The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > All Hallow's Read

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2827 comments Have you guys seen this Neil Gaiman idea for All Hallows Read?

What fun. I always go reverse trick or treating on Halloween, but I might as well give out books or scary stories instead of cookies.

What book would you gift someone else? I was thinking House of Leaves if I thought the person could get through it.

message 2: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Neil Gaiman was on this weeks episode of The Guild.

message 3: by Nevan (last edited Sep 09, 2011 08:44PM) (new)

Nevan | 143 comments If only I had a friend who reads...

I'd probably give a Lovecraft anthology. He never fails to give me chills.

It is a mistake to fancy that horror is associated inextricably with darkness, silence, and solitude. I found it in the glare of mid-afternoon, in the clangour of a metropolis...

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4111 comments The neighborhood kids already "hate" me because I don't buy the crap they sell for their schools. I think handing out books for Halloween might push my house into egging territory.

Still, I like the idea. :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2827 comments Nevan wrote: "If only I had a friend who reads..."
what? You have us!

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon Sprunk | 40 comments Nevan wrote: "I'd probably give a Lovecraft anthology. He never fails to give me chills."

Damn good idea. Spread the Love(craft)!

message 7: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Matt wrote: "I must be getting old, what is reverse trick-or-treating?"

I'm imagining people leaving their houses to hound children for candy.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2827 comments Ahem. Reverse trick-or-treating is when I make cookies or candy and go knocking on doors in costume. Thanks for defending me Tom! :P

message 9: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Oct 06, 2012 05:03PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2827 comments Bumping this - any scary reads planned for this month?

message 10: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I'm passing out Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid to all the kids.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2827 comments Aloha wrote: "I'm passing out Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid to all the kids."
Haha, you'll be everyone's favorite!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

What a great idea, would like to read some lovecraft I'v never read any of his stories, or maybe some poe, nothing too scary though, I have to sleep with the landing light on since my love of horror when I was younger, sad but true lol.

message 13: by Gabe (new)

Gabe (top_hat) | 16 comments I loved John Dies at the End and I am super excited to read the sequel - This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don’t Touch It - around this Halloween.

message 14: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I usually go Shelley and write something scary for Halloween, then I give it to my friends. If had to give out something old, It would be The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, or something else by Irving. He and Poe will always be the masters of horror to me, and everybody already knows Poe.

I finally got my roommate to read "The Call of Cthulhu," but he got an old radio production off of iTunes instead of a print version. For the age, it was pretty scary. Though for my money, Lovecraft's best was "The Rats in the Walls."

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments I actually sent out three books for All Hallow's Read to some internet friends who will hopefully be surprised and delighted.

I did choose something from their Amazon wish lists, though, so I my options were limited. One of them had "The Graveyard Book" on their wish list, though, so that made the choice pretty easy.

I would probably go with Coraline if I had the choice, for that is still one of the scariest books I ever read. I agree with Jenny that House of Leaves is an excellent choice, too, although a bit demanding for the gift receiver.

All in all I am still proud that I manager to take part in this tradition this year. I usually procrastinate these things until it's too late, but not this year. (Yay!)

message 16: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Anyone else download Neil Gaiman's free audio book on Audible? Its part of his All Hallows read. Its only 10 minutes and quite clever.
Click-Clack the Rattlebag.
My review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 17: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments David Sven wrote: "Anyone else download Neil Gaiman's free audio book on Audible?"

Forgot to mention every download triggers a donation to charity