Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #1.5)
This topic is about The Thirteen Problems
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED December 2011 BOM - The Thirteen Problems

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. | 4562 comments Mod
Originally published in 1931. Features Miss Marple.

A collection of thirteen mysteries featuring Miss Marple and her fellow Tuesday Night Club friends.

message 2: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Wheelaghan (httpwwwgoodreadscomMarianneW) | 45 comments Not heard of this wee collection. Great! Will look out for it - anyone know if it is available on Kindle?

Kunal Sen | 5 comments a goodish collection that contains one outstanding short story, 'The Blue Geranium'.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

I have this book so I'm ready.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Marianne wrote: "Not heard of this wee collection. Great! Will look out for it - anyone know if it is available on Kindle?"

Yes, it is available for Kindle...I just checked and as of today, it is $6.99 in the US.

message 6: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Wheelaghan (httpwwwgoodreadscomMarianneW) | 45 comments Thanks, Elizabeth!

Suzanne Quinn | 2 comments I'm reading through the Marple series so this is the perfect book for December. Glad to hear it's available as an eBook. I'm totally hooked on my eReader!

message 8: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (morgaine620) Just ordered from my library ~ Hope I get it in time and can take part. Sounds interesting!. She has such a great style. And I just love Miss Marple!

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 17 comments I read this book a while ago so I'll have to reread it. I wonder if I'll be able to remember the endings to most of the stories or not...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I downloaded it to my Kindle today and am ready to start reading it in December!

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Me too, I'm ready!

message 12: by Karin (last edited Nov 25, 2011 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin Sorry guys, won't be joining you. Our library doesn't have the book.
Btw, is this the same book as The Tuesday night murder club'?

I'm waiting for the next one, 'Lord Edgware dies'.

message 13: by ☯Emily (last edited Nov 25, 2011 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 17977 comments Karin wrote: "Sorry guys, won't be joining you. Our library doesn't have the book.
Btw, is this the same book as The Tuesday night murder club'?

Yes, they are the same book. I thought I had the book in my library, but couldn't find it. Now I will look under this alternate title which is the title when it was first published in the USA.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) I just read it last month - all the mysteries are quite good.

4cats (fourcats) | 175 comments have just finished it, great collection of short stories tied together so well. loved it.

4cats (fourcats) | 175 comments Are we reading Lord Edgeware Dies for Jan2012?

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Yes, you can see what we're reading next by going to "THE LIST" that's in our general discussions folder. I'll set the January one up right now.

message 18: by ☯Emily (last edited Nov 28, 2011 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 17977 comments I have just completed the first mystery in the book. I don't get how Miss Marple solved the mystery because I don't understand several things. Raymond expressed it best, "What about the trifle and the hundreds and thousands?"

What are trifles? What are hundreds and thousands? In fact, what is banting?(I think I can guess based on context, but since I am asking questions, I'll include it.)

This is one time that a common language divides us!

message 19: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

I thought trifles were like sweets. I'm not sure about the rest.

4cats (fourcats) | 175 comments Trifles are a dessert. They are made up of a thick layer of jelly, then a thick layer of thick custard and then a thick layer of cream. On top you sprinkle hundreds and thousands (which are tiny candies multi coloured( white, pink, red, etc), they are tiny little strands. Hope this helps

message 21: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Yummy :)

Isn't banting something to do with quilting?

4cats (fourcats) | 175 comments I think banting is a type of diet or dieting : )

Melissa (mrsmelissa) The Thirteen Problems was my 1st Agatha Christie. I was enjoying a couple of days @ The Oman Dive Centre and ended up sipping cool white wine on the verandah flicking pages furiously rather than walking, swimming, kayaking/boating and snorkelling LOL

☯Emily  Ginder | 17977 comments 4cats wrote: "Trifles are a dessert. They are made up of a thick layer of jelly, then a thick layer of thick custard and then a thick layer of cream. On top you sprinkle hundreds and thousands (which are tiny ..."

Thanks, the hundreds and thousands really had me stumpted.

4cats (fourcats) | 175 comments Emily wrote: "4cats wrote: "Trifles are a dessert. They are made up of a thick layer of jelly, then a thick layer of thick custard and then a thick layer of cream. On top you sprinkle hundreds and thousands (w..."

no probs

Amanda | 91 comments This is one of my favorites! Looking forward to a cozy December read.

Sophia (sophiarose) I love this series of short stories. I have it as The Tuesday Club and I got it as a steal on the clearance shelf for $1- so pleased.

message 29: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

That's a great deal, I looked it up on Amazon and the kindle version is $6.99! Yikes!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the first 3 stories. I may or may not continue with it. Not enjoying them very much.

message 31: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Started the audiobook today. With the BBC audiobooks they wait until the end to say who the narrator(s) was/were. The voice of Miss Marple is so familiar though that I'm having a hard time concentrating on the words more than the voice. I keep thinking I've heard this voice before, who is it? AAAAAH!

message 32: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (morgaine620) HI everyone, got "the thirteen problems" today from my library but had no time yet to read. But I am glad that thing with "hundreds and thousands" is already explained that would have made me think. I know and love trifle though :-) have a great evening!

message 33: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

My audiobook only had one story! And of course out of the 50 or so I have at home, it's not one I own. So I ordered a copy from the library. It's on the shelf at a local one so hopefully I can get it quick.

Fiona | 86 comments Reading a story each day as I have a number of books on the go at the moment.

☯Emily  Ginder | 17977 comments Fiona wrote: "Reading a story each day as I have a number of books on the go at the moment."

That's what I am doing. I'm up to chapter 3.

message 36: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (morgaine620) I have read 4 stories today as I just could not stop. Was right with some of the stories but some I just could not figure out. Am glad that Miss Marple is there ;-)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read 8 stories so far...Hope to finish it this weekend.

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 2201 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Yummy :)

Isn't banting something to do with quilting?"

I looked up banting in Dictionary.com, and banting is dieting by eating high protein, low carbs, i.e., the Atkins diet. Who knew it was popular in 1931?

message 39: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (morgaine620) Hi Lorraine thanks for the information! Lorraine wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Yummy :)

Isn't banting something to do with quilting?"

I looked up banting in Dictionary.com, and banting is dieting by eating high protein, low carbs, i.e., the Atkins diet...."

message 40: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen (raven51) | 11 comments I will be starting this book tonight and am really looking forward to it

message 41: by Karen (last edited Dec 05, 2011 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen I have read alot of Agathe and had decided reading her first book and then her books in order since even ones I have read a good a 2nd time. I also wanted to read the ones I have missed. The library where I came from originally had a bout 20 or so of her books and I have bought a few. Well I went to the library here and not 1 there at all. (commie outfit or what?)A friend suggested I join this group so I am trying to read the back older books and the book of the month here. I thought I will ask for inter library loan. The librarian said:"These are really old books, not read much anymore. May have trouble getting." You have got to be kidding me? If I am unable to get the books I may have to not do this group. Ever heard of such a thing. I do not think her popularity has ever wavered myself.

☯Emily  Ginder | 17977 comments Karen wrote: "I have read alot of Agathe and had decided reading her first book and then her books in order since even ones I have read a good a 2nd time. I also wanted to read the ones I have missed. The libra..."

These books are very popular. I find stacks of them at book sales for 50 cents or less.

message 43: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Go to thrift stores, I always find them there. I keep a list in my purse of the ones I already have.

You could also try to borrow from the library e-book wise, or through a friend's Kindle or Nook. I've uploaded the Kindle and Nook software to my laptop and borrow and purchase from both Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I think last month's book was free on Amazon or was that the month before. I think your librarian doesn't know what she's talking about. I rarely find her books on my library's shelves because people are READING them.

message 44: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (morgaine620) Carolyn F. wrote:
I think your librarian doesn't know what she's talking about. I rarely find her books on my library's shelves because people are READING them.

I totally agree it is the same here with the libraries. But I am lucky I have access to two libraries and one is a really big one. Also reserving is not a problem.

Karen I thank you for the replies. Nearest good thrift store is pretty far for me to drive. I am out in boonies. This library actually has none of the books. very small-seriously. I appreciate replies, but they did not have any Ellery queen either for my cozy mystery group. It is small. That is what I have to work with. I have no means to order online now since I am no longer working.Last month she did not even order a book I asked her to for cozy mystery group. I am calling today.No book sales here. You would have to live in rural Ozarks to understand. I do love it here. Beautiful, but shopping is extremely difficult, even for necessities like groceries. They do have some of her books-like 5 at another dinky library 20 miles in opposite direction, but that library is minus other stuff-even though they are all on rural library system. I was just venting my frustration and thanks for the help, but I am just in a different situation. I do buy her books up if I see them. I could do the free stuff because I have a computer reader, but I spend so much time on computer as is and though I have read a book on my computer. I am already told I am on it too much by my family. they are not wise to it if I actually have a book in my hand and can move away form the desk. You would have to walk in my moccasins to comprehend.The librarian acted horrified that I would even ask for such books. That part is weird. I will do computer if I have to as a last resort. Just time factor.

Karen Karen wrote: "I thank you for the replies. Nearest good thrift store is pretty far for me to drive. I am out in boonies. This library actually has none of the books. very small-seriously. I appreciate replies, b..."

Follow up. I called the library and she said, "we could not get them they are just outdated. I called the other library in the area in the other direction from me. Farther to drive, but they have always gotten any book I needed for a reading group I had on amazon that read really unknown authors so i think to get book through loan i need to do that library. the other librarian is not to be trusted I believe unfortunately.

message 47: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

She sounds lazy Karen. Good luck!

Karen Carolyn F. wrote: "She sounds lazy Karen. Good luck!"

thank you so much.

☯Emily  Ginder | 17977 comments Kunal wrote: "a goodish collection that contains one outstanding short story, 'The Blue Geranium'."

I just read "The Blue Geranium" and I am positive this was on PBS within the year or two. Would like to see it again to see what changes they made since it is a "short story" and I don't remember the PBS episode as being shorter than normal.

Fiona | 86 comments Just finished final story. Remembered The Blue Geranium but not the rest of the stories. Enjoyed TBG and the final story

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.