The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hi from a history geek!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Boogoalo (new)

Boogoalo Hi Everyone! I'm new to Good Reads and am eager to meet lots of other cool readers.

I'm a professor at Vanderbilt (which has surprised us ALL by making ESPN today). I read and write all types of nonfiction: history, science/medicine.

You'll find out about some of my wacky history of medicine interests over at:

http://wondersandmarvels.blogspot.com

Let me know if you have any ideas about topics you'd like to see there. AND, especially, if there are any recent books/authors that I absolutely must profile.

Looking forward to being part of this group.

All the best, Holly

message 2: by Boogoalo (new)

Boogoalo Glad to be here! And thanks for your email back! :)

message 3: by Ari (last edited Oct 04, 2008 11:34AM) (new)

Ari (aricl) | 54 comments Hi, Holly! It's great to find other people who are interested in such a specific topic :)

PS: wow! I just glanced at your blog and the info you give is awesome... I hope I can find some of those texts at online stores!!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Holly, I see another one of our history geeks, Leppaluoto AKA Ken, already found you :)

I was talking w/Ken earlier today about one of the textbooks we read in my college history course called Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945.

History (and science, actually) were always my downfalls in school. This book was terrific in that, it kept me interested to the point I felt like I was reading fiction.

I just found out today there is a Freedom from Fear, Part II, which of course now I want to pick up. BUT I was wondering if you could suggest any other books on American History that are written in the same vein.

Really glad you found us!

:)

Petra bf in 2 days but I have lost my nerve (petra-x) Hi Holly - I love reading history. Its great you've joined Goodreads and found the best group ever!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the Group Holly

message 7: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Hey Holly!
Great to meet you!

I am currently reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane.
It's historical fiction and it's about Boston just after WWI. It's a hodge podge of historical issues during that time especially, racism, communism, labor unions and the Spanish Influenza Pandemic. There is a mini-plot weaved throughout the book about Babe Ruth as well.
It took a while to get into the book but I'm enjoying it now. Learning alot too!!

I see that you are a non-fiction history writer but I just thought I'd mention it.
:)

message 8: by Boogoalo (last edited Oct 04, 2008 01:31PM) (new)

Boogoalo Hi Kellie...I just was at the bookstore this morning and debated whether or not to get The Given Day. How long did it take you to get into it? All the mini-plots sound really great.

And Laura...I'll have to ponder the question on American history textbooks. I do more European history. My absolute favorite books are the Cambridge UP "New Approaches To" series. They're consistently good and pleasant to read. Here are some examples, and a list of some Cambridge titles (I want to read them all!)

http://www.cambridge.org/us/textbooks...

Cheers, Holly

Medicine and Society in Early Modern EuropeThe European Nobility, 14001800

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Oh..Holly..
Have you read "The Zookeepers Wife?"
It's about the Warsaw Zoo and their keepers during WWII.
I enjoyed the book, just thought it could have been written better.
The concept was so interesting...

Another good one I've read this summer is "My Father's Keeper" by Norbert Lebert. It's about the children of the Nazi leaders like Himmler, Goring, Hess and others...Norbert picks up where his father left off in interviewing the sons and daughters. It is interesting to read how they felt about their fathers. So many different opinions...Fascinating book!

Anyway, it took me till about page 150 or so to get into The Given Day.
Now it's moving along nicely. There are 720 pages...
I wish I could read a little faster though.

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Hi Holly, thanks for joining!! I am sure you will find tons here to catch your interest, and congrats on being mentioned on ESPN!

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Holly,how did I miss saying hi?! Welcome to the group! :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Be welcome, Holly!

message 13: by Boogoalo (new)

Boogoalo Go Vandy! Can't believe they won. And can you believe that I didn't watch? Just found out this morning.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments Welcome Holly!

message 15: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments Welcome, Holly! *waves*

message 16: by Giovanna (new)

Giovanna (whenwearebothcats) | 16 comments Hi Holly :)

I'm currently studying history and finding it a wonderful subject. My favourite of them all.

Nice to meet you!

Giovanna

message 17: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Holly,

Welcome!

message 18: by Brent (new)

Brent (nixon110) I'm a big football fan and must say Holly, i'm impressed with vandy this year! I also happen to be a history teacher, so it's nice to welcome another history nerd here ;)

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 64 comments Hi Holly- I'm a Social Studies teacher, so I'm glad to see you onboard. You'll find that the members of this group are fantastic at recommending books of all genres and tastes. Welcome!

message 20: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Hello and welcome!

message 21: by Sera (new)

Sera Hi, Holly.

I'm a history and non-fiction nerd, too. I also lived in Chattanooga for about 4 1/2 years. I loved the State, and I have much respect for Vanderbuilt as an institution.

Thanks for your note, and I'll be back in touch shortly.

I'm glad that you are here with us :)

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Hello Holly. Good to see another Tennessean in the group. Graduated with a degree in history, so you are my new best friend.