Start by marking “Them or Us (Hater, #3)” as Want to Read:
Them or Us (Hater, #3)

Them or Us

(Hater #3)

The war that has torn the human race apart is nearing its end. With the country in the grip of a nuclear winter, both Hater and Unchanged struggle to survive. Hinchcliffe, leader of an army of Haters, will stop at nothing to be at the top of the new world order.
361 pages
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about Them or Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Them or Us

karen
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it

hmm, so as far as the "look at me, i am taking the 'zombie' novel to new and interesting places" angle goes, i think this book delivers. but it is definitely a more subdued and reflective novel than the two that came before it. and that's fine, but it is not helping out my "spooky spook month" very much.

because, hey, i am all about the maturation of the zombie novel: Zone One, Raising Stony Mayhall, and The Reapers Are the Angels are all fine examples of novels that are and are not books about
Jo Anne B
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous conclusion to the Hater series.  It was as depressing as they come, but it was true to how it things would be which is classic Moody style. You really felt for Danny in this one. Wow, was he put through enough or what? I was annoyed with him in the second book because all he wanted to do was find his daughter Ellis, even though he never really cared for his kids to begin with. But in this one, you felt so sorry for how much he was suffering and how everybody used him for thei ...more
Jason
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, e-books
4.5 Stars
The final book in the Hater trilogy by David Moody did not disappoint. The series which started out with a large scope devolves down to Danny as the only real point of view. By this point of the series, those whom have read these books know what the shape of the world is for Danny. This post-apocalyptic thriller does not let down it its morose and bleak take on humanity.

I am a huge Moody fan and love his writing style, his raw take on the fall of our world, and his ability to make us f
Bandit
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what good postapocalyptic fiction should be like. Actually, this is what a book should be like in general. It should make you think, feel and not be able to put it down. In this powerhouse of a conclusion to Hater trilogy, Moody shows us a horrifying new world and the staggering ramifications of hate. What makes these books unique is the combination of great storytelling, incredible action, phenomenal pacing and at the same time very interesting, almost philosophical, observation ...more
Craig DiLouie
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
In THEM OR US by David Moody, the final book in the HATER trilogy, the war between the Haters and the Unchanged is almost over. As the Unchanged near extinction after a nuclear exchange, the Haters begin to turn on each other. This review includes some reflections on the complete trilogy, already a classic in the genre, and may include spoilers or hints of spoilers, so read at your risk.

HATER tells the story of an office worker crushed by a mind-numbing civil service job, nagging wife and childr
Jami
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
This was an interesting conclusion to the trilogy. At first, I wasn't sure there was any plot, but as it got going, I found that I became engrossed in the author's depiction of how the society developed when it was torn down and had to rebuild. The emergence of various classes and the overthrow of those in powerful was well portrayed. I also liked the development of Danny McCoyne. I became a fan of the trilogy based on the first book, where you didn't know who was a Hater and who was an Unchange ...more
Ryan Daley
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The final novel in the Hater series finds Danny McCoyne locked in a passive-aggressive rivalry with Hinchcliffe, the sadistic leader of a sizeable community of Haters. Strong, angry dialogue drives the plot forward, and some thoughtful, yet sparse, social subtext from Moody transforms Them or Us into more than just a basic holocaust survival novel. A contemplative, highly satisfying conclusion to his apocalyptic trilogy.
Alina
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Felt longer, slower and more boring than the other two in the series, pretty predictable, making me wonder numerous times if there's any solid plot, with an indecisive and whining and obnoxious main character.
Also, the causes of the transformation are never expalined..
Badseedgirl
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dark, dark ending, but with just the faintest gleam of hope.
Esra Kılıç

Salgın serisinin ilk iki kitabına bayılmıştım, ama bu son kitap biraz zorlama olmuş sanki. Büyük hayal kırıklığı yaşadım okurken, hatta zor bitirdim. Keşke ikinci kitabı biraz daha kalın yapıp, son eklemeleri oraya yazıp bitirseydi yazar. İşte o zaman süper bir seri olurdu. Bence gereksiz uzatılmış. Okumak zorundaydım çünkü sonunda ne olacağını bilmem gerekiyordu. O konuda da pek tatmin olduğum söylenemez. Serinin sonuna yakışır bir kitap değildi. Öfkeliler ve Değişmemişler bu sefer beni ne mera
Kate
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor Danny McCoyne. This bastard has been through it all and then still gets put through more. I thought this was the most interesting and best of the 3 books so far in that you got to see more of the strategy/thinking behind all the factions, action was interspersed with thinking/planning and lots of last second twists.
MonumentToDecency
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
TLDR: An unforgettable journey that has stayed with me for 6 years. Worth reading and worth reading again.

My rating: 4 forgotten memories out of 5

The Review is hidden somewhere in here :
I have a huge pack of ebooks my partner gave me as a present about 5-6 years back. I think there are at least 250 authors, and almost every book by each author. A lot of the books appear to be little known works or cult gems by not very well known authors, take Mira Grants Newsflesh #1-3 (which is actually
Josephine
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
You know, David Moody’s “Them or Us” is sort of how I see the world eventually going to Hell — like, maybe we won’t succumb to some weird glitch in our DNA that suddenly makes us turn on each other, but whether it’s a virus or a war or something else that decimates most of the population, I just get the sense that we’ll be woefully unprepared for it and that we won’t have the foresight to set our priorities straight to survive in the long term.

“Them or Us” is the final installment to Moody’s “Ha
Jenn
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Gitte - Bookworm's Closet
Their lives were empty, but for the hunt and the kill. It was an inescapable paradox: by destroying their enemy they were also removing their own reason to live.

The Beginning: At the height of the last English summer, the skies turned black as coal and never cleared.

I was a bit disappointed by this one, the third and final instalment of the Hater-series. I loved the first novel so much. It was unlike anything I’d read before and it got a well-deserved spot on my top 5 reads of 2013. The second
Lisa
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
...or no-one at all.

It was always going to be hard to live up to the fantastically taut and frightening opener to this series, as demonstrated by the middle entry, Dog Blood and this finale, but nonetheless this was a fitting end to the trilogy - it's hard to see where else this could have gone.

The nuclear blasts that decimated the centres of population have left the country either dead or dying, with those not killed outright now suffering from the radiation. What was left of the Unchanged popu
Holden Attradies
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
I'm assuming this is the end of the series. If so, it was an AMAZING end. Like the previous two books, the last third of the book was incredibly hard to "put down" (stop listening in my case, audio book). I was on the edge of my seat till the very last line of the book, and it was an AMAZING and chilling last line.

Danny McCoin was so different from who he started out as in the first volume, yet in many ways still the same person. In the beginning of book one the only thing that stands out about
Clait
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kind of awful. This third volume of the Hater trilogy is so miserable, so hopeless, and so thoroughly depressing that it seems like it just must be leading up to some kind of profound ending. Nothing could be further from the truth. Danny is back in full whining and worrying mode making this novel an exercise in frustration. Even when he finally makes a good decision, it takes him so long to get there, agonizing and whining endlessly, that you just don't care any more. I kept wanting Danny to be ...more
C Solis-Sublette
The third in the trilogy, this novel ended the way any such trilogy could end. So, reflecting on the series, this series is - like all good literature - the story of a man on a quest. He's searching for humanity, for life. What is it that makes life worth living? He knew at one point but, then, forgot. And that is the real tragedy of Danny McCoyne. And who is Danny but a stand in for all of us as we continue to seek out happiness in different forms and standards? So, yes, in the end this is a ph ...more
Gatorman
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic finish to the Hater trilogy. The terrific writing continues as the story of Danny McCoyne and his struggles to come to grips with a changing and dying world of Haters and Unchanged builds to a gripping and ultimately satisfying conclusion. Violent and unflinching, the story makes you care about what happens to those that are left to find some place in the world, even the bad guys. If you haven't started this series, do so now. Well worth the effort.
Bowie V.
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an outstanding read. A true thrilling rollercoaster ride of emotions. Moody is elegant with his cruel prose, painting pictures of a dying world and the remnants of humanity with sweet precision. And that finish to the title was particularly sweet and cruel, yet a pointed comment on the truth of our delicate human frailties. Absolutely loved the title. Read it today.
Erin
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book not realizing it was the final in a trilogy. Perhaps if I had read the previous two books, I would have enjoyed "Them of Us" more. The story is interesting and I love a good post-apocalyptic read, but I just couldn't get into the characters or the style of dialogue.
Henrik Rostoft
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a serious letdown after the first two.
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Disappointing. Its just dragged along with little of the suspense seen in the previous books.
Simon
Honestly I am glad to have gotten through this trilogy, although I believe there is a fourth book. I am surprised to say that I have strongly considered not even bothering to look into it.

This series was good at the start, with a rabid disease and world-ending carnage, high stakes, the survival of family and complete strangers you cared about, to nothing but the single account of a ravaged Hater, his struggle, his complaints, and his annoying repetitive and overstated thoughts.

I really lost int
Kay Smillie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Moody, my new favourite author. All roads lead to Lowestoft or at least they do in the final part of the Hater trilogy. Was it a satisfactory ending? Not sure. Was it a dark ending? Most definitely. Danny is a true anti-hero in this different from the usual suspects of apocalyptic fiction. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Waiting for the Autumn series to arrive in the post plus the two Hater linked novels.

Ray Smillie
Michelle
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just finished the 3rd novel in Moody's Hater trilogy. It was really good. Again, well written and you really feel for the main character, even if it is hate for most of it. A sad but believable view on humanity and what many of us could become. I would recommend reading all 3 to get the full story and effect, although the 2nd book is a little slow starting compared to the rest.
Abigail
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I accidentally read this as a stand alone book as I didn’t realise it was part of a series. However I still found this to be a very good book and the only issue I had with it was the lack of answers about what exactly was different about the unchanged and how the hate actually formed in other people. Despite this, it was still a great read and I will be finding the previous books in this series.
Tracy
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
One of the best endings to a trilogy I have found yet. Such an excellent book. I fell in love with all three of them.
Amy
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
Another really good installment. So poignant to the modern mindset, and actually address the paradigm shift that needs to happen in our society.
Ending Passage 3 17 Aug 25, 2012 05:49PM
The Zombie Group!: Them or Us <apocalyptic Thriller> I need your help! 3 33 Nov 22, 2011 02:40PM
Future Survivors,...: Them Or Us <Apocalyptic Thriller> I need your help! 5 53 Nov 11, 2011 01:37PM
Zombies!: Them or Us <Apocalyptic Thriller> I need your help! 1 19 Nov 10, 2011 06:36AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Them or Us Campaign 1 15 Nov 10, 2011 06:33AM
  • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • The World Is Dead
  • Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten
  • Xombies
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Frail (Dust, #2)
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Vacation (Jack Murphy, #1)
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
A pioneer of independent publishing, DAVID MOODY first released HATER in 2006, and without an agent, succeeded in selling the film rights for the novel to Mark Johnson (producer, Breaking Bad) and Guillermo Del Toro (director, The Shape of Water, Pan's Labyrinth). Moody's seminal zombie novel AUTUMN was made into an (admittedly terrible) movie starring Dexter Fletcher and David Carradine. He has a ...more

Hater (4 books)
  • Hater (Hater, #1)
  • Dog Blood (Hater, #2)
  • One of Us Will Be Dead by Morning
“Life feels like a game of Snakes and Ladders, but without any ladders.” 5 likes