What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > sci-fi type book set in London of the future?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Barbara | 3 comments I have only a vague recollection of having read a review of this book; it was a pretty positive review. The setting was London, future, and I can't remember much more except I wanted to read it! As I recall, the author has a pretty strong (underground?) following. The book came out within the last 2 or 3 years, I think.
Anyone?

message 2: by Kristin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Kristin | 10 comments This is surely too old, but thought I'd give it a try: The Wanting Seed by Anthony Burgess?

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Erm, Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve?

message 4: by Deb (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Deb | 48 comments Try "The End of Mr Y" or (less probably) PopCo by Scarlett Thomas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Mr-Y-Scar...

message 5: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 220 comments The Children of Men by P. D. James?
Summary:
The human race has become infertile, and the last generation to be born is now adult. Civilization itself is crumbling as suicide and despair become commonplace. Oxford historian Theodore Faron, apathetic toward a future without a future, spends most of his time reminiscing. Then he is approached by Julian, a bright, attractive woman who wants him to help get her an audience with his cousin, the powerful Warden of England. She and her band of unlikely revolutionaries may just awaken his desire to live . . . and they may also hold the key to survival for the human race.

message 6: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 191 comments Unlundun by China Mielville (sp?)?

message 7: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Barbara | 3 comments Thank you all for your thoughts. But, no, it's none of the above. Ah, well, I'll keep looking.
Barbara

message 8: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Ellis | 2 comments Is it The Traveler by John Twelve Hawkes?

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Barbara | 3 comments Thanks, Ellis. No, not this either (I just went to Amazon to read the review.) Thanks for trying!
Barbara

message 10: by Cassiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Cassiel These may be a stretch: Looking For Jake (post apocalypic London story) by China Mieville, Neverwhere (not set in future but in alt. London) by Neil Gaiman.
Very big stretch: Dance of the Goblins (future London) by Jaq Hawkins

message 11: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 191 comments Tanglewreck by Jeanette Winterson?

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz | 1 comments Is it "The Book of Dave" by Will Self?

Summary from The New Yorker:
In this tale of an embittered taxi-driver whose psychotic rantings become the creed of a blighted people hundreds of years after his death, Self unleashes his apparently boundless misanthropy on modern London, the origins of religion, and the postapocalyptic future. Dave Rudman, driven mad by divorce and ill-prescribed antidepressants, thinks he is God and writes a vitriolic screed, which he has printed on metal plates and buries in a garden. Discovered by the survivors of a catastrophic flood and adopted as a gospel, it demands the complete separation of mothers and fathers (children to spend exactly half the week with each). Switching between a narrative of Dave's unlucky life and the phonetically rendered "Mokni" speech of his wretched followers, Self achieves an elaborate vision of vicious superstition and hopeless struggle, but his insights never quite repay the effort of engaging with his stylistic pyrotechnics.

message 13: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (CeciAlbiceleste) | 5 comments Alan Moore's V for Vendetta? It's much older than that but the movie was out a few years ago.

message 14: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 66 comments Was it the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde? The first one is "The Eyre Affair" then I think the next one is "The Well of Lost Plots"

message 15: by Symbol (last edited Mar 20, 2008 08:40PM) (new)

Symbol | 14 comments The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman comes to mind. It's set in a futuristic London where viruses are used to educate people. The main character is immune to the viruses and has to learn everything the old-fashioned way.

I think it might have been published under another title as well. But I'm not sure. I'll let you know if I come across an alternate title for it.

message 16: by Min (new)

Min (unktehi) | 22 comments The Child Garden - a fantastic book, btw - has been out for quite a while. I originally read it back in the 90's, so it is at least 15 years old.

Geoff Ryman does also have two other books set in London - Lust: or No Harm Done and 253: A Novel. Lust is about a gay man who has the ability to make his fantasies come true. 253 is unusual because it takes place on a subway car. There are 253 passengers and each story contains 253 words.

Abigail (42stitches) | 22 comments Maybe something by Kage Baker. Some of her company Series is set in future London.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Barbara, it looks like there have been a lot of suggestions since your last response. Are any of these the book you're looking for?

Stephanie "Jedigal" (Jedigal) | 3 comments And here's another one for you to check, what about "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr? It's not a new book, but I have seen new editions out in the stores recently...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 220 comments No, The Alienist is historical fiction, set in New York City.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 193 comments I was thinking Neil Gaiman too....

Stephanie "Jedigal" (Jedigal) | 3 comments Oh, thanks Jackie! I think I am mixing up and adding together two different Caleb Carr books - the historical fiction set in New York with a much newer book that surprised me by being so SciFi.....

OOPS!

message 23: by Carlos (new)

Carlos (lowlatentinhibition) | 5 comments Stephanie, speaking of Caleb Carr, have you read the sequel to the Alienist : The Angel of Darkness?

message 24: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments I've nothing new to add--I'm thinking it's _Neverwhere_ by Neil Gaiman, as well.

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess?????

message 26: by Becky (last edited Feb 11, 2009 09:53PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Might it be Vurt by Jeff Noon? It's oldish, from the 90's though.

From a review of "Vurt":

"Noon takes the reader through the drug riddled streets of future London. Everyone is addicted to feathers. You tickle your tongue with a feather and depending on the color of the feather you go on a certain trip. If you like to eat aliens, if you worship the game cat, if you think people should mate and have offspring with dogs, if you have ever wanted to be so close to your lover that your hair grows together for twenty feet, or if you just like early psychedelic cyber-punk, read this book. It is crazy good."

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Divided Kingdom by Rupert Thomson

message 28: by Carmen (last edited Feb 12, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Carmen | 46 comments Could it be Tunnels by Roderick Gordon?
It came out in 2007 and takes place in London, mainly underground.

message 29: by Laura (last edited Feb 13, 2009 02:00AM) (new)

Laura | 33 comments What about Un Lun Dun by China Mielville?

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 30 comments Plague 99 by Jean Ure?

message 31: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 25 comments It might be Neverwhere A Novel by Neil Gaiman.

message 32: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 25 comments Aha, apparently I was not the only one to think this.

message 33: by Kaitlynne (new)

Kaitlynne (kaitey) | 5 comments Is it the Declaration by Gemma Malley?

message 34: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21854 comments Mod
Barbara, are you still looking for this or did you find it?