Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > August Read Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tressa (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:56AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Don't pass out, but I didn't have to be reminded at the last minute to start begging for suggestions for our next read. Lay 'em on me.

List so far:
The Hypnotist
Slob
A Terrible Beauty
American Psycho
The Collector
Savage
Perfume
The Red Church
A Dark Matter

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments The Hypnotist It's not horror. I am halfway thru and it is a damn good read.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Of course I will already have finished it. Selfish bastard.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments LOL! I really want to read this one, too. Good suggestion, Michael. Well, we consider Silence of the Lambs to be horror, so why not go for some serial killer thrillers this month? I have been dying to read Slob by Rex Miller .

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments That does look interesting and it is nice and short so I can pad my books to read in 2011.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Cheater.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott A Terrible Beauty?

Am I the only one who hasn't read American Psycho?

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Busted.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yep, Michael.

Scott, I think you are. Terrible Beauty looks like an awesome read.

I say we should go for a serial killer read. I'm going to start making a list of these for the poll.

message 10: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I like serial killer books.

Scott- I haven't read either of those books.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments None of Masterton is available on Audible.com. PO'D!

message 12: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Scott wrote: Am I the only one who hasn't read American Psycho?"

Is that the same as the movie American Psycho?
Saw the movie.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Awesome movie

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Awww, sweet pic, Nora.

I like a well-written serial killer book, too.

Audible? You are a master cheater, Michael.

Nora, yes, the movie is from the book. I thought one was as good as the other.

message 15: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Tressa wrote: "Awww, sweet pic, Nora.

Nora, yes, the movie is from the book. I thought one was as good as the other."

Ty, it's me & Baby when he was about 5 yrs old.
My dd loves the movie because of the actor.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Come on Tressa Audio is not cheating. It is the only way I can keep my house clean and my yard looking acceptable to keep the neighbors at bay with torches.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments jennbunny wrote: "I like serial killer books.

Scott- I haven't read either of those books."

Jenn when I first looked at your post I thought It said " I like serial killer boobs."

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Who was the comedian that said " I am sooo lonely"

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome, Nora. Much nicer "conversing" with ya when I can see a different "side" to you. It's really a lovely picture. Need to find one of me and my boy like that to post.

I love listening to audios when I do housework, too. If it's a good story, I work longer hours.

How can you be lonely in NO, Michael?!

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Tressa wrote: "LOL! I really want to read this one, too. Good suggestion, Michael. Well, we consider Silence of the Lambs to be horror, so why not go for some serial killer thrillers this month? I have been dying..."

I read Slob many years ago. Pretty good book. I haven't read American Psycho yet, either.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Tressa wrote: "You're welcome, Nora. Much nicer "conversing" with ya when I can see a different "side" to you. It's really a lovely picture. Need to find one of me and my boy like that to post.

I love listening..."

It's tough but I manage.

message 22: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Michael - I'm sure serial killer boobs would make a good book too.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You mean you'd read a book with Eileen Wuornos' tits in them? I sure wouldn't!

message 24: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) So with the serial killer theme, are we thinking strictly fiction? I know of a few really good non fiction books on serial killers. :)

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Motorboat to death

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, Nora, fiction. I'm not into true crime anymore. Too depressing. Puts me in a funk.

message 27: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Tressa wrote: "You're welcome, Nora. Much nicer "conversing" with ya when I can see a different "side" to you. It's really a lovely picture. Need to find one of me and my boy like that to post. ..."

Aww, you're too kind. I love that it's me & Baby. I don't love that it's from back when I was fat. I weigh ALOT less now than back then.

message 28: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Ooooo Nora.... If u wouldn't mind sending a list of the non fictions ones my way????

message 29: by Nora aka Diva (last edited Jul 15, 2011 08:35PM) (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Sure can.
Well more correctly to say is I would but I got a message saying you don't accept messages.

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Nora wrote: "Tressa wrote: "You're welcome, Nora. Much nicer "conversing" with ya when I can see a different "side" to you. It's really a lovely picture. Need to find one of me and my boy like that to post. ......"

Oh, you don't have back fat at all in that pic. Why are women so damn hard on themselves?!

message 31: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Because others are so judgmental of them.

message 32: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) that gave me the giggles, not back fat but back when I was fat. Oh I was fat back then & lazy too. Weighed about 185 & I'm only about 5'7" but I eventually got off my ass & did something about it. I'm not fat now but I do excercise some. I'm still lazy though. lol.
bummer on the strictly fiction, I can't think of anything to suggest. Oh well looks like other people have some great ideas! :)

message 33: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments What? No messages? I have had trouble for a while. Give me a moment to try and fix it. I wasn't getting emails notifications or anything and now this. I already changed my flipping email 3 times. I may go serial in a minute. please hold while I have my melt down.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Serial Boobs?

message 35: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I think it was aloha who posted some serial boobs that could kill. It was a video of Elvira twirling tassels. Totally awesome.

I think it is fixed Nora. Bah.....so much trouble with goodreads lately. Hopefully I fixed it.

message 36: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) jennbunny, list sent. :)

message 37: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Thanks Nora. I got it!

message 38: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Can it be the first book of a series? Or no series books?

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Gatorman wrote: "Because others are so judgmental of them."

Bingo.

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments LOL. Nora. Well, you still didn't look fat in that picture to me. And, anyway, what I noticed was a sweet pic of a mother and son.

Jenn, it can be a first book in a series. I'm not wild about series, but I have enjoyed first books and didn't feel the need to read the following ones.

message 41: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Scott, I haven't read American Pyscho. There seems to be a few of us, you're not alone.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Hmm i've heard Perfume: The Story of a Murderer and The Collectorare excellent serial killer reads. Come to think of it there's also Richard Laymon's Savagewhich is about Jack the Ripper.

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris (necaros) | 18 comments I have been wanting to read Slob as well, and would be happy if ended up being next months read! It is supposed to be rather good.

message 44: by Michelle (last edited Jul 18, 2011 01:23AM) (new)

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I always find that there's not that much to discuss in run-of-the-mill slasher/horror books. It would be nice to read and discuss a book like The Hypnotist or Perfume. I wouldn't have much to say about Laymon's Savage.

message 46: by Iuliana Naughton (last edited Jul 18, 2011 06:03AM) (new)

Iuliana Naughton | 1 comments I am currently reading The Hypnotist and really enjoying it.

message 47: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I heard it was good, Iuliana.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OK. Poll is up so go vote.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/51...

message 49: by Bandit (last edited Jul 19, 2011 10:43AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments wow, for the first time there are three titles on the list that I've previously read and (with exception of Terrible Beauty) didn't care for the first time around, though I'd reread Red Church of Slob just to see if I like them better now

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Good grief. They all look promising to me.

« previous 1 3