice of Smaug. :>

And I knew about Mitchell (he doesn't look much different as a dwarf, LOL), but I had no idea that was Richard Armitage, or that Billy Connolly was in it, too! It does look like a great cast. :>

message 42: by Jackie (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:50PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Colleen wrote : It's Watson that's doing Bilbo
I'm a duh-head, I knew that, don't know why I wrote "Holmes", in my mind I was saying "Watson". But I didn't know Sherlock was doing the voice of Smaug, very cool! Benedict has a fantastic voice, great choice for Smaug.
I agree about Mitchell, I've never seen a hot dwarf before, lol. I think he looks more like an elf.
Billy Connolly is always fantastic, I'm looking forward to seeing him most of all.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) There's been some weird fan crossover art with the whole Sherlock/Hobbit thing. This was one of my faves, tho:

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I need to find this show yall are talking about.

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments ± Colleen (of the Crawling Chaos) ± wrote: "Which one?"

O_o

Ummm, that one?

(Didn't realize yall were talking about two or more.)

message 47: by Jackie (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:29PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Colleen, that cartoon is hilarious! TY for posting it, it made my day. Brit TV/movie casting is incestuous, everyone's been on everything, it's a far smaller community than what we've got here. Do you watch Doctor Who? So many good actors guested on DW.

Mrs J, we're talking about 'Sherlock' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/ which just finished it's 2nd season on PBS and The Hobbit movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) True. But it also seems to be a much more talented community. At least as far as big names goes.

But I may be a bit biased 'cause I think most of my favorite books and TV shows all seem to be British... or at least Anglophilic. :>

message 49: by Jackie (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I agree, they are far more talented. Here, pretty face and hot body come first, acting is often secondary. Over there, it's the acting that comes first, as it should be.

Another reason why we see the same faces over and over is that their season run much shorter than ours, freeing them up to do other series and movies. I like this set up. I feel American programs drag out their storylines, it gets diluted. UK programs don't have all the filler BS we're forced to endure with US TV, they have limited time to make their point and they use that time wisely.

If it's bias then I wholeheartedly share the same bias. But I believe we both found something superior in the Brits and that's why we seek it out.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I agree that sometimes the American seasons seem too long, but the UK seasons sometimes feel like teases. I'd be happy with finding a middle-ground somewhere. :>

« previous 1