Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 313 (313 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I posted this book in the Vikings thread and I thought at the time...maybe because it is mostly Saxons that it shouldn't be there.

So I am putting it here. :)

Bloodfeud Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England by Richard Fletcher
Bloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon EnglandBloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England

Bloodfeud by Richard Fletcher this cover has the better blurb.

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments Thats a great book which deserves a much wider readership.

message 3: by Bernie (last edited Nov 14, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) I am currently reading the "Saxon" series by Bernard Cornwell and have just finished reading Sword Song. Any one else reading this series or have read it? I am now going to read the next installment, The Burning Land. I can't put this series down! For Christmas, I have asked for the recently released Death Of Kings.
I find that Mr.Cornwell does such a great job in these novels, It seems that I am there witnessing the development of what will be known as England first hand.
It still amazes me how authors of historical-fiction can take a fictional character, in this case, Uhtred the warlord of Alfred the Great, and tie the whole non-fiction and fiction plots together. The research must be formidable to make this type of genre believable.
Well, just wanted to throw my two cents worth on this series and wanted to know what others thought of this collection of novels. Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4) by Bernard Cornwell The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5) by Bernard Cornwell Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6) by Bernard Cornwell

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Tim wrote: "Thats a great book which deserves a much wider readership."

I tend to agree, Tim. It seems much overlooked.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Bernie, you won't get anything but praise for that series here.
I'm almost finished The Burning Land and I have Death of Kings already sitting on my night stand waiting.
I think it's a great series myself and thanks to Terri for getting me back into it. :)
(But what am I gonna do when I've read them all??)

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:00PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Bernie wrote: "I am currently reading the "Saxon" series by Bernard Cornwell and have just finished reading Sword Song. Any one else reading this series or have read it? I am now going to read the next installmen..."

My favourite series of all time, Bernie.
I only finished reading Death of Kings a couple weeks ago. It is very good, they are all very good, except I didn't like Sword Song too much. So, all very good, for my tastes, except one.
I know most people 4 star or 5 star Sword Song, so I know it is just me. I am the exception.

You may be pleased to know, Bernie, that there was a real Uhtred of Bebbenburg (Bamburgh amoung other spellings) family line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uchtred_...

You'll see an Uhtred of Bebbanburg mentioned, (apparently, as I am yet to read it) in Robert Low's new book, The Lion Wakes. Only Bebbanburg is spelled differently.
You'll also see Uhtred, earl of Northumbria mentioned in the book I linked a few posts back. Bloodfeud.

Glad you're enjoying the Saxon series so much, Bernie. Once you've finished the Saxons series, you may want to go onto the Robert Low Viking series.
Robert Low

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Dawn wrote: "Bernie, you won't get anything but praise for that series here.
I'm almost finished The Burning Land and I have Death of Kings already sitting on my night stand wait..."

You're welcome!

Answer to your question? Read the The Whale Road by Robert Low. :) (I just tried to push this series onto Bernie too..lol!)

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I was thinking when I read this that I really didn't need to add to my tbr list anymore but it's okay, The Whale Road is already on the list. :)

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Phew, glad it made it on there before the cut off. ;)

message 10: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Terri wrote: "Bernie wrote: "I am currently reading the "Saxon" series by Bernard Cornwell and have just finished reading Sword Song. Any one else reading this series or have read it? I am now going to read the ..."

Hey Terri
It's ironic you mention about the Sword Song being your least fave. Out of the 4 so far I've read, I found this the slowest. The reason for me I think was that this was the book you could pick up in the life of Uhtred and understand the story without having read the previous books.
I did read about Uhtred on the net. I've been fascinated with this series that I have checked about Alfred the Great and this particular era. You have convinced me about Robert Low, I see that he has a new book and series out that I will ask Santa to send me!

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:49PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Bernie wrote: "You have convinced me about Robert Low, I see that he has a new book and series out that I will ask Santa to send me!
..."

Hopefully Santa listens! :)

The new book is about Robert the Bruce though. The Oathsworn series is a gruesome, brutal, hilarious in parts, Viking adventure series that, as I said in my reviews of the book, felt like a cross between Uhtred and Asterix the Viking comics.
The way he knocks off characters though, is probably more like G.R.R Martin and his fantasy fiction Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) series. :)

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 12: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Terri wrote: "Bernie wrote: "You have convinced me about Robert Low, I see that he has a new book and series out that I will ask Santa to send me!
..."

Hopefully Santa listens! :)

The new book is about Robert..."

Must be the new thing.
Jack Whyte's new book and series is on "Robert" also
The Forest Laird by Jack Whyte

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (timhodkinson) | 577 comments Terri wrote: "Bernie wrote: "You have convinced me
The new book is about Robert..."
Must be the new thing.
Jack Whyte's new book and series is on "Robert" also

It must be trendy. He appears in my book "Lions of the Grail" too, though not as much as his brother Edward. Sorry for more spam but I had to say it.

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments hahaha.
hey, it's not spam if it is relevant to the discussion. :)

message 15: by Bernie (new)

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 17, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Cool.
Funny that she spent all that time on it and was proud of it and then used one wrong letter and stuffed it up. :)

message 17: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Gisela :(

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Gisela?

message 19: by Dawn (last edited Nov 17, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I think Bernie is reading your favorite series and (view spoiler)

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I just worked that out this very second and came to post. :)

Nice spoiler Dawn. I guess anyone who didn't know, knows now. ;)
Subtle as a sledge hammer. LOL!!!

I wonder...*thinking*...maybe I should do a spoiler thread and explain the beaut Goodreads spoiler feature.

This one (view spoiler)

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I'm sorry, I didn't even think about it. :(
I had it figured out in two books previous and it didn't occur to me that it would be a spoiler.
Fixed now :)

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments hehe. That's cool.

Don't read spoiler unless you've finished The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell.
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Dawn (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:25PM) (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments We're gonna write a whole conversation in spoilers now....

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments The Burning Land
:)

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Well, as we are constantly mentioning :)........we all like different books, even in a commonly liked series. So it's not that big a surprise that we don't pay attention to the same details. ;)

message 26: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 17, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Yep. No surprise at all. :o)

message 27: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Man, you gals are killing me! I want to look at your posts but with all the spoiler alerts I can't do it! Almost done Burning Land. In a couple of days I'll be finished, then I'll read and post remarks. Arggh!

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Haha, now that we know it bugs you..........we'll try and do it for the next book too!!
You can read them without ruining the end of The Burning Land. The whole conversation is about Gisela and you've already read what we're talking about. :)

message 29: by Bernie (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:14PM) (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Fhew! Thanks Dawn
I've read (view spoiler)

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I can't decide whether I'm more upset that Uhtred doesn't tell them all to piss off or that they all seem to take advantage. I have to keep reminding myself that it's all part of a really great story and it wouldn't be near as good if he changed.
I'm all set to read the entire Death of Kings this weekend.

P.S. Terri's gonna get after you to 'spoiler alert' some of your last post. :)

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Um...Bernie..:)..could you please, please, please hide some of your post? Would that be okay? Just the first sentence starting 'I've read...' and finishing 'lovely Gisela'.

Sorry about this guys, but spoilers can really ruin books for people. :(

message 32: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Dawn wrote: "I can't decide whether I'm more upset that Uhtred doesn't tell them all to piss off or that they all seem to take advantage. I have to keep reminding myself that it's all part of a really great sto..."

Hey Dawn
I searched for "spoiler alert" button and can't seem to find it or how to negotiate the spoiler feature. HELP! Before our new moderator unleashes Serpent Breath on me!!!

message 33: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) TOO LATE!!! OHHHH slow death!!

Serious - Sorry Terri, need instructions

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments *Withdraws Serpent Breath a little so Bernie can type*

Thanks for being cool about it, Bernie. :D

Someone reading Lords of the North is not going to want to know what Gisela's storyline will be before they have even met her.

RE: Spoilers
Check out the new thread I put in the first folder on the groups main menu page. :) You can even practise there. woohoo!!

I'll go find the link to the thread....

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I'm so sorry I was too late to save you Bernie! :)

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Here 'tis.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

A step by step. :D

*slings Serpent Breath over shoulder and walks off into sunset*

message 37: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm so sorry I was too late to save you Bernie! :)"

You just wanted to see the fight. ;) Watch the action unfold. hehe

message 38: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Thanks guys
Just noticed the thread! I'm trying to figure it out.

message 39: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Haha, I just wanted someone else to get in trouble too!! :D
I don't want to be selfish.....

message 40: by Bernie (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Hey Terri and Dawn
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:22PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Look here because it is not really a spoiler :) >>> (view spoiler)

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Bernie wrote: "Hey Terri and Dawn

Anytime Bernie. Us poor non-moderators have to try and stick together. We don't want Terri to unleash Serpent Breath too often!! :)

message 43: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Terri wrote: "Look here because it is not really a spoiler :) >>> [spoilers removed]"

Ooooohhh, down with the tyrant...... ;D

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments hahaha!! :D
This is an awful feeling. Like I was one of the kids mucking up and playing, and now I have become an appointed school yard monitor :(

Mind you, :0), I hate spoilers and know I wouldn't be able to resist saying something even if I wasn't a school yard monitor. ;)

message 45: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) Got it now. YA BABY! Thanks again

Now I will leave you fine ladies alone till tomorrow as now I am going to get ready to go see Puscifer with my son! MY main man Keenan!
https://store.puscifer.com/

message 46: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Puscifer...I don't know them.

At first I thought you meant Pacifier..which is a well known Aussie band (formerly known as Shihad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcCPKU...

But yeah, realised pretty quick you didn't mean Pacifier.
Enjoy Puscifer!

message 47: by Bernie (last edited Nov 19, 2011 11:45AM) (new)

Bernie Charbonneau (skigolf) The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5) by Bernard Cornwell Bernard Cornwell
Just finished. WOW! No spoiler. Just send more, please! Can I have some more, please?
Can't wait for St. Nick to drop off the new one!
In the mean time, I'm going to start the Ghengis series by Conn Iggulden that some of you guys recommended.

Genghis Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1) by Conn Iggulden Conn Iggulden

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments 4 to 4 1/2 stars! Excellent. :D

Enjoy the first of the Iggulden Khan series. Like the Cornwell Saxon series, you start with the main characters as children and then they grow and then the series goes on with them as adults.

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I finally finished Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6) by Bernard Cornwell and I loved it.
So now to return the book to the library as I already owe $4 in overdue fines. :)

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Dec 06, 2011 01:57AM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Ouch.
That is nice of you to at least take it back and pay the fine.
Many people don't want to pay fines so they keep the books and never return to the library. Even though, in the end, they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7