Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What do you remember as way cool when you were a kid that maybe isn't so magical?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I just saw this awesome picture of the Discovery flight deck:

It makes me want to press all the buttons and pretend I know how everything works.

I remember my father's office feeling like that when I was eight. So many mysterious machines.

Also, his building (which also housed my school) had all these cool hidden rooms and staircases, like a 4 1/2 floor mezzanine only accessible from a back staircase. I was convinced that there was a secret room somewhere that housed King Solomon's missing throne.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The movie Xanadu. I thought it was so magical, but now it's just cheesy.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) When I was 4 my grandfather had a copy machine. It was AMAZING!

I still think secret rooms are cool.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Secret rooms will always be cool.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Fancy refrigerators with the side-by-side doors, and a water and ice dispenser in the door. I thought those were SO COOL.
Now, I think the water tastes funny. :)

message 6: by Cyril (new)

Cyril DisneyWorld - so cool as a kid, so tiresome as a parent.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Back when Chuck E. Cheese's had the big theater room with all of the animatronic puppets on stage, I used to think those were the coolest thing.

30 years later, the things are pretty much gone because today's kids would think they were stupid.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Magic Rocks and Sea Monkeys--I was amazed by both.
Chocolate whipped cream.
Space sticks--does anyone remember those?
Going to someone's house who didn't have kids.

I thought all of the above were way cool when I was little.

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) Skip-its and Chia pets!

message 10: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments The movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (with the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton) I'll still watch it for the cheez, if not for the magic.

[image error]

Also, riding lawn mowers: what was once a novelty is now a chore.

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jul 12, 2011 04:28PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments A dentist came to my preschool class to talk with us about dental health... he brought a paper dollhouse with him. When he'd talk to the tooth fairy living in the dollhouse, he'd get a response from the fairy with a flickering light that was supposed to be the fairy that only he could hear - it was controlled by the lightswitches behind the house that he would flick so that we'd think it was a real conversation. I thought dentists were cool after that. They could REALLY talk with the tooth fairy who actually lived in a paper dollhouse.

Also, one time when I was a kid, my grandparents took me to a puppet show at Dogpatch USA. They said I kept bugging to puppets with questions and the puppeteers were really wanting to take a break. I thought they were real and very fascinating. I attended every single puppet show of theirs that day.

At Disney world - Space Mountain, I really thought we were going through space and it scared me because I thought we'd lose gravity's hold on us and float away into space.

The slide to the swimming pool at the Polynesian Village Resort - I thought they built the entire resort around this cool mountain that had a slide built in it which was so perfect for the swimming pool that they built around it. It's clearly fake rock.

It's a Small World - I was pissed that they made those happy little kids/puppets from all over the world stick around in water... what if they had to go to the bathroom?! What about lunchtime? Did they get a lunchbreak? Did the kids from Asia ever visit the Dutch kids and trade shoes?

message 12: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Koeeoaddi wrote: "John Wanamaker's department store in Philadelphia, now long gone, had a little train that went around the ceiling of its toy department. When I was a kid I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

"

That is the coolest thing ever! I wish I had ridden in it!

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jul 12, 2011 07:40PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24262 comments Mod
Filing. My father had me do some filing in his office when I was maybe 9 and I thought it was so interesting the way things were filed....alphabetically.

The first time we got a refrigerator with a water dispenser on the door, that was pretty cool.

The Bonne Bell roll-on lip gloss. That glass ball. (I didn't use it, but the teenagers did. I used to ask if I could go through their purses.)

Soft drink vending machines would inspire the most insane desire in me for soft drinks. I definitely wanted the drinks, but just as much I wanted to feed the coins in and hear the soda bang down through the machine.

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I remember thinking mercury was cool. If the thermometer broke, the blob of mercury that was released had the most amazing properties. How we never got mercury poisoning is beyond me.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments Using Silly Putty, flatten it out, and stick on the Sunday comics. Then hold up to a mirror so we could read it! ;)

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Caddying.

I still like Silly Putty.

message 17: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Pop Rocks.

message 18: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Allison wrote: "Skip-its and Chia pets!"

Someone gave my daughter a cheap-ass version of a Skip-it recently and it didn't work AT ALL. I was so excited and then I tried to show her and it was super lame.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sparklers were cool then and so were those little black pellet snake deals. not now. i need real fire

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) smetchie wrote: "Allison wrote: "Skip-its and Chia pets!"

Someone gave my daughter a cheap-ass version of a Skip-it recently and it didn't work AT ALL. I was so excited and then I tried to show her and it was supe..."

That IS super lame! Toys today are just not nearly as good as they used to be.

message 21: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Swimming in ponds, playing in mud, downpours, hail, snow, pulling the buds off peonies before they bloom & throwing them at each other.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Tang, card games where you had to lay all the cards out on the floor face down.

message 23: by Heidi (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:28AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jammies wrote: "Pop Rocks."

I second that. Also... hula hoops, slinky, & easy bake oven.

message 24: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) Traffic lights.

I couldn't figure out how they worked, and didn't believe my parents when they tried to explain.
After much deliberation, I concluded that midgets sat in them and made the lights change with flashlights.

message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments lol.....good thought at a young age! :)

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) Speaking of easy bake ovens, I want to add the barbie ice cream maker and diner to this list.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments Helena, I still love dancing in the rain!

Sea Monkeys, teetherball, hula hoops, those skates you strapped on over your shoes, paperdolls, playing office and, yes, easy bake ovens. Mine was cool. My kids', on the other hand, was a pain in the ass.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Wait til he realizes that he's just a hand puppet too...

message 29: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Speaking of dinosaurs, I lived 40 miles away from Dinosaur Provinical Park in Alberta. We would often go there for a Sunday picnic. I thought it was so cool to look for dinosaur bones, climbing over the dunes. We used to be able to take whatever we found home until they stopped that. Then all we brought home were cactus spikes in our feet. Having my mother dig them out wasn't so cool.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ouchie.

message 31: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) | 107 comments Star Wars. It was the best thing ever as a kid. Even in college, it was cool. Looking at it now... it's a cheesy B movie with a simplistic plot that doesn't bear too much scrutiny and special effects that aren't nearly as cool as they were 35 years ago.

message 32: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) We thought Sesame Street was the coolest. I was in high school when it first came out and we would go to the students' lounge to watch.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Silly Putty. I got some at Target for $1 a while back and I finally opened it up this weekend and it wasn't fun.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is Tang still available?

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments Only on the moon...

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments RA, i started typing a tang joke...

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Only through the Wu-Tang Clan.

message 38: by Jammies (new)

Jammies RandomAnthony wrote: "Is Tang still available?"

It is, and did you know it was invented by the same guy who invented pop rocks?

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Jammies wrote: "It is, and did you know it was invented by the same guy who invented pop rocks?"

He was the Thomas Edison of weird artificial food.

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
I still drink Tang. love it.

message 41: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Quadrophonic sound.

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Wait a minute... Sally, why are you "less friendly"? I don't like that descriptor.

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm mean to the newbies. It's been said.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

::wads up fist of sodden tissues::

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Completely misunderstood!

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't understand.

message 47: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Hidden compartments and treasures. Time travel.

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments You were a time traveler in your early youth? Very cool.

message 49: by Lorri (new)

Lorri (lorricable) | 28 comments CD Walkman, glow sticks, slap bracelets, Reebok Pumps

message 50: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) Those magnetic structures that you could change. Or the one with the 5 silver balls that clinked back and forth. LiteBrite.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.