The Sword and Laser discussion

Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens #7)
This topic is about Fuzzy Nation
2011 Reads > FN: Our alternate pick

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Hope you enjoy the alternate pick as much as I've been!

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 834 comments First time listening to a book as an audio book, mostly because Wil Wheaton is reading it and I couldn't find an ebook version.

I'm in two chapters and really liking it. Seems like a nice side read to the heavy ADwD.

message 3: by Gordon (new) - added it

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Which book is it? I'm at work and can't listen to the show right now, sadly.

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Gord, the book is Fuzzy Nation... Sorry, didn't put the name because it's in the discussion folder Fuzzy Nation already, you might not be able to see that on mobile.

message 5: by Gordon (last edited Jul 12, 2011 09:05AM) (new) - added it

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Thanks! I've been meaning to catch some of Scalzi's work since listening to the two Metatropolis books, which Wil Wheaton also worked on if I'm not mistaken, at least the Audible versions. They were excellent.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Anne wrote: "First time listening to a book as an audio book, mostly because Wil Wheaton is reading it and I couldn't find an ebook version.

I'm in two chapters and really liking it. Seems like a nice side rea..."

My first time listening to a book too. Thought it might be easier to listen to the Fuzzies on audio book since I am reading it along side 'A Dance with Dragons'

message 7: by Gordon (new) - added it

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Oh and there's the name of the book right up there. Apparently I am going blind today from staring at Visio flow charts all morning.

Michael (michaelbetts) Looks like I'll be reading two books this month!

message 9: by Richelle (new) - added it

Richelle (richellet) | 37 comments Is that just me, or are both of the books we are currently reading only in hard cover? *counts pennies in piggy bank*

Robert H (chiroho) | 25 comments Richelle wrote: "Is that just me, or are both of the books we are currently reading only in hard cover? *counts pennies in piggy bank*"

Yes, seems like it's either the hard cover edition, or the Kindle edition.

Vladimir | 33 comments Robert wrote: "Richelle wrote: "Is that just me, or are both of the books we are currently reading only in hard cover? *counts pennies in piggy bank*"

Yes, seems like it's either the hard cover edition, or the K..."

Or Audible.

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Richelle wrote: "Is that just me, or are both of the books we are currently reading only in hard cover? *counts pennies in piggy bank*"

I think it's because they both came out recently. I managed to get a brand new copy from the library; I love getting the first read on a library book.

message 13: by Richelle (new) - added it

Richelle (richellet) | 37 comments Boots, I lucked out to0! Just found out my library has a copy of A Dance with Dragons but are "processing it" to be put out on the shelves soon. I've already reserved it :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2858 comments Little Fuzzy, on the other hand, which is the original story upon which Fuzzy Nation is based, is free online because of it's age.

message 15: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Sage | 11 comments I'm halfway through and really liking it so far. I'm glad there was something for me, as I'm just beginning AGoT! It's a quick read too, which I think is good alongside an epic like ADWD.

message 16: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken | 141 comments Nice chuckle when they are watching the Ewok scene in Return of the Jedi.

message 17: by Chaines72 (new)

Chaines72 | 4 comments I just bought a Kindle.. Think this may be my first e-book. Still working my way through Game of Thrones #1 on Audible. Amazing book but it's taking me forever. Something like 24 hours long. I listen every chance I get and still can't seem to get through it.

message 18: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Cameron | 25 comments Got to say, I am loving the book.

terpkristin | 4142 comments As I posted in my review, I thought this book was pretty mediocre. One thing I really didn't like, and it became really obvious in the Audible version, was the dialog. There were a lot of two-word statements by characters that would be followed by "he said" or "she said." "Ok," he said. "I see," she said. "Are you sure?" he said...

That drove me NUTS listening to it. I also don't think I liked Wil Wheaton as a narrator. Something about it felt awkward. Oh well.

All in all I thought the book wasn't terrible...it just wasn't spectacular, either.

message 20: by Chaines72 (last edited Aug 06, 2011 07:34AM) (new)

Chaines72 | 4 comments Decided to read something requiring a little less thought. Between the Gargoyle and Game of Thrones I needed a break. I've always been a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child Fan so I opted to start their newest series with Gideon's Sword. They are very good at fact based fiction.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments Chaines72 wrote: "Decided to read something requiring a little less thought. Between the Gargoyle and Game of Thrones I needed a break. I've always been a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child Fan so I opted to start their newest series with Gideon's Sword. They are very good at fact based fiction."

Perhaps the one I read was not representative of the body of their work, but I thought that The Wheel of Darkness was just plain horrible. Certainly a lot more fantasy than fact.

Was this just a stinker and their other books are worth reading?