Start by marking “Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens #7)” as Want to Read:
Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens #7)

Fuzzy Nation

(Fuzzy Sapiens #7)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  30,221 ratings  ·  2,673 reviews
Jack Holloway works alone, for reasons he doesn't care to talk about. Hundreds of miles from ZaraCorp's headquarters on planet, 178 light-years from the corporation's headquarters on Earth, Jack is content as an independent contractor, prospecting and surveying at his own pace. As for his past, that's not up for discussion.

Then, in the wake of an accidental cliff collapse,
Published May 10th 2011 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Fuzzy Nation, please sign up.
Eric You may not have realized it, but this book is a reboot. There are already two books about Fuzzies written by H. Beam Piper. They are a bit dated (the…moreYou may not have realized it, but this book is a reboot. There are already two books about Fuzzies written by H. Beam Piper. They are a bit dated (they were originally written in the 1960s), but I thoroughly enjoyed reading them when I was in my teens (which was merely a decade ago). Unfortunately there were nothing else. H. Beam Piper committed suicide.(less)
Chelsea There are some mentions of sex (as well as discussion of alien biology/reproduction) but nothing on screen. There is a fair bit of strong language too…moreThere are some mentions of sex (as well as discussion of alien biology/reproduction) but nothing on screen. There is a fair bit of strong language too. (less)

·  30,221 ratings  ·  2,673 reviews

Start your review of Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens #7)
Wil Wheaton
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
All this week, I'm reading Fuzzy Nation for the audio book. Once again, I am overwhelmed with gratitude that I get to read a wonderful book, written by a wonderful author, and I get paid to do it. ...more
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scalzi-john
If they weren´t that cute, nobody would care, slimy stinky snails, poisonous insects, or irritating amphibians wouldn´t trigger the same, positive cuteness induced response. Aren´t we a strange, subjective, cognitive dissonance dominated, and extremely superficial species?

It´s amazing how Scalzi uses his humor for a more serious topic than just humans killing everything and another in military sci-fi, instead sensitizing for the importance of biodiversity and an intact environment.

The deeper,
Lyn
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
John Scalzi has accomplished that rarest of achievements, not only modernizing an idea and freshening it for a new generational audience, but also making it better. This wonderful book should be made into a film and directed by a collaboration of Joe Dante and Adam Sandler.

In an editorial note, Scalzi describes writing Fuzzy Nation as a “reboot” of the classic 1962 science fiction novel Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper. Scalzi explains that as great a work as Piper had, it was clearly dated from th
Stephen
Friends...this here is a Fuzzy**:
Photobucket
**The tiny guy not the grunge rocker dude

Fuzzies are like intelligent, bi-pedal cats the size of a raccoon...which makes them just about as saturated in adorable and cuddle-worthiness as you can get. They are like ewoks only cute, smart, endearing, pleasant to be around, brave, noble, plot-enhancing and 100% non-assclowny:
Photobucket

Fuzzy Nation is a wonderfully successful reboot of H. Beam Piper’s popular, 1962 classic, Little Fuzzy.
With deep respect for Piper
Patrick
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I never read the original story Scalzi drew inspiration from (H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy).

Despite the fact that I read this blind, I really enjoyed the book. It had all the pleasantly nostalgic feel of a classic golden-age sci-fi story, but without the ponderous description and opaque language that tends to make some of those older stories less than easy reading....
David Putnam
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read all genres as long as they are well written with strong craft and characters. One of my favorite Scifi novels of recent years was Old Man's War, what a great tale, highly recommend it. Ghost Brigade was almost as good but after that one they started to flag as far as quality and I lost interest. I picked up Fuzzy Nation and could not put the book down. The writing isn't complicated but the characters are excellent and the story just pulls you along. The premise is kind of out there but th ...more
Dan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, sf, 2011, the-scalz
On Zara XXIII, disbarred lawyer and current mineral prospector Jack Holloway finds an unimaginably valuable seam of sunstones, one that will make him unbelievably rich. Shortly thereafter, Holloway meets some of the world's native life, catlike creatures he names Fuzzys. Unfortunately, the Fuzzys appear to be sentient, putting Jack's, and ZaraCorp's, claim on the trillion credit sunstone seam in jeopardy. What's a prospector to do?

The Scalz does it again. Fuzzy Nation is a hilarious re-imagingin
Kevin Kelsey
Terrific. Just a really great feel good story.
Phrynne
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this one five stars because it was funny, very entertaining and all in all an excellent read!
If you do not normally read science fiction do not be put off because that is a very minor part of it. Okay so there are space ships and a few non human creatures but basically the story is about the awful things we can do to the environment in order to make money and how sometimes a few people come forward to fight the fight and maybe even win.
Jack is an unlikely hero but a very likeable one
Amanda
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
I have never read a John Scalzi novel before, but I certainly don't think this will be my last. Fuzzy Nation is apparently a "reboot" of an earlier science fiction classic, although that's a novel with which I am unfamiliar (so I can't offer any comparisons to how Scalzi's reimagining of the novel measures up to the original). What I can say is that Scalzi's novel is both humorous and thought-provoking.

Fuzzy Nation is set in a future where mankind has successfully managed deep space exploration
Megan Baxter
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fuzzy Nation, a retelling of H. Beam Piper's classic Little Fuzzy, is a quick and fairly easy read, but one that I thoroughly enjoyed. I would sit down, and fifty pages would fly by faster than it seemed they possibly could. Here is not dense narrative prose. This is straightforward, moves along well, and is often funny and always entertaining.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision
Timothy Urgest
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jack Holloway, anti-hero extraordinaire, is a former lawyer/current surveyor contracted to work on the planet Zarathustra XXIII. Holloway discovers a rich seam of very rare sunstones that will quickly make him a profitable man. After this discovery, Holloway’s attitude leads to complications surrounding whose pockets the new wealth will fall into. To complicate the situation further, Holloway meets a new creature never before encountered on Zarathustra XXIII. And they might be sentient.

Fuzzy Na
HBalikov
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of Scalzi’s wittiest/funniest efforts. But that doesn’t mean he won’t take up a serious topic. Here it is: If humans exploit a planet that has a sentient species on it, what are the consequences?
Jack Holloway has been hired by the big corporation to find valuable material that can be mined. He and his dog, Carl, have been at this for several years. Jack has trained Carl to set off explosives……but that’s another part of the plot. Jack is not your everyday loveable lead character.

“It’l
Paul O’Neill
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was delightful. It made me chuckle a lot but it also made me very sad. I think its an excellent commentary on what we would do as a race if we ever travel amongst the stars.

As a general point, I don't know how I feel about book reboots. I hate the film industry for doing nothing but pointless reboots and I'd hate for books to follow suit. That said I havent read Little Fuzzy, the orginal version of this book that Scalzi updated. Thoughts? Are there very many book reboots out there? Do they
Mimi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick, fun, humorous story about ecology, sustainable living, and ethics.

A snarky unfortunate contractor, Jack Holloway, who’s down on his luck, accidentally struck gold which then sets in motion a series of events that pit him against Zaracorp, a powerful entity that more or less owns the planet and is looking to exploit Holloway’s discovery. In short, they want him out of the way, permanently, but he wouldn’t give in so easily. What follow are hilarious exchanges of corporate speak and lawy
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I admit I've never read any of Mr. Piper's works but now I've got a real hankering to do so. I loved this story. It had everything. Furries, exploitation, edge-of-the-seat legal drama, and one hell of a tinseltown ending. I was almost swearing to myself that I was reading a Heinlein novel that was updated to modern standards until I realized, for the tenth time, that I was reading one of my favorite modern authors, Mr. John Scalzi, and I subsequently face-palmed myself.
This was a quick and easy
Veronique
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read
Now that my other half has found the wonder that are audiobooks, I’m introducing him to some of my favourite scifi novels. Well, starting with the fun ones :0)
——
Scalzi is soon becoming one of my go-to scifi authors when I want an entertaining read, mixing adventure with humour while having a serious undercurrent.

In this instance, we have the stereotypical big bad corporation out to exploit a planet for all its resources, which it can carry on doing by law unless the newly found native cr
Lindsey Rey
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was pure awesomness!!! HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! Perfect for your first science fiction book or first John Scalzi book!
aPriL does feral sometimes
So, the neighbor's cat looks up at me and meows.

"What? You want in my house?" I ask, looking into his yellow eyes which are fixed on me, compelling me to interact with him.

He looks 'hopefully' into my eyes.

"You think if you stare at me, I'm gonna get all mushy and gooey and let you enjoy some of this delicious cooked chicken I just bought, and what I plan to put on my plate as soon as I open this door?"

His lower jaw trembles as a pathetic mew stutters from his lips. He winds his black and whit
Penny
Simply awesome! This book really wasn't what I was expecting and I have to say I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

I really liked the main characters and I have to say that Carl is one of my all time favourite characters! :) Jack is hilarious and complex and flawed and very real. I immediately enjoyed his attitude towards authority and found his banter with anyone who tried to enforce rules on him very amusing. The extensive cast of characters that Jack meets and encounters throughout
Mili
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
An adorable and fuzzy read :). It took me a while to warm up to the writing so that it read fluently. Its a short book and covers one thing, getting the fuzzies recognized as 'people'. This way the mining of the planet would stop and not emptied out. You follow Jack and his dog. There is an animal factor to this plot along with the fuzzies that makes it all cute.

Its entertaining and funny with adventure :) Safe the fuzzies!
3.5 stars~
Carolyn
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, sf
Jack Holloway a debarred lawyer and now independent mining contractor has just found a major seam of a rare gem on the planet Zarathustra that will make him and ZaraCorp, the company he's working for very rich. ZaraCorp intends to strip the planet of all valuable minerals before moving on to the next one. However, mining is only allowed on planets without sentient life so when Jack later discovers a small fuzzy animal that may prove to be sentient he faces the prospect of losing a fortune.

This
Chris
How is it that this book has been out for 4 years and I'm just now reading it? I remember when it came out thinking that it was an homage to H. Beam Piper's novel (which it is), and that I'd need to have read that one to get this one. That's not the case; after doing a little more looking, I saw that this is a reboot of the original, rather than a sequel. Scalzi explains all of this very well in his introduction.

Well, today was a good day for it, so that worked out; I needed a good distraction.
Silvana
3.5 stars. It is a cute novel, (mostly) literally and (somewhat) figuratively. Started with a dog being taught to detonate stuff and followed by a discovery of cute cat-like creatures who are smarter than the awfully cute dog.

Then it launched into a countless series of legal debate. What I meant by countless is a lot. All dialogue is about legal thingies it made me feel like I am watching Law and Order (in Space), A Few Good Men (Corporate version), or Ally McBeal (with dancing animals). Anyway,
Jim
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2fiction, 1ebook, scifi, humor
I really liked this. I haven't read Piper's novel or forgot it if I ever did, so I can't make any comparisons. Typical of Scalzi, it was a quick, well told tale full of great characters. The hero of the story is wonderful. He's quite the rascal. This is a space opera, has an exotic clime, & a fairly obvious plot. If you're looking for SF entertainment, you'll find it here. No great revelations or enduring wisdom, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Update: in March 2017, I finally got around to reading L
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
This was an entertaining science fiction standalone filled with humor. The story started out light in tone, but became more serious and emotional as the story progressed.The themes of corporate greed and environmental protectionism were simple yet effective. The fuzzy creatures were adorable, but my favourite aspect of the story were the litigation. I need to find more sci fi books involving legal jargon and court cases.
Rose
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Little Fuzzy is one of those books that Goodreads has been recommending to me since I joined, so it's been going on for a while. I occasionally look at it but then look at when it was written and decide against it. Some things don't age well and I really had the impression I was going to be reading a story with Ewoks in it.

Then I find out it's been remade, by Scalzi no less. OK, so now it's a must-read. Which I did in a day. And it wasn't what I thought it would be. It was much, much better and
Sanaa
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4.5 Stars] This one was pretty brilliant! Hilarious, witty, emotional, and even a little bit cheesy (both the good and bad kind of cheese), Fuzzy Nation will literally give you all of the fuzzy feelings, make you fist pump, and of course squeal in delight. I think I particularly loved how smart out main protagonist is. Sure he bugs you, but his dog is adorable so that makes up for it (mostly). This one was really close to a five star rating, like so freaking close, but something about the chees ...more
Jeffrey
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Fuzzy Nation is an interesting concept. Scalzi's book has the same characters, and is basically the same novel as Little Fuzzy, H. Beam Piper's award winning novel, just re-imagined and retold. Think of it as Little Fuzzy 2.0

I have read Little Fuzzy and its sequels, including the well done book by William Tuning. Its interesting that Scalzi did not do a sequel or another book with similar aliens and similar events, but with his own characters.

Scalzi, I would guess, if asked would state that his
Kaethe
2011, June 14

Used to be Asimov wrote mysteries. He enjoyed crafting little puzzles set on other worlds that could only be solved by considering conditions on those planets. The first Robot books were all mysteries. Scalzi brings that kind of plotting to his re-imagining of Little Fuzzy. The result is entertaining as hell. Corporate machinations, legal maneuvering, the suppositions and discoveries of scientists, and the fuzzys who are unspeakably cute and clever cats. He's thrown in humor and pat
line of fuzzies 2 45 Jun 21, 2020 10:24AM
Play Book Tag: Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi - 4.5 stars 2 12 Feb 04, 2019 10:24AM
Beyond Reality: Fuzzy Nation -- Finished Reading **SPOILERS LIKELY!** 14 27 Apr 28, 2018 06:11AM
Beyond Reality: Fuzzy Nation -- Roll Call and First Impressions **NO SPOILERS!** 8 19 Apr 12, 2018 07:11PM
Cyborg Knights: January 2018 Sci-Fi Selection: Fuzzy Nation 1 4 Mar 09, 2018 04:55PM
Sci-Fi Group Book...: Fuzzy Nation 1 10 Jul 19, 2017 01:05AM

• Worm Holes (Quantum Roots, #2)
  • The Lost Intelligence (Lost Starship #12)
  • The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
  • Split Second (Split Second, #1)
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Children of Time (Children of Time, #1)
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)
  • Station Eleven
  • Unparalleled
  • Warriors (Hell Divers #7)
  • The Service of Mars (Starship's Mage,  #9)
  • Dune
  • A World of Secrets (The Firewall Trilogy, #2)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
  • The Fuzzy Conundrum (Little Fuzzy Book 6)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
See top shelves…
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)

Fuzzy Sapiens (8 books)
  • Little Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1)
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
  • Fuzzies and Other People (Fuzzy Sapiens, #3)
  • Fuzzy Bones (Fuzzy Sapiens #4)
  • Golden Dream: A Fuzzy Odyssey (Fuzzy Sapiens #5)
  • Fuzzy Ergo Sum (Fuzzy Sapiens #8)
  • Caveat Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens #9)