Cats discussion

Start Here > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tracy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Tracy (strangelogik) | 5 comments Mod
Hi everyone, just wanted to welcome you all to our little cat-loving group. I'm Tracy and this past New Years Resolution was to read as many books with cats as characters as I could. I've read some of Cleavland Amory's books, as well as many non-fiction/history-of books regarding my favorite animal - the cat. Please introduce yourself so we can all get to know one another. Meow!

The King of the Groovy (I'm SO groovalicious~) (TheKingoftheGroovyGrove) | 3 comments Hello! So glad I found this group. I love cats to pieces =) I have plenty of friends to invite and I know they'll help me come up with even more great kitty books to add to the library. Btw, didn't mean to say that WE were reading the Tailchaser book. I meant that I was, but I kind of added it by accident. Sorry =\ Thanks for starting this group Tracy! Mew!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

add a book called " For The Love Of Cats!", author not known(to me!) it woudn't let me add it. very good book explaining cats.

message 4: by Karen & Gerard (new)

Karen & Gerard (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekzemek) | 8 comments Hi fellow catlovers! I think cats are just amazing soft furry creatures. I love them! I like the cat picture for this group too--it's great! I wonder what book that cat is reading. I really enjoyed a devotional book titled "What My Cat Taught Me About Life" by Niki Anderson. The lesson I remember most that was really most helpful to me was to take time to play!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 7 comments Hello fellow feline fanciers! Are you open to reading children's and young adult fiction about cats as well? I know some purr-fectly good titles.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 7 comments Kirstykat, I like that name. Maybe I'll be KristaKat, or Krista the Krazy KATalouger.

message 7: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 1 comments Thank you for the invite Krista! It's great to be in the company of other cat lovers. I am owned by three kitties, Ramona, Nic and Victor. :) You can see Victor in my avatar as well... by the end of the month, he'll be one year old. I also love cat books, and will try and add a few soon.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

hee hee, my teacher is in this group... WEIRD!!!!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Hello, I am new to the group and am a huge cat lover, my little tuxedo is like my my child... Would love suggestions for any good cat books. Has anyone read Dewey, the little library cat, if so, what did you think??

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My choir teacher has, ugh 5 cats i think. And my mom grew up with at the most at one time , 10 cats (i was always amazed they could fit that many, but apparently they could :) ).
I have 5 cats currently

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbourner) | 2 comments I am reading Dewey right now. It is FANTASTIC!!! Of course, I worked in a library through high school and college, so my opinion is a wee bit biased.

message 12: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 3 comments i also have 10 - and a dog. it sounds like a lot, but it's amazing that sometimes you can be in a room and not see one cat. then again, when we go to bed, they all seem to avail themselves of the bed and my husband and i sleep in the mose contorted positions!

message 13: by Christa (new)

Christa (tritta) | 2 comments Just finished Dewey. Loved it!!! Cried a bit, but it was such a great story.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Thanks for the feedback, I will have to read that one.. I like inspirational especially when it involves a cat!! lol :) Heather

message 15: by schmoozie (new)

schmoozie | 1 comments H1! I love cats more than any other animal, although I love all animals. I'm looking forward to reading all the great suggestions on this website. I have a question...I added some books to the "read" and "to read" list. Am I not supposed to do that? I'm not sure exactly how this works. Thanks!

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2 comments Hi! I'm so happy that I found this group. I'm going to pick up Dewey with a B&N gift card that I got for Xmas, and it will be fun to chat about it with other cat people.

message 17: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (gatakitty) | 1 comments Judy, I just finished reading Dewey the other day. Your only regret will be that there's no more to read. I didn't want to leave Dewey's world when the book was done!

BTW, they're already talking about making a Dewey movie with Meryl Streep or Helen Hunt as Vicki. Personally, I think Mary Kay Place is a better fit, but the real make-or-break casting will be whoever plays the role of Dewey. Without a VERY special cat in the title role, there will be no movie.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2 comments Excellent! I can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for the tip Ginny.

Ginny wrote: "Judy, I just finished reading Dewey the other day. Your only regret will be that there's no more to read. I didn't want to leave Dewey's world when the book was done!"

message 19: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Hoopes | 2 comments Hi everyone,
I wanted to let you know that my new book Catch the Cat is now available.
It is a funny romp for kids of all ages...
Aaron Hoopes

Catch the Cat by Aaron Hoopes

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Warriors by Erin Hunter.

message 21: by Deeken (new)

Deeken They are awesome. I posted the names of the main series in another toipic.

message 22: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (bookboss) Hello-I'm Hilary. I love cats and have 3 right now (and also two dogs, but cats are my fav). I am planning to read Dewey too, and have a few other cat books on my huge TBR list :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone, I'm Katarina. I have 2 male cats, Blacky and Smoky. They have just turned two, but have been with me for about 7 months now. They're British Shorthairs and super cute, soft and cuddly.
Sometimes they do get on my nerves, indoor kittys want to be entertained, but I love them to bits ;)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Rhonda wrote: "i also have 10"

You have 10 (!!!) cats??? How do you do it?!
Are you breeding them?

message 25: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Barrett (elfspirit) | 4 comments Hi, I'm Connie, and I have three cats. Duffy and Gracie are littermates, 11 years old. Duffy is black and Gracie is gray and white. They are both mostly Siamese and look and sound it. Bridey is 12. She is a tabby with a lot of Abyssinian. All are rescued cats. Call me their servant.

message 26: by Terri (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:20PM) (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments Hello all!

Read about Thisbe my dear cat in her own memoir
"The Tale of Thisbe - An Extraordinary Cat" on Smashwords for only $.99.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 27: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments Has anyone out there read my novel, Children of Bast, available at amazon.com? It is free this month at smashwords.com. If you have read it, please send me some feedback. If not, read it!

message 28: by Terri (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments LOVE IT!!!! Haven't finished it but what I have read is great - tough going back and forth on the language translations but after a while one gets it.

message 29: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments Thank you Terri.

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments Fred, do you know how to upload an eBook to Amazon? I thought being on Smashwords would get me there as I am on Barnes & Noble but it's not...just wondering. Thanks!

message 31: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments Terri, go to createspace.com. Sign up, and you can publish and automatically go on amazon. Follow the prompts and you should be all right. If not, lemme no!

message 32: by Terri (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments Frederick wrote: "Terri, go to createspace.com. Sign up, and you can publish and automatically go on amazon. Follow the prompts and you should be all right. If not, lemme no!"

Thanks! Done! Waiting to be reviewed and released (business days and all)

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Hello everyone. I love cats and love reading about them. One of my favorite series is Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series. I'm looking forward to reading some of the books that I see suggested here.

message 34: by Ilana (new)

Ilana (lamort) Hello, I love cat and anything to do with them. I thought I would share my blog because my last post was all about cat and I thought some of you might enjoy it.

http://nyx5.blogspot.com/

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!

Hope this group is still active because I can't find anyone worshiping cats! I love cats, I have had at least a cat since I can remember. I now have two furry babies, Mimi(Lily) and Jane, and another four living back with my family, which are the ones I grew up with and miss dearly. :)

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Welcome, Vaiolet!

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna (anna3101) | 5 comments Welcome Vaiolet! I joined this group for the very same reason - I love cats, to me they are the most beautiful and intelligent animals. I sooo much want to get a second cat but I need to pursuade my partner first. I'm doing my best! :)

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 6 comments It's about time I got around to introducing myself as I've been lurking for far too long! :) Summer's a crazy time of year for me, but it's heading into autumn, so I have more time to think.

I have one baby in my house - an orange named Blaze. He's 16 now but doesn't act his age. I truly think it was the best thing to happen to me when I crossed paths with him, just a little six week-old bundle of fluff, so many years ago!

message 39: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments I got half way through "Dewey" but realized he would die in the end. I had to stop. Cats have owned me for sixteen years, and I cannot abide the death of one. When my beloved Millie needs to leave, I know I'll be a basket case forever. Am I just stupid? Melodramatic? Silly? Dunno. Just know I would cry for days if I read that Dewey died. It is a great book!

message 40: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Hello everyone! Just found this group and am exstatic over it. I am the proud kitty mom to Ruth Edwina(a white and black striped tiger, female), Philip Thomas(a grey and white tuxedo, male and quite a big boy), Henry Robert(my Russian Blue, male) and my newest baby Pearl Mary(a black and white long-haired tuxedo). They are the loves of my life and my pride and joy. I always enjoyed reading Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who books. I'm so addicted to them. Sad that she passed and hope someone can pick up where she left off.

message 41: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments Welcome to us, Doreen. We are cat people who welcome all to our clowder. Lie down with us and purr a little. Meow!

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3 comments I just found out that a group of cats, in addition to being called a clowder, could also be called a "glaring." >^..^<

message 43: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments A glaring! Wow! How appropriate; they can and do GLARE! Thanks for the info.

message 44: by SeaShore (new)

SeaShore | 37 comments Frederick wrote: "I got half way through "Dewey" but realized he would die in the end. I had to stop. Cats have owned me for sixteen years, and I cannot abide the death of one. When my beloved Millie needs to leave,..."

I had the same feeling.. Left unfinished.

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Frederick wrote: "I got half way through "Dewey" but realized he would die in the end. I had to stop. Cats have owned me for sixteen years, and I cannot abide the death of one. When my beloved Millie needs to leave,..."

I've never been able to read Dewey because I knew how it would end. I have a hard time reading about any animal dying or suffering. And I'm the same way about my cat, Tara. Don't know how I'd handle losing her.

message 46: by SeaShore (new)

SeaShore | 37 comments Grief is a challenge and even preparing for or anticipating death of one's pet can be painful. takes time.

message 47: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 19 comments I don't keep up, so this is belated. I lost my Millie in January, 2014. I was a basket case for months, and even now when I pass by the vets office where she left me, I get a twinge of grief. She had a stroke and didn't know me when she died. That I loved her is without doubt. I had her for almost 20 years.

We had another cat when Millie died, a gorgeous Burmese the color of a Hershey bar with green eyes. His name is Cody and he's a rescue. Sweetest guy you'll ever find.

A little over a year ago I wanted another cat. My excuse was that Cody needed a companion. We went to a shelter, and this little black fluff would not let us alone. He screamed his meows and climbed the bars of his cage. I took him out and he cuddled as if nesting in my arms. Needless to say, he came home with us. Cody was cranky about it, but he got over it.

We named our new guy Gaylord after the main character in my novel "Children of Bast." As he grew we saw he was going to be a big cat, and we were correct: he's mostly Maine Coon and Cody looks UP at him. But, Gaylord is so sweet. He never sees a stranger. People visit and he's cuddling with them instantly.

Gaylord does not replace Millie, but he and Cody have taken the sharpness out of my grief. I know I'm sort of crazy when it comes to cats, but they are, for me, the most fascinating animals alive.

Sorry I'm so long winded.

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments So sorry about Millie, Frederick, but glad that you found Gaylord. Cats really are great companions.

message 49: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Francis | 10 comments Sorry that you lost Millie. I have some idea of what you must have felt, I lost my dog, Nell, suddenly almost two years now and I still miss her terribly.
I have a rescue cat, Dewie, who is now five years old, and he used to play with her.
I grew up with cats and I can still remember each and every one of them.
As you say, Gaylord is not a replacement for Millie, he is just someone else who has come along to share your love and life.
I have a fridge magnet that says 'My cat was sent from Heaven Above with Sandpaper Kisses and a Heart full of love.'
They will always leave a little piece inside of us, no matter where they may be.

message 50: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (ravenrabit) | 1 comments Hi folks! Just joined this group. (First group I've joined on Goodreads yay!)

I'm Natasha, and one of my life goals is to become a Cat Lady. (But without the hoarder mental illness.) I have a weakness for books that have cats on the cover, especially murder mysteries with cats on the cover! Its been responsible for my reading some really enjoyable books.

I started reading Tailchaser's Song this week and I feel like I've read it already, but I might just be confusing it with the Warriors series. Then I feel like no, I'm not confusing it and I did read it separately. I'm going to keep reading it just in case, can't hurt to reread a good book anyway!

« previous 1