Holocaust and genocide discussion

Holocaust

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 6 comments I have begun to read RESCUED FROM THE REICH by Bryan Mark Rigg, the story of how a Nazi officer saved the life of the Lubavticher Rebbe.

Has anyone here read it yet?

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1 comments I have not, is it good so far?

message 3: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 6 comments Tedious in places. I scanned most of it.

message 4: by Monico (new)

Monico Neck | 1 comments I Just finish Sammy: Child Survivor of the Holocaust, Must read, simple but is an incredible story

message 5: by Mariloli (new)

Mariloli OS | 7 comments will add it to my "to read" pile, I just finished Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. It was amazing, by far in my top 5.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I also read Frankl's book and gave it 5 stars. His second book is on my tbr. I will look up Sammy... I've read so my holocaust memoirs, what's one more?

message 7: by Mariloli (new)

Mariloli OS | 7 comments have you read elie wiesel's night? it's #1 on my list.

message 8: by Helen (last edited Sep 08, 2011 07:57AM) (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) I just finished reading The Last Jew of Treblinka. Horrific and powerful. A very quick read, simply written, I finished it in one day. The descriptions of what the Nazis did to destroy the bodies so that there would be no evidence of mass murder, the incomprehensible atrocity of the tasks assigned to the Jewish slave workers...it is just beyond belief. There are photographs of the mass graves, much more enormous than I ever imagined, like football fields, but excavated four stories down. I've never met a survivor from Treblinka, and now I know why. Very few survived.

message 9: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Belair (belairpatrick) | 1 comments I, just purchased Trap with a green fence,and Margot 47574. If anyone has read I would like feedback. Trap with a Green Fence Survival in Treblinka by Richard Glazar Richard Glazar

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Hustead (ahustead) | 5 comments I am almost finished with "in our hearts we were giants" based on a family of dwarfs who were experimented on over and over by Dr. Mengela. I have to say I'm highly impressed with this book. I've read countless books on the holocaust but never one quite like this. Highly recommended to all!

message 11: by Mariloli (new)

Mariloli OS | 7 comments Amy wrote: "I am almost finished with "in our hearts we were giants" based on a family of dwarfs who were experimented on over and over by Dr. Mengela. I have to say I'm highly impressed with this book. I've r..."

wao had never heard of that book, i'm also adding it to my "to read" pile, seems like such an interesting perspective on the holocaust.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Hustead (ahustead) | 5 comments 2 more recommendations for the group:
Jacobs Courage (truly one of my favorites of all times) written by Charles Weinblatt (Goodreads author)
Surviving Hitler: A boy in the nazi death camps written by Andrea Warren

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca McBride | 2 comments This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it right. Amy, does that book give background on Nazi genetic theories (in a readable way)?

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy Hustead (ahustead) | 5 comments Hi Rebecca - apologies for the delay. I believe it does but I have to say the one I'm currently reading does more so. Auschwitz a doctors eyewitness account is thus far so well written! Horrific details but I'm highly impressed and bummed I waited so long to read this! has anyone else read this?

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Amy wrote: "Hi Rebecca - apologies for the delay. I believe it does but I have to say the one I'm currently reading does more so. Auschwitz a doctors eyewitness account is thus far so well written! Horrific de..."

Are you talking about Surviving Hitler?

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca McBride | 2 comments Thanks, Amy. I just looked up Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account on Amazon and may get it on my Kindle. I am interested in the medical/genetic issues because my book, Traveling Between the Lines: Europe in 1938, will be used in my local high school curriculum this year, and the biology department will take the opportunity to explore the Nazis' genetic theories.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy Hustead (ahustead) | 5 comments Rebecca do let me know what you think once you've read it. And i do hope you enjoy it! I can tell you I've reached a point where I simply don't know what to read next as the last few I've read have been so good and I need something thats similar topic and reads well. Grateful for any suggestions :)

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy Hustead (ahustead) | 5 comments I just noticed the other Amy and her question . Apologies don't know how I overlooked that. I'm not sure I know about a surviving hitler novel, Is that the actual title?

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) Have you read "The Good Old Days?" It's more or less the history of one event, a mass killing, told through the diaries and letter home of perpetrators and bystanders. Mind blowing.

message 20: by Roma (new)

Roma | 5 comments I have, though years ago. Mind blowing, indeed.

message 21: by Libby (new)

Libby | 1 comments Amy wrote: "Hi Rebecca - apologies for the delay. I believe it does but I have to say the one I'm currently reading does more so. Auschwitz a doctors eyewitness account is thus far so well written! Horrific de..."

I have read Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account. It was a few years ago, but I remember it pretty clearly. One of the most fascinating accounts. I had a hard time putting it down.

message 22: by Yeny (new)

Yeny (yestfl) | 2 comments Do you guys have any older books in PDF to share with me about this topic? They are so hard to find! Thanks! xoxoxoxo

message 23: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 11 comments Has anyone read/seen the Pianist? It is one of my all time favorites!

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) The Pianist is incredible.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments The Pianist is awesome....how about Escape from Sobibor? AWESOME!!!