Antes de ser libres Antes de ser libres discussion

wat you think about this book??

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lakshmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lakshmy i love this book because u learn about wat happend to others people in life..

Nicole I didn't like this book very well it was a little boring and I think the best part about it was the ending.

Jessica713 i love this book because it was a very touching story.

Georgia Oldham I thought this book was eye opening and interesting, but it was a little slow and boring.

Lectus The book is pretty short and it doesn't deepen in the character because she is actually writing about her life during the era of Trujillo.

To actually like it you must know more about Trujillo and what his dictatorship was like because this book barely touches it. The story is light and easy to follow if you are a fan of Julia Alvarez. I think is one of the first books she wrote, "In the time of the butterflies" is more powerful.

message 6: by Bella (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bella Saberlina Once one reads "The Feast of the Goat" one understands other Trujillo related books and the situation of the people at the time better. (There are a bunch of people of that time that are still alive, even one of the men that killed Trujillo; Ask your neighbor or a relative, if Dominican, about that time. It brings the experience closer to home and you understand better the situation the character was in.)

message 7: by Marosa (new)

Marosa Jorge I agree with some comments here. The book is very light, boring. I think this book was inspired in (or written after) a gorgeous book I read, Si la mar fuera de tinta, vivencias de una niña tras la caída de la dictadura trujillista. Mayra Báez de Jiménez is the author, daughter of Miguel A. Báez Díaz who was involved in the plot to get rid of dictator Trujillo. The book is really touchy, fascinating and is a true story. More than 300 pages, pictures. When you read both you notice the similarity in the plot...but a great difference! I think four editions now. Highly recommend that book...

thewanderingjew I think the book was meant to inspire the reader to learn more about the Dominican Republic's history. I read it to screen it for my grandchild. In a classroom setting this book could really lead to many great discussions. Between parent and child, the same would be true.

Lectus I think you'd need to relate to that period of time in the Dominican Republic because it talks about Trujillo and his dictatorship.

It was a nice book kind of similar to In the time of the butterflies but less deep.

thewanderingjew After I finished, I looked up the history.

message 11: by Rita (last edited May 08, 2014 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita Gardner I grew up in the D.R. during the Trujillo era, so was interested in reading Julia Alvarez's book (since I've read most all of her work. I think "In the Time of the Butterflies" was better in terms of describing that world and time. I just finished writing my memoir titled "The Coconut Latitudes: Secrets, Storms and Survival in the Caribbean" about my family's unusual journey on the island. FB: www.facebook.com/ritamgardner
(Publish date Sept 2014 but available for pre-order from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I wouldn't do this "blatant promotion" except that I'm thrilled there are others interested in the Dominican Republic and its history.

message 12: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita Gardner Marosa wrote: "I agree with some comments here. The book is very light, boring. I think this book was inspired in (or written after) a gorgeous book I read, Si la mar fuera de tinta, vivencias de una niña tras l..."

Marosa, I'm very interested in the book you mention. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 13: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita Gardner Marosa, is "Si la mar fuera de tinta" available in English? And if so, do you know the title? Thanks.

message 14: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita Gardner Bella wrote: "Once one reads "The Feast of the Goat" one understands other Trujillo related books and the situation of the people at the time better. (There are a bunch of people of that time that are still aliv..."

Bella - thanks for your comments. I grew up in the "era de Trujillo" - and I think "The Feast of the Goat", although fiction, really tells the horrible story of Trujillo's reach.