Dune Fanatics discussion

Newer Series of Dune

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tulara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 11 comments Are we including the prequel books of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson?
I love the original Dune books by Frank Herbert of course.
The spice must flow!
Janice

message 2: by Lou (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments I'd have to say, "Absolutely!" Nothing like going and reading the pre-history of the Jihad, learning why Baron Harkonnen is such a fat pig, covering the origins and demise of the machines and meks.

What more could you ask for?!

The pre-Dune "histories" are what got me to reading them all again.

Add 'em!!!

--Wag--

message 3: by Arian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Arian Reyes (arianreyes) | 1 comments Mod
Why not? The House Trilogy series are excellent addition to the Dune universe. It explains a lot of things about what happened before the time of Paul Muad'Dib. And the addition of the Legends of Dune Trilogy added a bit of history that climaxed at the coming of Muad'Dib. A great read indeed!

message 4: by Lou (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments Right now I'm on "Chapterhouse." Herbert was quite the writer but it seemed that he would write a book that was outstanding and then one which wasn't so great. "Dune" was great, "Messiah" was not so great, "Children" was pretty dang good, "God" a little less so. "Heretics" broke the pattern and wasn't all that great and "Chapterhouse" is proving to be pretty decent.

The two prequel trilogies were pretty sharp. My only complaint about the Machine Wars trilogy was that it seemed a bit repetitive but I liked the theme of people evolving under duress. I also liked the way it told of the origins of so many things although the time sense was a little overly compressed, I thought.

The Houses prelude was very well done. Excellent commentary on origins. I especially liked how they described why Baron Harkonnen got fat! The kind of justice an animal in any age should receive! I was dying laughing over that one!

Just some preliminary thoughts.

--Wag--

message 5: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

James the prequels are not worth the paper they are printed on. they practically take place in a different universe from the books of Frank Herbert, not to mention the complete lack of literary style or depth of the originals.

message 6: by Tulara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 11 comments I take it you didn't like the series, then.
As I understand it, these books were taken from notes of Frank Herbert. These are different books, I agree, but they do not take away from the original series at all.
They stand on their own. I enjoyed reading them - well, I am listening to Sandworms right now as I got it on CD.
What was your favorite original series book? I think mine had to be the first one, Dune. I loved the relationship with Paul and his mother, Jessica the best. I did like Chapterhouse too.

message 7: by Lou (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments No doubt, the "prequels" were not nearly the quality of Frank Herbert's original double trilogy. Still, they were suitably imaginative.

--Wag--

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know...

I'm about halfway through "Butlerian Jihad". It's definitely a different writing style (akin to Niven, almost, with a flavoring of Herbert), but I've found it very good so far.

I think that they have to be considered as different books, to some extent, because they are not trying to copy Herbert, but rather finish and extend his ideas in their own way. From what I know, I think that the "prequels" are more of "true" SciFi, whereas the originals were much more of a SciFi/Fantasy mix.

--Kyle

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard | 1 comments Well, I have read the original six, the three "House" books, the Bulterian Jihad, and now I am on the Machine Crusade. I will have to admit that the quality of writing is going downhill fast, but I still cannot quit reading them.

The main thing that bothers me is the occasional (albeit rare) contradiction to something stated in a previous book. For example, the statement in on of the house books about Tio Holtzman being a complete genius who burned himself out never fully understanding his own inventions does not seem to jive with the description of him in the machine books. Perhaps I am not remembering the passage correctly, but it does seem inconsistent. Well, perhaps that is too picky.

Overall, I like the whole series and believe it to be some of the most important Sci-Fi ever written.

--Richard

message 10: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments Still waiting for "Sandworms" to come out in paperback. They weren't QUITE good enough to justify the hardcover addition to my collection!

--Wag--

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed the House books, but I found the Butlerian Jihad books were just...unengaging. It's made me leery of picking up the latest two books.

As for my favorite book from the originals, Dune would have to be it. However, I have an abiding love for Children of Dune as well. I love the ending too much.

message 12: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments The stories are still good, even if the writing isn't nearly as good as Frank Herbert's was. Nice that Brian and Kevin aren't trying to be Frank, at least.

Sandworms is coming out in paperback in June or July. Will be nice to see how they end it!

--Wag--

message 13: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 11 comments http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap...
Another Dune movie? Saw this on Google Entertainment.
I liked the SciFi miniseries.

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Just the fact that we've got more Dune pleases me greatly!
For sure, they have a different style than Frank's but I love them just the same. They are based on Frank's original notes, Frank's vision. Of course they are vastly different than the original Dune series; they are of different times. For example, the Butlerian Jihad happened 10,000 years prior to Dune, of course it would be a different universe, people places and things evolve.
One of the things I like about Brian's interpretation of the events of Dune is that it an easy read and gives me a better view of the Duneverse before and after the original series. They have slaked my thirst and curiosity of events hinted at by Frank's original works.
I've read them all and I found it to be an extremely satisfying read. Rarely do I find a series that comes full circle and leaves me completely fulfilled.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael | 1 comments I have to say, I feel like they're just milking it now. Paul of Dune seems like a cheap way to keep the series alive.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Maybe so, but Paul of Dune was still a good read. Set in the seven years between Dune and Dune Messiah, I saw a side of Paul I'd never seen before, dark, cold and ugly but realistic.

message 17: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments Just picked up Sandworms. Looking forward to reading it!

--Wag--

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) You won't be disappointed. I absolutely loved it; it all comes full circle.

message 19: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 11 comments I just started Paul of Dune and I am loving it. The story goes on.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I thought it was great. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
I just hope there's more to come...

message 21: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments With the money they're making? Of COURSE there will be more! :-)

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) That's true, what was I thinking! LOL
When Brian and Kevin published their earlier Dune works, it stimulated an new found interest in the original Dune series also, making 'Dune' the single most purchased sci-fi novel of all time. Who would give that up?
As long as they are still good, I'll buy them.

message 23: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments LMAO!

--Wag--

message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan | 2 comments I have read the six original, the 2 sets of prequel's, as well as the the "final two" of the original six. Being a life long fan who has read them all many times, the work by Brian and Kevin is a nice addition of the Dune Universe. They don't come close to the depth or power the original Dune book has. Not much does, including the last five. The first book is a thought provoking, powerful book. But as story telling goes, the rest of the books are just interesting stories that I enjoy reading.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

ll160528 wrote: "New Dune is coming out this summer. Is everyone excited?"

What "new" Dune? The series is completed. Prequels, super-prequels, and the series "grand finale".

All done.

message 26: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 11 comments New Dune? No, I didn't know. Where can I find out about it? thanks for the info!
Janice

message 27: by Prester (new)

Prester | 1 comments Actually, "Winds of Dune" is the sequel to "Dune Messiah". "Throne of Dune", (working title for now), is the sequel for "Children of Dune". And yes; I'm very much anticipating the release of both! Not to mention the other future "DUNE" novels. I think Anderson and Herbert have done a great job adding to the "DUNE" Legacy.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I second that. I can't wait for the new release. Nice way to end the summer.

message 29: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments How much more of a good drug can we stand? We're all addicted to the spice, face it!

:-)

--Wag--

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Right! LOL
The Spice Must Flow....

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I know I'll like this one for the same reason I liked Paul of Dune, it shows us a time we previous have no details for, although we know the history sparingly.

Do you know the release date?

message 32: by Jackie (last edited Oct 23, 2009 01:55PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I just received The Winds of Dune and will be reading it after I finish the last two novels n the First Chronicles of Amber.
I agree the newer ones are different than the original six, in that the style is an easy read. Maybe because I was already steeped in the Duniverse, but I found them easy to follow, easy to understand. Maybe because I just want more Dune, I don't know. But I enjoyed them all immensely.

I was awed by the job they did with Hunters and Sandworms. I was completely satisfied with the end of the series. A rare occurence. I'd be interested to see what you think when you finish them.

message 33: by Jackie (last edited Oct 23, 2009 01:57PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm starting The Winds of Dune right now while I have a little time before my guys come home for dinner.
I like to skim through the 'Other Books by' section and I see a new Dune novel is forthcoming: The Throne of Dune, originally named Irulan of Dune, which should prove quite interesting. And yet another one after that: Leto of Dune who's title will invariable be changed also since Winds was originally Jessica of Dune.

•4 Heroes of Dune
◦4.1 Paul of Dune
◦4.2 The Winds of Dune
◦4.3 The Throne of Dune
◦4.4 Leto of Dune

I can't find any info regarding the storyline of either Throne or Leto. If anyone gets some info on them, can they please let me know?

message 34: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Mayer (timothymayer) | 1 comments I've always considered the Brian Herbert DUNE novels fan fiction. Brian did a good bio on his dad, but his writing style just isn't up to his pop's.

message 35: by Tulara (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 11 comments I'll look forward to the Leto book. Thanks so much for the info!! I finished Winds of Dune and I enjoyed the story.

message 36: by Jackie (last edited Oct 24, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Tim, yes, Brian's style is very different, but I think it appeals to many because of that very thing; he is a much easier read than Frank ever was. I've read other novels by Frank and I hated them. Dune was the only thing I loved by him.
I have a different opinion, and do not consider it 'fan fiction' since they used Frank's own notes to create the newer series, something a fan would never have access to. Not to be bitchy, but I think that's insulting. Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion.

message 37: by Karol (new)

Karol (karolsojko) | 2 comments Jackie, the fact that they had Frank's notes doesn't really make them think like Frank and we shouldn't expect those books to be fully equal to the saga written by Frank Herbert. My point is that every human being is different and even though it's his son he didn't pass his philosophy and point of view onto him.

Notes are just clues and directions in which the story would go, but I agree with Tim, you can create 1000s of version based on those notes so I consider it fan fiction as well.

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Karol, Tim, I hear what you're saying. Brian is not Frank, I get that, and it's apparent in the writing style. I still like the newer series.

message 39: by Drew (new)

Drew Engman (Drewster58) | 1 comments I've really enjoyed the new Dune books, and as someone else said, they are what got me rereading all the old ones, reading the "interquels" between them.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm on The Winds of Dune right now and totally loving it. The original series was set over vast distances of time and mentions events from the long dead past. I'd always wanted to know more about those times. I'm pleased that we have the opportunity read about them and that they are filled with the same kinds of philosophies and observations as the originals.

message 41: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments I wouldn't call it fan fiction either. I'd call it a son glomming on to the fame and wealth of his father's success.

And there is nothing wrong with that! ;-)

The fill-ins by Brian are not the same as the Frank Herbert stories. I haven't read a Frank book that I didn't like. All great writing. Brian maintains a high degree of integrity to the original stories during his writing and that's a very very good thing.

Brian's work is not just like his father's, of course. Nor should anyone expect it to be. Complaining that he's not as good as or that the stories are somehow inferior are ludicrous. It's strictly opinion at best. How could it possible be deemed as "right" or "wrong" or "better" or "worse?" It can't be.

If you enjoy it for what it is, great. If you don't, that's great too. I've encountered people who don't care for the Frank Herbert originals at all but they love the Brian stories plenty. (Next thing you know, people will make the ludicrous suggestion that these are those who don't have the intellect to appreciate the originals. I laugh in your faces in advance!)

Thankfully, we all dance to the songs we love and are not compelled to march to the time of another's drum.

--Wag--

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Well said, Lou!

I just finished The Winds of Dune and loved it. What I like about these inter-quels is knowing our heroes more deeply, what motivates them. There's always feints within feints within feints in Dune. They add more dimension to the story and characters. I LOVE THEM.

message 43: by Jeffnyc (new)

Jeffnyc | 2 comments James wrote: "the prequels are not worth the paper they are printed on. they practically take place in a different universe from the books of Frank Herbert, not to mention the complete lack of literary style or ..."

AMEN James!!!! Brian Herbert and Anderson should be ashamed!

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Definitely a gloming on fame, Tolkien's son did it and now even a member of the Stoker family did it with a new Dracula novel.

message 45: by Lou (new)

Lou (louwags) | 25 comments James, Jeffrey: It's just a friggin' story! ;-)

--Wag--

message 46: by Tim (new)

Tim Bridge (timbridge) | 1 comments James wrote: "the prequels are not worth the paper they are printed on. they practically take place in a different universe from the books of Frank Herbert, not to mention the complete lack of literary style or ..."

I am on the fence about if I am happy the prequels and sequels were written. I like and appreciate the explanation and closure that comes from them, but they just don't have that extra "something" that is present in the original series and make the Dune books what they are. God Emporer had this "something" even more than the rest and that makes it my favorite.

However, I read ample reviews before reading the -quels and expected this so by no means was I disappointed.

I recommend them only to the experienced Dune fan salivating for more. They will satisfy this demanding craving, indeed. But, IMHO, the budding, new fan is best off reading the originals first.

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Definitely read the originals in order and first! I think to read the prequels first would ruin the whole experience.

message 48: by Tee (new)

Tee | 8 comments The Spice must flow but we have yet to learn when it was discovered and what effects spice had on the first users. What prompted the Sisterhood to conceive of a "breeding program" in the first place? Why did they feel a need for a male-bene jesserit they could control: control to do what? What is the genesis of the Fremen culture?
Who were the Zanzunni wanderers?
What would have happened if Alia could have been saved from her possession?
So many unanswered questions.

We need more Dune! We want more Dune! Somehow, there will be more Dune.

message 49: by Jackie (last edited Sep 25, 2010 01:58PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Tee,
You're going to get your wish, in part:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Herbert and Anderson plan to publish a trilogy about "the formation of the Bene Gesserit, the Mentats, the Suk Doctors, the Spacing Guild and the Navigators, as well as the solidifying of the Corrino imperium."

message 50: by Tee (new)

Tee | 8 comments Why has no studio tackled "God Emperor of Dune"? That would be the perfect companion series to "Children of Dune".

« previous 1