The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Do you have a favourite place where you like to read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) I live so far from anywhere that even the shortest plane ride is nearly 3 hours long and so planes are my favourite place to read. At home though its definitely bed with the aircon chilling the room enough to pull a duvet over me and the cat within stroking distance.

What about you? Where is your favourite place to read?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley My front porch.... wrapped in a blanket with a tea, my "reading chair" in the livingroom while DH plays video games on a rainy weekend or in bed!

message 3: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 650 comments I prefer to read on the sofa, covered with a blanket and something to drink close by. When it is warm outside I read on a lounger in the shades. I don't mind reading on a plane but the book has to be really good. If a book is boring or not really interesting I can't concentrate on it.

message 4: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) Propped up on the kitchen table with something to eat and a book in front of me. I am both fat and well-read.

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I love to read outside...preferably under a great big tree. In the winter, in front of a fireplace....

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 160 comments On my couch while my boyfriend plays his video games or when he is gone and I have popcorn and a drink.

Or in bed.

message 7: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Don't know the reason why but I always loved to read while sitting on the ground against a wall, in or outside. I can just read for hours like that.

message 8: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments In the hammock, below the tree house in our backyard.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Curled up on the couch with the afghan my gramma made me. Or tucked into the corner of my bed (which I always place against the wall) Surrounded by my corduroy duvet and propped up on all the pillows with my stuffed elephant. I like to read with coffee, and neither of these places has a good drink rest, but it gives me an excuse to get up and stretch a minute every once in awhile before curling back up again.

message 10: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments Number 1:
Curled up on my sofa with a warm blanket and my sweet puppies snuggling in close. Usually I also have the TV on for background noise.

Number 2:
In a big, over-sized, over-stuffed chair at B&N with a cup of hot chocolate or Vivano or frappacino. The only downside is I'd really also like a blanket when I'm there.

Number 3:
In a lounge chair, in the shade, on my back porch with a blanket.

I think the blanket thing is really key for me.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) You had a rat that wasn't in a cage running round? I bet you didn't have cats.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Stephanie, this sounds like a good cartoon: an evil hamster, an aggressive pet rat and a scaredy cat!

message 13: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 49 comments when it's still warm outside i enjoy sitting on my patio and reading. when it's cold out i like to read in the bed all curled up with a blanket and book. i also have a reading chair in what should be our dining room, but is our reading nook.

i can't read on planes. i used to be able to, but i'm too nervous of a flyer now. i don't do anything on the plane but stare out the window. makes for all flights to be very LONG!

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) In bed under warm blankets, propped up by two pillows with the lamp on.

message 15: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) In the winter I like to read inside in a sunny spot, feet propped up, cat on lap.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) So many of us have cats! Does it go together with being a reader?

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Haha, the loo. I heard many people doing that, even more for magazines...but I jsut don't seem to get it. I have never done it and I don't see myself doing it either:-)

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) This might be tmi, if so I apologise. Before I had my son, a trip to the loo meant an endless sit so I might as well read a book. But since I gave birth my whole body changed and I don't have time now.

message 19: by LeAnne (new)

LeAnne (early-riser) I just love going on vacation to a warm tropical beach with a suitcase packed with books. Nothing like laying in the shade with a nice tropical drink and the sound of the ocean. Another great reading location is in a quiet corner of a cruise ship. I can imagine it now that the weather is turning cold.

message 20: by Melissa (last edited Oct 10, 2008 06:15PM) (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm not too picky -- I'll read where I can. I actually spend most of my time reading on the living room couch, with my son in my lap either nursing or sleeping. Like I said, I read when I can. But, if I had a choice, I'd read in bed. Oh, I also forgot, when I'm working, I LOVE reading on the train on the ride into DC -- 40 minutes of uninterrupted reading time. I enjoy reading in my office, too -- we have a lot of downtime in there on most days, so some of us crack open a book or so. I'm looking forward to being able to read consistently again in January.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Fiona - you live on the Isle of Wight?

message 22: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments On my couch, on my front porch swing, in my bed. those are my fav. But I will read anywhere.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Thought of another place last night, before I went to bed. Our old beach house, on the screened in porch, during a rain storm. That was the best place ever!! I never read out there, but can imagine doing it now.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Melissa - that sounds like a dream, or a scene from a film. Beautiful.

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 157 comments The weather in Texas is so hot that I don't read that much outdoors. But now, it's nice fall weather. So, I sat outside yesterday reading. It was heaven. Usually, I like to sit on our sofa in our piano room with my book. My cat moseys in & jumps on the sofa beside me & sleeps the hours away. It's great!!

message 26: by Ami (new)

Ami (amina09) In bed, it's so relaxing and comfortable.. Though I've always wanted to read in a park, on a bench, in September - sounds like a movie scene :)

message 27: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona, I recognize myself so much in wha you write!! (I even thought for a second that your last comment was written by myself).

Like I wrote before, never read on the loo. Did you ever hear people actually buying a magazine especially for the loo? I thought that was really weird!!! Are they called loo-magazines?:-)

I always read on buses or trains or whatever other transport and no and then watch a second outside because I just adore watching outside when I am brough somewhere by whatever kind of transport. I read so much on my way to work while I was working in Greater London. The first month there I had a bit less than an hou on the metro and the an hour and a half I think on the train. Fiona, I was lucky that by the time I almost arrived at the station there were other colleagues on the train, otherwise I would have more than once been arriving some stations further.

No need to put my book in my bag when I went to the train or bus station, because I would be reading before arriving and while being on it.

I had a colleague that used to love an especially ask the next day how my trip home had been the day before when she saw that another colleague came to ask me if I was going to the station. Because she knew I had been thinking about reading further on the train for the whole day and that the other colleague is someone who would be chatting the whole way about things I didn't care or doesn't even listen to what someone else says. She just wants to talk and is really fake. So I would always try not to be on the train with her because otherwise I wouldn't be able to read.
In the morning I would be with two friends on the train but still in my mind I would be thinking: I wanna read!!!

Fiona, let me know when you miss that stop...stil didn't happen to me either. :-))

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Jeane -when I come to London (which I do at least once a year) I stay in a hotel at Heathrow close to Hatton Cross tube. I don't tell anyone that the real reason I do it is that its a guaranteed seat on the tube and nearly an hour of uninterrupted reading time each way. I just love reading on the tube.

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (wife228) Lately I've been reading e-books so I"ve had to sit at my desk and read.

message 30: by L.a. (new)

L.a. Hernandez (la12hernandez) | 1 comments Because of my eyesight I read in bed. My cat likes to sleep next to me on an old book. He loves the smell of books and it keeps him from trying to play with the book I'm reading.

message 31: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Petra X, that's my reason for always saying to companies that I don't mind living far from work!!!!

Anna, I started reading my second book by getting the e-mail with a part everyday in my inbox but I a not too enthusiastic about it. I can't relax while reading it on the screen and it goes too slow that way.

JG (Introverted Reader) LeAnne, I agree about the beach. I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it. My parents used to always take us to this little beach for a week-long vacation every year. I would always take at least 5 books from the library and finish them during that time. There wasn't much to do there, but they did have a bookstore that we always visited, so I'd usually read 1 or 2 more also. The sound of the waves, the smell of the ocean and the sunscreen, the sound of my cousins and sister playing in the water while my mom and aunt looked on and talked... Takes me right back.

Curled up on the couch with my husband, a glass of hot chocolate or hot cider, a warm blanket, and a cold blustery day outside is also a perfect reading climate.

message 33: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Saturday my boyfriend made me my first white hot chocolate of the year!!! And it was great to read while drinking it and having the fire place on..... I had been waiting for that.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) I'm like the Red Queen, running as fast as I can to stay in one place. Only in my case its dieting as hard as I can just not to put on weight, so chocolate in all its shapes and forms is just a dream.

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Petra, that porch was the greatest. I haven't sat on that porch for probably 10 years, but I constantly think about how nice it was and how I took it for granted, when we owned the place. A screened-in porch, or the possibility of one is now a requirement for my next house.

I also enjoy reading in the recliner in my son's nursery.

message 36: by Clara (new)

Clara | 157 comments You guys will think I am strange. I read best in a crowded place such as a starbuck place, a crowded food place at the mall, a noisy and crowded train ride. I am a New Yorker. It's too quiet at home can't concentrate.

message 37: by Clara (new)

Clara | 157 comments Fiona I am glad you understand what I am talking about. Although I have two cats, I should be able to cuddle with them while reading but I just can't. I spend my time watching TV when I am home; reading is for a crowded and noisy place.

message 38: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I a sooo glad that I can shut out all the noise around me and read. My mother told me I used to sleep as a baby next to a playing juxebox, so maybe that is the reason. I completely go in another world: me and my book.

message 39: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Easy Fiona easy :-)))) Actually go!!!!!!
You know we I have a litte bit a problem to concentrate? It's when I hear someone speak Italian. Luckily I got pretty used to it but somtimes whe my boyfriend listens to something for instance on youtube in italian.....I am less concentrated.

message 40: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona, when i talk about chocolate I don't mean english chocolate.... you can't even call it chocolate! or three yars I filled my luggage with chocolate every time wet back to England. Belgian white chocolate is yummy and when my boyfriend makes hot chocolate with it .... but also he swiss or italian is really good.

message 41: by Elena (new)

Elena | 45 comments 1) In bed
2) On the sofa (rain outside the window, a fireplace, a duvet, a glass of brandy and an hairy carpet would be the icing on the cake....)
3) Er.... in the toilet
Never on public means on transport, because that makes me feel sick unfortunately.

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz Hopefully no one minds if I jump in...
I always like to read on a cozy couch or armchair--the squishier the better. My bed and a nice hot bath also make nice substitutes. Only with the bath the books occasionally get a little damp...
Really, anywhere where I can recline is suitable to me!

message 43: by Melody (new)

Melody | 564 comments I like to read in one of our large comfy armchairs with a hot drink (if its cold) or a glass of wine (if its warm). I also love reading in bed.

My hubby loves reading in our outdoor spa but I dont enjoy that as I get in there to relax and I am always concerned the book will get wet. Doesn't bother him but he does tell the kids they cant splash.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Belgian chocolate is wonderful. Also Austrian. Fresh Austrian Mozarts filled with fresh cream... Mmmmm

I think American chocolate is like stuff you get from the stalls in markets.

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Jeane - I have just thought of something you might enjoy if you can get it. If you know of a West Indian market you might be able to get chocolate balls. They are hard and round, just pure cocoa pods together with cinnamon, sometimes nutmeg and vanilla pod too. You grate it to make hot chocolate. Very delicious but quite different.

message 46: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Thanks petra, I won't find it here in the little village but will keep it in my mind when i see one.

Fiona, I had such a bad experience when I went to live in england and bought a bag full of different types of English chocolate...I think we threw away practically all of it. I just couldn't eat it.

A guy at the border in Belgiam wanted to check once my bag while taking the eurostar in Brussel to go to London...when he opened it I heard him saying...it's full with waffels and chocolate in here....:-) My boyfreind didn't say a thing when I arrived and jsut gave a big smile and had lovely, chocolate eyes!!!

message 47: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm actually spending a year in England now! I'd never been here until I got here. I have to stay, the English breakfast consist of beans, sausages, etc. is not the healthiest thing I've ever eaten. However, the chocolate is quite tasty!

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) I think England has wonderful restaurants, marvellous food but none of it, fortunately, English!

I think the worst salad bars and buffets in any country I have ever visited are English and the very, very, very best in New York.

message 49: by Liz (new)

Liz Yes, Fiona, I do understand that. I was actually having some stomach issues the past couple of days, and I think it was from accidentally not eating fresh veggies for a few days while I was traveling. However, I'm off to Tesco in a bit...
I enjoy England quite a bit! I'm at Exeter, at the uni. And Petra, you are right, England does have lots of good restaurants but not many of them specialize in British food.

message 50: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Sorry Fiona, if I would be in Belgium now I would send you some from the shop, eve if they aren't the same like the freshly made once.
yesterday I was at the movie theater and I enjoyed a very expensive little piece of Lindt chocolate while watching the movie...hmmm that was good:-)

Liz, besides the food, I hope you will enjoy the experience. I am glad I am gone form England but I am also glad I had that experience.
I am lucky I have an Italian boyfriend so we mainly cooked italian dishes with a mix of my dishes(not typical Belgian!).

« previous 1