College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > Support Group! :)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 620 (620 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I got this idea today. Yesterday I received really good news and I am boasting to tell somebody, anybody about it!

So this thread is for posting good news, bad news, problems, future goals, that can be given support from people in the College Students group. If you're feeling down, post it here! I will be sure to respond as Im sure everyone else will too :)

So my good news! YAY! I applied for a foreign exchange program and just got my acceptance letter saying that I will be spending one of my semesters studying in England!!! I am so happy!

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
congrats!!! :)
I am SO incredibly happy for you!!
that is some incredibly great news that I am glad you shared!!

& btw...i love the idea for this thread :)

message 3: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Congrats Sylvia! I'm so excited for you! A bit envious, too :) England is going to be so much fun! I've always wanted to go. You'll have to keep us College Students posted as you go along... What will you be studying?

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Awww thanks girls! Well Im studying psychology here at the University! So Im going there for one semester of psychology! And coming back to finish my fourth year here in Canada!

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm so jealous too. i miss England! :(
i want lots of updates!!

One thing going on in my life right now..

So most of you know how I am supposed to be going to fashion school in LA next fall..it's something ive wanted to do..and need to do..I need to get out of here..doing something for myself. After my mom's death..i just kind of stopped doing all of the things i loved..so now i want to. About a month ago we just found out that my boyfriend's (of 2 years)dad has ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease..which is NOT a good thing to have. There is no cure..and it seems that most people die within a year or two. It's hard for me because I just went through this sort of thing myself about 2 1/2 years ago..and it's hard to watch my bf go through this. Now that all this has happened..I can't imagine being all the way across the country and leave my boyfriend through all of this. My bf is one of those guys who does not talk about things..basically I am the only person that he is open with. knowing what it's like to watch your parent die..i can't even think about leaving. So..im at a tough spot..and I don't know what I should do. My bf wants me to go because he knows how much it means to me..but i just don't think i can..idk..it is a mess!

message 6: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Jamie, I am so sorry for your loss. You seem to be in a very tough situation. I think you know best as to what decision you should make. My advice is to follow your dreams so that you don't lose your spirit completely. In this way you will be stronger to support your boyfriend. I am sure that wherever you will be, you will be able to talk to him, and to comfort him.

message 7: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments this is a great idea!

silvia..congrats! that will be an awesome opportunity..life changing im sure.

Jamie..im sorry to hear everything that is going on. I think you should still act as you are going and see what happens..its a long ways away.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) congrats silvia :). Be sure to bring us a sovenoir...lol

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet So I wanted to post something on here because I am very excited about something. So, my boyfriend and I have always talked about moving but I have never really wanted to live away from my family. Anyway, we got wind that in Alaska, because they're hurting so bad for teachers, that Special Ed. teachers get paid pretty well, get a signing bonus, and get most of their housing paid for. So now we're talking about moving to Alaska after we get married in about 2 years.
I don't know why but I am so excited about it. I think it could be a really fun adventure for us. We would only go for a few years and then when we start a family we would come back to Colorado. I hope the money thing doesn't make us sound greedy but we just think it's a great idea and would be so fun!
My boyfriend is also a Political Science Major with a minor in Business and the economy is so bad right now that he is having a hard time finding work. He is just getting all these odd ball jobs to pay the bills.
I think we can start new out there and be happy when we have to leave and come home too. I am just really excited and wanted to share it.
I hope this wasn't like really confusing...haha.

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

that is awesome and sounds like an adventure for sure! I want to do something like that before I have kids. I'm excited for you! :)

and plus..working with special ed kids is rewarding enough! :)

message 11: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette_marie_reads) | 39 comments Silvia- I just read your post, and that is so unbelievably exciting! I studied abroad in Paris one semester and it was truly the time of my life! You will love it :)

Jamie- That sounds like a really tough situation and the best advice I can give you is to listen to your heart. It's hard sometimes because so many other things get in the way, but your intuition can at least guide you in the right direction. And absolutely talk to your boyfriend about it as well.

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Annette..thanks! I agree..communication with him is definitely going to be crucial..talking about what we both need..and want..and being honest with each other.

message 13: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Thanks Anette! Paris sounds amazing! I've only been to Strasbourg in France, which is right at the border between France and Germany. I found the city very pituresque!

Janet it sounds like a milestone in your life! I am very excited for you! My aunt worked as a dentist in Yellowknife for 2 years because the pay opportunities are so much better!!!! Goodluck and keep us posted!!!! :D

message 14: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments Janet..that sounds so exciting!! Good luck!

message 15: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this thread would be the closest in terms of topic.
Oh, warning, this is a little lame (okay, a lot) and I'll probably come off as a... computer geek

So our internet was down all weekend and I was sick, which made staying home even more boring. And all I kept thinking about was goodreads and this group! Its so sad, but I really do depend on this site as a pick-me-up and a way to keep from exploding at work. Since I've moved back home from college all my friends are scattered around the globe so I haven't had the friend support that I was used to until I found this group. People like me who like to read and understand the importance of little things like I do... Anyway, just wanted to say thanks ladies! and I'm glad to be back. PS- I went to Borders on Saturday to find a book to read and because I didn't have my TBR list from goodreads I was totally lost ! haha, pathetic, I know ;)

message 16: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

aww Anastasia! I know what you mean though. I'm getting ready to graduate and I live at home this semester..and all my friends are scattered around and all my friends who are still around here don't like to read. haha. or if they do..not the same things that I do. Coming to this site is a nice break during the stress of homework too..so I'm right there with you! and plus..we have an awesome group of girls that are "regulars" on here! :)

message 17: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Is this an appropriate venue for venting? Well, I need one.

I hate my job. I really effing hate my job. I love the cute kids and taking their pictures and editing them and all the artsy stuff. But I hate the scheduling!!

I only work (UP TO) 2 weekends per month because I live an hour away and am a full time student. I can't do anymore than that! (sidenote: I know I need to get a job closer to campus...)

I'm crammed right now with heavy reading assignments, writing, group projects with enclosing deadlines, and studying to do. Not to mention the general wellness derived from good sleeping and eating habits. Plus, I'm juggling trying to be there for my family- this is not uncommon people!

So why then is it that my manager and co-workers can't seem to get it through their heads that 1) my schedule is NOT flexible 2) I plan SO MANY THINGS around the INITIAL schedule they give me so that I can even be there at all 3) Changing my schedule the week of is NOT OKAY 4)I'm not driving an hour one-way on a weeknight to cover your shift.

It is absolutely maddening. I'm going to have to have a talk with my manager because I'm just not doing this. If it comes down to it, I'll quit. Because it's just not worth the stress. I'll figure something else out. They expect me to be there for every staff meeting, and I just can't do it. Especially when they don't give me any notice.

It especially enrages me because there are other at-school employees that aren't held to these standards at all. I just want to work maybe two weekends a month. That doesn't mean I'm available at your beck and call.

How have you guys dealt with bs like this?!!

message 18: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ahh Kate..i can definitely feel your pain..i went through the same thing with one of my jobs..and they would get pissed at me if i said I couldn't change my schedule from what it was supposed to be.

I just had another job this summer that i despised..not for those reasons..but just because it was dreadfully boring to me..and I really just hated it. I contemplated quitting so many times..and then finally I just did it. I never thought I would. I don't regret it at all..I thought there was a chance i had made the wrong decision..but I know that i didn't..so my advice..do what is going to ultimately make you happy and make the most sense for you right now. It sounds like a crappy situation and you just really don't need the added stress right now. I say that you first speak with them and lay down the law haha..and if they do not see what you are saying as reasonable..then you should definitely quit..because what you are saying makes complete sense to me!

I hope things get better..keep me updated!

message 19: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Thanks Jamie! I've always been such a coward at quitting, but I need to learn. =/

I'm having a talk with her Friday since that's the next time she works. I'll have to practice what to say! Hahah!

message 20: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

seriously..i was the same way..before this job this summer..i worked at a job for 5 or so years..i loved it..but i got treated like crap..I didn't quit really..i just worked alot less because of school and then just stopped working there. The job this summer..I couldn't just do that..so i just had to muster up whatever courage I had to just do it. I can't even tell you how much happier I am. I hated that damn job. haha. you should def practice what you want to say..that way you can stand strong and not get caught off guard!

message 21: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Thanks Jamie!!

message 22: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ughh i need to find a job for when i graduate in december..and its just not looking so good! :(

message 23: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Ahh, Kate, I feel your pain on so many levels. I just graduated college and got a part time job (even though its almost full time bc i work 6hrs/day 5x/week) to tide me over so I can save up until I go to grad school next fall. In the beginning I liked it a lot. Really easy office work and the people were pretty nice. Then I got a new boss and i EFFING HATE MY JOB!
I can't STAND my new boss and coming here just infuriates me on a level that I can't even begin to describe the vehement loathing I feel for everything about this place. Of course I can't quit because finding a job in the first place is hard bc of the economy, and the boyfriend doesn't sympathize or understand how much loathing a place, no matter how easy the work, can truly drive you insane...
Being a recent grad in the awkward limbo period bt grad school and finding a career SUCKS!!

so yes, my heart goes out to you, Kate. I say give em the finger and walk out :) lol jk. That was me putting my feelings of what I want to do onto you...
good luck and DONT keep a job if you don't like it. there are plenty of campus jobs you can find to work for a couple of weekends

message 24: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Thanks Anastasia! And I'm looking. Muncie is crappy town anyway- not a lot available. But I have seen a few openings. And I'll choose something campus wise first!

I'm soooo sorry about your situation though! Complete crap. Our economy is in the sewer, and that makes me cry!! It's not fair to have to deal with tyrants just because finding a decent job is so damn difficult!!

And Jamie!! You'll find something! Good luck!

message 25: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

just wanted to share some good news with some of my favorite people & supporters :)

So i got an email from one of my business professors..who also happens to be the Dean of the Business program at my school..telling me that he would like to recommend me to get an award given to a senior in the business program! I was so stoked and honored!! I mean..it's not for sure or anything..but it made me happy that at least all my hard work was recognized and everything that I did to get through everything with my mom's illness/death schoolwise was not in vain. I know that my mom would have been extremely proud..because she was the type that was ALWAYS getting awards and crap because she was amazing!

message 26: by Janet (new)

Janet Wow Jaime! That is so exciting!!! That is just really great to hear that all your hard work is paying off somewhere. It does sound like a huge honor. I am sure you're mom would be extremely happy!!

message 27: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) =D!!! Great job!

message 28: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments That's awesome! Congrats! =D

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments Congratulations!!

message 30: by April (new)

April | 39 comments That's awesome Jamie! Yeaaaaaaa :o)

message 31: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

thanks everyone! :)

message 32: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I'm soo sorry. =(

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm so sorry to hear that SBG.. :(

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I'm so sorry for your loss :[

message 35: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) my condolences SBG... I'm sure now she can look down on you and always compliment your eyebrows in her own little way :)

congrats Jamie!! you deserve that award! No doubt your mom is proud of you, as are we :)

message 36: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i will definitely be thinking of you/praying for you tomorrow during the funeral..it's always a hard time..yet a nice time to come together and remember your loved ones.

message 37: by April (new)

April | 39 comments I will def keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

message 38: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I understand that feeling..during my mom's viewing i just expected that she would just get up or something..it's weird because all of the rational part of you KNOWS that isn't going to happen..but some weird part of you wishes that it would..especially because my mom looked so much more alive in the casket than she had in the last few months of her life. I think that's why I freaked out when the closed the casket right before the funeral started..because even though she was dead at the viewing..i could at least still be comforted by the fact that I could see her..when they closed the casket..i knew it was for good. its a weird weird experience. I'm glad that you are doing ok though.

i'm with you though..i am a very bright colored dressing kind of person and everyone always jokes that it would be disrespectful for people to wear black at my funeral..haha..i want it to be less formal, dark, and gloomy.

good luck getting your sermon done. i know it will be hard to concentrate because you have a million other emotions and thoughts going on simultaneously..but..just take your time and pace yourself and you'll be fine! :)

message 39: by Janet (new)

Janet Ok I have to say something funny because I hate sad. I mean I know it happens and everyone needs to be sad but I just have a funny story. So my grandpa's funeral was the first one I had been to with an open casket. So anyway my aunt (in-law aunt) was standing by him and I guess the thing that holds his arms across his chest moved so then his arm dropped! Haha. So my aunt went up to my mom and told her and the lady had to come in and lift up my grandpa and put the arm thing back and then put his arms back. It was sick but really funny. And we were laughing because my aunt was so calm about it. I would have screamed!!
Ok so it's sick and if it were anyone else I would have been really upset about it but my grandpa was in a nursing home and an alcoholic since before I was born so I really didn't know him that well. And during it it was upsetting but now when you think back it was pretty funny. Ok now that I read back this is a sick story but I hope someone gets a little smile about it!

message 40: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha that is pretty funny. i can't imagine if that would have happened..i would have cracked up..because i laugh at times like that.. :)

message 41: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Oh yes, I always laugh at inappropriate times.

message 42: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

so..this is really random..but can i just say how much i really enjoy so many of you girls in this group..i honestly have one "girlfriend" who is my best friend..but other than that..i'm friends with all guys..which is fine..but sometimes i miss having girl time..and its horrible because even since middle school..i've never had a group of girls that i was close friends with..i mean..i had a bunch of random friends..but never a close knit group..and i love how i feel like..even though i've never met any of you and we just are "goodreads friends" i love coming on here and feeling like i have a group of good girl friends!

haha i know that might have seemed sappy and sentimental and really random..but my sister and i were talking about how we each only have one girl friend..and all the rest are guys...and how we wish that we had a close knit group of girls that we were friends with.

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I agree Jamie & Ashley- most of my friends are guys as well. My 2 good girl friends both recently moved away.. one an hour away and the other across the country. I also live with 3 guys, so I definitely miss having my girl time!

message 44: by Janet (new)

Janet Man, I completely agree. My boyfriend actually makes fun of me a lot because I don't have many girlfriends. Honestly, though, I hate girls! I think they're so mean and I haven't had very good luck with them. I love you guys!! Haha. I have a couple of girlfriends that I love too! But other girls are just too drama for me!! I love this group so much!!!

message 45: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Hahaha girls do cause a lot of drama. I have to admit even though I've only been involved in the discussions for a few days it feels nice to come somewhere and talk about anything. With guys you have to be so careful.

message 46: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I feel the same way about you ladies. i dont keep many girl friends because of cattiness, so its good to find a group of girls who share my interest and who understand me a lot more than people I already know who claim we're friends but I only consider them associates.
thanks ladies :)

message 47: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Does anyone watch Samantha Who?

I normally don't make time to actually watch any tv shows, but I did watch most of last nights episode. I guess Samantha was hit by a car and has amnesia about her past. She is trying to be a better person, so she tried to help a girl get her life back together, and ends up taking the rap for theft and going to jail for her.

That is the type of person I am, not to that extent, but the whole try to be best friends with everyone. The problem is there are many people out there that are the complete opposite. I would rather get burned being nice to someone than have to live being the mean girl.

message 48: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha I usually hate girls too. I fit in much better hanging out with my guys. Girls seem to be too dramatic for me. But I definitely feel the same way about all of you girls! I definitely love coming here every day and seeing what's up! =)

message 49: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

girls always have just hurt me more in the past..you think you are friends with a girl and then you find out they rip you apart behind your back every chance they get. Tami..i'm so much like that..i try to be nice to everyone and would rather get burned then be mean..although i have to admit though..lately..i think i've been real jaded by that..and i have guarded alot of myself..and have probably become semi mean..even though its not really me..which is unfortunate because nobody ever used to tell me that i was intimidating..or that they thought i was a bitch before they talked to me..ugh..i should probably work on that one..because that's not really who i am. maybe it became some sort of defense mechanism to guard myself from hurtful people? i guess it backfired. anyways..i'm just so glad i can be completely and utterly myself when i'm on here. it's refreshing.

message 50: by kate (last edited Nov 11, 2008 05:58PM) (new)

kate (katelucia) Girls just irritate me for the most part. They're too much like "Jessica" (since we're all on a Twilight kick) and I can't take that. I was "BFFs" with this girl for about five years before she told me when HS ended that she hadn't really liked me for the last four. Who does that?

The mark of when she decided to stop liking me was honestly when I let my guard down and started being actually happy. When I learned how to just be myself.

I don't know. You can't beat girls for a good time every once in a while, but long-term everyday in your face girl stuff just hasn't worked for me.

EXCEPT MY SISTER AND MOMMMYY!! haha.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13