Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > David Moody

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (necaros) | 18 comments Alright, so far this week I read Hater then Dog Blood. I can't really say that I was too impressed by Hater, it did a good job of setting up the general premise of the series, but I thought the MC acted a little foolishly. This book got allot of attention for being very violent, but although descriptive, I thought some of the action fell flat in this. Next I read Dog Blood, and was really surprised how much of an improvement it was over the first book. Wow, this book switched into full-fledged warfare! It was non-stop action from beginning to end, and the end was fantastic! Dog Blood really stepped up to the splatterpunk plate and chewed it up, this was one of the goriest books, if not the, I have ever read. Great point of view with the MC, and a superb finale. I would say it was a little light on the plot, but I don't really think that it was supposed to be, it was really a war novel first and foremost.
So, anybody else read these? What are your thoughts? And, is his other series, Autumn, worth checking out?

message 2: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I have read both Hater and Dog Blood and really liked both. Looking forward to the third part. I also read the first Autumn book and thought it was good, not great. Nothing really original and rather slow in parts, although it picked up at the end. Will probably read the second book, Autumn: City, at some point as I hear it's better.

message 3: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Tafe (LA_Tafe) | 7 comments Hater was a good book that kept me turning pages. While Dog Blood i read in one day and wanted more when it ended. I like books that don't hold anything back. The details are gory, yes, but nothing more than it needed for what the story was.
I have checked up on Moody quite a few times since I have read Hater and Dog Blood and haven't seen anything of his that I will be reading in the near future. Until Dog Blood's sequel which i am waiting "patiently..." for.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Toms (ambg4920) | 6 comments I read it. Hater was pretty slow until about 3/4 of the way through it. I think a lot of it was because he was setting up the story. Once he turned it took off. The last 1/4 of the book made it worth reading Dog Blood.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (necaros) | 18 comments I'll agree that the first pats of Hater were slow, but still kind of compelling to read. Partially my own fascination with why everyone seemed to be rather cavalier about the sudden outbreaks of violence at first. It's sad but I would say that it does echo real life, it's too risky to just start putting your nose into someone else's conflict unless absolutely necessary. In retrospect I would say that Moody captured that very accurately.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Walsh | 15 comments I am part of a group called the Moody's Survivors on FB and we're a community of writers who originally grouped together to discuss Moody's novels, but then we developed a community of writers, artists, readers and publishers.
I read Hater and I wasn't very impressed. It was okay, but nothing that will blow your mind. I read Autumn and it wasn't bad either. It was pretty good. But what I noticed was that both novels are written very differently. I actually thought when reading both books, that they must have been written from different authors. Hater seemed rushed, whereas Moody took a bit more time with descriptive text when he wrote Autumn. I definately prefer Autumn to Hater.
I dont mind Moody's work, I just hope he brings something fresh to the world of horror soon.

message 7: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I actually thought Hater was better than Autumn, but I agree that there is something fresh missing from the books, more so from Autumn. Not sure that it really bothers me, and I will eventually read the rest of the Autumn and Hater series, but it does keep me from rushing to read the books as I do with some others.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (paulmfeeney) | 4 comments I thought Hater was excellent, reminded me of early James Herbert, in particular The Fog.

Halfway through Dog's Blood and really enjoying it. Will get to the rest of David's books eventually.

I had the good fortune to be at a signing and talk last year that David Moody gave, it was very entertaining and informative. Looking forward to the possibility of a Hater film.

message 9: by Neil John (new)

Neil John Buchanan | 8 comments Really enjoyed Hater and Dog's Blood. Loved the twist in Hater about halfway through. The fresh perspective offered from that point was refreshing and different. To be honest, it's just plain good fun. Not picked up 'Them or Us' yet, but it's on my hit list.

message 10: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I just read Hater and absolutely loved it, can't wait to read the rest of them. I love the vividness of his writing, whether he;s desciring a boring family puting or a violent public confrontation. This guy is good.

message 11: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Bandit wrote: "I just read Hater and absolutely loved it, can't wait to read the rest of them. I love the vividness of his writing, whether he;s desciring a boring family puting or a violent public confrontation...."

Glad you liked it, Bandit. I read the second one, Dog Blood, and liked it a lot. Have Them or Us on a download but haven't gotten to it yet. Autumn is good but not as good as these books.

message 12: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Yeah, I've got teh second one too, Gator and the library near me has the third, so that I can finish the series. I also have Autumn 1 & 2, haven't read them yet. My friend really hooked me up with Moody's books last Christmas.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (love4leo) | 137 comments I just started Hater and really like it so far. I like how descriptive Moody is with his writing.

message 14: by Mokieblylk (new)

Mokieblylk | 3 comments i've read the Autum series and while the first book wasn't overly exciting his writing really kept me into it and i still wanted more after finishing 'Aftermath'...i just started Hater and read the first 200 pages in a few hours straight and can't wait to finish it

message 15: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Finished the Hater series and loved it. Keep reading!

message 16: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1652 comments I bought Autumn a couple of months back so I'm looking forward to reading it, especially as I haven't read that much zombie-lit to date. However, I am a bit wary of it now considering that a few people in this thread have said that, in comparison to some of his other books, Autumn isn't as good. :/

Looking at it another way, if I really like the book, then knowing that Moody's other books are even better would certainly encourage me to read them. :)

message 17: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Greg wrote: "I bought Autumn a couple of months back so I'm looking forward to reading it, especially as I haven't read that much zombie-lit to date. However, I am a bit wary of it now considering that a few pe..."

Greg, Autumn is not as good as the Hater trilogy but it is a worthwhile read on its own.

message 18: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1652 comments Gatorman wrote: "Greg, Autumn is not as good as the Hater trilogy but it is a worthwhile read on its own."

OK that's good to know. I'll be sure to try it anyway since I paid hard cash for it. :)

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 52 comments I just purchased the "Autumn" series and am looking forward to reading it and his "Hater" series a lot more now thanks to these reviews. Does he have any others?

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Karen wrote: "I just purchased the "Autumn" series and am looking forward to reading it and his "Hater" series a lot more now thanks to these reviews. Does he have any others?"

Not that I am aware of.

message 21: by Kaleigh (new)

Kaleigh | 1 comments Chris wrote: "Alright, so far this week I read Hater then Dog Blood. I can't really say that I was too impressed by Hater, it did a good job of setting up the general premise of the series, but I thought the MC ..."

Autumn is incredible. I am on the third book. Its a really great zombie apocalypse series. I highly reccommend it!

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina | 2 comments Michael wrote: "I read the first Autumn and got quite caught up in it. It read easy and had some wonderfully dark little touches in it. Haven't read anything else by him, though a co-worked worked his way through ..."

I'm reading Hater now - I'm about 50 pages in and I think it's a lot better than the Autumn series.

Also - the Autumn movie was horrible. Why was the clown there? More importantly, why is he the only one left alive? Why were the meat suites suddenly violent, when in the book it was really up to interpretaion? So many questions. I really wanted to see the bunker they hid in. However, seeing as the budget was small - I'm left to think maybe it would have been better as an animation movie.

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1652 comments Another question about the Autumn movie was why was it set in the US when the book is set in England? I've only seen the trailer so I can't comment more generally about the movie.

As for the book, Autumn was great fun to read! It's not a literary masterpiece but it's a well-paced story that starts with the apocalypse and the gradual 'awakening' of some of the dead - and how the survivors of the apocalypse deal with this. I was surprised by how much this book hooked me in!

message 24: by Marc-Antoine (last edited Aug 29, 2012 04:15PM) (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Enjoying Them or Us, just ordered a special edition Trust! Signed by mr. Moody and I am anxiously awaiting. I am a definite fan of his work.

message 25: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments That's awesome, Marc

message 26: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Just received my limited edition number 44 of 500 hardcover copy of Trust signed and all. I am so psyched...afraid of damaging it, I will read wearing silk gloves away from all elements....lol.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I've enjoyed the Hater trilogy very much. ( Hater, Dog Blood and Them or Us) (May of got the third book wrong, it has been awhile) The final conclusion was very satisfying.

The Autumn series was more satisfying to me. I believe there was five books in total. (Autumn, Autumn: the city, Purification, Aftermath, and I think Degeneration was the fourth book.) I liked the huge cast and feel of the entire series.

I haven't read Moody's newest post apocalyptic book. I was wondering if anyone here read it yet? Or planned on buying it.

message 28: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 26 comments I just finished Autumn. I am so depressed, lol.

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments S.K. wrote: "I just finished Autumn. I am so depressed, lol."

Did you read the entire series?

message 30: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 26 comments No just the first for now.

message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments S.K. wrote: "No just the first for now."

The second and third book get a lot better. I will say the last book has a happy ending. It's kind of like the Dark Tower series, you just have to get over the hump of the first book in order to enjoy the series.

message 32: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 26 comments Ahh okay. That's actually surprising. I'm tag-teaming that with the Carrie Ryan series and between the both I was just like: 'Oh my GOD cheer the hell up everyone!' lol.

message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I know. The first book is very depressing and focuses on how doomed everyone is. And while that remains a somewhat underlining theme till the bitter end. The nihilism kind of extinguishes itself out and there is hope between Michael and the main female lead. I don't want to spoil it for you , but those two characters end up growing on you a lot if you stick through it until the end.

message 34: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 26 comments I think I like my horror to be just a little bit more fun. Richard Laymon style.