Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 15 comments Looking for
No female protaginist
Sword & Sorcery or Dark fantssy
Action packed
Not typical " Star wars theme"

If you could please name more than 1 book.
Thanks a lot!

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I would recommend the Drenai series by David Gemmell, starting with Legend.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Have you read The Elric Saga?

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Jul 17, 2011 06:48PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I would recommend Fafhrd and Gray Mouse series by Fitz Leiber.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Lmao @ Star Wars theme *wipes tear* :)

I second MrsJ's recommendation. You also can't go wrong with Moorcock for S&S. I'd also recommend Heroes Die. Action packed indeed.

message 6: by Ted (last edited Jul 23, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

Ted Monroe | 13 comments Have you tried Glenn Cook's The Black Company? I really liked 'em and they seem to have alot of what you are hankering for. One of the chief protagonists is female though.

message 7: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 21 comments The Fallen Blade- Jon Courtenay Grimwood
Midwinter, and The Office of Shadow- Mathew Sturges
The Bone Palace- Amanda Downum
The Phoenix Guards, or any of the Viscount of Andrilanka series like The Lord of Castle Black- or the Vlad Taltos books- Steven Brust
Havemercy- Jaida Jones
Living With Ghosts- Kari Sperring
Liz Williams- The Snake Agent
Simon Green- Something From The Nightside

message 8: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Ted wrote: "Have you tried Glenn Cook's The Black Company? I really liked 'em and they seem to have alot of what you are hankering for. One of the chief protagonists is female though."

I seriously googled protagonist after reading this. I guess the Lady does count, although I always saw her as a villain.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Kepler | 55 comments Ted wrote: "Have you tried Glenn Cook's The Black Company? I really liked 'em and they seem to have alot of what you are hankering for. One of the chief protagonists is female though."

I wonder if this gives a nod to Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company"?

message 10: by Ted (new)

Ted Monroe | 13 comments Tom wrote: "Ted wrote: "Have you tried Glenn Cook's The Black Company? I really liked 'em and they seem to have alot of what you are hankering for. One of the chief protagonists is female though...."

I had never heard of that series, Doyle was a favorite of my Dad's though and it's kind of a warm thought for me to think a series of his influencing one of mine - Thanks

message 11: by Maggie (last edited Jul 27, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Malazan! Dark, epic,plentyyyyyyyyyy of action and the girls are tougher than the guys...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Maggie wrote, "Malazan! Dark, epic,plentyyyyyyyyyy of action and the girls are tougher than the guys..."

Uh hellooooooo. Kalam would beg to differ, Mags :P

Kalam = Badassery extraordinaire

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom Kepler | 55 comments SM Stirling also has some badass women in his books. Try Dies the Fire, Conquistador, or Island in the Sea of Time.

message 14: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments I thought we were talking about things without a female protagonist.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Tom you get mad props for recommending SM Stirling. One of my favs :)

Errr....I think you're right, Denae :)

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom Kepler | 55 comments oops!

message 17: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "Maggie wrote, "Malazan! Dark, epic,plentyyyyyyyyyy of action and the girls are tougher than the guys..."

Uh hellooooooo. Kalam would beg to differ, Mags :P

Kalam = Badassery extraordinaire"

Remember Minala? She made Kalam run away like an old cat....just sayin'

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Kalam obviously pulled a hammy. The Malazan rulebook clearly states that a pulled hammy = do-over.

:P

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

You two are making me want to dive into a full series read of Malazan...

message 20: by Maggie (last edited Jul 28, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments okay, maybe I am just being a girl, but what is pulling a hammy? I would have thought it meant hamstring, but if it does I am not getting it.

because you know, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, I just do not know!

message 21: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Ala,

How far are you into Malazan? I've been thinking about getting back to it. Maybe a buddy read?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only read the first one. I have the next couple just sitting here. Staring at me.

stop it

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Deadhouse Gates was actually one of my ill-fated purchases today...

>_>

<_<

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

oooohhhhhhh...Ala, the second Malazan novel, Deadhouse Gates is my fav. I'll Tooootally read it with you

Lol @ Maggie. Yes...a hammy is a hamstring :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright, after i get through MHA I'll jump into deadhouse gates.

message 26: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I finally got my hands on a copy of Monster Hunter International!!!

Grant very kindly sent me a copy, but I have trouble reading a screen for very long. Thankfully, my library FINALLY got a copy in. Woohoo!!

message 27: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Deadhouse Gates and the Chain of Dogs...Butterflies will never be the same for me now...lol

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Laurel wrote: "I finally got my hands on a copy of Monster Hunter International!!!

Grant very kindly sent me a copy, but I have trouble reading a screen for very long. Thankfully, my library FINALLY got a copy ..."

yaay!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments You've had some good recommendations. David Gemmell's stuff is good, the Drenai series covers some great characters. Elric was suggested, it's like the epitome of dark fantasy. Moorcock's Prince Corum books and Erekosë books are also darker. The Black Company was mentioned , it's good. Don't miss the Conan (Robert E. Howard) books and stories if you haven't read them yet. I don't like them but Karl Edward Wagner's Kane stories are also very dark sword and sorcery books and stories.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski has everything you described.