Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Amazon Tips > How to hit #1 on Amazon...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,393 (2393 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48

message 1: by Todd Fonseca (last edited Oct 14, 2008 07:08PM) (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments I don't know how many folks are using the "tagging" feature on Amazon to help raise their visibility, but I started a blog to leverage this feature.

A number of authors who have participated are now listed near or at the top of a number of Amazon customer communities!
The best part is it's all free!

Check out http://tagmybookonamazon.wordpress.com and add your book!

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric | 4 comments This seems like a great idea. I will be thinking about the tags that I would like before I submit my book, "Skinny Dipping with the Savior".

message 3: by Chelle (new)

Chelle Cordero (chellecordero) | 15 comments great advice

message 4: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 334 comments Mod
I went to see what it was about, and hope you approve me for Insufficient Mating Material, Todd. I went to click the links in good faith of the other authors on the page, and they do have a lot of excellent tags.

I don't understand your restriction of just three tags. It's so easy to give all the tags on their home page.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

Insufficient Mating Material

message 5: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments Hi all, wow thanks for all the great responses. I've been out of town the last four days and trying to catch up.
Regarding just 3 tags, I guess I wanted to put a limit so folks wouldn't request too many as it would become a little challenging to keep up.
However, most folks, when they visit the other authors sites tend to look at what has already been tagged and added those as well.
Always looking for feedback to update the content so keep the ideas coming.
I'll be updating the site in the next couple of days with the latest requests.
Thanks all!

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments There are many Amazon features that are useful to authors. I write book reviews and use my book title as my signature...Nina Bennett, author of Forgotten Tears..... I also have 2 lists on Amazon, one of which is related to my book.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 5 comments Hi everyone, great info here, thanks for the tips. Nina also has the right idea, I learnt this a while back. Amazon don't let you add links, but people will find you if you use your author name or website title in your sign in. I use both cjbooks and authorchristinejones, people just place the names into Google search and have found me on the web.

Keep those tips coming, they are much appreciated.
Blessings CJ

P.S Cheek out Shadow Forest Authors
http://www.shadowforestauthors.com

message 8: by Darren (new)

Darren Burton (sherlock77) | 21 comments You can add a product link to your book sales page on Amazon when you write a review. Usually best placed at the end of the review. People can click straight on the link and be taken directly to the Amazon page that lists your book.

message 9: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Has everyone signed up to Amazon Connect on Amazon.com? If not, you have to get someone to confirm you're the author (publisher/agent/etc) and then you can have a blog there. I put my book trailer video in my blog so there's a link to it from my book page at Amazon.com

message 10: by Norene (new)

Norene | 6 comments Thanks to Darren for the Product Link suggestion!
Also thanks to Gina for the tip on signing up to Amazon Connect. I'll check out the terrific tips on this list - very helpful!

Norene Gilletz, author of Norene's Healthy Kitchen
http://www.gourmania.com

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Gina Thanks for letting us know about Amazon Connect. I just signed up.

Todd Thanks for accepting my book to your Tags program. It really works, my ratings have zoomed on Amazon.

Dee Marie

message 12: by Todd Fonseca (last edited Oct 28, 2008 06:01AM) (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments Dee Marie,

Glad it is working for you!
We now have over 50 authors (wow!) and over 2500 hits on the site.

Thanks to all the authors help, my book is now the #1 most popular tagged book on the young adult customer community (thanks everyone!).

Tell your author friends to come join the blog and we can all help each other.

Thanks again.
Todd A Fonseca, author of The Time Cavern
view the : book trailer

visit The Time Cavern: Official Website

message 13: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Well, I have been tagging like mad. Amazon is a dangerous place for me... I can't go there without buying at least three books. I've got a lot of winter reading sorted out today :o)

message 14: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments Gina,
I saw you submitted your book - I'll try to add to the website tonight and tag away.
The site seems to have exploded suddenly! It was just at 2500 hits and now is close to 2900 (400 in one day?!).
So I'm a little behind...
I know what you mean about buying these books. Since I started the blog, the books looked so good, I just started buying some and have added a review page on the blog (I post reviews on goodreads, amazon, B&N, mobileread.com, as well as the blog).
Thanks for the support!
Todd

message 15: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments Todd,
I was wondering why my tags don't seem to be working, any thoughts?

KB

message 16: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments I submitted my book this morning.
Thanks ofr the tip.

message 17: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments Kristin,
Hmm, what do you mean by "not working"?
What's happening?
T

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments I tried to have my tag like a month ago, it did not take. I had some friends that read my book tag it, they said they entered the tags, but nothing yet. One told me it would take a couple of weeks, that was well more then a couple of weeks ago. I also noticed you were saying something about having to approve them, I was wondering if I am in the wrong ball park lol

KB

message 19: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Strange, tags are immediate. I just went to your book "What Murphy Didn't know" on amazon and tagged "motivational" and it showed up.
To have a tag "count" the person has to log in to their Amazon account, make a tag or tags, and they also must have ordered something from Amazon from that account at some time in history. Once you've purchased from Amazon, your tags will show up on the overall count. If the account you tag from has not purchased anything, the tag will not appear until at least one purchase (of anything) is made.
Take a look on your book's site on Amazon and see if you see the motivational tag I left.
Todd

message 20: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments I added my book yesterday and this 'Your comment is awaiting moderation' is displayed by my name.

What is the next step?
Do I have add some tags to amazon for other books first?

message 21: by Kathy-Diane (new)

Kathy-Diane I recently signed up for Amazon connect. The tip on tags is great. Thanks.

Best
Kathy-Diane
http://kathy-dianeleveille.com

message 22: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments Todd, I will look. Thanks! I think I need to spend more time on it. I have been working on this online store...maybe I should take a breather lol.

KB

message 23: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) David, I just went ahead and tagged like mad while I was still awaiting moderation. There are a lot of books, so you may as well start now :o)

message 24: by Nikiel (new)

Nikiel N. | 2 comments I just submitted my book. Thanks for the assistance Todd.

message 25: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments David and Gina,
You are up now on the site and I have tagged you both!
Todd

message 26: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments Kathy,
You're up too.
T

message 27: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments Todd, I submitted my book too, thanks! I went ahead and tried to tag all the books that were listed as well. Hope it helps everyone. Best to you!

KB

message 28: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments Thank you Todd.
I did some tagging and will do some more on the weekend.

message 29: by Dee (last edited Oct 31, 2008 04:34AM) (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 460 comments Hey Kristin,

I added four new tags to What Murphy Didn't Know (self improvement, advice, inspirational and murphey law). Apparently Amazon.com does not allow apostrophe's in their tags.

Hope it helps to generate additional hits :]

Dee Marie

message 30: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments Thanks Dee!

Why are my other group not like this one... Everyone helps everyone out:)

KB

message 31: by Rowena (new)

I've been keeping up to date tagging all the new books as they are added, along with the older ones.

Thank you very much indeed to everyone who has tagged my books:

Forced Mate
Knight's Fork.

I've also lost a few tags. Do know that if you click a book you've previously tagged, you undo the first tag. If there is a brown check mark by a tag, it means you've already tagged it.

Best wishes
Rowena Cherry

message 32: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments I've also been tagging. I do appreciate the way this group works together, sharing resources and ideas, and willing to help one another. I didn't really realize how important multiple tags are.
Another Amazon idea for us-create lists. I have 2 lists on Amazon. Lists can be as tightly defined-ex:perinatal loss- or broad-ex: bereavement. Lists also get tagged and will appear on various pages.

message 33: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments Holy smoke guys, the website is growing fast. I've got to put in some serious time today to update the blog with new authors, tags, etc.!
Thanks again all for the support.
I'm experimenting with some additional tagging "tricks" which would bring your book up with image on popular books sites (similar to the "customer also bought list").
This could create even more visibility but it's not yet ready for prime time (what I'm currently doing is pretty labor intensive, once I find the secret sauce I'll let everyone know and post on the website).
Todd
Tag Books Here!

message 34: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Your book is up now!
Happy tagging all!
Todd

message 35: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments I just wanted to touch base with everyone on this. How is it working for you?

Amazon sent me an email stating they rejected some of my tags because they were in my title, yet they still seem to be there. Has anyone else received similar feedback from Amazon?

Warning: sour grapes coming.
I am wondering how many people have bothered to tag other books. I taged everyone in the list, as of last week, but picked up only 11 new checks on my book.

message 36: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I tagged everyone, and I'm going to do a weekly (or at the very least fortnightly) check to pick up newcomers. I didn't receive as many tags as I gave, but I suppose it's bound to happen that some will register, tag once and then never return. Still, a few tags is better than none. :o)

I didn't get an email from Amazon, and tags I added myself included a word in my title.

message 37: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments Your right about some being better than none, so thanks to all those wonderful people who tagged my book. :)

message 38: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 49 comments Hey guys I am so far behind on any kind of tagging, I have been in the hosp. Is there a way we can do a discussion link and list everyones book in one place? Thanks Shirley

Forever Promised

message 39: by Rowena (new)

Gina,
Thank you for tagging Forced Mate, Insufficient Mating Material, and Knight's Fork.

I really appreciate it, and have tagged yours.

The thing to know, for those who go back, as I do, is that tags can be undone, so always doublecheck. If there is already a check mark, and you check it, it will go away, which means that you have removed a tag.

Best wishes,
Rowena

message 40: by Rowena (last edited Nov 20, 2008 03:31AM) (new)

David,

More people may have tagged your book than you think. Have you followed your tags to see where your book is showing up in the associated communities?

Oh, my! One of your tags is "dragons". Eragon has 242 tags. Numbers drop off quickly. Dear me, now there is a challenge. What fun it would be to find you that many friends for Fire Drakes.

People can vote a book up or down there, too.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry Insufficient Mating Material by Rowena Cherry

message 41: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments I've been tagging also. Rowena, that is a very good point about checking a tag that is already checked.

message 42: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Rowena, thanks for tagging Utamaro Revealed, I very much appreciate it.

I didn't realise people could vote the tag score up or down. I'd never noticed the plus and minus boxes above each book in the listing before.

message 43: by Rowena (new)

Gina,

I went back to check, and my three tags were there for art, art history, and whatever the other one was. I checked an extra two just to prove I've been! In my opinion, your friends ought to check Japanese woodblock, or something else because your books could surely be the top rated book in a more refined community.

message 44: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 489 comments I tag everyone as soon as I post them on the site! Unfortunately, not everyone is participating as you all have mentioned. It's probably 30 to 40% payback on tags. I'll continue to send out a reminder each week or so to the authors that have signed up along with my recent reviews from authors on the list (just finished "The River" and "Soul Identity").
Thanks all for participating!

message 45: by Rai (new)

Rai | 86 comments Hello everyone, I am happy to see this discussion is here on GoodReads. I am an active participant in Todd's "Tag You're It" site. I love it & I know it is helping my book gain exposure, because I am seeing it pop up way more often now on Amazon.

Thank-you to everyone who is participating & holding up their end of the bargain. I check the site weekly for new books (just came from there) & I make sure that I tag all the other books, both for the straight tags & the tag other books feature. I appreciate the help & I am happy to give it as well. It's important that everyone participates fully so that it is fair :)

btw - I have ordered Todd's book, The Time Cavern because it sounds like such a great read & it has been getting excellent reviews. I also have a 12-year stepson who is an avid reader who I will be sharing it with :)

Thanks for starting this Todd, it's such a huge help!!

Rai Aren, co-author of Secret of the Sands

message 46: by Rowena (new)

Sue!!!

Waving wildly because we are friends all over Ning.com...

Go back to the beginning of this thread and check out Todd's links and explanation, because no one says it more eloquently.

If your book is on Amazon, there are "tags". The place to add tags is approx half way down your book's page. If you don't know about tags, you may not have added any.

Tags are keywords for the search engines and for people searching Amazon.

Check the Discussions to see if people are having trouble finding what you write (eg: Beta male heroes, Romance, Happy Endings). Chose subject words or genre words (my choice of "sperm donor" might have been foolish on my part!).

The more people appear (by tagging) to agree that your book is indeed .... whatever your tags suggest it is about.... the higher your book ranks in Amazon searches, and maybe in other rankings as well.

As with all things, you'll probably "give" more tags to others than you receive, but you are still better off that if you hadn't participated and learned in the first place.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

message 47: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 49 comments I have been tagging, and will try to keep updated. I am so glad to meet genuine people not cut throats!

message 48: by Rowena (new)

Hey,
It may not mean much, but it seems to me that we are friends, so ought we to be Amazon-Connect friends, too?

And, talking of friendship, Todd was kind enough to befriend me on LibraryThing. I'd be delighted to be friends there, too.

Look for Fishpond.co.nz It may be New Zealand, but if it carries your books, know that you as an author can do a certain amount to add reviews and promote yourself on the antipodean Amazon.

Best!
Rowena Cherry

message 49: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 49 comments Rowena I am a computer embryo. It takes me a while. I am on library things also. Are you on Shelfari? Or should I ask is every body on Library things and shelfari.

How do you get on Amazon Connect?

message 50: by G.R. (last edited Nov 21, 2008 04:40PM) (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Shirley, I'm on Shelfari, but haven't got up to much there. I joined Amazon Connect, but I'm not on Library Thing.

The Amazon Connect form is buried deep in the Amazonian Jungle... it took me ages to find it. So here's a link, in case you get lost as I did - Amazon Connect. You have to give them publisher/agent/editor details to be approved, and they sign you up very quickly once you do.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48