Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Regular or Decaf?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Regular.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Regular. Three shots over ice with light cream. Strong and cold. Mmm.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't drink coffee. I've tried, tried, tried. Tried tried tried. I just don't like the way it tastes. What's wrong with me?

I kneel to the diet coke god instead.:)

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) Yuck, RA. I don't know how you can drink that swill.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Why'd you call this group Terminal Coffee if you don't like coffee? Weirdo.

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments Must ... have ... hazelnut ...

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (bigalreno) | 6 comments I do not like coffee but i like frappicinose or however you spell it. Every morning i have a coca-cola. I have the Hecho en Mexico kind. No corn syrup, does not stick to teeth =good

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 21 comments Decaf. And sometimes even that keeps me up.

shellyindallas Decaf--with cream and sugar. All of the calories and coffee breath, without any of the benefits of caffeine. I'm just too stressed to begin with to add a stimulant to the mix.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Regular, usually in the form of a mocha. I drink coffee for the caffeine.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Regular, black, at least three cups on an empty stomach before I can start the day.

After noon I like tea, lemon zinger, jasmine, chamomile.

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Really really dark roast with a touch of half and half. At least two cups before I can talk to anyone.

I enjoy it so much that sometimes I get excited when I'm going to bed, just thinking that it's almost time for coffee again in the morning. Okay, maybe I'm addicted.

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Cawfee cawfee cawfee, don't even talk to me until I've had my coffee. The worst time of the day is waiting for the water to boil. Dark dark roast with half and half. Ahhhh. One huge mug in the morning and I'm set. That's probably 2.5 cups.

Once I met up with Richard at his parents house, and I drank 3-4 cups of their coffee but just couldn't get thru the day, dragging my feet, and I started wondering if maybe I was sick. Turns out they only had decaf and thought they could get away without regular. After 2 days they confessed.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Huh, is that so, I'd think it was the other way around!

Books Ring Mah Bell Either. black.
Just not straight Starbucks coffee... I have to put cream and sugar in it, it always tastes burned or something to me.

I love tea as well...

and Pepsi

and Guinness.

message 16: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Starbucks horridly over-roasts their beans. Trying to drink a cup of their brew black is slow torture. It's coffee for people who hate coffee.

I don't do decaf. It in no way interests me. Give me a black light roast and I'll sip on cup after cup throughout the day.

I'm not a big soda fan, but should there be some jack daniels around I have been known to mix it with coke.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Petra's right about the caffeine. The darker roasts have been roasted longer, losing caffeine along the way. I like full-flavored coffee, but my favorite lightish coffee that's full of caffeine is a Costa Rican Tarrazu. Mm.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, Starbucks tastes burnt to me, too. Yuck.

It is a dark and rainy morning here in the northwest. It was soooo hard to get out of bed. I think I hear a mocha calling my name from the Royal Bean down the road...

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Decaf, regular makes me heart sick. But, I only like it if it tastes like melted coffee ice cream anyway. You know, like a caramel macchiato (sp) with way extra caramel. If I ever get a Starbucks coffee (which usually I get the fizzy grapefruit juice in the bottle) I get a decaff, single shot (so there isn't too much icky coffee taste:), caramel macchiato with extra caramel.

I have a very immature palate.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Montambo, your drink sounds just like mine, except I also put some butter caramel on top, and the "light" cream is VERY light - just a splash- to cut the acidity.

I'm convinced that Starbucks burns their beans on purpose, to entice you to buy a creamy, sugary mocha instead of cheap ol' black coffee. For a drink like that, I go to Starbucks, but for black coffee, I prefer Peet's.

message 21: by Weinz (new)

Weinz | 4 comments I'm with you RA and Sherri, no coffee for me. I've tried as well. The Mocha, the latte, vanilla, and of all things in between. blech. I'm a strict Green Tea drinker. Full caff and so yummy.

Someone once said they didn't feel like a REAL adult until they liked the taste of coffee.

Still waiting.

message 22: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Oct 20, 2008 10:41AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've decided I'm never gonna like beer, and I don't care, Michelle.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've decided I'm never going to like wine, either. No Jane Winebox visiting my house, thank you.

So no coffee or wine...Michelle, I guess I'll never be a real grownup:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've discovered I like Cointreau. Mmm!
And I've discovered that most bar drinks are horrible bastardizations of what they are supposed to be.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And I've discovered that most bar drinks are horrible bastardizations of what they are supposed to be.

Don't worry, Jacks, after seven or eight they taste just fine...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RA, after seven or eight I'd be tasting them coming back up.

message 27: by RandomAnthony (last edited Oct 20, 2008 02:17PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Coming up they would still taste better than wine to me.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I used to sell Nespresso machines when I worked at this little boutique. I only like the Ristretto. The Arpeggio and Roma might do in a pinch, but the Ristretto is my favorite.

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Diet Coke is my caffeine source of choice. I'll occasionally have a coffee. When I do, I like it strong and unadulterated with things like sugar, cream, or sissy flavors.

message 30: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Oct 21, 2008 10:22PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mmm, sissy flavors...

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I need your help. I'm done drinking diet coke. I hate the chemicals and I think they're fucking me up. But I NEED caffeine.

So teach me how to drink coffee, please.

1. What should I order at a coffee shop?
2. Which one has the fewest calories? Are there a lot of calories in coffee?
3. What about making coffee at home? Tips?

I am counting on your expertise, people. Thanks.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

I suggest you switch to cold brew coffee. You can get a Toddy system for about 40 dollars online (I think) and you make a pound of beans into a gallon of brew. From this brew you only need to use an ounce or two mixed with milk, hot milk, water and ice, or hot water and flavor, sugar, etc, to make fool proof beverages.
Cold brew is less acidic and easier on the stomach, and less of a pain than dealing with Mr. Coffee on a daily basis. Plus the homemade iced latte will make a nice segue from Diet Coke to the world of coffee.

There are lots of calories in the syrups and whole milk used in starbucks-esque lattes to go, so I recommend you switch to home-brew. This way your $$$$ won't dissipate quite as quickly, either.

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Nov 07, 2008 01:19PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) 1. If you don't like the taste of coffee, but you want caffeine, why not drink black tea?

2. Plain black coffee is calorie-free. It's the milk and sugar that adds calories.

3. I think French press coffee is the best, and only with freshly roasted and ground beans. I do not roast my own beans because roasters are expensive but I've had freshly roasted coffee and it's divine.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, Sarah is right. The fresher the roasted beans, the mucho mas bueno the cafe. Find a local roaster in town - then you get the added benefit of supporting local business.

I'm such a dork.

message 35: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Regular with no add-ons. I go through about a pot a day at work.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You like iced tea already, RA. Why not just have that?

message 37: by Jane (new)

Jane Randomanthony,I don't know about what you should order or how you should make it. Best advice I can give is start small if you don't normally drink it (8 oz or 12 oz.) And as far as make it at home, the more grinds you use the darker and stronger it will be. Calories? The less crap you put in it (i.e. sugar, syrups, etc.) the better. Keep it simple.

I like mine dark, with half and half. Two cups every morning.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

Check out the big brain on Jackie!

You could make a big ol pot of something delicious and caffeine-laden and fill it with tons of honey while its hot...

message 39: by RandomAnthony (last edited Nov 07, 2008 07:53PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Thanks, people...I'll give it a shot.

Jacks, I tend to drink the white tea/citrus tea for different purposes....it usually doesn't have caffeine...and I drink it pretty much all day, which I wouldn't want to do with coffee/diet coke. I hope that makes sense:)

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I got some Dunkin Donuts coffee today at Costco...made it when I got home...took the caffeine edge off but still tastes like punk rock. Must experiment.:)

When did coffee get so complicated?

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Dunkin Donuts makes good coffee. If you don't like coffee, Anthony, just drink tea.

I like my coffee dark and strong so I use more grounds and less water. I have a hard time ordering plain coffee in restaurants because it always tastes watered down.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I was a diet coke fiend for quite a few years eventually the taste of coffee wasn't so bad so I switched. But it has to be regular, have to have something to jump start the body/

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori So RA, you don't or you do like coffee?

Whoever said the French press makes the best, I agree. But it's best with freshly ground beans. I used to get good beans and grind a week's worth so I didn't have to do it every morning - I mean really, I can't expend that kind of energy until I've had my cuppa! But I mostly use my Melitta filter and make one large Starbucks-size mug. https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp... They are at every supermarket. I get most of my coffee from Costco, French Roast. You can grind the beans there and it's a reasonable price. I KNOW you go to Costco. :)

Coffee disagrees with Richard's stomach so he's a big tea drinker - black tea in the morning, it's got the most caffeine I think.

message 44: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I like it. I definitely like it more than diet coke. I think.

I had a couple headache waves although I had a couple cups of coffee today. I'm slightly irritable, too, which I'm trying to keep in check and have half-succeeded. I checked online, though, and I read that coffee will have more caffeine than diet coke...so I'm hoping with one more cup I'll be good to go. Maybe it's a chemical other than caffeine in diet coke that I'm missing. Scary thought.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oooh, coffee with a shot is YUMMY. I like Amaretto, Bailey's, or Godiva liquer.

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori Or Irish Bailey's Cream.

But I don't think RA should be adding shots to his coffee first thing in the morning to wake up. :P

A splash of half and half for me please. And if I ran out the day before and forgot to buy it I'm in panic mode. Skim milk, yech.

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I like the way you're thinkin', Charley!:)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Bailey's in coffee on a Sunday morning has worked for me.

message 50: by Sheila (new)

Sheila mmmmm. Always a good way to start a Sunday.

I had plain old hazelnut non-dairy in my cup this morning. No latte run to McDonald's today - just what my coffee maker could produce.

« previous 1 3 4