What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Group Feedback + Report Spam > Please change title/topic to "Solved"

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvette (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Yvette | 19 comments Hi everyone,

It would be helpful if once your book is found you would change the topic to solved. This will help people to bypass the already solved topics and go on to help others whose books are still unsolved.

Thanks everyone! Happy Reading!

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks Yvette. I've wanted to post this exact post but haven't done so! I just put SOLVED! in front of my original topic title; that way, people will still know what the book query is about in case they're wondering about the same book. The answers might help people in the future who are looking for books, but, for those of us there to help find books for others, we can then skip the already solved ones.

I also think it would be helpful to have the directions to put SOLVED in front of a title when a book has been found in this group's description.

message 3: by Yvette (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Yvette | 19 comments Yes, that would be helpful. Great idea!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37356 comments Mod
I'd like to urge people, either the OP or mods, to add the "[s]" for solved at the end of every header which has been solved. In certain views, the folder that a book has been shelved in (in this case SOLVED) does not show up in the header, but it's still very useful to know if something has been solved or is still unsolved.

Thanks!

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Actually, the [s] at the end of the header indicates that the book has been shelved. To indicate the book has been solved, move it to the SOLVED folder, please.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The [s] is very helpful when looking at threads!

Justanotherbiblophile | 1698 comments So, what's the difference between shelved and put into a proper folder?

ie: when is it useful to have [s] and is it more useful to have 'SOLVED' in the subject line (maybe as a result for searches?)

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Kate wrote: "Actually, the [s] at the end of the header indicates that the book has been shelved. To indicate the book has been solved, move it to the SOLVED folder, please."

Oh....I just saw this. I didn't know, I thought it meant Solved.

So is [s] different from /s?

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Shelved means that we have posted the book to the group Bookshelf. (You can see it on the right screen, close to the top.) Included with the book when it is shelved is a link to the thread it solved. Some books have been sought multiple times Invitation to the Game being one. If you click on the bookshelf, then do a search for that book, then hit Edit and you'll see that it is listed as "Read, YA, Asked-for-more-than-once" plus you'll see a list of the different threads that were searching for that book. If I remember correctly, there are about 5 or maybe 6 different threads for it.

The Solved folder is just that--and it's broken down by Children's/YA, Adult Fiction, Other Fiction, and Non-Fiction, so that we know what classification the book is. (Although sometimes that's kind of a judgment call on our parts, especially for fiction.)

Does that answer the question as to what the /s means?

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) actually, I still don't know what /s means

When I move a thread to the Solved folder, sometimes I just move it. But I try to make time to add the book to the group bookshelves, and if I do so, I use the [s].

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
One of the moderators puts /s instead of [s] to indicate that the book has been shelved.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited May 19, 2014 11:04AM) (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... it's been solved message #7

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) 12 has been done

message 14: by Nadine (last edited Oct 23, 2015 06:53PM) (new)

Nadine | 23 comments I guess we can put SOLVED for general query book as well? What about bookshelves, since there will probably several books that fits the query.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No, we don't mark "requests for books in general" as solved, although if the original poster no longer wants to receive recommendations, we can close the thread.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1698 comments So, maybe it should be 'CLOSED' for general requests?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "So, maybe it should be 'CLOSED' for general requests?"

It's so rare that we actually close a thread that contains general requests. We pretty much only do it if the OP asks for it to be closed. Otherwise we don't really care if people keep making recommendations to a general requests thread, even if the OP has left the group. In some cases these recommendations may be interesting to other people as well as the OP.

There should be a little lock next to a thread which has been closed, although it may not be visible in all views. (This is sitewide, not just in this group.)

message 18: by Volkun (new)

Volkun (wolfcreed) | 132 comments Thanks for the reminder!