Specials (Uglies, #3) Specials discussion

Is anyone disopionted about the ending like me???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zo I was because she didn't end up with anyone and what happened to zane icried so much but she has some really great friends AND David

message 2: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat I think the ending was better than most YA series, because it WASN'T about 'ending up with' anyone. It had a message.

message 3: by Jada (new) - rated it 1 star

Jada The end was HORRIBLE it ruined the WHOLE story for me.

Allie I hated the ending! It should have been written better! It was the worst one 'cause of the ending! Ugh i was soo disappointed!!!

Laura I can't say I hate it but it was definitely Not where I wanted to story to go. it was a twist and it was interesting. Can't say the books were predictable at least. :)

Lauren Peterson HATED IT! She doesn't end up with anyone, and I felt unsatisfied. While the author tried to end with thinks looking up, it all just felt gloomy.

March Sophie wrote: "I think the ending was better than most YA series, because it WASN'T about 'ending up with' anyone. It had a message."

Agreed!

Taylor I'm just glad she didn't end up with David after Zane died. I was sad that he died but it was a poetic ending I think. Different and kinda beautiful. I cried for the whole day afterwards. But I can't stand David si it was a reprieve for me when she refused him. I thought it was selfish and insensitive that he would ask her to be with him right after Zane's death.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It was the worst ending EVER!

message 10: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya It was awful. I was sad when Zane died then to know she ends with David.:(

Valerie Maya wrote: "It was awful. I was sad when Zane died then to know she ends with David.:("

I felt that way. I couldn't believe how mean she was to zane and how he ended up dying. I hated it and the ending too.

Angela I LOVED the ending. I thought it was horrible the way Tally treated Zane but you have to remember she wasn't herself...not entirely. Also I always wanted her to end up being with David but she felt it to cold hearted to be with him since Zane had JUST died. They may have went into the wild together but they weren't together in that sense. Westerfeld really did an excellent job with these books and I am sorry to hear that so many of you didn't like his ending. I hope you all went on to read Extras and even Bogus to Bubbly. It really gives you more perspective about the world as he sees it could be in the future.

Odalys I really liked the book but it was sad when zane died, It made me cry for a long time because he was my favorite character

Angela Odalys wrote: "I really liked the book but it was sad when zane died, It made me cry for a long time because he was my favorite character"

I cried too. I was sad for Tally because even though she said she was repulsed by him, she still loved him. There wasn't much of a happy ending.

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Yes! everytime I think of Zane I still feel so sad and I read that like 4 years ago. :'[

Rachel i hated it :( but i still adore the series

Emsely Sophie wrote: "I think the ending was better than most YA series, because it WASN'T about 'ending up with' anyone. It had a message."

I agree 100% :)

Scarlett Well. All I care is Zane died and I felt like something died inside of me. /Lol2EmoIKno

BubblesTheMonkey I liked the ending.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I was sort of hoping for Tally to be fighting in the war so we could get a lot of action but instead she had to get captured for a month =/

message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna No i was happy with the ending i wanted her with David though i did like Zane

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ I guess I like the ending. I think that if they went with one of the competing 'systems' the new or the old, there would be a lot of complaints, so he kind of made a compromise. And I'm not a Tally fan, so I didn't really care who she ended up with.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I enjoyed the fact that Tally didn't end up with anyone. I think this book was more about the message than Tally HAVING to be attached to a boy. It was tragic on both accounts that first when Tally underwent the operation she forgot what she had with David and then went with Zane and also when she fell in love with Zane but he ended up dying. But I still feel like it was better that she ended up without a boy in the end.

george ☽ hell yeah! I so wanted Tally and David to get together! And I really didn't like Tally in this book. I thought she was a witch with a b, if you ask me!

Angela GeOrG!a :) wrote: "hell yeah! I so wanted Tally and David to get together! And I really didn't like Tally in this book. I thought she was a witch with a b, if you ask me!"

But isn't that really just how they programmed her brain? I mean it's not like she could help how she was feeling. She was brain washed by the witch that is their government. Don't get me wrong, I hated how Tally acted in Specials but it wasn't 100% her fault.

Claudia Marcela The end was too much idylic (except for Zane's death), after all those years of dumb minds, the society changes in one month? I'm not buying that. I thought it was a hurried end.

Adriana Sophie wrote: "I think the ending was better than most YA series, because it WASN'T about 'ending up with' anyone. It had a message."

I can understand how this is a good thing. Personally, I am sick of books trying to illustrate this sense of "finding the one/your one," while at the same time trying to tell a story. Not everyone is going to find someone while saving the world and it should be okay that that is the case :)

Isabelle the ending wasnt my favorite but it wasnt aweful

Sadaf I found the ending to be perfect. Bittersweet, but perfect. Yes, it was horrible that Zane died, but that was the catalyst she needed to change herself completely and the message at the end of the book, really made me think twice about the world we live and our role in it...

message 30: by Saima (last edited Apr 18, 2012 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saima Zane! 3 =(
the ending wasn't that bad because it added the suspense i needed in order to pick up the next book

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

It could of ended the same just with Zane and I would of been happy. But knowing that David stayed by her side even though they didn't end up together still bugs me. I think David was such an annoying characther I dislike him so much!!!

Kristen I was pretty disappointed with the entire series, but yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the ending either.
I started thinking there was a real plot with Dr Cable trying to take over the world, starting with Diego, but then it wasn't that way...so yeah, it was a let down.

Jasmine J this is an old discussion but i just gotta say my part somewhere.....
i loved the series.....but the ending really annoyed me i felt tally wasnt herself yet and i just felt it needed more...tally shouldve been different, i dunno i just wasnt satisfied with the ending, zane died so suddenly and tally wasnt exactly talking with Peris, i hoped to see croy a bit more in the book to
but still a series i liked a lot :)

Ilana i think that there's something to be said about the ending not tying everything up in a nice little bow. so often we feel the need to know exactly how everything gets resolved and in this book, we find out a lot but there's still a lot that's left up for grabs. to be honest, i wasn't expecting a book 4 (Extras) so when i did finally pick it up i realized that a few things that i worried about not being resolved really get answered.

Jackie Zane dies!!!! D': I literally cry every time I reach that part. But I actually really liked the ending. Tally's message was very well-constructed on Westerfeld's part. It tied up the story while threatening the expanding civilizations meanwhile, and showed that Tally finally has a sense of morality that overpowers her vanity.

Casey I really wanted her to end up with Zane in the end even though I knew that the author was never going to do that. I just really liked Zane and was super disappointed that not only do they not wind up together but ZANE DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasmine Ruigrok I thought the ending was spot on. Zane was one of those perfect I-would-do-anything-for-you characters, and he did just that: he died. Tally liked David first, and she only ended up with Zane because she turned up in Pretty Town. I did like Zane, but he did have to die in order for Tally to be with David, the first person she loved.

Rachel I was happy with the ultimate ending because i liked David from the start but i wish i could've seen more of what there future was like together...

Cookiemonster454136 I hated the ending. It ruined everything. I hated the fact that Zane died when Tally clearly liked him, I hated the fact that Shay lost her special abilities and... omg I could rant forever about how horribel the ending was but for now, I have other things to do

message 40: by Rachel (last edited Apr 24, 2013 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) I felt unsatisfied. I just said, "That's it?!" And Zane died so my life is over. And that note that Tally left, ugh that was annoying.

Pegs099 Such a crappy ending ...but not just the ending for that mater, Tally was annoying during the whole book and i hated Shay for doing that to her, Zane was the only character in the books i cared about and he ends up dead....i finished the book an hour ago and im so angry right now....i needed something else, something more !!

BubblesTheMonkey I liked the end. It wasn't the best ever but I thought it was pretty dramatic.

message 43: by Novie Chryss (last edited May 19, 2013 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Novie Chryss I just finished reading the book and I admit that I am still a wreck because of Zane's death. If zane hadn't died, I would be disappointed with the ending wholeheartedly. I mean, tally being with david and all, but then I realized that she didn't really ended up with david. (AND I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT SHE ENDED UP WITH DAVID). It would've sucked big time if there was a hint of romance between david and tally at the end, but there was none, right? And I'm guessing that tally still loves zane even after he died.

message 44: by Rachel (last edited May 19, 2013 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) Yes I closed the book and said: "That's it? That's it? That's it? NO! Zane! I feel as though the ending was too abrupt. I keep playfully thinking Westerfeld saw what page he was on and said "Ok, pack it up! I've had enough of the story. I'm tired. Let me just spit out a short ending that gives absolutely no information on the resolve or what will happen to Tally now." The ending left so much open. This book could easily be started up again. The ending wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I didn't like how Tally just decided to basically leave society. Her letter was pretty good except the whole we are going to save the world part. I mean really? Come on. Naïvete at it's best (or worst).

Marisa2013 ***SPOILER!!!****
I was sooo happy when in the next book Tally and David ended up together..l.i could picture them running of into the woods together...but was disappointed in the books on the story line, it was dragging after the 2nd one!!

Erica It's a good story that got hijacked by Mother Nature.
"Hello, my name is Tally Youngblood and I'm going to spend the rest of my life protecting trees! Because trees are special! So special! Trees!"
I threw the book against the wall. If Scott Westerfield cares so much about trees he should've saved the paper it's printed on.
And was I the only person who's disappointed that Tally never 'got it'? She blames the Rusties for everything and doesn't see that she's standing on top of this giant Hill of Symbolic Flowers in book one. And I was expecting something like this:
"But David, I'll never be pretty."
"Don't you see, Tally?" He traced the lines of her face. "You don't need their surgery. Your big nose, your frizzy hair-you're not pretty. You're not special. You're beautiful."
It's obvious to the rest of us!

Jessica Thompson I loved this entire series. Well, books 2-4, but book 1 was pretty good. I just couldn't take the anticipation of Tally getting busted about the betrayal. Plot lines like that are excellent when executed correctly, and SW did just that, I just can't take those kind. They emotionally wreck me sometimes.

I also think that the ending to this series made total sense. If you paid attention to the entire series, how we saw the natural world through Tally's eyes, and how she started to assimilate to it all the way to her Special days, it was within her character to become a part of that world completely. There was no where else for her to go but the wild with David and her friends. And Extras, through the eyes of someone else, solidified Tally's place in the world for me.
I understand why people got annoyed. Talking about the environment in a story has been done billions of times before. A hero who decides to do something about it, also billions of times before. But the entire journey, the evolution of her inner person from superficial to raw and natural, called for it to end like this. She went through so many inner and outer changes, but they all pointed towards developing a strong inner strength and resilience to match her strong and resilient body, her affinity towards the natural world.
And the only reason she doesn't think she's beautiful is because she's screwed up so many times. Pain is basically her friend until she ends up with David in Extras.
That's just how I took this story, Specials, and Tally as a whole.

Erica Jessica wrote: "I loved this entire series. Well, books 2-4, but book 1 was pretty good. I just couldn't take the anticipation of Tally getting busted about the betrayal. Plot lines like that are excellent when ex..."
Well said, Jessica.

message 49: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Dremsa I really enjoyed the ending! The way the book described the dinosaur eating David was TMI. I thought the book should talk more about Abe Lincoln but it was a pretty good book.

message 50: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Dremsa ******SPOILER********

« previous 1