Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
This topic is about The Mists of Avalon
Archived 2011 Group Reads > Mists of Avalon - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristi (last edited Jul 20, 2011 07:27AM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Discussion Leaders: Stephanie & Amanda

Reading Schedule:

Prologue and Section One: Mistress of Magic
August 7th-14th: ix-xi, 3-60 (Prologue, Chapters 1-4)
August 14th-21st: 60-97 (Chapters 5-7)
August 21st-28th: 97-137 (Chapters 8-11)
August 28th-September 4th: 138-191 (Chapters 12-16)
September 4th-11th: 191-231 (Chapters 17-20)
Section Two: The High Queen
September 11th-18th: 235-281 (Chapters 1-5)
September 18th-25th: 281-353 (Chapters 6-9)
September 25th-October 2nd: 353-419 (Chapters 10-14)
October 2nd-October 9th: 419-449 (Chapters 15-17)
Section Three: The King Stag
October 9th-116th: 453-533 (Chapters 1-5)
October 16th-23rdt: 534-591 (Chapters 6 -9)
October 23rd-30th: 591-651 (Chapters 10-13)
Section Four: The Prisoner in the Oak
October 30th-November 6th: 655-712 (Chapters 1-5)
November 6th-13th: 713-774 (Chapters 6-9)
November 13th-20th: 774-827 (Chapters 10-13)
November 20th-27th: 828-876 (Chapters 14-17. Epilogue)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I have been wanting to read this one for so long.

Amanda Me too. And now we get to read it as a group!

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha We are starting 8/7, right?

Stephanie I would like to discuss the first section on the 7th, instead of starting on the 7th...which means you'd actually start reading this weekend! :D

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Stephanie wrote: "I would like to discuss the first section on the 7th, instead of starting on the 7th...which means you'd actually start reading this weekend! :D"

Got it, that's what I wanted to make sure. Can't wait to start then!

Amanda Glad you said this Stephaie, as I was planning to do that anyway to make sure I was up to speed beforehand.

Stephanie excellent! i'm sooooo excited!

message 9: by Liz (last edited Aug 06, 2011 09:47PM) (new)

Liz I'm going to try keeping up with this group read, but am due to have a baby within the month, so . . . I'll see what I can realistically do.

I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle before buying it - $13.99 for a Kindle book?! Not sure I'm ready to spend that much on it. Maybe I'll check this one out from the library & just keep renewing it.

message 10: by Meera (new)

Meera Liz wrote: "I'm going to try keeping up with this group read, but am due to have a baby within the month, so . . . I'll see what I can realistically do.

I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle before buying..."

Liz - I got mine used from bettworldbooks.com for about $3 something.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz I'll look into it - thanks Meera.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am not surprised it is so expensive. It is a HUGE brick of a book....but on the other hand, I have only heard good things about it.

message 13: by Meera (new)

Meera oops it's betterworldbooks.com

Stephanie Liz wrote: "I'm going to try keeping up with this group read, but am due to have a baby within the month, so . . . I'll see what I can realistically do.

I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle before buying..."

oh wow! have fun with the new addition to your family! maybe this book will help you find lovely name ideas...morgaine, merlin, igraine, gorlois...excellent names! :D

eHawk hopping on this one as well. looking forward to talking with folks about this one.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz Lyn M wrote: "I am not surprised it is so expensive. It is a HUGE brick of a book....but on the other hand, I have only heard good things about it."

I'm not hugely surprised that it's an expensive one either b/c it's so big, but I was crossing my fingers that it would have been under $10? I've bought a couple chunksters that were around $5 - $8, so I guess that's what I was expecting. I'm really liking the sample so far though. The Prologue alone is so interesting. I think I may end up just buying the Kindle edition, so I don't have to try holding the brick of a library book. :)

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz And Stephanie, great name ideas! Of course I'll have to run them by my husband - LOL.

message 18: by Shea (new)

Shea I saved my copy from the recycle pile at our Friends of the Library donation day last summer. It is not in fabulous shape so we didn't want to sell it but it has all of it's pages and it was FREE! :-)

message 19: by Tasha (last edited Aug 10, 2011 04:45AM) (new)

Tasha I got my copy from paperbackswap.com.

message 20: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 I've had a copy sitting around for years and am excited to finally start reading it! :)

Stephanie Judy wrote: "I read the first week's section. Its got me curious what terrible thing Morgause is going to do...."

Come on over to the discussion of the first part and tell us what you think she'll do! :D

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz Even though I really want to read this one, I'm deciding to save it for later. I'm going to finish Vanity Fair before the month is over (hopefully before this week is through) & am crossing my fingers that I'll be ready for East of Eden. My baby is due in less than two weeks, so we'll see what I can realistically read. :)

message 23: by Shea (new)

Shea Congratulations Liz, I wish you a safe and quick birth.

Oh I am already so far behind. I finished "Vanity Fair" and am keeping up with "Uncle Silas" but I think either "The Three Musketeers" or "Mists of Avalon" will have to be dropped. School is starting soon and with it PTO responsibilities as well as soccer--all in addition to my full time job and regular motherhood. :-( I guess I will have to read the first few chapters of "Mists" and if it calls to me more than Dumas the "Three Musketeers" will have to go.

message 24: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Wishing you a safe and easy delivery Liz! So very exciting :)

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Thanks you guys - due in 4 more days! And I plan on finishing Vanity Fair today, so at least I'll get that chunkster off my list. :)

message 26: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Sorry guys, I'm backing out of this one. I'm falling behind and just not interested in catching up. I'm not enjoying the read.

Amanda I'm sorry about that Tasha, but I understand. I fell behind a little myself and I'm co-leading it!

message 28: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha (marthas48) I'm a little behind as well, but am enjoying it ... just hard to hold such a big book. I hope to catch up this week.

message 29: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex I'm about three weeks behind now - it's because I've started a new job and my reading time has disappeared :-/ Hoping to catch up though.

message 30: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 18, 2011 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stephanie martha and zee, i'm glad that you are reading it, even if you are behind! *whispers* i'm still reading _vanity fair_ and hope to finish it before the holiday season.

can't wait to read what you think of _mists..._!

Amanda It's cool that you guys are behind - it's just nice to know you're still reading along! If you want to post your ideas in the relevant sections when you're ready, I'll still be checking back.

message 32: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha (marthas48) Thanks, Amanda and Stephanie. I was thinking this morning as I scratched my itchy left hand that one of the first things I plan to do after retirement (or semi-retirement, since I don't seem to be able to commit to full retirement) is to have carpal tunnel surgery done. Then maybe I can hold the bigger books without my hands tingling, itching or going numb! LOL

Amanda Hi all,

It seems that some of us might have fallen behind schedule (I know I have!) and Stephanie and I were wondering if you would all like to put the schedule on hold to give you all some time to catch up?

Also, Stephanie has reminded me there is a film adaptation of Mists of Avalon available. Perhaps we could follow on the tradition from Vanity Fair and watch the film after the schedule has been completed?

Give us your thoughts.

message 34: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha (marthas48) I'm for putting the schedule on hold. I'm pretty far behind now. And would like to watch the film adaptation. I believe I saw it when it came out.

Liz   (lizvegas) I'm a little behind. I'd like some time to catch up, if everyone else is on board :)

Stephanie Martha wrote: "Thanks, Amanda and Stephanie. I was thinking this morning as I scratched my itchy left hand that one of the first things I plan to do after retirement (or semi-retirement, since I don't seem to be ..."

i hadn't notice this before...i totally understand martha...that book is so farking big that i don't carry it with me places...i've been getting a lot of reading done, but not of Mist of Avalon. :D

and...i'm so glad that you all want to slow down a bit! hopefully postponing will give us all a chance to catch up! see you all soon!

thanks!

message 37: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) So are we talking a week, or more than that? I usually throw in a catch-up week when I notice people falling behind. What's the consensus, would a week give everyone time to catch up??

Stephanie i'm going to speak for the whole group :P and say a week??? would be grand! :D

message 39: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Cool, go for it!

Stephanie lovely thanks! :D

Loretta (lorettalucia) How is progress on this moving along? Has the schedule shifted at all? It looks like we're approaching time to nominate/vote for our next book, but want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun.

message 42: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 08, 2011 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stephanie i think that's a good idea, we're just one week behind i original schedule, but it looks good to proceed. what do you think, amanda and others?

Amanda Sounds good to me.

Catherine (catsmeeow) Sounds good =)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Okay, I'll open up a nomination thread soon, probably over the weekend.

message 46: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon Sounds good! I really need to catch up majorly though.

Stephanie brandon, catch up and comment. i love reading your thoughts! :D

message 48: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon Stephanie wrote: "brandon, catch up and comment. i love reading your thoughts! :D"

Haha thank you! And yes ma'am!! :D And your discussions are amazing!

Gaijinmama Sorry I don't have time to join you this month, but some general comments as a longtime fan of this book.
It was published when I was 16, and it absolutely blew me away! Its historical basis is debatable, and the author herself was always clear that it was a work of fiction, but it definitely inspired lots of us to broaden our horizons and look into pre-Christian spiritual practices and various magical possibilities!

I got my first deck of Tarot cards that same year, Mwahahaha....

« previous 1