Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > [Buddy Read] In Bed with a Highlander

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7170 comments Christine, Lauren and I will be discussing In Bed with a Highlander here beginning October 7 - feel free to join in!

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace (bookslikebreathing) | 102 comments I'm definitely in. It's on my pick's list for November.

message 3: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) i am in! i have the book & would love to read it with you.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I'm looking forward to the discussion.

message 5: by Cathy (last edited Oct 31, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments I put this on hold at the library so I'll see if I get it in time to join in.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Thanks Karen. Really looking forward to it.

message 7: by Irina (new)

Irina (reetu_416) | 504 comments I'm in too.. I'll admit it i am reading this book for its cover.. :P

message 8: by Mounika (new)

Mounika (dazzlinglily) | 78 comments I'm in !! I'm in!! :)

message 9: by taita (new)

taita I'm in too.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments Eighty pages in, and I'm really enjoying it. It's been a very long time since I read historical romance, and this is reminding me how much I loved them.

message 11: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7170 comments I'm not quite that far yet, closer to 60 pages, but it has definitely sucked me in!

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I am so sucked in to this book and was up much too late reading. Every so often one of the characters would think or say something that would have me thinking "Really?! You've known this person all of two or three days!" But I was so sucked in to the story that it was always just a fleeting thought that I was able to brush aside and get back into the story. Of course, they are way to happily content at this point and I keep waiting for the other show to drop. Something bad has to happen soon to add a little drama.....

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm a bit behind and haven't started yet. Today's my birthday so I will probably only begin tomorrow.

message 14: by Christine (last edited Nov 08, 2011 09:02AM) (new)

Christine | 955 comments Happy Birthday, Lauren!

No worries. We all read at our own pace. I just lucked out to have an (almost) kid free evening yesterday and was able to get a lot more reading done than normal.

message 15: by Grace (new)

Grace (bookslikebreathing) | 102 comments I had a bit of a delay but I am starting this one tonight. Why do people order cupcakes when I want to read?

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7170 comments Belated Happy Birthday, Lauren - hope it was a good one!

I'm a little over halfway through, and I can see I'm going to have to move the 2nd and 3rd books in the series way up on the TBR! Gotta love those McCabe brothers! :)

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Thanks for the birthday wishes!
I'm on chapter 11 and really enjoying the book so far.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I finished it and really enjoyed it. However, what I was expecting to be the "big rescue" at the end was a little quick and easy if you ask me. I still just adored this book. If it weren't for the stack of library books I have checked out and another buddy read next week, I'd have jumped right into the rest of the series.

Side note: I know most authors have zero control over the covers of their books, but I thought it was pretty funny that this one is blue. Which are the colors of Duncan Cameron that Ewan had such a fit over seeing Mairin in when she first showed up on his land.

message 19: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7170 comments I finished last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will agree, Christine, that (view spoiler)

I'm definitely ready to jump into the next book, unfortunately it's going to have to wait at least until I finish this month's challenge books!

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm on chapter 34. Getting very intense and suspenseful now. Can't wait to read the end.

message 21: by Mounika (new)

Mounika (dazzlinglily) | 78 comments I just started this book today... I find this very interesting.

message 22: by taita (new)

taita Belated Happy Birthday, Lauren!

I'm on Chapter 12. I too was skeptical about some things. Not so sure an 8 year old would be so attached to a complete stranger but like others have said, it was so interesting that I was able to go past it. I'm wonder how this story will unfold and what happened to the McCabe clan. Looking forward to reading more over the weekend.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say about this book. There were some flaws, but it was still such a fun, pleasant read. It was nice to have our hero and heroine not at each others throats for the whole book, or hiding deep dark secrets from one another the whole time.

message 24: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments I just finished. I thought it was great although some of the events at the seemed to go a little too smoothly.

message 25: by taita (new)

taita I finished yesterday. Though I gave it 4 stars, I agree things went a little too smoothly and parts that could have gone in more detail went way too fast. I wouldn't have minded if the book went Gabaldon-style length. I think some parts of the story merit it. I'll very likely read the rest of the trilogy. I loved all 3 of the brothers and am curious about Rionna. It would be nice to see how Crispen turns out as a grown man too.

message 26: by Mounika (new)

Mounika (dazzlinglily) | 78 comments Nice book. Just completed it today. Can't wait to complete this series

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments So what was it about this particular story and these characters that allowed us to over look some flaws and really enjoy the book? In a different book, some of these things (like the neat and tidy rescue at the end) would have driven me nuts. Is it the writing itself? Are the characters just so likeable that you can overlook their flaws?

I'm looking forward to reading the other books and hope to fit them in next month.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I loved the characters and the romance. The McCabe brothers are similar but each has their own unique attributes and I look forward to reading their stories.
Mairin was such a spunky heroine - I loved her.
I agree that the ending was a little too tidy and I'm guessing that Cameron will play a role in future books because he didn't get his comeuppance in this one.

message 29: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2011 03:57PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7170 comments For me, I think the most important thing is that Maya Banks just writes great characters and relationships - and I use the term relationships to mean all kinds, not just romantic. The Kelly family in her KGI series, the close-knit group of family/coworkers/friends in the Sweet series, and now this series, all have great relationships and likable characters. For the most part I find her plots very good too, but when occasionally one has a few problems that make it a little weaker than normal, I can look past it because I'm still caught up in the people.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments This was my first Maya Banks book, and I'll definitely be checking out others. I agree that these characters were just plain likable. No arrogant jerks to be redeemed, no stubborn females that need to get over themselves, of characters that are either too self-centered or too stupid to care about. It was such a refreshing read.

message 31: by taita (new)

taita This was also my first Maya Banks book. I think I was able to overlook a lot of things that would normally drive me nuts because, (1) I love Highland Romances, (2) you sometimes need to do a leap of faith with historical romances, and (3) I just really liked the characters. I was somehow sucked into each of the brothers and found myself wanting to root for them.

message 32: by Ning (new)

Ning (dragonceres) | 33 comments I'm kinda late, but I just read this for my December PIFM challenge. It's also my first book by Maya Banks. I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't like it that much. The story wasn't that exciting, but what bothered me most was that the writing wasn't the best. Entire story just kind of fell flat. There didn't seem to be any chemistry either.

I'm going to give the 2nd book a try. Knowing me I'll probably read all three, but dunno how much I'll enjoy it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

In Bed with a Highlander (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maya Banks (other topics)