flight paths discussion

About Books & Reading > On an island...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) You are about to be stranded on a deserted island. (This is not like the island on "Lost." There are not libraries filled with a vast variety of books.) You must choose three books to take with you. These are the only books you will have to read until you are eaten by cannibals, go stark raving mad, or finally die after umpteen lonely years on the island.

What three books do you choose and why?

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments I hate these questions. I was going to ignore it but I can't forget about it.

The idea being books I can lose myself in but won't get bored.

I suppose "How to build a boat on a desert island with no tools" would be cheating?

So far, William Shakespeare: The Complete Works, Deluxe Edition, The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic, and Little Dorrit (so I'll finally have to finish it).

Plus all the bits & pieces of books I already have in my head.

But that's just today's list. Like Kinkajou, 4 & 5 keep pushing their way in.

But really, isn't life difficult enough without imagining worse scenarios?

How about it's 110 degrees, your deposit is due on your son's school, you don't know if he'll be able to get a GED let alone a job & your daughter hasn't worked in 2 years-oh, wait. That's real life.

Maybe your scenario isn't so bad after all!

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Kinkajou wrote: "Be eaten, go nuts or die. Wow, such choices ;)

LOL!

@Ellie - Well, isn't somebody being a Grumpy Gus? (said in my grandmother's voice)

These random questions and impossible scenarios frequently pop into my head. I like to torture other people with them as well. :D

message 4: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 13, 2011 12:41AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments I will paddle over with the mobile library raft.

The Lord of the Rings only read it 4 times

The Masters of Solitude seemed apt

Eon just in case I'm stuck with Magdelanye, something to discuss for a long time.

Actually I would take any of you with me to discuss with, might not be so much fun for you though.

message 5: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Ellie wrote: "I hate these questions. I was going to ignore it but I can't forget about it.

The idea being books I can lose myself in but won't get bored.

I suppose "How to build a boat on a desert island ... doesn't count."

Why not?
I think its a brilliant choice.
Agree with Ellie somewhat in that these kinds of questions are a real sidetrack, but sometimes fun.
I like the idea of being stranded on a desert island.Only 3 books though! Now is when I would want an e-reader!
Today my choices are:
Remembrance of Things Past: Remembrance of Things Past Volume 1-3 Box Set by Marcel Proust Care of the Soul A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life by Thomas Moore The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Kinkajou wrote: "Be eaten, go nuts or die. Wow, such choices ;)

LOL!

@Ellie - Well, isn't somebody being a Grumpy Gus? (said in my grandmother's voice)

These random questions and impossible scen..."

Yes, I get grumpy in this heat. Sorry. :9

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jul 13, 2011 03:34AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments I have given the matter a bit more considerstion.
I really need to finish Being and Time by Martin Heidegger

But which book to jettison?
I really can't abide these gruelling kinds of choices.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Two mentions of Proust? Now I'll have to add that to my TBR list! And, as far as length, it's a great Deserted Island book. The complete volume (Proust 6-pack) is over 4,000 pages! Gasp.

Lord of the Rings? Excellent choice, Ice. That would keep me entertained for eons.

Ellie, that dictionary looks fabulous!

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Kinkajou wrote: "For the record, this question has now made me decide to avoid ships and planes for as long as possible."

Actually, the scenario that popped into my head (which sounds like an interesting premise for a book or screenplay) involved abduction by a mysterious government organization. So, no need to fear ships and planes...just creepy men wearing red sports jackets and sunglasses. :D

message 10: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jul 13, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I've thought of two of my choices, but am still undecided on a third.

#1 The Chronicles of Narnia
The Chronicles of Narnia (#1-7) by C.S. Lewis

#2 The Stand
The Stand by Stephen King

message 11: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) This is a TOUGH question. For sure, one would be
Pride and Prejudice and next, something substantial, but worth a reread, like
The Brothers Karamazov.
The 3rd one would probably be something philosophical, to keep the old noggin working. Will have to think about it.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Kinkajou wrote: "Oh, good, now I can worry about badly dressed men wearing sunglasses."

Well, at least it's only the ones wearing sunglasses...that narrows it down a bit! LOL

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ok, I've decided on my third book. It's always been one of my favs, and at almost 1,500 pages, it should keep me entertained (until the cannibals find me).

#3 Les Miserables
Les Miserables (Signet Classics) by Victor Hugo

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments I know: I'll bring some Ayn Rand, just for them! :-)

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Today my choices areThe Catholic Study BibleThe Location of Culture by Homi K. Bhabha and The Complete Poems, 1927-1979, Elizabeth Bishop.

I figure the bible will keep me going (away from cannibals), I'll finally be able to thoroughly & repeatedly read the Bhabha (except I wouldn't want the cannibals to know I was possibly an imperialist even if I was theoretically on their side, just not in their pots!) and Bishop's lines are both soothing & challenging.

But tomorrow I'll probably put in Anthony Trollope so I can pretend I'm clean & well-served by others (I meant the servant class but apparently on this island I might actually end up being well served-to others. Au jus? a la mode?)

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Ellie wrote: "Today my choices areThe Catholic Study BibleThe Location of Culture by Homi K. Bhabha and The Complete Poems, 1927-1979, [author:Elizabeth ..."

Havent finished any of these books yet, or even heard of the first one. Will we have inter-library loans?

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Inter-island loans? On the back of the sharks?

Of course.

The "first" one got mushed together. I guess that's why you never heard of it, lol. It would be quite a combination!

It should read The Catholic Study Bible (I figure that the extra historical information and other footnotes would be nice-the more material the better. And the Bible, aside from spiritual considerations, which do matter to me, has every genre imaginable. Lots of poetry, lots of stories-sex, violence, action. I mean Everything.)

And number 2 would be The Location of Culture by Homi K. Bhabha. I love Bhabha & I feel I haven't read Location nearly deeply enough. And hopefully I'll be able to focus on the island and have lots of time. And it will give me an ongoing intellectual challenge.

And to elaborate a little on the Bishop, her poetry is like sculpture: beautiful, clean lines, touching but somehow distant simultaneously. I've never gotten tired of reading her so I'm hoping that she would last until the cannibals came.

What I want the books I choose to provide is: intellectual challenge & sustenance; emotional gratification; escape to another world; and beauty. Great writing. Words I won't get tired of. New ways to create meaning and (here's that word again) frame the narrative of my life.

I want what I always want in my reading only to the max.
I think it would really take 4 books to do that but I'm working on it. This might be it.

For now.

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Ellie said>>What I want the books I choose to provide is: intellectual challenge & sustenance; emotional gratification; escape to another world; and beauty. Great writing. Words I won't get tired of. New ways to create meaning....
You nailed it....well said Ellie

message 19: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments :)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ellie wrote: "Inter-island loans? On the back of the sharks?"

Books would get rather soggy transported by shark. Maybe we could train seagulls to be carrier pigeons.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Kinkajou wrote: "I wonder if there's anyway to convince the cannibals to go vegetarian. They're starting to worry me."

Sorry, they've been genetically engineered to be blood thirsty. Blame it on those **** men in red sport coats.

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments For some odd reason, this reminds me of the time I was mugged 30 years ago. I had just bought 2 Edmund Wilson, To the Finland Station and Patriotic Gore: Studies in the Literature of the American Civil War. Even then, I figured I only had a small window of time when I would be able to read these books, which even in paperback cost what seemed like a fortune back then, and I get grabbed by 3 teenagers & all I can say is, Look take the pocketbook but please don't take the books-you're never going to read them, believe me.

And the one in front of me (the other 2 were behind me)looked to be about 14 & he looks at me with disbelief, waves a gun in my face and says with frustration in his voice, "Look lady, this is a gun!"

So I gave them the books. And I was right-I never again was in the space to want to read To the Finland Station or Patriotic Gore: Studies in the Literature of the American Civil War. Although I've never forgotten the exact feel, look, and even smell of those books (although I can't remember why I was wanting to read Edmund Wilson 2 weeks after my mother had died-I'm often a mystery to myself! :#

But I'm pretty positive those boys didn't read the Wilson either. Although imagine a story in which one of them did & it - or the act of trying to read it meant something, good or bad, that changed the course of his life.

But I think they were kind of like the cannibals: not going to be persuaded by literary diversions.

See, I could be dissuaded from pretty much anything, maybe even remembering to breathe, by an interesting discussion, especially about a good book but a socio-political rant often works as well. Or a psychological analysis of the situation.

Between that & my natural inclination to anxiety, I'm really glad I was never drawn into a criminal life.

Or a cannibal one for that matter.

message 23: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Forgive my above rant folks: my Sunday night work anxiety has apparently hijacked my mind! (Unfortunately, nothing ever seems to hijack my mouth!)

message 24: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments I know-I do like to play with that story in my mind.

And I still find the vision of this bookish 22 year old arguing with a 14 year old mugger about Edmund Wilson hilarious. I'm lucky he didn't shoot me for the implied elitism of "You'll never read it."

Although I find it extremely difficult to believe he did.

message 25: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I wonder if this is their theme song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCJJk...

message 28: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments I can dance to that!
I reposted the video to my FB wall, having minutes ago just scrolled through some absolutely amazing photos from back in the day when we put on a christmas show at the club we frequented. I will try to figure out how I could post here the picture of me as the blue fairy.
we loved this song.

message 29: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jul 19, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) And here's some books NOT to read...

The Book of Cannibals by Anthony Giangregorio
The Book of Cannibals

Book of Cannibals 2 The Hunger by Rebecca Besser
The Book of Cannibals 2

"Human meat...the ultimate taboo. Deep down, in the dark recesses of your mind, can you honestly say you never wondered how it might taste?"

Oh my.

message 30: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 20, 2011 12:43AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments Other books I might not like to have with me
The Tempest
Lord of the Flies

And ones bringing hope
Robinson Crusoe
The Swiss Family Robinson

The ability to swim long distances as my avatar helps replenish the library stock (my own ability is close to managing a few yards - never liked swimming or water for that matter).

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments I'd love to see how Lord of the Flies plays out in a community of one.

Could be ugly.

message 32: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 20, 2011 04:31AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments Multiple Virtual Personality Disorder (as you know) so I'll add Set This House in Order

Otherwise remember one of the options before 'or' is that the cannibals have a head start !

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ellie wrote: "I'd love to see how Lord of the Flies plays out in a community of one. Could be ugly."

Ever read Sybil?

message 34: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Ice wrote: "Multiple Virtual Personality Disorder ...

a new one for the books!
I think you are really on to something here.
This may be the diagnosis for our times.

message 35: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 20, 2011 06:29AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments Which one of us were you talking to !

:-) :-? :-/ :-( :-! :-D

It's like Pins and Passwords, far too many for an old bear to remember.

I have seen reveiws for Sybil but not come across it before.

message 36: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments I guess HRO and I posted those comments at the same time, because her comment was not there when I wrote my reply to Ice.
Ice,the comment is directed to you, but begs for discussion.

What is Pins and Passwords?

as for Sybil. Just the cover was enough to scare the shit out of me.

message 37: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments :-) I knew the posting was for "us", "we" were just deciding which one. Most people have just a public and a private face ........ I get them mixed up.

I should have typed PINs and Passwords. Too many online registrations, credit cards etc, and then there are ones for work that you have to change frequently.

The Litany of Fear from Dune springs to mind.

message 38: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Actually, I loved Sybil: The True and Extraordinary Story of a Woman Possessed By Sixteen Separate Personalities. After I saw Sally Field's performance, I must have read the book a dozen times.

Scary huh?

I'd forgotten all about it. Field was so good.

message 39: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Hmmm.@Ellie: I loved snake pit and the 3 faces of eve, but it took me a long time to get over my initial reaction to Sybil, like about 15 years, and I was surprised by how credible the woman was,,,I'd in fact forgotten how much I liked the book in the end.
never seen the movie...

message 40: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Ice wrote: ":-) I knew the posting was for "us", "we" were just deciding which one. Most people have just a public and a private face ........ I get them mixed up.

I should have typed PINs and Passwords. ..."

I am going to brood on this and try for coherence later

message 41: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Ice wrote: "I will paddle over with the mobile library raft.

The Lord of the Rings only read it 4 times

The Masters of Solitude seemed apt

Eon just in case I'm stuck with Magdelanye..."

did not know what to think of this comment but yesterday picked uo Eon so I get that part now....

message 42: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jul 29, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "I've thought of two of my choices, but am still undecided on a third.

#1 The Chronicles of Narnia
The Chronicles of Narnia (#1-7) by C.S. Lewis

#2 The Stand
[bookcover:Th..."

well I thought I better read the Stand...we have 12 SK but not that one

message 43: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments It's ironic, havent been here for a while, our own desert island.....
last night when I couldn't connect, I felt so stranded, cut off from the life of the group. Now that sounds a bit weird to me but its hard to explain. I had this very real fear that I had lost everybody, because there was no way of connecting.
I suppose we are all desert islands (yes yes the sentiment has been expressed before) but last night that metaphor became vivid for me.
Maybe I love GR so much is that it provides just the right amount of intimacy that I need. All the unessentials are just that, unessential. Gender, age, social standing, annoying habits (oh we must have some) are irrelevant in the mind to mind exchanges that get right to the heart of things.
Um, do you know what I mean?
What really scares me is how addicted to the box have become. Which moves me to another thread...

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I don't feel like that about GR but I most definitely do about facebook. I live alone and work from home, so facebook is often my only contact with other humans for days at a time.

message 45: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "I don't feel like that about GR but I most definitely do about facebook. I live alone and work from home, so facebook is often my only contact with other humans for days at a time."

Now this is curious. Maybe because you have your other book groups GR is less important. I find facebook interesting, and more so because I am I only add personal friends that I already know who are for the most part not living in Vancouver. I enjoy exchanging art and music and current events that dont make it into mainstream media.But very little development of conversation, nothing that rocks my world like some of the GR comments and reviews.
So for me its GR then youtube then hotmail then facebook if I have time.

would we have internet on the island?

message 46: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments Via Satellite, subject to solar storms

message 47: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Aug 02, 2011 10:56PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments we'd also need something to shield our laptops from the swirling sands.

message 48: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 748 comments Well I am facebookless - last time I looked there were 14 of me. So internet is optional apart from GR.

Whatever I take it will have to be rechargeable.

Walking upside down with the satellites passing by, I dream.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Somehow the organization on GR doesn't work for my brain. Everything seems so confused and muddled, and I can't keep track of everything, and everyone seems so distant. It doesn't feel coherent and connected to me.

Facebook is like this huge community of people I've known all through my life and it's just amazing all the discussions and silliness we get into. And it makes the world seem so HUGE.

message 50: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Aug 03, 2011 06:55AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Somehow the organization on GR doesn't work for my brain. Everything seems so confused and muddled, and I can't keep track of everything, and everyone seems so distant. It doesn't feel coherent and..."

Thats how I feel about facebook.
Even when I make a comment on my sons page, which I seldom do, it feels silly. I feel too much like a deer in headlights, and there are so many distractions plus idotic stuff that is foisted on me. Now that I have got adblock, thats not a problem on GR.
But I am glad that you have that kind of FB community, and if it pleases you, I would be happy to be your fiend there too. GR just seems deeper.